PDA

View Full Version : Report says Israel could strike Iran in spring

pwaldo
02-02-2012, 09:31 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/panetta-says-israel-could-strike-iran-spring-report-232458035.html

US Defense Secretary Leon Panetta believes there is a "strong possibility" that Israel will strike Iran's nuclear installations this spring, the Washington Post said Thursday in an editorial.

When asked about the opinion piece by reporters travelling with him to a NATO meeting in Brussels, Panetta brushed it aside.

"I'm not going to comment on that. David Ignatius can write what he will but with regards with what I think and what I view, I consider that to be an area that belongs to me and nobody else," he said.

"Israel indicated they're considering this (a strike), we've indicated our concerns," he added.

The Post columnist said Panetta "believes there is a strong likelihood that Israel will strike Iran in April, May or June before Iran enters what Israelis described as a 'zone of immunity' to commence building a nuclear bomb."

President Barack Obama and Panetta are "said to have cautioned the Israelis that the United States opposes an attack, believing that it would derail an increasingly successful international economic sanctions program and other non-military efforts to stop Iran from crossing the threshold," he said.

"But the White House hasnít yet decided precisely how the United States would respond if the Israelis do attack."

ensbergcollector
02-02-2012, 09:49 PM
it drives me absolutely insane when comments like this get out there. hey, here's an idea, let's tell iran that israel is going to attack them in the spring.

mrveggieman
02-03-2012, 09:39 AM
If Israel is man enough to step to Iran they should be man enough to fight Iran without our assistance.

tsjct
02-03-2012, 12:54 PM
If Israel is man enough to step to Iran they should be man enough to fight Iran without our assistance.

believe me they do not need our support or our permission. They can take care of it fast. The only thing thats holding them back is our government telling them to wait. I can not believe Israel is listening to anything the USA has to say after the way they have been snubbed by obama. I hope Israel turns SAND to Glass.

mrveggieman
02-03-2012, 01:06 PM
believe me they do not need our support or our permission. They can take care of it fast. The only thing thats holding them back is our government telling them to wait. I can not believe Israel is listening to anything the USA has to say after the way they have been snubbed by obama. I hope Israel turns SAND to Glass.

The probably could take the Iran but I doubt that they could take down every middle eastern country without assistance from the united states because that is exactly what would happen if isreal tries to start a war.

tsjct
02-03-2012, 01:20 PM
The probably could take the Iran but I doubt that they could take down every middle eastern country without assistance from the united states because that is exactly what would happen if isreal tries to start a war.

Tries to start a War? They are going to SAVE their country. Iran said they want to WIPE ISRAEL off the map when they get the Nuke! They are Close to getting that nuke and that is coming from OBAMA admin not the bush Admin.

afewgems
02-03-2012, 01:22 PM
Here is an idea, how about instead of putting fear in ppls minds that Iran will attack the usa on its soil, they focus on what is happening ON american soil. These govt folks only care about their wallets.

AUTaxMan
02-03-2012, 01:22 PM

You must have forgotten about the thousands of missiles that are hurled into Israel annually.

mrveggieman
02-03-2012, 01:30 PM
Here is an idea, how about instead of putting fear in ppls minds that Iran will attack the usa on its soil, they focus on what is happening ON american soil. These govt folks only care about their wallets.

That will never happen. It's too much like right. :winking0071:

duane1969
02-03-2012, 06:46 PM

What other Middle Eastern countries would help Iran?

*Iraq is still little more than a police force. We eliminated 90% of their military. Plus, Iraq and Iran are long-time enemies. If anything Iraq would probably end up helping Israel.

*Saudi Arabia is little more than a military police force too. They rely heavily on US involvement to protect their oil fields and won't want to risk that relationship to go after Israel.

*Palestine is little more than a fly buzzing around Israel's head. Israel will probably use this as an excuse to wipe them off of the map.

*Afghanistan is probably the biggest threat to help but they have an internal issue to resolve with the al Queda. Pulling troops from home to fight Israel essentially means accepting that al Queda will take over.

*Pakistan...see Afghanistan

*Jordan will either stay out of it or help Israel

*Syria wants nothing to do with a major war. They are still dealing with their own issues.

*Egypt may get involved but they will hesitate. They have internal issues as well and the last time they messed with Israel they got their butts handed to them and lost a bunch of territory.

There is no one else. Oman, Kuwait and Yemen won't get involved...not even sure they have a military to get involved. Lebanon might be teased into it but they are small and sit in Israel's back yard so if they do get involved they will suffer heavy casualties and Israel might expand it's territory to include Lebanon.

Other than Iran, there is no major military in the Middle East to mix it up with Israel. The real threat is China and Russia. They would love to support Iran in a war against Israel and that will inevitably pull the US in, which means another world war.

mrveggieman
02-06-2012, 09:17 AM
I can see those coutries not wanting a war on their hands but I guarantee none of them will help Isreal. Those countries may bicker amoung each other but they are all united in their hatred of Israel.

What other Middle Eastern countries would help Iran?

*Iraq is still little more than a police force. We eliminated 90% of their military. Plus, Iraq and Iran are long-time enemies. If anything Iraq would probably end up helping Israel.

*Saudi Arabia is little more than a military police force too. They rely heavily on US involvement to protect their oil fields and won't want to risk that relationship to go after Israel.

*Palestine is little more than a fly buzzing around Israel's head. Israel will probably use this as an excuse to wipe them off of the map.

*Afghanistan is probably the biggest threat to help but they have an internal issue to resolve with the al Queda. Pulling troops from home to fight Israel essentially means accepting that al Queda will take over.

*Pakistan...see Afghanistan

*Jordan will either stay out of it or help Israel

*Syria wants nothing to do with a major war. They are still dealing with their own issues.

*Egypt may get involved but they will hesitate. They have internal issues as well and the last time they messed with Israel they got their butts handed to them and lost a bunch of territory.

There is no one else. Oman, Kuwait and Yemen won't get involved...not even sure they have a military to get involved. Lebanon might be teased into it but they are small and sit in Israel's back yard so if they do get involved they will suffer heavy casualties and Israel might expand it's territory to include Lebanon.

Other than Iran, there is no major military in the Middle East to mix it up with Israel. The real threat is China and Russia. They would love to support Iran in a war against Israel and that will inevitably pull the US in, which means another world war.

AUTaxMan
02-06-2012, 10:35 AM
The primary support will come from Egypt. Syria will help too, once their king is overthrown this year.

duane1969
02-06-2012, 11:54 AM
I can see those coutries not wanting a war on their hands but I guarantee none of them will help Isreal. Those countries may bicker amoung each other but they are all united in their hatred of Israel.

Being united in hate and being able to do anything about it are two different things. Israel is the 10th ranked military in the world.

Syria is 35th, Iraq is 36th, Libya is 39th, Jordan is 43rd, Afghanistan is 51st, Lebanon is 52nd...all of them combined would pale versus Israel.