PDA

View Full Version : Obama: Jesus would tax the rich

pwaldo
02-02-2012, 06:38 PM
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0212/72363.html

The rich should pay more not only because “I actually think that is going to make economic sense, but for me as a Christian, it also coincides with Jesus’s teaching that ‘for unto whom much is given, much shall be required,’” Obama said at the Washington Hilton.

“We can all benefit from turning to our Creator, listening to him,” Obama said. “Avoiding phony religiosity. … This is especially important right now when we’re facing some big challenges as a nation.”

AUTaxMan
02-02-2012, 07:36 PM
The only way that logic works is if Obama sees himself as God and believes that the rich have only come upon their wealth as a result of his blessings. Come to think of it, Obama probably believes this.

ensbergcollector
02-02-2012, 08:53 PM
you.have.got.to.be.kidding.me

did he just do a random bible search?

how about we deal with the verse that says if a man doesn't work he shall not eat? wonder how preacher obama feels about that one?

Theodor Madison
02-02-2012, 08:57 PM
I guess mr. O talked to Jesus ???:loco:

habsheaven
02-02-2012, 10:22 PM
I swear if Obama saved a litter of puppies from a burning building you guys would find fault in it. Hate's a powerful drug and I think too many of you have been smoking it for way too long.

boba
02-02-2012, 10:43 PM
I swear if Obama saved a litter of puppies from a burning building you guys would find fault in it. Hate's a powerful drug and I think too many of you have been smoking it for way too long.

So you wouldn't be mad if a GOB candidate said the same thing for one of his policies? Haha

habsheaven
02-02-2012, 10:49 PM
So you wouldn't be mad if a GOB candidate said the same thing for one of his policies? Haha

I might, but then again I do not put much faith in the teachings of Jesus, unlike the other posters on here that are so quick to criticize.

ensbergcollector
02-02-2012, 11:02 PM

so is that your default response now? it doesn't matter if we have an actual, viable, and legitimate issue with something he does? Just label all of us as haters and you don't have to respond to the issue.

PDawson21
02-02-2012, 11:06 PM
you.have.got.to.be.kidding.me

did he just do a random bible search?

How about we deal with the verse that says if a man doesn't work he shall not eat? Wonder how preacher obama feels about that one?

+1

OnePimpTiger
02-02-2012, 11:13 PM
That is exactly incorrect and has been one of my pet peeves for years now. Jesus would not raise taxes because taxes are mandatory. Jesus did advocate giving to those in need...via charity. If it is mandated, it is exactly the opposite of charity.

AUTaxMan
02-03-2012, 12:15 AM

You're on the wrong side of this one, my friend. Obama is making stuff up to sound religious while promoting his agenda.

habsheaven
02-03-2012, 09:03 AM
so is that your default response now? it doesn't matter if we have an actual, viable, and legitimate issue with something he does? Just label all of us as haters and you don't have to respond to the issue.

Show me one thread were you support a single thing Obama has done. Seems you have been on default for 3 years now.

AUTaxMan
02-03-2012, 09:39 AM
Show me one thread were you support a single thing Obama has done. Seems you have been on default for 3 years now.

There is hardly anything Obama has done over the last three years that a true conservative would support.

mrveggieman
02-03-2012, 09:41 AM

Sad but true. SMH.

bangsportscards
02-03-2012, 09:42 AM
Creating equality is great.

It's right to show mercy & love towards those struggling while not having pity on them.

Those fortunate enough to be well off with money should see that the ability to get all income comes from God Almighty.

The most important thing in all this is to lead others to Jesus, the truth, by living it out personally.

And then we will begin to have some restoration as God desires.

Brian

mrveggieman
02-03-2012, 09:48 AM
Create equality.

Show mercy & love towards those struggling.

Realize the ability to get all income comes from God Almighty.

Lead others to Jesus, the truth, by living it out yourself.

And then we will begin to have restoration.

Brian

I'm going to give you some church for that one.

CHURCH!! :love0030:

ensbergcollector
02-03-2012, 10:24 AM

two things:

1. i actually do support a few things he has done (getting out of iraq, eliminating needless jobs and offices that hinder the flow of information between intelligence agencies (we didn't talk about it but the article was a few weeks ago)).

2. regardless of if I have disapproved of everything he has ever done, does not take away the right to oppose something new. In this case, I have a right to express anger at his misuse of scripture for his own political gain.

now, feel free to reply to my opposition, instead of just labeling it hate. I may not like the guy, but at least my opposition is with cause.

mrveggieman
02-03-2012, 10:28 AM
two things:

1. i actually do support a few things he has done (getting out of iraq, eliminating needless jobs and offices that hinder the flow of information between intelligence agencies (we didn't talk about it but the article was a few weeks ago)).

2. regardless of if I have disapproved of everything he has ever done, does not take away the right to oppose something new. In this case, I have a right to express anger at his misuse of scripture for his own political gain.

now, feel free to reply to my opposition, instead of just labeling it hate. I may not like the guy, but at least my opposition is with cause.

Ok I get it first you conservatives accused President Obama of secretely being a muslim. Which if he is, is not illegal for him to do so. Then when you cannot prove that he is muslim and he quotes christian scripture you have a problem when HE does it but turn a blind eye to any other politician that does. SMH.

bangsportscards
02-03-2012, 10:37 AM
What I know in regards to work for a President's ammunition is that what we need more systems set up based on a franchise operation like you see done in a McDonald's, Subway, etc. These are systems you can build up and plant them all over the place.

Now within these franchises you would change the unnecessary labeling of positions (Manager, Assistant Manager, Cashier, etc whatever they are) and teach others on how to equally do all the job functions within a certain industry. And payment should be equal to everyone involved with a team mentality developed while they work together to help others come to the same level of productivity and effectiveness.

That's real honest truth on how to live right in this area of life.

Brian

habsheaven
02-03-2012, 10:51 AM
two things:

If you refer back to your initial post, there was no explanation given. You did not claim he was misusing scripture. For all intents and purposes, it was just a pandering hateful comment quoting opposing scripture. If you would like me to respond in a manner other than how I did, please explain how he is misusing the scripture.

ensbergcollector
02-03-2012, 10:57 AM
Ok I get it first you conservatives accused President Obama of secretely being a muslim. Which if he is, is not illegal for him to do so. Then when you cannot prove that he is muslim and he quotes christian scripture you have a problem when HE does it but turn a blind eye to any other politician that does. SMH.

you know what would make political discussions much easier? if I could take everything that ANY liberal ever said, and act like it was said by every liberal. then I wouldn't actually have to have a mature conversation, i could just throw out something that people said and act like the person I am talking to said it as well. smh

i never claimed he was a muslim, in fact I got roasted on here because my issue was the "christian" church he associated himself with so your response doesn't apply to me in any way. thanks for trying though.

AUTaxMan
02-03-2012, 11:03 AM
you know what would make political discussions much easier? if I could take everything that ANY liberal ever said, and act like it was said by every liberal. then I wouldn't actually have to have a mature conversation, i could just throw out something that people said and act like the person I am talking to said it as well. smh

i never claimed he was a muslim, in fact I got roasted on here because my issue was the "christian" church he associated himself with so your response doesn't apply to me in any way. thanks for trying though.

+1

Let's focus on the things people actually state on here as opposed to you think think they believe. If you don't understand a position taken, ask for clarification or substantiation, and do others the courtesy of responding likewise. Let's pay each other the common courtesy of taking them at their word.

Star_Cards
02-03-2012, 11:04 AM

thinking the same thing.

As for the quote. meh, politicians start talking about god and jesus and I turn to something else. I have no clue how everyone interprets that verse, but it does make sense to me. I've always thought that christianity taught good will to others and community.

and no, I don't take this quote from Obama as saying he thinks he's god.

ensbergcollector
02-03-2012, 11:08 AM
If you refer back to your initial post, there was no explanation given. You did not claim he was misusing scripture. For all intents and purposes, it was just a pandering hateful comment quoting opposing scripture. If you would like me to respond in a manner other than how I did, please explain how he is misusing the scripture.

fair enough. anytime i talk christianity it turns into a bash session so I was trying to avoid that. I would like to stay on topic.

the verse he uses comes from Luke 12:48b and can be read in the context of Luke 12:35-48

the passage deals with servants being given responsibility by their master. Those who are given more responsibility are given more because their master expects more from them. If the master gives them responsibility and finds them ignoring his commands then they will be punished.

the verse is commonly known to be referring to the spiritual gifts God has given us. If God has given us opportunities to serve him, and instead we have pursued our own selfish desires instead, that is a problem. If God has given us opportunities, it is because he trusts that we can handle them.

it is an extremely large stretch to take this verse and make it about monetary issues. I commented first about whether he did a bible verse search because the only way he could come to that conclusion is if he read it, without context, and was looking for a verse to say what he wanted it to.

* after reading autaxman's response, i will concur, that even if the verse is referring to money, it would have nothing to do with taxes.

ensbergcollector
02-03-2012, 11:09 AM
thinking the same thing.

As for the quote. meh, politicians start talking about god and jesus and I turn to something else. I have no clue how everyone interprets that verse, but it does make sense to me. I've always thought that christianity taught good will to others and community.

and no, I don't take this quote from Obama as saying he thinks he's god.

i definitely don't think obama was thinking he was God.

Christianity absolutely teaches good will to others and the community. Not sure how you get from that to "the rich should pay even more in taxes"

AUTaxMan
02-03-2012, 11:11 AM
What that verse means is that because you have been blessed by God, it is your responsibility to share those blessings with others. The theological reasoning behind it is that (a) it requires...

Star_Cards
02-03-2012, 11:14 AM
That is exactly incorrect and has been one of my pet peeves for years now. Jesus would not raise taxes because taxes are mandatory. Jesus did advocate giving to those in need...via charity. If it is mandated, it is exactly the opposite of charity.

I see your point. I guess it's hard to refer to charity in the form of taxes.

AUTaxMan
02-03-2012, 11:17 AM
I see your point. I guess it's hard to refer to charity in the form of taxes.

It isn't hard. It is impossible.

habsheaven
02-03-2012, 11:37 AM
fair enough. anytime i talk christianity it turns into a bash session so I was trying to avoid that. I would like to stay on topic.

the verse he uses comes from Luke 12:48b and can be read in the context of Luke 12:35-48

the passage deals with servants being given responsibility by their master. Those who are given more responsibility are given more because their master expects more from them. If the master gives them responsibility and finds them ignoring his commands then they will be punished.

the verse is commonly known to be referring to the spiritual gifts God has given us. If God has given us opportunities to serve him, and instead we have pursued our own selfish desires instead, that is a problem. If God has given us opportunities, it is because he trusts that we can handle them.

it is an extremely large stretch to take this verse and make it about monetary issues. I commented first about whether he did a bible verse search because the only way he could come to that conclusion is if he read it, without context, and was looking for a verse to say what he wanted it to.

* after reading autaxman's response, i will concur, that even if the verse is referring to money, it would have nothing to do with taxes.

Thanks for clarifying that. I have no issue with your opposition to it being used then.

ensbergcollector
02-03-2012, 11:40 AM
Thanks for clarifying that. I have no issue with your opposition to it being used then.

thanks. sorry for not doing that in my first post. for what it's worth, and i know many won't believe me, I would have the same opposition if a conservative used it.

mrveggieman
02-03-2012, 11:54 AM

It wasn't a knock at you per se but of conservatives and Obama haters in general.

ensbergcollector
02-03-2012, 11:56 AM
It wasn't a knock at you per se but of conservatives and Obama haters in general.

but you do that way too often. rather than address someone's actual post or complaint, you just reference some random comment made by some random conservative and then you don't address the person's actual post. The result being, that you insinuate that the person you are replying to is the one who made the comments.

OBOMBA
02-04-2012, 03:54 AM
which explains why he is the anti christ.

OnePimpTiger
02-04-2012, 01:20 PM
It's right to show mercy & love towards those struggling while not having pity on them.

Those fortunate enough to be well off with money should see that the ability to get all income comes from God Almighty.

I agree 1110%. But being forced to pay taxes is not seeing that ability to get income comes from God. That is giving to charity, making a conscious decision to help the needy. Being forced to do so is in no way based on biblical principle.