PDA

View Full Version : CNN suspends Roland Martin over ‘offensive’ Super Bowl tweets

pwaldo
02-08-2012, 03:48 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/cutline/cnn-suspends-roland-martin-over-offensive-super-bowl-195422269.html

Political commentator Roland Martin has been suspended indefinitely by CNN over a series of tweets he published during the Super Bowl.

"Roland Martin's tweets were regrettable and offensive," CNN said in a statement. "Language that demeans is inconsistent with the values and culture of our organization, and is not tolerated. We have been giving careful consideration to this matter, and Roland will not be appearing on our air for the time being."

Those comments, published on his personal Twitter feed, concerned a two Super Bowl ads, including an H&M spot showcasing a new David Beckham underwear line.

Several gay and lesbian rights groups were outraged. GLAAD said CNN ought to fire Martin: "Advocates of gay bashing have no place at CNN."

"What Martin tweeted—advocating beatings for men who'd enjoyed the David Beckham underwear ad shown during the Super Bowl plus the same for a New England Patriot clad in a pink suit—was the equivalent of cheerleading for violence against gays," Washington Post columnist Erik Wemple, the first to report Martin's suspension, wrote Wednesday.

No word on how long he will remain off CNN's airwaves.

habsheaven
02-08-2012, 03:58 PM
I like Roland Martin and agree with most of his political commentary (obviously), but a short suspension seems appropriate. Gotta watch what you say and how you say it in today's world. Now when are they going to can that idiot Dana Loesch?

pghin08
02-08-2012, 04:01 PM
Ouch. Social media strikes again. If you're on TV, you should probably stay off Twitter for personal use.

AUTaxMan
02-08-2012, 09:26 PM
They should have suspended him long ago for generally being an idiot.

DaClyde
02-08-2012, 09:28 PM
Hey, how he can go back to hosting Laugh In! Oh, wait...

mrveggieman
02-09-2012, 08:24 AM
Once again if you are in the public eye be very mindful of what you post on twitter, facebook, myspace, etc.

Star_Cards
02-09-2012, 09:46 AM
definitely needs to watch was he says given the public manner of his employment. However, I wouldn't really call his posts overly gay bashing. Definitely not all that smart for him to even bring up, but the posts are rather innocent in my opinion.