PDA

View Full Version : Cynthia Nixon: Bald and gay by choice bisexual by birth

mrveggieman
02-01-2012, 11:38 AM
Your thoughts:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/gossip/2012/01/cynthia-nixon-bald-by-choice-gay-by-choice.html

habsheaven
02-01-2012, 12:22 PM
Completely agree with her. I have thought for a long, long time that people's sexual wiring is preset and there are a wide variety of orientations none of which are chosen.

duane1969
02-01-2012, 12:50 PM
Completely agree with her. I have thought for a long, long time that people's sexual wiring is preset and there are a wide variety of orientations none of which are chosen.

You are contradicting yourself. You say you completely agree with her but she says that she is gay by choice. You say that orientations are not chosen.

"I gave a speech recently, an empowerment speech to a gay audience, and it included the line ĎIíve been straight and Iíve been gay, and gay is better.' And they tried to get me to change it, because they said it implies that homosexuality can be a choice. And for me, it is a choice. I understand that for many people itís not, but for me itís a choice, and you don't get to define my gayness for me."

You can not agree with her if you think it is not a choice.

----------------------------------------------------------

For the record, I believe that attractions are "hardwired" but that orientation is chosen.

A man can be attracted to men or a woman attracted to women, but choose to live a hetero life. Likewise one can be attracted to both genders but choose to live a homosexual or heterosexual life.

habsheaven
02-01-2012, 01:18 PM
I am not contradicting myself. She says she was born bisexual, therefore she is attracted to both sexes, and is making a choice to be in a gay relationship.

duane1969
02-01-2012, 02:02 PM
So you agree she is bisexual by birth and homosexual by choice?

Star_Cards
02-01-2012, 02:13 PM

she is bisexual so she is attracted to both sexes. therefore, it's a choice for her of who she is with. However, she's not choosing who she's attracted to. She just happens to be attracted to both sexes.

I personally believe that we are either born with our sexual preferences. A lot of this is explored throughout our lives and is a mystery when we are younger. I believe this because I never choose to be attracted to a person. I just know I'm attracted to them when I see them.

habsheaven
02-01-2012, 02:14 PM

No. She is bisexual by birth and choosing to live a homosexual lifestyle. That still means she is bisexual.

duane1969
02-01-2012, 02:43 PM
She doesn't say she is choosing to live a "lifestyle". I am just taking what she says at face value.

And they tried to get me to change it, because they said it implies that homosexuality can be a choice. And for me, it is a choice.

Perhaps I need to take what she says with more ambiguity and less literal.

Star_Cards
02-01-2012, 02:47 PM
I think it's reasonable to say that homosexuality is a choice for bisexual people. That doesn't mean homosexuality isn't chosen for people who are homosexual and not bisexual.

Even of a person who is bisexual chooses to be in a homosexual relationship doesn't mean they chose to have an attraction to the same sex.

duane1969
02-01-2012, 02:51 PM
I think it's reasonable to say that homosexuality is a choice for bisexual people. That doesn't mean homosexuality isn't chosen for people who are homosexual and not bisexual.

Even of a person who is bisexual chooses to be in a homosexual relationship doesn't mean they chose to have an attraction to the same sex.

I didn't say she chose who her attraction to was. If you read my first post you see that I say that I think attractions are hardwired but the acting on those attractions are chosen.

habsheaven
02-01-2012, 02:52 PM
She doesn't say she is choosing to live a "lifestyle". I am just taking what she says at face value.

Perhaps I need to take what she says with more ambiguity and less literal.

She is saying exactly what she means. You are not interpreting it as she is intending it. If you were, the last quote would not contradict your take on it.

"As I said in the [New York] Times and will say again here, I do, however, believe that most members of our community ó as well as the majority of heterosexuals ó cannot and do not choose the gender of the persons with whom they seek to have intimate relationships because, unlike me, they are only attracted to one sex."