PDA

View Full Version : Justice Ginsburg: You probably donít want to use our Constitution as a model

OnePimpTiger
02-04-2012, 01:03 PM
Justice Ginsburg to Egyptian TV: You probably donít want to use our Constitution as a model (http://www.memritv.org/clip/en/3295.htm)

ďI would not look to the U.S. Constitution if I were drafting a constitution in the year 2012.Ē

It's good to know one of the people interpreting our Constitution wouldn't even recommend it to another country...

theonedru
02-04-2012, 01:18 PM
I see her point, look at what it offered America and then look at the history and see if it has ever been fairly enforced.

AUTaxMan
02-05-2012, 02:17 PM
Shocker that Ginsburg would say that, since she has been trying to destroy the Constitution ever since she was appointed.

habsheaven
02-05-2012, 02:39 PM
I think the important part of her statement is the year, 2012. No reasonable person would want to use language that's 250 years old to draft something now. Of course, with people guiding their lives on words from 2000 years ago, you can see why they would have no problem with something as new as 250 years ago.

AUTaxMan
02-05-2012, 03:05 PM
I think the important part of her statement is the year, 2012. No reasonable person would want to use language that's 250 years old to draft something now. Of course, with people guiding their lives on words from 2000 years ago, you can see why they would have no problem with something as new as 250 years ago.

The principles of freedom have not changed in the past 250 years, and the primary goal of our Constitution is to protect the freedoms of our citizens.

habsheaven
02-05-2012, 04:53 PM
The principles of freedom have not changed in the past 250 years, and the primary goal of our Constitution is to protect the freedoms of our citizens.

I am sure she would be in favour of copying MOST of the Constitution as it is, but because we are 250 years removed from it, some changes would be appropriate. I think that is all she is implying with the statement.

mrveggieman
02-06-2012, 09:47 AM
The constitution is a worthless piece of paper if it is not enforced. For example let a politician or another powerful person come out and say that he is not a born again christian but he is a muslim and see how much freedom he has to express himself religiously. Also try to legally buy a gun in Washington DC and see how much your second amendment right is respected.

AUTaxMan
02-06-2012, 10:34 AM
I am sure she would be in favour of copying MOST of the Constitution as it is, but because we are 250 years removed from it, some changes would be appropriate. I think that is all she is implying with the statement.

I don't think that is what she is implying. Otherwise, she wouldn't routinely rule to expand the scope of the government's power under the Constitution.