PDA

View Full Version : Looking for an honest and objective answer from P&R

mrveggieman
02-02-2012, 11:33 AM
I know that I am asking for the impossible but I am looking anyone who has the guts to answer this. Most of us on here have strong feelings one way or the other on their religious beliefs. Let me give you this. Say you are a (fill in the name of your religion) or you are an atheist. Lets say that you converted thousands of people to your chosen religion or if you are an atheist you deconverted thousands of people from their religion. Now lets say God makes himself know to all and proves without a shadow of a doubt that he is God. He also says that the religion that you were converting people to (or atheism) is completely false and that everyone who you converted and has since died will be dammed to hell for all of eternity and there isn't anything that can be done about it. My question is how would you feel knowing that you have all of those peoples blood on your hands?

habsheaven
02-02-2012, 11:46 AM
First, I would be estatic to know that I will live in some form or another for all eternity rather than my prior belief that &quot;when I am gone, I am gone&quot;. <br />
<br />
Second, I couldn't care less about all...

mrveggieman
02-02-2012, 11:55 AM
You wouldn't feel bad if you were the one who told them about atheism and talked them into leaving their religion to ultimately find out that there were indeed correct and now have to suffer eternal...

habsheaven
02-02-2012, 12:00 PM
You wouldn't feel bad if you were the one who told them about atheism and talked them into leaving their religion to ultimately find out that there were indeed correct and now have to suffer eternal damnation because their turned their back on God?

No, if God doesn't care, and he is the ALL KNOWING one, why should I?

AUTaxMan
02-02-2012, 12:04 PM
I know that I am asking for the impossible but I am looking anyone who has the guts to answer this. Most of us on here have strong feelings one way or the other on their religious beliefs. Let me give you this. Say you are a (fill in the name of your religion) or you are an atheist. Lets say that you converted thousands of people to your chosen religion or if you are an atheist you deconverted thousands of people from their religion. Now lets say God makes himself know to all and proves without a shadow of a doubt that he is God. He also says that the religion that you were converting people to (or atheism) is completely false and that everyone who you converted and has since died will be dammed to hell for all of eternity and there isn't anything that can be done about it. My question is how would you feel knowing that you have all of those peoples blood on your hands?

This is a very strange hypothetical, but my answer is that I would feel terrible.

PackersFan1208
02-02-2012, 12:07 PM
I would say to God "Well isnt your religion based on forgiveness? or just whatever you feel like at the time"

sportscardrage
02-02-2012, 12:24 PM
For me you couldn't feel bad. Like someone else said people do have their own mind. Its the entire you can lead a horse to water phrase. In the end we all are on this planet alone and must make our own decisions. Besides that I'm pretty sure I wouldn't care if I damned a mass amount of people if it meant that I was damned to hell as well, I might be focused on myself a little bit more.

Star_Cards
02-02-2012, 01:00 PM
hmm...interesting question. I would also think it was pretty cool to have 100&#37; proof of a God. I don't think you could say that you had blood on your hands from the people that you converted being damned from your conversion. I think ultimately in any faith situation an individual has to know that it's not 100% what influential people of a faith tells you.

I think another interesting question would be how one would react to learning that their faith, something that they take so personally and is such a huge part of their lives, was proven to be fiction.

gatorboymike
02-02-2012, 04:05 PM
I'd feel crummy that others were being punished because of something I did, although habs has a point...ultimately, they were responsible for their own decisions. But I would still feel at least partly responsible.

Of course, if this god you're talking about turned out to be the Christian god, well then, we all already know he's all about punishing people for stuff other people did. Funny how that fact seems to escape the "personal responsibility" crowd.

OnePimpTiger
02-02-2012, 10:17 PM
This is a very strange hypothetical, but my answer is that I would feel terrible.

Agreed. To me, it's a simple answer...I would feel horrible. Yes, everyone has a brain and can make their own decisions...but everyone is influenced every day many times over, whether they care to admit it or not. Everyone can be and is influenced and if I influenced people to their ultimate demise, to whatever degree, I would feel horrible.

BGT Masters
02-03-2012, 12:12 AM
If GOD would damn people to hell for little reasons such as difference of religion. Even though they were good and just people, he is NOT my GOD. Off to "hell" I go. I wouldn't want to follow a God that would do such a thing.

habsheaven
02-03-2012, 08:00 AM
If GOD would damn people to hell for little reasons such as difference of religion. Even though they were good and just people, he is NOT my GOD. Off to "hell" I go. I wouldn't want to follow a God that would do such a thing.

Agreed!!!

bangsportscards
02-03-2012, 09:08 AM
Think on this one.

Truth is truth.

You can't have many truths. No that is confusion.

So we have one truth to find.

Ok so what if there's one truth?

What is it?

Perhaps there's a true God out there working in hearts convicting of this matter.

Full truth may not come unto we pass on from this life. However maybe we can grow in developing truth in areas of life as life goes on.

What if there could be many beliefs out there that have a little bit of this truth with a mixture of wrong. This here would be a challenge. Perhaps that's what we see in most beliefs around the world. They may be onto something and a little off course.

I believe that people have good intentions and are basically good. The simply need some insight into truth that truly sets you free.

What is this truth then? Could it be Christianity at all?

Where we put focus matters.

Hmmm.

I see Mrveggieman is searching, that's a good thing.

The thing about Christianity is a genuine Christian should care about leading others astray. A real Christian will work with another to find out what truth is for both parties while not compromising personal convictions. They labor in love to help someone else find what they are seeking based on biblical understanding. And Christians come from the standpoint of having an indwelling Holy Spirit help them navigate around how to deal with all types of issues in life.

Let's note I am not fully matured yet as a Christian.

And let's stop here, as I could eventually write a book, and want the introduction read first. Hehe.

Brian

OnePimpTiger
02-04-2012, 12:16 PM

So you don't follow a single law you don't agree with?

This argument always amuses me. Just so I have it right: If it were scientifically proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that Christianity is right, there is a God, if you follow Him you go to Heaven, and if you don't you go to Hell and suffer endless torture for all eternity, you would choose not to follow him because you don't think it's fair? Sound logic.

I understand if you say "I don't believe that is correct." But the folks who say "Even if that is right, I would choose not to follow it"...you can disagree with selling marijuana being illegal, but you'll still go to jail for a long time if you're caught doing it.

BGT Masters
02-04-2012, 12:59 PM
Comparing something like this to laws is silly. You're talking about condemning good people. The God I believe in wouldn't do such a thing, if he would, then I was wrong for believing in such a God. Its really not that complicated, I guess for some people anyways. I would rather go down with the ship then bail like a coward if that means leaving friends/family or other good people behind. I guess one man's sound logic, is another man's nonsense. Enjoy your life raft, I'll do my best to save the women and children you left behind captain.

redmac04
02-04-2012, 04:06 PM
Let's put it this way based on what the bible and "GOD" has preached, no one would go hell based solely on the premise of foregiveness or I forgive you for not believing in me "GOD".

OnePimpTiger
02-05-2012, 01:03 AM
Comparing something like this to laws is silly. You're talking about condemning good people. The God I believe in wouldn't do such a thing, if he would, then I was wrong for believing in such a God. Its really not that complicated, I guess for some people anyways. I would rather go down with the ship then bail like a coward if that means leaving friends/family or other good people behind. I guess one man's sound logic, is another man's nonsense. Enjoy your life raft, I'll do my best to save the women and children you left behind captain.

If Christianity is right, which is what we're assuming in this hypothetical, there is nothing you can do to save yourself, let alone anyone else. I guess one man's nonsense is actually either a complete lack of understanding of the premise...or an untruthful grab at the moral high ground.

BGT Masters
02-05-2012, 12:50 PM
Not all battles have to be won, some just have to be fought. Its a matter of principle regardless of the outcome. I wouldn't want to be in heaven with a bunch of cowards if that were the case anyways. To call what I say untruthful on that matter is utterly wrong.

OnePimpTiger
02-05-2012, 03:07 PM

I thought about this more and you're exactly right. Laws are made by man, can be changed, and can be broken without getting caught in some cases. Again, if we're going on the premise that Christianity is proven right, which is the point of this thread, choosing to that position would be more like choosing to disagree with gravity. Under the Christian premise, it's a certainty that if you don't accept Jesus, you go to Hell. Choosing to disagree with it because you don't think it's fair would be equivalent to disagreeing with gravity, deciding you can fly on your own, and jumping off a skyscraper based on that principle. Yes, you can do it based on your principles, but the outcome will be the same regardless. And if you call someone who chooses not to a coward...Again, I get the point if you don't believe in Christianity, but if we're assuming it has been proven correct, disagreeing with it and damning yourself to an eternity of suffering just because you don't like it is lunacy.

habsheaven
02-05-2012, 03:50 PM
I thought about this more and you're exactly right. Laws are made by man, can be changed, and can be broken without getting caught in some cases. Again, if we're going on the premise that Christianity is proven right, which is the point of this thread, choosing to that position would be more like choosing to disagree with gravity. Under the Christian premise, it's a certainty that if you don't accept Jesus, you go to Hell. Choosing to disagree with it because you don't think it's fair would be equivalent to disagreeing with gravity, deciding you can fly on your own, and jumping off a skyscraper based on that principle. Yes, you can do it based on your principles, but the outcome will be the same regardless. And if you call someone who chooses not to a coward...Again, I get the point if you don't believe in Christianity, but if we're assuming it has been proven correct, disagreeing with it and damning yourself to an eternity of suffering just because you don't like it is lunacy.

That is not what this thread is about. That is only one possibility.