PDA

View Full Version : Jesus & a relationship with Him

bangsportscards
01-30-2012, 05:32 PM
I'm starting this thread for the community to openly share any thoughts and experiences they have in relation to their partnership with Jesus Christ.

For me Jesus is the central point of everything in life & I am hoping to hear some encouraging, faith building messages of how He is or has influenced your life.

Even if you aren't aware of Jesus in this light, you also can feel free to discuss matters.

Blessings & God bless all.

Brian

MadMan1978
01-30-2012, 08:24 PM
Thread has been mod to Politics and Religion

gatorboymike
01-31-2012, 04:51 AM
Any marriage counselor can tell you that a one-way relationship is not really a relationship.

steelers#1fan
01-31-2012, 06:23 AM
I walk the narrow path everyday. It seems in these times it is the less taken route.

mrveggieman
01-31-2012, 09:15 AM
I don't have a problem with anyone following Jesus/Budhah/Allah or whatever works for them. I do have a problem with people using their chosen diety as an excuse to be a jerk.

bangsportscards
01-31-2012, 11:02 AM
Yes, the narrow path, indeed is a battle to fight and worthwhile from what I've experienced.

Thanks for the input guys.

Brian

ensbergcollector
01-31-2012, 11:29 AM
as everyone here knows, I am a christian. While I would hope that all people would follow jesus, i don't have a problem with people following whatever god they choose. i have an issue with people who claim to follow a certain religion but nothing in their words or actions would support the claim.

mrveggieman
01-31-2012, 11:41 AM
as everyone here knows, I am a christian. While I would hope that all people would follow jesus, i don't have a problem with people following whatever god they choose. i have an issue with people who claim to follow a certain religion but nothing in their words or actions would support the claim.

That's the case with all with all people from christians to non-christians.

pghin08
01-31-2012, 11:42 AM

Agree 100%. If you're going to live the life, live it. Most people who identify themselves as Christian are gracious and loving people. I went to a Catholic college, and there were plenty of great people as well, though there were a good bit who claimed to be devout Catholics, yet never wanted to live the life of one.

ensbergcollector
01-31-2012, 11:43 AM
That's the case with all christians as well as non-christians.

huh? are you saying no one lives like they are supposed to? Or are you making sure i know that people who claim to be christians "do it too"? i was thinking more of people who claim christianity than others because that is what I am exposed to the most.

mrveggieman
01-31-2012, 11:46 AM
huh? are you saying no one lives like they are supposed to? Or are you making sure i know that people who claim to be christians "do it too"? i was thinking more of people who claim christianity than others because that is what I am exposed to the most.

I was clarifiying my post by the time you were quoting it but I do agree that regardless of your religion you should practice what you preach. Don't go around acting all holier than thou and your stuff dosen't stink because eventually you will be exposed. This goes for all from christians, jews, muslims or whatever your flava of the month is.

ensbergcollector
01-31-2012, 11:56 AM
I was clarifiying my post by the time you were quoting it but I do agree that regardless of your religion you should practice what you preach. Don't go around acting all holier than thou and your stuff dosen't stink because eventually you will be exposed. This goes for all from christians, jews, muslims or whatever your flava of the month is.

i think the issue is less people acting holier than thou then it is people claiming they are christian, jewish, muslim, etc. and not once acting like they believe anything their respective religion teaches.
the number of people who actually act holier than thou seems to be pretty low. The number of people who live carnal immoral lives while claiming to be religious seems to be everywhere.

bangsportscards
01-31-2012, 04:54 PM
Something to thing about here.

Try not to base too much your idea of God on what you see in other's lives as everyone does come up short in how they live and we all need the help of Someone greater even if this truth is denied.

Brian

gatorboymike
01-31-2012, 08:03 PM
Something to thing about here.

Try not to base too much your idea of God on what you see in other's lives as everyone does come up short in how they live and we all need the help of Someone greater even if this truth is denied.

Brian

The problem with that is that so many people claim to have had their lives, their personalities, and everything about their very existence fundamentally transformed by this supposed supernatural being, via an intimate, personal, esoteric and inexplicable connection with same...and then they go on being the same grubby scumbags they always were, only now they're more smug about it.

bangsportscards
01-31-2012, 09:18 PM
I honestly can't give a solid response gatorboymike without further specific details as there are many variables to look at in the response that you've provided.

God can definitely change any person, if they allow such. And He can sustain this change as they allow. People can be totally transformed from this foundational divine occurance.

Here's a comment I'll leave us with. A Christian can be changed (born again) and still have a very challenging course ahead which could portray God as less than what another desires. Our nature apart from God is not so beautiful.

Again it's best to base a personal relationship to God not on what others show of God or Jesus but to seek the truth with an open humble heart.

Brian

boba
01-31-2012, 09:41 PM
The problem with that is that so many people claim to have had their lives, their personalities, and everything about their very existence fundamentally transformed by this supposed supernatural being, via an intimate, personal, esoteric and inexplicable connection with same...and then they go on being the same grubby scumbags they always were, only now they're more smug about it.

What are you expecting? When they are saved should they sparkle like Edward? Or maybe have a halo on their head?

Evan after your saved bad things happen to you, you might have a bad attitude some days.

boba
01-31-2012, 09:41 PM

What are you expecting? When they are saved should they sparkle like Edward? Or maybe have a halo on their head?

Evan after your saved bad things happen to you, you might have a bad attitude some days.

boba
01-31-2012, 09:42 PM

boba
01-31-2012, 09:43 PM

boba
01-31-2012, 09:44 PM

boba
01-31-2012, 09:45 PM

boba
01-31-2012, 09:49 PM
Wow, that was a super double post, sorry.

gatorboymike
01-31-2012, 09:56 PM
There's not much I can say to that, either.

People can change themselves, you know. Most of us have something we feel we're supposed to be doing that we're not doing for whatever reason, until something motivates us to actually do it. Religion is one of those things, but not the only thing. And when religion does motivate you to do something, it's easy to confuse your own decision for something externally imposed upon you from a god.

Once again, if you're the one doing all the work in your "relationship," you don't really have a relationship.

gatorboymike
01-31-2012, 10:04 PM

Funny you should ask, because having some kind of clear and unambiguous means by which to determine if someone is "saved" would be great evidence for god's existence.

Christians run around proclaiming that they are saved and true, while other Christians who don't agree with their opinions and politics are unsaved and false. They all claim to be exclusively beloved by, and acting on behalf of, their god, while they're all doing and believing different things. They're all telling each other "I'm saved and you're not. God agrees with me and not you." And to outsiders like myself, that just looks like a bunch of small children telling each other "I'm better than you!"

Then how is being "saved" useful? What DOES it do? What is it good for? If it doesn't make your life any easier or make you any better of a person, then it's not really anything, and for all intents and purposes, the initial good feeling you get from being "saved" is no different from the initial good feeling you get from buying a new car.

boba
01-31-2012, 10:20 PM
Funny you should ask, because having some kind of clear and unambiguous means by which to determine if someone is "saved" would be great evidence for god's existence.

Christians run around proclaiming that they are saved and true, while other Christians who don't agree with their opinions and politics are unsaved and false. They all claim to be exclusively beloved by, and acting on behalf of, their god, while they're all doing and believing different things. They're all telling each other "I'm saved and you're not. God agrees with me and not you." And to outsiders like myself, that just looks like a bunch of small children telling each other "I'm better than you!"

Then how is being "saved" useful? What DOES it do? What is it good for? If it doesn't make your life any easier or make you any better of a person, then it's not really anything, and for all intents and purposes, the initial good feeling you get from being "saved" is no different from the initial good feeling you get from buying a new car.

It should make you a person who tries harder to do good, just because some religious people are hypocrites doesn't mean religion is wrong.

As to what it does for you. For me I don't really have to worry about my death or what will happen to me after because I know were I'm going. I have an extra family in the Church. I stay away from a lot of trouble I could have been in from sin I have avoided. I know that my sins our forgiven. This all and much more.

But I don't really understand why you want to know what benefits it gives you. Do you live your life doing just whats best for yourself? The Christian life isn't about the benefits in this life, it's about going to heaven and bringing as many as you can with you. A lot of people have died for the faith in the past.

gatorboymike
01-31-2012, 10:51 PM
It should make you a person who tries harder to do good, just because some religious people are hypocrites doesn't mean religion is wrong.

It means either they have not actually experienced the transformative effect of religion, or there is no transformative effect of religion. That gets back into the whole "I'm a true Christian and you're a false Christian" dilemma. What religion is, is a mass of generally well-intentioned but weak-willed people being led around and manipulated at their own expense, by and for the benefit of, an elite group of strong-willed but ill-intentioned people.

As to what it does for you. For me I don't really have to worry about my death or what will happen to me after because I know were I'm going. I have an extra family in the Church. I stay away from a lot of trouble I could have been in from sin I have avoided. I know that my sins our forgiven. This all and much more.

A sense of community is fine. As for the rest of that stuff, you don't actually know that. You just believe it. My whole question is how are we supposed to know? No matter how much you might want something untrue to become true, it won't. No matter how much you believe that an untrue thing is true, it's still untrue. Reality always wins.

But I don't really understand why you want to know what benefits it gives you. Do you live your life doing just whats best for yourself? The Christian life isn't about the benefits in this life, it's about going to heaven and bringing as many as you can with you. A lot of people have died for the faith in the past.

Well isn't it convenient that Christianity offers nothing in this life, the only point of contact you or I or anyone else will ever have with reality. Corrupt and evil men have convinced you to give up your life on earth for their benefit, by promising you something they can't deliver after your life ends, which, also conveniently, there's no way to prove or disprove.

No, I don't do only what is best for myself. But I do ask myself what there is to gain and what there is to lose before I make big decisions. What is there to gain by becoming a Christian? Nothing. Well, maybe a smug sense of self-importance and a sense of community with people I find unpleasant. What is there to lose? Everything.

And by the way, the fact that people have died for it doesn't make it true. Not any more than the fact that the 9/11 terrorists were willing to die for Islam makes Islam true.

boba
01-31-2012, 11:01 PM
Actually I do know, how do you believe the world and universe came about?

StainLss
01-31-2012, 11:15 PM

Mike, I agree with you 100% which I never have before. Anyway I'm a Christian, so that is where my opinion comes from.

As a Christian I see A LOT of people claim to be Christians but they go on living like everyone else in the world. they continue to be the same person. Christianity is about Repentance, which is so much more than saying you are sorry for what you have done. It's changing how you live your life. Now does that mean they are perfect? No not at all, it means they are working on bettering themselves. A lot of people say they know the moment they became saved. But that is not only the wrong way of thinking, it's just ill informed. Salvation is not a moment, it is a journey. You DON'T just say a prayer up at the alter and become saved, so you can continue to live how you were before guilt free.

You have to work at following the BIBLICAL TRUTH OF GOD. Too many people get caught up in the whole "Joel Olsteen" mindset "oh God loves me so I can do A,B,C, and D and still go to heaven because I said that prayer when I was 10."

Mike I know you are an atheist, so you know what it is like to see people saying "oh God says this and God says that" "you can do this.. but not that" Then they do those same things but claim it's okay because Jesus died for them. That is 100% wrong

God didn't send Jesus to die for us, so we could keep living like scumbags, we are supposed to follow his laws. Anyone who says God is okay with me doing these things because "God is love" is totally off base and doesn't understand God's Love. We only have a human interpretation of it.

I see this every day Mike, and it bothers me and I am a Christian. The church is full of Hypocrites. Say one thing and do another, while Christians still sin we are not supposed to be okay with it and let it continue freely. We are supposed to fight it.

I know for a fact you will NEVER EVER see some one preaching God's word that does not break God's law. (besides Jesus) Christians need to acknowledge that and try to move past what they are sinning with. We need to look to Jesus and his word for guidance, if we look to people we will always be let down.

Sorry for the long post... I hope it kinda made sense
-John

bangsportscards
01-31-2012, 11:40 PM
Christianity is easy.

And it can be challenging.

God is always speaking to all of us. We aren't always able to hear.

He want over ride your free will.

And a strong will apart from God is nothing more than pride. Actually life like this is really hard.

It's nothing to become a Christian & being born again is the key.

The next step after becoming a Christian is letting the Holy Spirit super naturally transform your inside being.

The Christians that are hypocrites are sadly missing is some area of the life God has provided. Or perhaps they are misled and not even a Christian, not being born again.

Christians are blessed by a loving God.

How can you not love Someone who gives you a more effective life, helps you with power to deal with issues, then gives you truth and guidelines to live victorious in all areas of life; family, relationships, finances, health, etc. This is the biblical God.

It's an awesome journey & the best thing available.

Every person needs solutions to life. It's when we go trying to figure things out in the wrong places that disorder and confusion enters.

It's all good in the end.

Praise Jesus!

Brian

gatorboymike
02-01-2012, 12:15 AM
Actually I do know, how do you believe the world and universe came about?

Well, to quote a popular YouTuber, "If you can't show it, then you don't know it, and you shouldn't say that you do."

And I don't know how the universe came about, because our current understanding of physics breaks down beyond Planck time.

gatorboymike
02-01-2012, 12:19 AM
USC, you're just preaching now. I have nothing further to say to you.

Theodor Madison
02-01-2012, 12:41 AM
Interesting< I read into not only what people say and how they say things are being said. There are many intelligent members that post and many that do not. PHD's, Masters what ever knowledge that we claim to have. Nothing will compare to having the insight to God's wisdom. People who can not acknowledge God tend to fear of becoming less than even man.
God is good no matter who accepts him or who does not acknowledge him.

gatorboymike
02-01-2012, 01:06 AM
Interesting< I read into not only what people say and how they say things are being said. There are many intelligent members that post and many that do not. PHD's, Masters what ever knowledge that we claim to have. Nothing will compare to having the insight to God's wisdom. People who can not acknowledge God tend to fear of becoming less than even man.

Translation: "Even if I'm wrong, I'm still right."

Star_Cards
02-01-2012, 09:04 AM

What exactly do you mean by this bolded sentence?

Theodor Madison
02-02-2012, 01:00 AM
The things of God are only given by God, and until we admit to really knowing nothing. We can not understand the things of God. It is man who always to think all is known or all can be proven. The things of God can not be seen through the knowledge of man. Man has always thought himself to be more, and to know more than he really is, or knows. If we need answers, why search if you can not see. The things of God can only be explained by God. Why ask man.

What exactly do you mean by this bolded sentence?

duwal
02-02-2012, 03:49 AM
Christianity is easy.

And it can be challenging.

God is always speaking to all of us. We aren't always able to hear.

He want over ride your free will.

And a strong will apart from God is nothing more than pride. Actually life like this is really hard.

It's nothing to become a Christian & being born again is the key.

The next step after becoming a Christian is letting the Holy Spirit super naturally transform your inside being.

The Christians that are hypocrites are sadly missing is some area of the life God has provided. Or perhaps they are misled and not even a Christian, not being born again.

Christians are blessed by a loving God.

How can you not love Someone who gives you a more effective life, helps you with power to deal with issues, then gives you truth and guidelines to live victorious in all areas of life; family, relationships, finances, health, etc. This is the biblical God.

It's an awesome journey & the best thing available.

Every person needs solutions to life. It's when we go trying to figure things out in the wrong places that disorder and confusion enters.

It's all good in the end.

Praise Jesus!

Brian

you don't need god in your life in order to have all of that happening. Its called thinking and taking actions for yourself. And not listening for what you think you might hear or what you read in a book and come up with your own interpretation. Its cool, we get it, you need or want someone in your life that isn't actually physically in your life to help you out or 'show you the way.'

Star_Cards
02-02-2012, 10:50 AM
The things of God are only given by God, and until we admit to really knowing nothing. We can not understand the things of God. It is man who always to think all is known or all can be proven. The things of God can not be seen through the knowledge of man. Man has always thought himself to be more, and to know more than he really is, or knows. If we need answers, why search if you can not see. The things of God can only be explained by God. Why ask man.

I'm not following how that pertains to saying "People who can not acknowledge God tend to fear of becoming less than even man." How can man acknowledge God if God can't be explained by anyone else besides him? No man has ever had direct contact with God.

As for your quote above, sounds like two people are having a conversation and one just says "you wouldn't understand" to get out of explaining himself. It's a lot of words, but doesn't really mean a lot to me.

Star_Cards
02-02-2012, 10:53 AM
you don't need god in your life in order to have all of that happening. Its called thinking and taking actions for yourself. And not listening for what you think you might hear or what you read in a book and come up with your own interpretation. Its cool, we get it, you need or want someone in your life that isn't actually physically in your life to help you out or 'show you the way.'

this is mainly how I feel. I draw from my experiences in life and the experiences of people in my life who I trust when I'm trying to figure things out.

shooten
02-02-2012, 11:32 AM
I belive in god i dont claim to be a christian but i was raised that way and i no some really good christians i dont claim to be because i dont want to give the good ones a bad name by being a hypocrite i think everyone has faults and will slip no and again but you really have to make god first in your life if you want to do it right that is how it was meant to be it wasnt meant for someone to go to church on sunday morning and then go out and do things of the world for the rest of the week and claim to be a christian which i have seen alot of in my time so i do my very best not to be that way i may go to church and believe that way but i dont claim to be something im not witch is just a cruch on my part but im hoping someday soon i will get my act together anyways this is how i feel about it it is not meant to make anyone feel bad or make anyone mad i just seen the thread and read some of the posts and thought i would put my 2 cents outthere thanks shane

gladdyontherise
02-02-2012, 11:43 AM
USC, you're just preaching now. I have nothing further to say to you.

This is what always happens, and people say nobody does it though...

I also call it brainwashing. I prefer to think for myself.

mrveggieman
02-02-2012, 11:58 AM
IMO you have to find what works for you and ride or die with it, weather it be islam, christanity, judism, atheism, budhism or anything else. I know what works for ME and I stress ME. I am not God not a prophet I have no heaven nor hell to put anyone in and I will not accept anyone's blood on my hands for following or not following what I believe in. All of us are capable of critical thinking so we have to make a decision that works best for us based on our interpertation of the facts.

habsheaven
02-02-2012, 12:12 PM
IMO you have to find what works for you and ride or die with it, weather it be islam, christanity, judism, atheism, budhism or anything else. I know what works for ME and I stress ME. I am not God not a prophet I have no heaven nor hell to put anyone in and I will not accept anyone's blood on my hands for following or not following what I believe in. All of us are capable of critical thinking so we have to make a decision that works best for us based on our interpertation of the facts.

That deserves a CHURCH !!!:love0030:

bangsportscards
02-02-2012, 12:41 PM
The things of God are understood by the Holy Spirit.

If I were to talk to a certain person about God, and they weren't able to get it, then I would be starting to waste time.

Now down another path. I am a man. Without God in my life I'm limited to what can be done. When I allow God to help me, then I can become all that is intended. And God has made this possible only to happen by believing in the heart of Jesus Christ.

It would not be that I'm trying to be rude or wrong in not explaining away things of God to someone who is against accepting. I'm simply seeing what they can handle and going forth from there.

God is all about moving on. Man apart from God tends to hang onto the past, doing the same thing in life over and over, while unfortunately experiencing the same mediocre results.

God is working to create and restore a broken world.

One last thing, stress summed up is a result of some area of a person's life not believing and acting out the truth from God.

That's it for now guys. God bless and the best to all today.

Brian

mrveggieman
02-02-2012, 12:49 PM
@USCGamecocks I am particularly interested in your (as well as others) respose to my thread where I was asking for an honest and objective answer from P&R since you being a christian should be able to provide and interesting answer. Thanks.

habsheaven
02-02-2012, 12:51 PM
The things of God are understood by the Holy Spirit.

If I were to talk to a certain person about God, and they weren't able to get it, then I would be starting to waste time.

Now down another path. I am a man. Without God in my life I'm limited. When I allow God to help me, then I can become all that is intended. And God has made this possible only to happen by believing in the heart of Jesus Christ.

It would not be that I'm trying to be rude or wrong in not explaining away things of God to someone who is against accepting. I'm simply seeing what they can handle and going forth from there.

God is all about moving on. Man apart from God tends to hang onto the past, doing the same thing in life over and over, while unfortunately experiencing the same mediocre results.

God is working to create and restore a broken world.

One last thing, stress summed up is a result of some area of a person's life not believing and acting out the truth from God.

That's it for now guys. God bless and the best to all today.

Brian

Not sure where you are getting all these tidbits of wisdom, but they make absolutely NO SENSE.

And the bolded part is curious and speaks volumes. You should have ended the post right there.

bangsportscards
02-02-2012, 12:56 PM
Mrveggieman,

I think I'm following you here.

People are in search of something to fulfill & satisfy, even if they are aware or not in their doings.

You've brought up here in the thread a person going with what they feel works or might be right. That can be the issue there. While we have feelings, being controlled by them can ultimately hurt our life if not careful.

Usually it's a past experience(s) that motivates one to choose based on a faulty feeling(s).

We can talk more about this in private if you desire. Feel free to Private Message me anytime.

Brian

mrveggieman
02-02-2012, 01:02 PM
It was kind of leading to my other topic for discussion. All of us on here either have some type of religious belief, are an atheist or possible undecided because based on the facts that are available that is what works best for us. What about someone who converts someone else to a particular religion then find out their religion was wrong in the first place. Please respond back on my thread. Thanks.

Mrveggieman,

I think I'm following you here.

People are in search of something to fulfill & satisfy, even if they are aware or not in their doings.

You've brought up a person going with what they feel is right. That can be the issue there. While we have feelings, being controlled by them can ultimately hurt our life if not careful.

Usually it's a past experience(s) that motivates one to choose based on a faulty feeling(s).

We can talk more about this in private if you desire. Feel free to Private Message me anytime.

Brian

bangsportscards
02-02-2012, 01:08 PM
Ok I am part of a particular religion or system of belief, which I'm choosing not to name any in particular.

And I befriend you, Mrveggieman, and am really excited about what I have to offer you. Afterall hey it seems to be working for me.

You then start coming to where we gather & meet. In time your will starts to like and finally accepts what I stand for. Now you are believing like I do.

So then yes what if what I am telling you is not really truth or what I thought to be right? Now we both have a little challenge, seeing we have allowed this stiff to influence us.

This type of a situation can be a road bump in life. It happens all the time and is a biblical warning. There are so many beliefs outside of simple truth.

Let me say too here, I'm not coming across as one who has it all figured out yet!

We'll go from here.

Brian

gatorboymike
02-02-2012, 04:57 PM

I'm not on board with this.

When you reduce religion to the level of "religion X works for me," you're only talking about your personal preference. Take Christianity for example. If you were to say "Christianity works for me," that's no different than saying "Chocolate ice cream works for me." The problem is, religions make factual claims and they demand that you take them as truth, not simply preference. Saying "it works for me to think that Jesus is God" and saying "it is the truth that Jesus is God" are two vastly, vastly different statements, and religion is all about the latter. This stuff about everyone do what works for them is a modern, new-age mentality that is 100&#37; at odds with and 0% compatible with traditional religions. And anyone who claims to adhere to a traditional religion while adopting that mindset obviously does not have the slightest clue what they have gotten themselves into and they cannot possibly be devoted to their religion in the manner that their religion demands. Religions have never been about personal preference. They have always been about claiming superior knowledge of actual, real-world truths and proclaiming superiority based on same.

Not to mention the fact that if your only concern is what makes you feel good, that is dishonest in the extreme. Matt Dillahunty, host of the Austin-based religious discussion show The Atheist Experience, likes to ask callers these questions: "Do you care if your beliefs are true or not? Wouldn't you like to believe as many true things and as few false things as possible?" Theists often claim that they do care if their beliefs are true, but then they turn around and say they are 100% certain that they are 100% right about 100% of everything 100% of the time, because they and they alone have been supernaturally imbued with supernatural wisdom and goodness by a supernatural being that loves them and only them and hates all the same people they hate. Well, if you're not willing to admit you could be wrong, then you don't really care if you are right. Ideally, you should always be open to new evidence in the event that something you think is true is proven wrong tomorrow. Because if you are proven wrong and you just refuse to admit it, that is the very definition of close-minded (which is, ironically, what theists--who claim to have absolute certainty--accuse atheists--who do not claim to have absolute certainty--of being guilty of). And saying "X just works for me" is the first step to doing that. "I don't care if X is true or not, X makes me happy, so I'm going to believe X no matter what."

mrveggieman
02-02-2012, 05:00 PM
I'm not on board with this.

When you reduce religion to the level of "religion X works for me," you're only talking about your personal preference. Take Christianity for example. If you were to say "Christianity works for me," that's no different than saying "Chocolate ice cream works for me." The problem is, religions make factual claims and they demand that you take them as truth, not simply preference. Saying "it works for me to think that Jesus is God" and saying "it is the truth that Jesus is God" are two vastly, vastly different statements, and religion is all about the latter. This stuff about everyone do what works for them is a modern, new-age mentality that is 100% at odds with and 0% compatible with traditional religions. And anyone who claims to adhere to a traditional religion while adopting that mindset obviously does not have the slightest clue what they have gotten themselves into and they cannot possibly be devoted to their religion in the manner that their religion demands. Religions have never been about personal preference. They have always been about claiming superior knowledge of actual, real-world truths and proclaiming superiority based on same.

Not to mention the fact that if your only concern is what makes you feel good, that is dishonest in the extreme. Matt Dillahunty, host of the Austin-based religious discussion show The Atheist Experience, likes to ask callers these questions: "Do you care if your beliefs are true or not? Wouldn't you like to believe as many true things and as few false things as possible?" Theists often claim that they do care if their beliefs are true, but then they turn around and say they are 100% certain that they are 100% right about 100% of everything 100% of the time, because they and they alone have been supernaturally imbued with supernatural wisdom and goodness by a supernatural being that loves them and only them and hates all the same people they hate. Well, if you're not willing to admit you could be wrong, then you don't really care if you are right. Ideally, you should always be open to new evidence in the event that something you think is true is proven wrong tomorrow. Because if you are proven wrong and you just refuse to admit it, that is the very definition of close-minded (which is, ironically, what theists--who claim to have absolute certainty--accuse atheists--who do not claim to have absolute certainty--of being guilty of). And saying "X just works for me" is the first step to doing that. "I don't care if X is true or not, X makes me happy, so I'm going to believe X no matter what."

Thanks for your imput GBM. I would like to get your opinion on my other religious thread if you would be so kind.

http://www.sportscardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1579079

bangsportscards
02-02-2012, 05:28 PM
The best option is what God says which is Christianity or belief in Jesus is the Way to real meaningful life.

Yes a Christian can show God in a not so pretty light, but this doesn't effect the bottom line truth, and it does dishonor God by a mis-perception. Christians are in as much need of help as a non Christian, they simply have divine power that comes with guidelines (Bible) in order to be completely victorious.

It's not about what feels right, it's about what is the truth.

Going with what feels ok or works for you is not good enough. It may work for a while, but it will not be long lasting and sustainable.

And truth is found in the Bible.

Brian

mrveggieman
02-02-2012, 05:46 PM
@Brian i appreciate your thoughts but how is what you are saying different from what anyone else says about their chosen religion?

bangsportscards
02-02-2012, 08:11 PM
Hey veggieman.

It's from God's Word. That would be the simple straight forward answer.

John 14:6

Brian

duwal
02-02-2012, 09:41 PM
Hey veggieman.

Brian

I thought it came from a book

gatorboymike
02-02-2012, 11:48 PM
"My incoherent and nonsensical ravings from Bronze Age maniacs, which is functionally no different from everyone else's incoherent and nonsensical ravings from Bronze Age maniacs, is true, and everyone else's incoherent and nonsensical ravings from Bronze Age maniacs is false."

mrveggieman
02-03-2012, 09:47 AM
Hey veggieman.

Brian

King James Version (KJV)

6Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

That's all fine and dandy but that still does not answer my question. If I could quote everyone's favorite holy book on here the Koran it says in Koran 3:64

"I bear witness that there is no God but the Almighty God and that Mohammad is a messenger of God."

So again every holy book says that they are right and all else is wrong. So on what grounds can you say that what you speak of is indeed correct?

Star_Cards
02-03-2012, 11:23 AM
"My incoherent and nonsensical ravings from Bronze Age maniacs, which is functionally no different from everyone else's incoherent and nonsensical ravings from Bronze Age maniacs, is true, and everyone else's incoherent and nonsensical ravings from Bronze Age maniacs is false."

well said.

BigBerserker
02-03-2012, 02:38 PM
I shall testify that my personal relationship with Christ has only been beneficial and I know God's desire is for the best interest in my life. If anyone would like to receive information to how they may come to know the creator, feel free to contact me through a PM.