PDA

View Full Version : Disgraced teacher collects $100k a year from NYC for doing nothing

pwaldo
01-30-2012, 07:45 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/disgraced-millionaire-typing-teacher-collects-100k-nyc-184449833.html;_ylt=AmJQqZurCWjQyeTXZGCvap7Nt.d_;_ ylu=X3oDMTRvbzIycXF0BGNjb2RlA2dtcHRvcDEwMDBwb29sd2 lraXVwcmVzdARtaXQDTmV3cyBmb3IgeW91BHBrZwNhN2EyM2M3 OS1lZmYwLTMyMjItOTM0YS03ZmJjMjEzNzA4MDkEcG9zAzMEc2 VjA25ld3NfZm9yX3lvdQR2ZXIDN2UwNzZkOTAtNGFhOS0xMWUx LWJkM2EtMTJkNWJiYzNjNDNj;_ylg=X3oDMTNoamk5N2k1BGlu dGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRwc3RhaWQDMTc2Y2YxNjktN2Y1Ni 0zYjE0LWI4YTAtZjU1MzMyMDVjM2JkBHBzdGNhdANwb2xpdGlj c3xkZXN0aW5hdGlvbjIwMTIEcHQDc3RvcnlwYWdlBHRlc3QD;_ ylv=3

Alan Rosenfeld — a 66-year-old disgraced typing teacher — hasn’t taught since he was accused of making inappropriate comments and leering at 8th grade girls in 2001, but still collects $100,049 a year from the city, the New York Post reports.

And every year he stays onboard, his $85,400 yearly pension grows by another $1,700.

His case is one of seven in the New York City Department of Education, where teachers the department can’t fire are “rubber-roomed” — essentially meaning they don’t do any real work but keep getting paid.

tsjct
01-30-2012, 11:32 PM
GOOD OLE UNION!! And people wonder why OBAMA loves Unions?? Here is just another Example of how powerful a UNION is. They are a Legalized MAFIA.

mrveggieman
01-31-2012, 09:13 AM
GOOD OLE UNION!! And people wonder why OBAMA loves Unions?? Here is just another Example of how powerful a UNION is. They are a Legalized MAFIA.

No you got the unions confused with the tea party. :winking0071:

habsheaven
01-31-2012, 09:54 AM
Is this the P&R board or the Obama board? This is a perfectly good thread to discuss the absurdity of certain aspects of being unionized and automatically it turns into a "Obama's fault" thread. If you read the story, guy's been in this position since 2001. It has absolutely nothing to do with Obama. Start your own "Obama & the Unions" thread if you want to bash him again.

mrveggieman
01-31-2012, 10:01 AM
is this the p&r board or the obama board? This is a perfectly good thread to discuss the absurdity of certain aspects of being unionized and automatically it turns into a "obama's fault" thread. If you read the story, guy's been in this position since 2001. It has absolutely nothing to do with obama. Start your own "obama & the unions" thread if you want to bash him again.

+1

tsjct
01-31-2012, 10:15 AM
Is this the P&R board or the Obama board? This is a perfectly good thread to discuss the absurdity of certain aspects of being unionized and automatically it turns into a "Obama's fault" thread. If you read the story, guy's been in this position since 2001. It has absolutely nothing to do with Obama. Start your own "Obama & the Unions" thread if you want to bash him again.

Who supports UNIONS right now???? OBAMA and all the DEMONCRATS. If this person worked for any other company this would not be happening. But since its a UNION he is still being paid. :rolleyes:

tsjct
01-31-2012, 10:16 AM
who supports unions right now???? Obama and all the demoncrats. If this person worked for any other company this would not be happening. But since its a union he is still being paid. :rolleyes:

+10

mrveggieman
01-31-2012, 10:20 AM
Who supports UNIONS right now???? OBAMA and all the DEMONCRATS. If this person worked for any other company this would not be happening. But since its a UNION he is still being paid. :rolleyes:

And again this guy has been collecting his pension since 2001 when your buddy gwb was in office. I didn't read anything about HIS administration trying to stop this either. Also you cannot give yourself points or a CHURCH. Another member has to give it to you. :winking0071:

tsjct
01-31-2012, 10:22 AM
And again this guy has been collecting his pension since 2001 when your buddy gwb was in office. I didn't read anything about HIS administration trying to stop this either. Also you cannot give yourself points or a CHURCH. Another member has to give it to you. :winking0071:

I felt i deserved the points for my complete truth on the matter. My point is that if this was not a UNION UNION UNION person he would not be getting paid.

mrveggieman
01-31-2012, 10:27 AM
I felt i deserved the points for my complete truth on the matter. My point is that if this was not a UNION UNION UNION person he would not be getting paid.

You may be on to something saying that he would not still be getting paid if it were not for the union but you were way off base by trying to blame President Obama for it.

Star_Cards
01-31-2012, 11:01 AM

seriously, can you have discussion on a topic without bashing Obama or a Dem? How about just talking about the topic and where you stand? There are conservatives and republicans in unions so don't act like they are a complete product of the left.

by the way, I think this is a joke and reasons why unions have lost most of the credibility. There's protecting workers and there's taking advantage of the system and protecting bad workers.

ensbergcollector
01-31-2012, 11:31 AM
democrats are typically the party that supports union rights so I understand how it turns into that. However, regardless of party, this is a clear example of just one thing that is wrong with unions.

can anyone here claim that this teacher would still be employed if he wasn't part of a union?

habsheaven
01-31-2012, 12:13 PM
democrats are typically the party that supports union rights so I understand how it turns into that. However, regardless of party, this is a clear example of just one thing that is wrong with unions.

can anyone here claim that this teacher would still be employed if he wasn't part of a union?

No, and that is one of many reasons why "leftist me" is against unions in general.

Star_Cards
01-31-2012, 12:25 PM

I can't and am also typically against unions and am rather liberal in my political stances.

mrveggieman
01-31-2012, 12:29 PM
No, and that is one of many reasons why "leftist me" is against unions in general.

I'm not sure how things go in canada but in the states unions are a neccessary evil. Especially in right to work states like here in georgia where your employer can fire you for anything except for legally protected reasons such as age, race, religion etc. Employers can even find ways around that if they really wanted to. As long as there are workers and those workers have companies who don't have their best intrests at heart they will always be a need for unions.

ensbergcollector
01-31-2012, 12:33 PM
I'm not sure how things go in canada but in the states unions are a neccessary evil. Especially in right to work states like here in georgia where your employer can fire you for anything except for legally protected reasons such as age, race, religion etc. Employers can even find ways around that if they really wanted to. As long as there are workers and those workers have companies who don't have their best intrests at heart they will always be a need for unions.

and that is what is wrong with our thinking about unions. they are not a necessary evil. how horrible it would be for employers to have a right to fire employees if they saw fit. no, the better option is for our country to be filled with employees going through the motions and teachers not teaching because they know they can't be fired. Yeah, unions have really helped our countries work ethics.
they exist to give money to the democratic party and to defend employees to should have been fired long ago. not to mention take dues from members and then tell the same members that they should strike for a raise.

Star_Cards
01-31-2012, 12:36 PM

see, I don't see that. If unions were so important these days wouldn't we have a majority of the work force in unions? The fact that such a small amount of the work force in this country is not unionized makes me think that they aren't as needed for protecting workers. true there are companies that take advantage of workers, but I'd say that a lot don't.

mrveggieman
01-31-2012, 12:40 PM
and that is what is wrong with our thinking about unions. they are not a necessary evil. how horrible it would be for employers to have a right to fire employees if they saw fit. no, the better option is for our country to be filled with employees going through the motions and teachers not teaching because they know they can't be fired. Yeah, unions have really helped our countries work ethics.
they exist to give money to the democratic party and to defend employees to should have been fired long ago. not to mention take dues from members and then tell the same members that they should strike for a raise.

Or better yet how awful would it be if for a company to have to keep a hard working single mom or dad on the job instead of being able to fire them because their boss does not like the color tie that they are wearing or he had an argument with his old lady and wants to take it out on somebody at his job. The nerve of those unions. :rolleyes:

habsheaven
01-31-2012, 12:45 PM
Up here we have provincial Labour Standard Codes that protect workers. They protect workers regarding issues such as hours worked, vacation pay, severance pay, statutory holidays, different leaves of absence, minimum wage rates, etc. We really do not need unions in most instances.

ensbergcollector
01-31-2012, 12:47 PM
Or better yet how awful would it be if for a company to have to keep a hard working single mom or dad on the job instead of being able to fire them because their boss does not like the color tie that they are wearing or he had an argument with his old lady and wants to take it out on somebody at his job. The nerve of those unions. :rolleyes:

and yet there are thousands upon thousands of workers not "protected" by the unions who manage to survive every day. I'm sorry, the occasional good doesn't even come close to outweighing the bad done by unions IMO. For every worker who is fired when they shouldn't be, there are 10 union employees who have a job who shouldn't.

can you imagine how our economy would turn around if those who want to work were actually able to find jobs in currently union based work places. If those who had no business working were actually able to be fired, it would free up jobs for those who are qualified and want to work.

by the way, feel free to show me someone who was fired because the boss didn't like his tie. Better yet, if you find it, i'll show you how that person won hundreds of thousands in the lawsuit.

unions are better at scare tactics then christians. everyone knocks christianity for its follow jesus or go to hell spiel and yet unions convince its workers that if it wasn't for the union, none of them would have jobs and bosses would walk around with a pitchfork laughing like maniacs as the fire people at will.

Star_Cards
01-31-2012, 12:48 PM

Aren't there legal actions one can take if this happens and they are not unionized? I guess my point is that the majority of american workers aren't unionized so that system must be doing okay without having to be unionized to keep this sort of thing from happening.

Star_Cards
01-31-2012, 12:49 PM
Up here we have provincial Labour Standard Codes that protect workers. They protect workers regarding issues such as hours worked, vacation pay, severance pay, statutory holidays, different leaves of absence, minimum wage rates, etc. We really do not need unions in most instances.

we have those types of things as well, not exact but they do exist. non-unionized workers have rights as well.

mrveggieman
01-31-2012, 12:55 PM
Aren't there legal actions one can take if this happens and they are not unionized? I guess my point is that the majority of american workers aren't unionized so that system must be doing okay without having to be unionized to keep this sort of thing from happening.

Not in a right to work state like here in Georgia. If the company wants to get rid of you they can simply tell you your position has been eliminated. That's it, your job is up in smoke. No warning, no nothing. Granted if they fire you through no fault of your own you will get unemployment compensation but it would be disasterous for most people with a mortgage or kids to lose their job and have to go down to $330 per week before taxes. Companies are aware of this and often use this as leverage against their employees.

Star_Cards
01-31-2012, 01:12 PM
my company can and has fired people (very few) and has laid off a lot of people during the 12 years I've been here. The people who were fired had reasons to be fired. From my perspective there are lots of companies that operate ethically even without unions. Who's to say the companies that hire unionized workers wouldn't do the same?

mrveggieman
01-31-2012, 01:17 PM
my company can and has fired people (very few) and has laid off a lot of people during the 12 years I've been here. The people who were fired had reasons to be fired. From my perspective there are lots of companies that operate ethically even without unions. Who's to say the companies that hire unionized workers wouldn't do the same?

It's possible that a unionized company may still try to fire someone without cause but the union will still fight them. That being said I do know of cases where companies were hell bent on firing someone and did so despite pushback from the union. Ultimately business do whatever the hell the can get away with but having a union gives the little old employees someone that will fight for them.