PDA

View Full Version : FL man "adpopts" his girlfriend in legal ploy to protect himself from lawsuit

mrveggieman
02-03-2012, 10:14 AM
Your thoughts:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/01/man-adopts-girlfriend-_n_1247607.html?ref=mostpopular

AUTaxMan
02-03-2012, 11:06 AM
I sure hope they don't get caught making out somewhere (or worse).

mrveggieman
02-03-2012, 11:34 AM
Wouldn't he be breaking some type of incest laws?

Star_Cards
02-03-2012, 11:40 AM
I heard this the other day. What a joke. Seems like this would be illegal if his motive is to protect assets by adopting her and setting up trust funds in her name.

Is there any real reason why anyone over the age of 18 should be adopted? I guess there are probably legitimate instances where it happens by a step parent after a child is no longer a minor, but just seems unneeded considering this woman is 40 years old and in a relationship with her adopter.

AUTaxMan
02-03-2012, 12:15 PM
From a legal perspective, let's think about this. If Goodman is hit with a judgment, his assets will be subject to execution of that judgment. Whatever is in the trust is technically not subject to the claim of the judgment creditor unless there is some legal principle that allows the court to look through the trust and deem the trust assets to be his assets. In fact, the judge ruled that the trust assets were off limits.

Now that the girlfriend is now a beneficiary of the trust, she is presumably (we don't know the terms of the trust), entitled to income and maybe principal distributions from the trust. However, she isn't required to give any of that money to Goodman. On the other hand, if he is wiped out financially in the civil suit (which it sounds like he's going to get hammered), she will be able to support Goodman with her 1/3 of the trust funds (if they are still "together"). Since he will be in prison, a lot of this seems all for nothing. Also, under fraudulent conveyances statutes, he cannot add any more of his property to the trust with the civil lawsuit imminent.

Also, apparently they can legally have relations under FL law without its being incest. However, they probably could not get married.

tsjct
02-03-2012, 12:59 PM
I will adopt her any day of the week.