PDA

View Full Version : Court strikes down Georgia's assisted suicide law

mrveggieman
02-06-2012, 09:15 AM
http://www.ajc.com/news/atlanta/court-strikes-down-georgias-1334712.html

Star_Cards
02-06-2012, 09:36 AM
good. I never thought this should be something that a person didn't have the right to choose to do. I get the legalities and such of it, but if the person legally gives someone else consent to euthanize them then so be it. Having a controlled way seems way more humane then potentially causing someone to take extreme measures to commit suicide if they are terminal and can't find a physician to administer.

I guess this brings up a lot of other questions like regulations of who can offer these services or who should be able to use the services.

mrveggieman
02-06-2012, 10:15 AM
It's all based on religious doctrine. The religion of the majority here in the united states prohibits suicide so their laws are written accordingly. If you are termially ill they want you to tough it out until you die. SMH.

duane1969
02-06-2012, 10:21 AM
The issue I have is this...

Assisted suicide should be just that, assisted. If you want help then fine, I provide you with the means and you do it. The line stops when you need me to do it for you.

I also fear that this opens the door for families to decide to "euthanize" family members who are in a coma or in a vegatative state.

mrveggieman
02-06-2012, 10:25 AM
The issue I have is this...

Assisted suicide should be just that, assisted. If you want help then fine, I provide you with the means and you do it. The line stops when you need me to do it for you.

I also fear that this opens the door for families to decide to "euthanize" family members who are in a coma or in a vegatative state.

So let me ask you this. God forbid if you were ever in a vegatative state with no chance of recovery would you want to remain in such a state indefitenly or would you like to be put out of your misery?

duane1969
02-06-2012, 10:27 AM
So let me ask you this. God forbid if you were ever in a vegatative state with no chance of recovery would you want to remain in such a state indefitenly or would you like to be put out of your misery?

I would not want someone else making that decision for me.

mrveggieman
02-06-2012, 10:30 AM
I would not want someone else making that decision for me.

So I would assume that you already had that discussion with your family and I respect whatever you and your family decide what works the best for you. However what about someone who has never made that discussion and their spouse is their next of kin. Or what about the parent of a young child. Should the be forced to watch their loved one suffer with no chance of a real life?

AUTaxMan
02-06-2012, 10:30 AM

This is why we have living wills.

duane1969
02-06-2012, 10:35 AM
So I would assume that you already had that discussion with your family and I respect whatever you and your family decide what works the best for you. However what about someone who has never made that discussion and their spouse is their next of kin. Or what about the parent of a young child. Should the be forced to watch their loved one suffer with no chance of a real life?

The suffering of the living/healthy should not be eased by the death of a family member.

And yes, my wife and i have discussed it.

habsheaven
02-06-2012, 10:57 AM
I am not sure where this thread is going but I think clarification is needed on a couple fronts.

The law being struck down has little affect on assisted-suicide. The law deals with advertising your willingness to help in an assisted-suicide. As for assisted-suicide itself; killing people who have no ability to express their wish to die is not assisted-suicide, it is a mercy killing. An assisted-suicide occurs when an arguably competent individual decides to take their own life. In doing so, they ask for help from someone with the knowledge, expertice, or compassion to help them go through with it.

duane1969
02-06-2012, 11:01 AM
I am not sure where this thread is going but I think clarification is needed on a couple fronts.

The law being struck down has little affect on assisted-suicide. The law deals with advertising your willingness to help in an assisted-suicide. As for assisted-suicide itself; killing people who have no ability to express their wish to die is not assisted-suicide, it is a mercy killing. An assisted-suicide occurs when an arguably competent individual decides to take their own life. In doing so, they ask for help from someone with the knowledge, expertice, or compassion to help them go through with it.

You are correct. GA didn't outlaw assisted suicide, just offering the "service". Kind of a backdoor way to achieve their goal.