PDA

View Full Version : Catholics upset by federal insurance mandate

mrveggieman
02-01-2012, 03:17 PM
http://www.ajc.com/news/atlanta/catholics-upset-by-federal-1326084.html?cxtype=rss_news

Star_Cards
02-01-2012, 03:27 PM
correct me if I'm wrong but church-affiliated institutions are not churches. I believe they are talking about places like charities and hospitals that are affiliated with catholicism, right? I don't see this as a "direct attack on our religious freedom and our First Amendment rights." It would be like any other employer having to offer this same service, including birth control. Is this any different than a person who is catholic and works for any other company that has to do this? They simply don't take the birth control.

Also, I know that the official stance of catholicism is against birth control, but there are a lot of catholics that do use it.

duane1969
02-01-2012, 03:52 PM
correct me if I'm wrong but church-affiliated institutions are not churches. I believe they are talking about places like charities and hospitals that are affiliated with catholicism, right? I don't see this as a "direct attack on our religious freedom and our First Amendment rights." It would be like any other employer having to offer this same service, including birth control. Is this any different than a person who is catholic and works for any other company that has to do this? They simply don't take the birth control.

Also, I know that the official stance of catholicism is against birth control, but there are a lot of catholics that do use it.

Aren't those organizations funded by the religious organizations that they represent? This is essentially the government mandating that church funds be spent in the way that the government demands. The church provides funds to provide health care services and now the government is dictating what the services provided must be.

habsheaven
02-01-2012, 04:03 PM
This is a complicated issue and I am not sure what to make of it. If the Church is given an exemption, why couldn't a Catholic business owner who employs 10,000 people apply for the same exemption to deny his employees coverage that includes birth control?

Star_Cards
02-01-2012, 04:03 PM
I don't really know exactly. I've heard hospitals used as an example of a company that would be mandated to provide this service including birth control. Do you have to be catholic or part of a certain church to work at that hospital or to go to the hospital for medical attention. I could see where a school that is on church grounds would have an argument against this mandate, but not a public hospital.

Star_Cards
02-01-2012, 04:05 PM
This is a complicated issue and I am not sure what to make of it. If the Church is given an exemption, why couldn't a Catholic business owner who employs 10,000 people apply for the same exemption to deny his employees coverage that includes birth control?

I agree it's definitely complicated. I just think there has to be a limit or it will be taken advantage of.

angel0430
02-02-2012, 09:50 AM
I think this is fine since working for affiliated institutions does not mean that you believe in their faith or whatever. I do not see the issue with this. I hate when they try to take everything out of context when it is really not affecting them directly.