PDA

View Full Version : What are God's responsibilities?

mrveggieman
02-06-2012, 09:51 AM
I saw this thread on another website and wanted to get P&R's spin on it. Regardless of what you want to call God or what you believe his true holy book to be they all have one thing in common. They all tell man what he is required to do for God and what the punishment is for disobeying God's laws. This is not a thread on what's God's laws are or what they should be but rather a thread on if we do follow God's laws what is his responsiblities to his followers. All thoughts and opinions are welcome. Thanks.

Star_Cards
02-06-2012, 10:57 AM
If I believed in a god I would feel that he has great responsibility to all of his followers. To take it a step further I would feel he that if he was "the creator" he'd have responsibilities to all of his creations to some degree regardless of what they believed especially if his existence was ambiguous.

duane1969
02-06-2012, 11:32 AM
One "responsibility". Eternal life in Heaven after mortal death.

mrveggieman
02-06-2012, 11:39 AM

Who is he obligated to give that to? Just his followers? With so much misinformation about what exactly does God want us to do for him how can we be sure?

duane1969
02-06-2012, 11:44 AM
Who is he obligated to give that to? Just his followers? With so much misinformation about what exactly does God want us to do for him how can we be sure?

What misinformation? Some left-wing nutjob barking out his erroneous interpretation of what the Bible means is not misinformation, it is false prophecy at best.

If any Christian seeks guidance he needs only to open the Bible.

mrveggieman
02-06-2012, 11:51 AM
What misinformation? Some left-wing nutjob barking out his erroneous interpretation of what the Bible means is not misinformation, it is false prophecy at best.

So again how can we be sure that Christanity is the right way. How can we be 100% that Zeus is not our God?

duane1969
02-06-2012, 11:55 AM
So again how can we be sure that Christanity is the right way. How can we be 100% that Zeus is not our God?

I don't see how that is relevant to the original question.

habsheaven
02-06-2012, 12:06 PM

Do you ever wonder what this eternal life will be like to experience?

mrveggieman
02-06-2012, 12:28 PM
I don't see how that is relevant to the original question.

When I used the term God I was not just referring to the christian version of God. Why does everyone assume when one makes a reference to God the are referring to a christian god. Who gave christians an exclusive contract with God?

duane1969
02-06-2012, 12:32 PM
God is the Christian deity. A god is a general term. No one gave Christians and exclusive right to a name, it is just how you use it.

tsjct
02-06-2012, 02:32 PM
they call it a BELIEF!! I believe and for those of you that do not that is your deal. Its what is in my heart and I DO NOT NEED Physical proof to believe. The way the world is going i am just glad i am a believer.

habsheaven
02-06-2012, 02:41 PM
they call it a BELIEF!! I believe and for those of you that do not that is your deal. Its what is in my heart and I DO NOT NEED Physical proof to believe. The way the world is going i am just glad i am a believer.

That's all well and good, but what does it have to do with the OP's question?

tsjct
02-06-2012, 03:20 PM
That's all well and good, but what does it have to do with the OP's question?

Eternal life In heaven for those who follow and believe and the eternal pits of Hell who do not follow and believe. I am hoping and praying i get in the gates of eternal life as promised for following rather than not believing and going to hell.

Star_Cards
02-06-2012, 03:25 PM

I'd assume misinformation means all of the different ideas so many people within one specific have. for me it comes more from people within any given religion rather than someone outside of the religion speaking about it.

mrveggieman
02-06-2012, 04:03 PM
I'd assume misinformation means all of the different ideas so many people within one specific have. for me it comes more from people within any given religion rather than someone outside of the religion speaking about it.

Agree also who's to say who has the correct intrepertation of the bible. As we know the puropse of our judicial system is to intrepert the law. However if a higher court can always review and override a lower courts decision if neccessary. Not saying that the lower court is wrong but the higher court has a different opinion and a different set of eyes. Why can't the bible be reviewed in such a matter?

duane1969
02-06-2012, 05:14 PM
Agree also who's to say who has the correct intrepertation of the bible. As we know the puropse of our judicial system is to intrepert the law. However if a higher court can always review and override a lower courts decision if neccessary. Not saying that the lower court is wrong but the higher court has a different opinion and a different set of eyes. Why can't the bible be reviewed in such a matter?

That is the reason we have freedom of choice. Nobody in America forces anyone else to adhere to their religion or their interpretation of a religion. Christianity has everything from Baptists to Pentecostals to Catholics, each with it's own spin on the Bible.

But none of this is relevant to the original question.

mrveggieman
02-06-2012, 05:21 PM
That is the reason we have freedom of choice. Nobody in America forces anyone else to adhere to their religion or their interpretation of a religion. Christianity has everything from Baptists to Pentecostals to Catholics, each with it's own spin on the Bible.

But none of this is relevant to the original question.

The original question is what are God's responsibilities. I guess that we can never come to an agreement on what they are if none of us can actually agree on what God is.

duane1969
02-06-2012, 05:27 PM
The original question is what are God's responsibilities. I guess that we can never come to an agreement on what they are if none of us can actually agree on what God is.

Perhaps the problem is you are trying to apply the term "God" to the deity of all religions.

A particular religion's god is responsible for fulfilling his/her promises to his/her followers. That depends on the religion.

If you are trying to idnetify which god is the one true god then I wish you luck...and doubt you will find the answer on SCF.

OnePimpTiger
02-06-2012, 09:21 PM
The question in general shows a lack of understanding of the "god/God" concept as a whole. Many people are quick to apply human concepts to God...why would God have to abide by human rules/beliefs/ethics/etc? At a basic level, God has no responsibilities to humans. What if we're just a big experiment? When scientists are observing an animal species, do the scientists have responsibilities to those animals?

The only responsibility God has is what he has promised to do. Humans can assign Him all the responsibilities they want, but all they're doing is applying their own unfounded expectations to a being they have no right to do so.

shrewsbury
02-07-2012, 11:59 AM
They all tell man what he is required to do for God and what the punishment is for disobeying God's laws.

No that would be a human interpretation of what is going on.

Think about it, why would God need to set rules or have punishments? God created all, knows all that WILL happen, and all that has ever happened, God doesn't need you to do anything for God, but like a good parent, God is hoping you will have the best available to you, and will point out how to get it. but like a teenager, most of us already think we know it all and will not listen.

God's responsibilities? God has none, we just wish God did.

theonedru
02-07-2012, 03:55 PM
The question in general shows a lack of understanding of the "god/God" concept as a whole. Many people are quick to apply human concepts to God...why would God have to abide by human rules/beliefs/ethics/etc? At a basic level, God has no responsibilities to humans. What if we're just a big experiment? When scientists are observing an animal species, do the scientists have responsibilities to those animals?

The only responsibility God has is what he has promised to do. Humans can assign Him all the responsibilities they want, but all they're doing is applying their own unfounded expectations to a being they have no right to do so.

Well said

Star_Cards
02-07-2012, 04:49 PM

I took the question as an opinion poll from what each person thinks from their religious background and knowledge. If god has a responsibility to do what he has promised, what are those promises. It's not about people applying their own unfounded expectations upon god. I guess for me, any religion has many different interpretations so it's interesting to see what other people think god brings to the table.

OnePimpTiger
02-07-2012, 10:56 PM
I took the question as an opinion poll from what each person thinks from their religious background and knowledge. If god has a responsibility to do what he has promised, what are those promises. It's not about people applying their own unfounded expectations upon god. I guess for me, any religion has many different interpretations so it's interesting to see what other people think god brings to the table.

I understood the question differently I guess...along the lines of what are the government's responsibilities to its citizens.

Star_Cards
02-08-2012, 09:50 AM
I understood the question differently I guess...along the lines of what are the government's responsibilities to its citizens.

I can see that side of it as well. I do agree that it's difficult to apply our worldly rules to that of someone how is, in theory, from a place where those things really wouldn't apply.