PDA

View Full Version : What makes one holy book, religion better than the other

mrveggieman
02-07-2012, 11:37 AM
I know this is a rehash of other discussions but I keep hearing this over and over and no one can or will give me a straight answer. Her in P&R we love to discuss religion which we are all cool with. However when the topic of the bible comes up and someone asks them what makes christanity and the bible superior to other religions someone always says cause the bible says so. All religions claims that they are the one and only true religion and that their book is the only true word of God so saying that the bible says so is just like using a word to define the same word. You believe what you like and I respect each of you for having your own set of beliefs but if you want to convience a neutral person that you and only you are correct you need to do a better job at it. Also please do not take this as a thread to bash christians but as long as I have been on this forum let alone been living I have yet to have anyone give me a straight answer on this. Any takers?

duane1969
02-07-2012, 11:43 AM
One's belief in one book makes it "better" than the other. A Muslim will argue that the Torah is better than the Bible. A Christian will argue that the Bible is better than the Tanakh. A Jewish person will argue that the Tanakh is better than the Bagvadhgita.

See the pattern? It is personal choice. There is no one true religion. There is no one true religious book.

habsheaven
02-07-2012, 11:48 AM
In REALITY, the validity of each of them is equal. Based on FAITH, your holy book is better (true) than the others.

mrveggieman
02-07-2012, 11:51 AM
One's belief in one book makes it "better" than the other. A Muslim will argue that the Torah is better than the Bible. A Christian will argue that the Bible is better than the Tanakh. A Jewish person will argue that the Tanakh is better than the Bagvadhgita.

See the pattern? It is personal choice. There is no one true religion. There is no one true religious book.

You almost got it except that muslims prefer the koran and jews prefer the torah.

pghin08
02-07-2012, 11:53 AM
I usually go by Amazon reviews.

habsheaven
02-07-2012, 11:56 AM
You almost got it except that muslims prefer the koran and jews prefer the torah.

Yes, but to Duane's point. Muslims still may prefer the Torah to the Bible.:winking0071:

mrveggieman
02-07-2012, 11:57 AM
I usually go by Amazon reviews.

Post of the day!! :smokin:

duane1969
02-07-2012, 12:12 PM

Yeah I was trying to eat lunch, deal with a student who can't develop a basic 5 paragraph paper and respond to this thread all at the same time. Cut me some slack LOL

mrveggieman
02-07-2012, 12:15 PM
Yeah I was trying to eat lunch, deal with a student who can't develop a basic 5 paragraph paper and respond to this thread all at the same time. Cut me some slack LOL

You're forgiven. :winking0071:

duane1969
02-07-2012, 12:32 PM
Seriously! How many times do you have to mis-spell success as succsess before you start spelling it correctly? :frusty:

mrveggieman
02-07-2012, 12:34 PM
Seriously! How many times do you have to mis-spell success as succsess before you start spelling it correctly? :frusty:

Be careful with that Duane. You may be talking about the future republican nominee for 2052. :winking0071:

AUTaxMan
02-07-2012, 12:40 PM
We give you straight answers based on our beliefs. You just don't want to accept them. That is your right, but no answer we give will satisfy you, so there is no need to keep rehashing the same issue over and over again.

mrveggieman
02-07-2012, 12:44 PM
We give you straight answers based on our beliefs. You just don't want to accept them. That is your right, but no answer we give will satisfy you, so there is no need to keep rehashing the same issue over and over again.

I respect you for your beliefs believe me when I say that but if when some of ya'll make the outrageous claims that ya'll do is it too much for us to ask for something concrete proving that what you and your book says is superior to what the next man and his book says?

duane1969
02-07-2012, 12:46 PM
Be careful with that Duane. You may be talking about the future republican nominee for 2052. :winking0071:

Not from what I have seen so far. He was caught with drugs, thinks prostitution is no big deal and doesn't repect authority. He has liberal written all over him...

habsheaven
02-07-2012, 12:49 PM
Not from what I have seen so far. He was caught with drugs, thinks prostitution is no big deal and doesn't repect authority. He has liberal written all over him...

Sounds like a Liberetarian to me.

duane1969
02-07-2012, 12:50 PM
Sounds like a Liberetarian to me.

Touche

PackersFan1208
02-07-2012, 12:52 PM

Hey there, i have been lurking around P&R for a while now and it seems Duane is the top contributor in every thread i find. The answer he gave there is perfect, every religion believes they are the "true" or "best" religion and therefore their book is "better" and the only way to truly decide which is better would be to join a religion and you'll know which is better......But see the problem with that?:winking0071:

habsheaven
02-07-2012, 12:58 PM
Hey there, i have been lurking around P&R for a while now and it seems Duane is the top contributor in every thread i find. The answer he gave there is perfect, every religion believes they are the "true" or "best" religion and therefore their book is "better" and the only way to truly decide which is better would be to join a religion and you'll know which is better......But see the problem with that?:winking0071:

Or not join a religion and see that they are all the same. :scared0012:

PackersFan1208
02-07-2012, 01:00 PM
Or not join a religion and see that they are all the same. :scared0012:

Thanks the "god(s)" (being safe with my religious overview) :pray:
someone got it lol

mrveggieman
02-07-2012, 01:01 PM

OMG Duane. You just found GWB's long lost son.

duane1969
02-07-2012, 01:06 PM
omg duane. You just found gwb's long lost son.

lol

duane1969
02-07-2012, 01:07 PM

I know. It is sad how much time I waste here, huh?

I agree, there is no knowing. That is why I am agnostic.

PackersFan1208
02-07-2012, 01:16 PM
I know. It is sad how much time I waste here, huh?

I agree, there is no knowing. That is why I am agnostic.

Not at all, your posts are the ones i take more notice of due to the amount of sense you make. Your a great succsess around here it seems!

Star_Cards
02-07-2012, 01:35 PM
Typically I see that the "better" religion is the one that has been handed down by prior generations. It's really that simple. Sure people convert throughout life, but I'd assume the majority of people stay in the same religion that was taught to them by their family.