PDA

View Full Version : Federal workers owe over $3.4 billion in back taxes

pwaldo
01-27-2012, 06:39 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/thousands-federal-workers-owe-back-143140624.html

President Barack Obama has preached that all Americans should pay their fair share in taxes, but a government report finds that tens of thousands of federal employees from staffers in Congress to federal agencies and even Obama's executive office collectively owe the government billions in back taxes.

Data from the Internal Revenue Service found that more than 279,000 federal employees and retirees owed $3.4 billion in back income taxes as of Sept. 30, 2010.

The data showed that 467 employees of the House of Representatives, or about 4.2 percent of the workforce, owed more than $8.5 million. In the Senate, 217 employees, or about 3 percent of the workforce, owed $2.13 million.

Obama's staff was not immune, either, with 36 people in Obama's executive office of nearly 1,800 workers about 2 percent owing the government $833,970 in back taxes.

Obama used part of his State of the Union address Tuesday night to promote economic fairness, arguing for changes in the tax code that would create a minimum tax rate of at least 30 percent on anyone making more than $1 million. The finances of one of his chief Republican rivals, Mitt Romney, has been scrutinized because he, like many millionaires, pays a lower rate because most of his income came from investments, which are taxed at a lower rate.

The IRS report attracted the attention of Republicans, who said it undercut the president's argument on taxes. "If Obama wants people to pay their 'fair share,' perhaps he should start with his own staff," tweeted Republican National Committee chairman Reince Priebus.

White House spokeswoman Amy Brundage said the annual report was released by the IRS because there is a "high standard for government employees."

Overall, the total amount owed is down slightly from September 2009, when more than 282,000 federal workers owed $3.3 billion in taxes.

Among Cabinet agencies, the departments of Education and Housing and Urban Development had the highest delinquency rates, at nearly 4 percent. The Treasury Department had the lowest delinquency rate, at nearly 1 percent.

ensbergcollector
01-27-2012, 06:47 PM
this is nothing new. If I remember correctly, multiple of his personal appointments owed a ton in back taxes when they were first appointed.

tsjct
01-28-2012, 12:31 PM
all the OSCAMA backers know this but they dang sure don't want to talk about it. It would take time away from Bashing republicans.

habsheaven
01-28-2012, 10:30 PM
One minute you all want the government to get out of your business, the next minute you are criticizing Obama for not hounding his staff to pay their taxes. Which is it? You want the government holding your hand or not?

INTIMADATOR2007
01-29-2012, 11:39 AM
One minute you all want the government to get out of your business, the next minute you are criticizing Obama for not hounding his staff to pay their taxes. Which is it? You want the government holding your hand or not?

I don't think that asking the very same people who are trying to loot our pockets to pay their fair share is wanting them to hold our hand ,but just do what you are asking us to do . Maybe the next worthless speech the presbo has should be to ask the same crooks ripping off our country to pay their fair share .

OnePimpTiger
01-29-2012, 01:19 PM

Yes, we want the government to stay out of our business...but it won't. If the regular citizen is punished for not paying taxes, federal employees better as well. Just another example of the cronyism Obama promised to end in Washington, but is prospering as much now as ever.

Star_Cards
01-30-2012, 08:04 AM
I find it odd that most of the posters as well as the OP want to just harp on the 36 Obama staff members rather than discuss the topic of 279,000 federal employees and retirees owing back taxes. Sure, no one, even people in Obama's administration should not owe back taxes, but don't you find the fact that there are 467 employees of the House of Representatives owing $8.5 million and 217 in the Senate owing $2.13 million a tad bit more alarming? That's $10+ million dollars as opposed to $833,970. I get that an administrations employees need to lead by example as well, but do senators and house reps not need to liove up to that just as much if not more. They are elected officials... or at least I assume some of those people are. I would have bolded that fact more so than the 36 Obama staff myself.

bottom line, it just goes to show that the taxation needs to be overhauled. It's too easy for people to not pay their taxes even when the IRS knows that they owe the money.

Star_Cards
01-30-2012, 08:09 AM

Sounds like a lot of people just want to bash obama on this and not discuss the actual issue, at least in this case from what I can see. The fact that the posts harp on the 34 obama employees for $800,000 more so than the $10,000,000 from the house and senate prove as much in my mind. I'm all for discussing Obama's shortcomings as you all should know from previous posts but it seems to me that the real issue is how easy it is for anyone, party aside, to not pay on the taxes they owe. Seems like the discussion would be about overhauling that.

tsjct
01-30-2012, 09:01 AM
I would like to see a breakdown of those owing back taxes that are Republicans compared to democrats. I would make a large wager that the % is higher on the democrat side.

Star_Cards
01-30-2012, 09:29 AM
I would like to see a breakdown of those owing back taxes that are Republicans compared to democrats. I would make a large wager that the % is higher on the democrat side.

Why would you bet that? I'm sure this is something that crosses political lines.

ensbergcollector
01-30-2012, 09:46 AM
i agree that it would be both parties. i mentioned obama because he has the ability to crack down on this to some degree. However, if his own personal appointments are held accountable there is no reason to think he is going to make the larger pool accountable for theirs. obviously, the bigger issue is the larger pool of people.

Star_Cards
01-30-2012, 10:49 AM
If we had a better system they could probably monitor and collect easier.

pwaldo
01-30-2012, 01:53 PM
I find it odd that most of the posters as well as the OP want to just harp on the 36 Obama staff members rather than discuss the topic of 279,000 federal employees and retirees owing back taxes.

Care to point out where I "harped" on anyone?

Star_Cards
01-30-2012, 02:24 PM
Care to point out where I "harped" on anyone?

you bolded the 34 ($800,000) people of the obama admin and didn't the $10,000,000 by the senate and house employees. to me bolding them made me think you had way more of an issue with those than the other. that is why I used the term harped.

pwaldo
01-30-2012, 04:14 PM
you bolded the 34 ($800,000) people of the obama admin and didn't the $10,000,000 by the senate and house employees. to me bolding them made me think you had way more of an issue with those than the other. that is why I used the term harped.

Well it really isn't my fault that you thought wrong. You are looking way too into things.....which is your problem and not mine. If you look hard enough for something you can find it even when its not there.

So I guess by going by what you assume then I care more about the cabinet agencies than anything else in the article that wasn't bolded because that was bolded as well?

Of course I care more about the $3.4 billion (you know what the article is really about hence to title but that you keep ignoring that) than the $10 million. I care more about the $3.4 billion than the $800,000. $3.4 billion is > than $10 million or $800,000. Simple math. The fact that I have to spell it out to some people is ridiculous.

If the government wants people to pay taxes then they should make sure that the people working there pay them as well and maybe even first to "set an example". If somebody in the government is pushing to raise taxes then he should very well make sure everyone on his staff is paying them or he will look like a fool since he is going after people following the law while ignoring the problem he can easily tackle. If the government doesn't go after everyone equally then it looks like the government is playing favorites with people who work there since regular citizens wouldn't be treated this nicely or maybe the whole income tax system doesn't work since those enforcing it and talking about increasing it can't even follow their own rules/laws.

habsheaven
01-30-2012, 05:39 PM
Well it really isn't my fault that you thought wrong. You are looking way too into things.....which is your problem and not mine. If you look hard enough for something you can find it even when its not there.

So I guess by going by what you assume then I care more about the cabinet agencies than anything else in the article that wasn't bolded because that was bolded as well?

Of course I care more about the $3.4 billion (you know what the article is really about hence to title but that you keep ignoring that) than the $10 million. I care more about the $3.4 billion than the $800,000. $3.4 billion is > than $10 million or $800,000. Simple math. The fact that I have to spell it out to some people is ridiculous.

If the government wants people to pay taxes then they should make sure that the people working there pay them as well and maybe even first to "set an example". If somebody in the government is pushing to raise taxes then he should very well make sure everyone on his staff is paying them or he will look like a fool since he is going after people following the law while ignoring the problem he can easily tackle. If the government doesn't go after everyone equally then it looks like the government is playing favorites with people who work there since regular citizens wouldn't be treated this nicely or maybe the whole income tax system doesn't work since those enforcing it and talking about increasing it can't even follow their own rules/laws.

Wow. I had no idea that the President, with all his other duties, was the tax collector too. You guys should really being paying him more if you expect him to be knocking on doors and making phone calls to chase down late payers.

AUTaxMan
01-30-2012, 05:51 PM
I think the IRS has a 13% noncompliance rate when it comes to personal income taxes, so those numbers are actually much better than the general public (as they should be). Also, just because the IRS claims you owe them money doesn't mean you do.

pwaldo
01-30-2012, 05:58 PM
Wow. I had no idea that the President, with all his other duties, was the tax collector too. You guys should really being paying him more if you expect him to be knocking on doors and making phone calls to chase down late payers.

Where did I say he was the tax collector?

How hard is it to hire staff that doesn't break the law? How hard is it for him or anybody else to fire staff that has broken the law? Do you even know what the IRS is? You know the people who's job it is to chase down people that don't pay. Why haven't they gone after the federal employees?

duwal
01-30-2012, 06:02 PM
I think the IRS has a 13% noncompliance rate when it comes to personal income taxes, so those numbers are actually much better than the general public (as they should be). Also, just because the IRS claims you owe them money doesn't mean you do.

that's what I was thinking. I think if you went to most large groups or corporations they would be just fine with 2% of their employers owing back taxes. As you said that is well, well below the average

habsheaven
01-30-2012, 07:16 PM
Where did I say he was the tax collector?

How hard is it to hire staff that doesn't break the law? How hard is it for him or anybody else to fire staff that has broken the law? Do you even know what the IRS is? You know the people who's job it is to chase down people that don't pay. Why haven't they gone after the federal employees?

I should ask you if YOU know what the IRS is. Just because someone owes taxes does not mean they have broken the law and should be fired. Where did you come up with that logic?

ensbergcollector
01-30-2012, 07:48 PM

i don't think he is and I don't think he has anything to do with the majority of these people. my issue was when it came out that some of his personal appointments owed back taxes. at that point he is well within his rights and power to tell his friends that they need to set an example.

INTIMADATOR2007
01-30-2012, 10:15 PM

The least he could do is collect some owed taxes . He gets on the TV everynight telling doctors how they will run there hospitals and clinics , He tells oil companies when and where they can get oil , He tells insurance companies who they can cover and who they can't cover, He tells banks when and where they can lend money , He tells automobile companies what they can build and how many they can build and how much gas they can burn , But yet you think it's not his job to help collect on some owed back taxes . The way the left talks about him he is Superman and can do anything .

tsjct
01-30-2012, 10:21 PM
I should ask you if YOU know what the IRS is. Just because someone owes taxes does not mean they have broken the law and should be fired. Where did you come up with that logic?

Internal Revenue Service and YES if you do not pay your taxes YOU are BREAKING the law. Its a LAW that you must pay taxes and if you do not your BREAKING the law. Come on down here get a job and don't pay your taxes and see where you end up. I don't think you know as much as you think you do about the USA. I love how you tell us how our country should be run and how you know how everything is done here. Our government will GARNISH wages for back child support you think they will let you get away with not paying taxes. They would have no way to KEEP on spending like they do. A lot of people are in JAIL for not paying taxes. Called Tax Evasion.

habsheaven
01-31-2012, 07:07 AM
Internal Revenue Service and YES if you do not pay your taxes YOU are BREAKING the law. Its a LAW that you must pay taxes and if you do not your BREAKING the law. Come on down here get a job and don't pay your taxes and see where you end up. I don't think you know as much as you think you do about the USA. I love how you tell us how our country should be run and how you know how everything is done here. Our government will GARNISH wages for back child support you think they will let you get away with not paying taxes. They would have no way to KEEP on spending like they do. A lot of people are in JAIL for not paying taxes. Called Tax Evasion.

SMH .. Try reading what I write. I didn't say anything about Tax Evasion. I was talking about submitting your taxes and having a balance owing. That is not against the law in your country or mine.

tsjct
01-31-2012, 09:09 AM
SMH .. Try reading what I write. I didn't say anything about Tax Evasion. I was talking about submitting your taxes and having a balance owing. That is not against the law in your country or mine.

Well since this thread is talking about people OWING BACK TAXES and they are NOT PAID that yes it is breaking the LAW. I owe taxes right now but they are not due until April and i will pay them before they are due so NO i am not breaking the law. This being said if i do not pay them before APRIL deadline I AM BREAKING THE LAW and i will be fined for that. :rolleyes:

AUTaxMan
01-31-2012, 11:50 AM
If the IRS says you owe back taxes but you claim that you don't, the IRS still considers you owing back taxes until proven otherwise. My point is that you can't trust the numbers provided by the IRS any more than you can the taxpayers who "owe" back taxes.