PDA

View Full Version : Komen custs funding for planned parenthood

mrveggieman
02-01-2012, 03:09 PM
Your thoughts

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/31/komen-planned-parenthood-cuts-karen-handel_n_1245568.html?icid=maing-grid7%7Cmaing5%7Cdl1%7Csec1_lnk2%26pLid%3D131751

Star_Cards
02-01-2012, 03:25 PM
I think it's is a bit short sighted. PLanned parenthood provides a lot of valuable services. I don't personally have an issue with them providing abortions but understand that people do. Seems unfortunate to got help them provide breast cancer screenings because of this. As much as they promote finding cures and prevention methods, you'd think this would be a big way to continue to do so.

Bottom line, they have the right to give grants to whatever they want. Although, the choice may cause a lot of people to stop donating time and money to them as well.

jdawg
02-01-2012, 03:27 PM
my buddy is on the board for planned parenthood here locally...and im a big donor to other local charities..food pantry, clothes closet, and such...i got a letter from him the other day asking for 5,000 dollars..in the letter he states how he knows my views...im pro life unless raped or molested..and he wanted me to think if it was me in that teens shoes and had to make the choice lol...i promptly called him and asked him if he was crazy sending me that pity letter...as he knew there wasnt a chance in hell that i was going to donate to any charity that offers abortion as an option to irresponsible teens...i went on to explain to him how if your old enough to have sex willingly your old enough to deal with all consequences accordingly...he went on to say yes i understand but what if your daughter..again he knew i didnt have a kid but tossing pity out lol...and again i told him she would have a long ride ahead of her because id refuse to let her abort it because she was old enough to choose sex so she was old enough to choose the consequences..he says but you would be left with a child raising a child..and i said no...it would be a grandpa and grandma raising a grandkid and i would have zero problems raising my grandchild..as i take care of my own..and he went on to say you would personally raise her kid instead of aborting it..as if he was shocked by my answer i calmly said the baby didnt choose to have sex...the baby didnt ask to be born to irresponsible parents..and ill be damnded if i would let my grandchild suffer because his or her parents were idiots lol...and then he said well your a tough nut to crack and thanked me for my time and then asked what i was doing for the super bowl lol....i guess the reasoning for the rant is dont call donors if you know they dont support your group or groups actions lol

habsheaven
02-01-2012, 03:38 PM
my buddy is on the board for planned parenthood here locally...and im a big donor to other local charities..food pantry, clothes closet, and such...i got a letter from him the other day asking for 5,000 dollars..in the letter he states how he knows my views...im pro life unless raped or molested..and he wanted me to think if it was me in that teens shoes and had to make the choice lol...i promptly called him and asked him if he was crazy sending me that pity letter...as he knew there wasnt a chance in hell that i was going to donate to any charity that offers abortion as an option to irresponsible teens...i went on to explain to him how if your old enough to have sex willingly your old enough to deal with all consequences accordingly...he went on to say yes i understand but what if your daughter..again he knew i didnt have a kid but tossing pity out lol...and again i told him she would have a long ride ahead of her because id refuse to let her abort it because she was old enough to choose sex so she was old enough to choose the consequences..he says but you would be left with a child raising a child..and i said no...it would be a grandpa and grandma raising a grandkid and i would have zero problems raising my grandchild..as i take care of my own..and he went on to say you would personally raise her kid instead of aborting it..as if he was shocked by my answer i calmly said the baby didnt choose to have sex...the baby didnt ask to be born to irresponsible parents..and ill be damnded if i would let my grandchild suffer because his or her parents were idiots lol...and then he said well your a tough nut to crack and thanked me for my time and then asked what i was doing for the super bowl lol....i guess the reasoning for the rant is dont call donors if you know they dont support your group or groups actions lol

This confuses the heck out of me. You are pro-life but you would allow an abortion in the case of rape or molestation despite the fact that the baby didn't ask to be born to a criminal parent.

ensbergcollector
02-01-2012, 03:45 PM
it isn't so much that planned parenthood offers abortions, it is the planned parenthood encourages abortions.

jdawg
02-01-2012, 04:13 PM
This confuses the heck out of me. You are pro-life but you would allow an abortion in the case of rape or molestation despite the fact that the baby didn't ask to be born to a criminal parent.

the parent didnt ask to have sex either in this case...in normal cases the woman gives consent to sex..legal or not legal (statitory rape comes to mind) sure she cant consent in the eyes of the law...but she said yes..in my example im saying if a woman is raped and or molested she isnt given a choice to say no...it was forced on her...i know its confusing but i hope that clears it up a little

mrveggieman
02-01-2012, 04:21 PM

CHURCH!! :love0030:

duane1969
02-01-2012, 04:35 PM
I am glad Komen did this. Not because I do or do not support Planned Parenthood or right to choose, but because when someone donates to a charity their donation should be used for that charity's purpose. I don't think anyone donates to Komen for the Cure with the idea that a portion of their donation will then be redirected to some other cause that they may or may not support.

I have donated to Komen before and on numerous occasions have bought products because a portion of my purchase went to Komen. I always did that with the thought that my contribution was going towards breast cancer research.

The idea that any charity would collect money for one cause and then redirect those funds to another charity of their own choosing is deceptive and as far as I am concerned, should be criminal.

habsheaven
02-01-2012, 06:20 PM
the parent didnt ask to have sex either in this case...in normal cases the woman gives consent to sex..legal or not legal (statitory rape comes to mind) sure she cant consent in the eyes of the law...but she said yes..in my example im saying if a woman is raped and or molested she isnt given a choice to say no...it was forced on her...i know its confusing but i hope that clears it up a little

Doesn't clear it up at all. It says you are not actually PRO-LIFE, you are PRO-hold the careless accountable. If the LIFE of the aborted isn't absolute, than it isn't at all.

habsheaven
02-01-2012, 06:23 PM
I am glad Komen did this. Not because I do or do not support Planned Parenthood or right to choose, but because when someone donates to a charity their donation should be used for that charity's purpose. I don't think anyone donates to Komen for the Cure with the idea that a portion of their donation will then be redirected to some other cause that they may or may not support.

I have donated to Komen before and on numerous occasions have bought products because a portion of my purchase went to Komen. I always did that with the thought that my contribution was going towards breast cancer research.

The idea that any charity would collect money for one cause and then redirect those funds to another charity of their own choosing is deceptive and as far as I am concerned, should be criminal.

I guess you missed this portion of the article:

Over the past five years, the Komen organization has given Planned Parenthood health centers the funds to provide nearly 170,000 clinical breast exams to low-income and uninsured women.

jdawg
02-01-2012, 06:31 PM
Doesn't clear it up at all. It says you are not actually PRO-LIFE, you are PRO-hold the careless accountable. If the LIFE of the aborted isn't absolute, than it isn't at all.

your missing the point....your calling woman who get raped and molested careless? theres a big difference between being irresponsible and getting something thrown on you because of a crime...the mother will never look at that child with love..it will always be a reminder of the guy who raped her and took her gift without it being given to him...does a child deserve that?

habsheaven
02-01-2012, 06:34 PM
your missing the point....your calling woman who get raped and molested careless?

No, that isn't what I said. I said just the opposite. Re-read it, slowly.

habsheaven
02-01-2012, 06:37 PM
your missing the point....your calling woman who get raped and molested careless? theres a big difference between being irresponsible and getting something thrown on you because of a crime...the mother will never look at that child with love..it will always be a reminder of the guy who raped her and took her gift without it being given to him...does a child deserve that?

So the fact that the child is a reminder of something bad is justification to kill it? Doesn't sound like PRO-LIFE to me.

Besides, adoption is a perfectly reasonable option in such cases.

jdawg
02-01-2012, 07:27 PM
No, that isn't what I said. I said just the opposite. Re-read it, slowly.

you better go back and reread it...bud

habsheaven
02-01-2012, 08:12 PM
you better go back and reread it...bud

I will try again.

accountable = making someone responsible for their actions (ie: force them to have the child because they agreed to sex and were careless)

unaccountable = allow them a way out (ie: abortion because they were a victim of rape or molestation)

Now where do you see me calling the victims careless in my earlier post?

---------------------

In both instances the LIFE in their womb is the SAME.

Your defense of the LIFE in their womb is different because of the circumstances of their conception. You are NOT pro-life for the child conceived during the commission of a crime. You are pro-life for the child conceived by a careless couple.

boba
02-01-2012, 11:19 PM
The problem with planned parenthood is that they don't let you tell them where your donations are going. They don't keep records where Komens money went. With about 95% of their money going to abortions, its pretty safe to say that all of Komens $ wasn't going to breast exams.

And surprisingly I agree with habsheaven on something.
If you believe a pregnancy is a life you can't give exceptions at all. Even if a woman was raped It's still a life your dealing with. The baby doesn't have a choice who conceived it. You can't be pro life and have exceptions as it's never ok to murder.

mrveggieman
02-02-2012, 08:19 AM
So the fact that the child is a reminder of something bad is justification to kill it? Doesn't sound like PRO-LIFE to me.

Besides, adoption is a perfectly reasonable option in such cases.

That's a good idea in theory but honestly do you really think that a woman who becomes pregnant as the result of sexual abuse is going to go out of her way to give her unborn child all the prenatal care that he/she needs in order to prepare it for adoption. No I'm not encouraging any woman to have an abortion I'm just providing something to think about. Honestly I don't have any answers but mabey somebody on here does.

habsheaven
02-02-2012, 08:42 AM
That's a good idea in theory but honestly do you really think that a woman who becomes pregnant as the result of sexual abuse is going to go out of her way to give her unborn child all the prenatal care that he/she needs in order to prepare it for adoption. No I'm not encouraging any woman to have an abortion I'm just providing something to think about. Honestly I don't have any answers but mabey somebody on here does.

No, I don't, but if you are truly PRO-LIFE you have to expect her to care for that unborn child. I just do not understand how people can call themselves pro-life and then disregard that stance because of the circumstances of the conception. It either is a LIFE that deserves protection from the beginning or it is not.

Star_Cards
02-02-2012, 09:10 AM
think of all of the extra money they will have to spend on creating pink things to hand out and sell so they can just make more pink things. Seems like funding a company that actually performs breast exams would be a good way to help early detection. And yes I get that growing awareness and education is also key.

I heard on the news this morning that individual donations to planned parenthood were very strong yesterday after the announcement of their pulled grant. I wonder if Komen will see a reduction or an increase depending on what their typical donor thinks about PP.

Star_Cards
02-02-2012, 09:12 AM

He didn't say that women who are raped and become pregnant were careless. He's wondering how you can be pro life and still be for abortions in certain circumstances.

Star_Cards
02-02-2012, 09:14 AM
The problem with planned parenthood is that they don't let you tell them where your donations are going. They don't keep records where Komens money went. With about 95% of their money going to abortions, its pretty safe to say that all of Komens $ wasn't going to breast exams.

Where does this 95% number come from?

Star_Cards
02-02-2012, 09:31 AM
Okay, I found the link where you got that number from. I found these, but they don't seem to speak to dollars. <br />
<br />
link 1 <br />
<br />
link 2 <br />
<br />
<br />
knowing all of the services that PP offers it's hard to imagine...

boba
02-02-2012, 12:01 PM
I stand corrected. It's only about 1/3 of what they do. It's more then 3% though because they count 4-5 different services when someone comes in for an abortion. <br />
<br />
But the reasons Komen is giving...

duane1969
02-03-2012, 06:49 PM
I guess you missed this portion of the article:

Over the past five years, the Komen organization has given Planned Parenthood health centers the funds to provide nearly 170,000 clinical breast exams to low-income and uninsured women.

I read that part. I was also blessed with a sufficient enough intellect to figure out that "giving funds" for breast exams does not mean that the funds were used for breast exams.

I can "give funds" to the local animal shelter to buy 1000 cans of food but there is no guarantee that they will use the funds for that. They could just as easily use it to buy chemicals to euthanize the animals. I have no control after I sign the check.

Once PP has the money it is their discretion as to how to use it. Komen is not looking over Planned Parenthood's shoulder to make sure it is used for breast exams.

habsheaven
02-03-2012, 10:47 PM
I read that part. I was also blessed with a sufficient enough intellect to figure out that "giving funds" for breast exams does not mean that the funds were used for breast exams.

I can "give funds" to the local animal shelter to buy 1000 cans of food but there is no guarantee that they will use the funds for that. They could just as easily use it to buy chemicals to euthanize the animals. I have no control after I sign the check.

Once PP has the money it is their discretion as to how to use it. Komen is not looking over Planned Parenthood's shoulder to make sure it is used for breast exams.

I took that sentence to mean that that is the number of breast exams they have performed over the past 5 years. Of course, if you have doubts you would not read it that way.

duane1969
02-07-2012, 12:28 PM
Interesting. It isn't about abortion but as soon as pro-abortion groups and pro-abortion liberals started raising hell with Komen they reversed their decision and reinstated their financial support to PP.

habsheaven
02-07-2012, 12:36 PM
Glad they did the right thing in the end. For the record, there is no such thing as a "pro-abortion" group, they are pro-choice.

duane1969
02-07-2012, 12:44 PM
Glad they did the right thing in the end. For the record, there is no such thing as a "pro-abortion" group, they are pro-choice.

Right. And there are no pro-gun groups, just pro-choice.

I have never heard a "pro-choice" group speak out against having an abortion, so I think the pro-abortion label works just fine.

AUTaxMan
02-07-2012, 12:44 PM

Pro-choice means that you support a woman's right to choose between having an abortion and having the baby. Planned parenthood is pro-abortion.

habsheaven
02-07-2012, 12:47 PM
Right. And there are no pro-gun groups, just pro-choice.

I have never heard a "pro-choice" group speak out against having an abortion, so I think the pro-abortion label works just fine.

Okay, I get it. All the anti-choice groups are now up in arms because Planned parenthood is going to get their funding back.

duane1969
02-07-2012, 12:50 PM
Okay, I get it. All the anti-choice groups are now up in arms because Planned parenthood is going to get their funding back.

No I am not up-in-arms. I just choose to donate to a different group from now on and intentionally avoid any products associated with Komen.

mrveggieman
02-07-2012, 12:54 PM

So would I be pro choice since I am in favor of everying having the right to chose contraception and education in order to avoid unwanted pregnancies? Never mind that is for a different discussion. My bad. :winking0071:

habsheaven
02-07-2012, 12:56 PM
No I am not up-in-arms. I just choose to donate to a different group from now on and intentionally avoid any products associated with Komen.

I didn't say you were up-in-arms. I wasn't aware that you considered yourself an anti-choice group.

duane1969
02-07-2012, 01:09 PM
I didn't say you were up-in-arms. I wasn't aware that you considered yourself an anti-choice group.

Yes we do... :)

I am not against a women's right to choose. I am just against her choosing abortion...

habsheaven
02-07-2012, 02:04 PM
Yes we do... :)

I am not against a women's right to choose. I am just against her choosing abortion...

Okay, I am not for abortion. I am just for a woman's right to choose it.