PDA

View Full Version : Judge to decide if animals get the same slavery protection as people

pwaldo
02-06-2012, 09:34 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/slavery-protections-animals-judge-decide-234713082.html

A federal judge for the first time in U.S. history heard arguments Monday in a case that could determine whether animals enjoy the same constitutional protection against slavery as human beings.

U.S. District Judge Jeffrey Miller called the hearing in San Diego after Sea World asked the court to dismiss a lawsuit filed by People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals that names five orcas as plaintiffs in the case.

PETA claims the captured killer whales are treated like slaves for being forced to live in tanks and perform daily at its parks in San Diego and Orlando, Fla.

"This case is on the next frontier of civil rights," said PETA's attorney Jeffrey Kerr, representing the five orcas.

Kerr acknowledged PETA faces an uphill battle but he said he was hopeful after Monday's hearing.

"This is an historic day," Kerr said. "For the first time in our nation's history, a federal court heard arguments as to whether living, breathing, feeling beings have rights and can be enslaved simply because they happen to not have been born human. By any definition these orcas have been enslaved here."

The issue is not about whether the animals have been subjected to abuse, the defense said. If the court were to grant orcas constitutional rights, Shaw warned the ruling would have profound implications that could impact everything from the way the U.S. government uses dogs to sniff out bombs and drugs to how zoos and aquariums operate.

PETA said a ruling in its favor would only help to protect the orcas in the entertainment industry and other cases involving animals would have to be decided on their own merits.

Kerr said Sea World employees are in violation of the 13th amendment because their conduct is enslaving an intelligent, highly social species that suffers from its confinements in ways similar to what humans would experience.

Brushing animals off as property is the same argument that was used against African-Americans and women before their constitutional rights were protected, PETA says.

AUTaxMan
02-07-2012, 08:54 AM
The nuts at PETA is going to be sorely disappointed.

duane1969
02-07-2012, 09:36 AM
Um, the 13th Amendment does not protect animals. The fact that PETA is trying to pervert the Constitution to fit their own need and hoping that logical thinking people will accept their twisted interpretation is proof enough of the type of nutjobs that they are.

I have visited the PETA website and think that some of the things they are doing are good, but ignorant stuff like this makes it impossible to support them.

mrveggieman
02-07-2012, 09:39 AM
I actually like PETA and support most but not all of the things that they do. I doubt that they will win this case and even if they do it will be tied up in court for years but it will be interesting to follow.

habsheaven
02-07-2012, 09:50 AM
This is definitely "out there" in terms of reasonability but it does bring some focus to the degrees of "wrong" when it comes to how humans treat animals. As wonderful as it is to see some of these magnificent creatures up close and personal it is hard to argue that there is nothing wrong with caging them for their entire lives.

Star_Cards
02-07-2012, 10:01 AM
This makes no sense other than a PETA PR lawsuit. So say they rule in favor of having to pay animals. Then what? Do animals need to be paid in cash? If so where does the cash go? The animal owner? Is he still not enslaving the animal? An animal can't really access a bank account or spend earned money.

Does Sea World not technically pay the whales in food, healthcare, and lodging?

duane1969
02-07-2012, 10:36 AM
I actually like PETA and support most but not all of the things that they do. I doubt that they will win this case and even if they do it will be tied up in court for years but it will be interesting to follow.

You are right, this will result in years and years of court battles and will waste countless taxpayer dollars. Our court systems are not there to argue if the Constitution protects whales in Sea World.

tsjct
02-07-2012, 11:05 AM
PETA-- People EATING tasty animals

AUTaxMan
02-07-2012, 11:07 AM
If you are going to support an animal welfare organization, get behind a legitimate cause like the SPCA, not a bunch of political operatives like PETA.

pghin08
02-07-2012, 12:17 PM
If you are going to support an animal welfare organization, get behind a legitimate cause like the SPCA, not a bunch of political operatives like PETA.

Truth. This could be a landmark case though! My dog is always complaining that she doesn't get a chance to vote! Maybe PETA will help her! :rolleyes:

duane1969
02-07-2012, 12:23 PM
Yeah my daughter has a bunch of hamsters that would both like to be free and like to exercise their right to keep and bear tiny little guns...LOL