PDA

View Full Version : Rick Santorum: Rape victims should keep the "gift" baby if they get pregnant

pwaldo
02-08-2012, 06:21 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2091170/Rick-Santorum-Rape-victims-gift-baby-pregnant.html

Rick Santorum has been condemned after claiming that rape victims who become pregnant should 'make the best of a bad situation'.

The Republican presidential candidate said that women in such a position should not get an abortion but instead welcome their 'horrible gift from God'.

He added that even if his own daughter became pregnant after being raped he would still urge her to have the child.

Santorum is ultra conservative and a devout Catholic who has in the past spoken of how he wants to ban abortion with a constitutional amendment.

In a sign of the potential backlash, he has already come under fire from pro-choice commentators who said that he was only 'adding to the trauma' of what a rape victim goes through.

In an interview on CNN with Piers Morgan, Santorum said: 'Well, you can make the argument that if she doesn't have this baby, if she kills her child, that that, too, could ruin her life.

'And this is not an easy choice, I understand that. As horrible as the way that that son or daughter and son was created, it still is her child. And whether she has that child or she doesn't, it will always be her child, and she will always know that.

sportscardrage
02-08-2012, 06:39 PM
Maybe politicians need to realize that despite what they apparently think they have no idea what everyone goes throughout their life. And they don't have the correct answer for every circumstance.

habsheaven
02-08-2012, 07:07 PM
This is such a simple stance, I do not see why so many people have a problem with it. If you believe LIFE starts at conception, which he does, you cannot negate the value of that life because of how it was conceived. I expect every PRO-LIFE individual to share his views. If you do not, than you are lying to yourself about when in fact you really think LIFE begins.

PackersFan1208
02-08-2012, 07:22 PM
I believe its up to the victim completely...no one should be forced to carry a rape baby because someone else says so.Absolute rubbish

gladdyontherise
02-08-2012, 07:28 PM
That's wonderful that Santorum thinks other women should have and raise a baby they get from being raped, I however completely disagree with him and think he's a complete liar to say he'd urge his wife to have and raise a baby is she were to be raped.

shrewsbury
02-08-2012, 08:53 PM
what is good for someone personally may not be good for anyone else.

i could not imagine being raped, living with it, then being pregnant as a result of it, and then having that decision to make.

i could not even come close to saying what i would do, what i would encourage someone to do, or what someone should do.

your decision does not make something right or wrong, it is just your choice. once you begin to label your choices correct and others wrong, well perhaps you are showing how little you know about anything.

PackersFan1208
02-08-2012, 09:35 PM
Think of the family, the woman and her entire family will never forget of what happened and the child will find out some day and how much pain and suffering will come from it ..... some suit wearing office dweller should not have the power to choose something like this....im outraged

AUTaxMan
02-08-2012, 10:23 PM
This is such a simple stance, I do not see why so many people have a problem with it. If you believe LIFE starts at conception, which he does, you cannot negate the value of that life because of how it was conceived. I expect every PRO-LIFE individual to share his views. If you do not, than you are lying to yourself about when in fact you really think LIFE begins.

Totally agree. Even if the child is the product of rape, it is still a person. If you are pro-life, there can be no exceptions to the rule if you truly believe what you purport to believe.

shrewsbury
02-08-2012, 11:03 PM
so a pro-lifer is someone who does not have their own ideas and opinions on what pro-life means?

habsheaven
02-08-2012, 11:13 PM
so a pro-lifer is someone who does not have their own ideas and opinions on what pro-life means?

No. You can be pro-life and believe LIFE begins at some other stage of pregnancy but, if you believe LIFE begins at conception, WHICH HE DOES. Then aborting that fetus is KILLING a LIFE. There is no way around that. You cannot justify killing to save someone from experiencing more mental anguish.

OnePimpTiger
02-08-2012, 11:14 PM

Agree 110%

what is good for someone personally may not be good for anyone else.

i could not imagine being raped, living with it, then being pregnant as a result of it, and then having that decision to make.

i could not even come close to saying what i would do, what i would encourage someone to do, or what someone should do.

your decision does not make something right or wrong, it is just your choice. once you begin to label your choices correct and others wrong, well perhaps you are showing how little you know about anything.

Really? Do you believe the choice to do drugs is wrong? Is the choice to drink and drive wrong? Is the choice to murder someone wrong? Is the choice to rape someone wrong? Is your choice not to do those things correct?

Think of the family, the woman and her entire family will never forget of what happened and the child will find out some day and how much pain and suffering will come from it ..... some suit wearing office dweller should not have the power to choose something like this....im outraged

The woman and the family will never forget what happened whether the child is aborted or kept. There are many women who have post-traumatic stress from having an abortion, so aborting the child may even make it worse. Think of a person who has a good life and finds out they were almost aborted, how much joy will come from knowing they weren't. I would wager more people would be relieved they were not aborted than wish they had been.

MattDMC
02-09-2012, 03:55 AM
WOW really Rick Santorum?

If I were a women who was raped it would be a cold day in you know where that I would raise the rapists child.

habsheaven
02-09-2012, 09:01 AM
WOW really Rick Santorum?

If I were a women who was raped it would be a cold day in you know where that I would raise the rapists child.

Where are you guys reading that he has said "raise" or "keep" the child? All I can find him saying is "have" the child.

mrveggieman
02-09-2012, 09:29 AM
Rick Santorum is a complete idiot not worthy of being elected dog catcher let alone president. That is why the neo-cons love him.

pghin08
02-09-2012, 09:44 AM
Nobody on the Republican side scares me more than Rick Santorum. I had to live with him as my Senator, I couldn't bear the thought of living with him as my President. I would literally vote for anybody over Santorum. And I'm not one to say those types of things.

habsheaven
02-09-2012, 09:46 AM
Nobody on the Republican side scares me more than Rick Santorum. I had to live with him as my Senator, I couldn't bear the thought of living with him as my President. I would literally vote for anybody over Santorum. And I'm not one to say those types of things.

That's fine but what about his position on this topic is flawed?

Star_Cards
02-09-2012, 10:25 AM

I agree with this. If you are truely pro-life, the way of conception shouldn't matter when determining if abortion is right or wrong.

pghin08
02-09-2012, 10:33 AM
That's fine but what about his position on this topic is flawed?

Technically nothing. I fundamentally disagree with him, but it's hard to say ANYBODY'S beliefs are flawed. He believes what he believes.

angel0430
02-09-2012, 10:39 AM
Politicians need to realize that they can't express everything they think. I respect him for standing his ground on his believes, but he needs to understand also that the governement can't control a personal decision. That is a relly hard situation and it is going to have a diff response from person to person

shrewsbury
02-09-2012, 10:42 AM
Really? Do you believe the choice to do drugs is wrong? Is the choice to drink and drive wrong? Is the choice to murder someone wrong? Is the choice to rape someone wrong? Is your choice not to do those things correct?

the discussion was about abortion and pro life.

AUTaxMan
02-09-2012, 01:08 PM

I know you have some anecdotal story about why you don't like him, but that aside, what about his policies scares you?

pghin08
02-09-2012, 02:00 PM
I know you have some anecdotal story about why you don't like him, but that aside, what about his policies scares you?

Constitutional amendment banning abortions is up there. His tax plan makes me nervous too, there are SO many cuts, but he seems to just believe "oh, if I cut taxes, that's all I have to do to spur the job market!" He's one of those Republicans that says he wants to cut spending everywhere BUT defense, which I just don't like. Not sure why we need such large bases in Germany and Japan still. He also wants to just green light the Keystone Pipeline, forget about any analysis of environmental impact. He was a big-time supporter of Bush's War on Terror (though a lot were at the time). Santorum had the gall to say that John McCain didn't know what he was talking about when it came to "enhanced interrogation" even though McCain was a freaking POW. I could go on and on but for the sake of time, I'll end here.

BGT Masters
02-09-2012, 02:53 PM

According to some people on this site, yes.

MattDMC
02-09-2012, 03:28 PM
Where are you guys reading that he has said "raise" or "keep" the child? All I can find him saying is "have" the child.

Ok true he did not say raise he did say have so let me rephrase my statement, There is no way in your know where that I would carry for 9 months and have a rapists baby. That entire 9 months every waking moment you'd be thinking about what happened and whos baby you would be having the mental toll it would take on you would drive you mad.

habsheaven
02-09-2012, 04:58 PM
Ok true he did not say raise he did say have so let me rephrase my statement, There is no way in your know where that I would carry for 9 months and have a rapists baby. That entire 9 months every waking moment you'd be thinking about what happened and whos baby you would be having the mental toll it would take on you would drive you mad.

Obviously then, you do not think LIFE begins at conception, or if you do, you do not VALUE that life above the mental toll placed on the mother.

All Santorum is saying is that the VALUE of any LIFE is greater than the ANGUISH of the woman victimized. And remember, the baby is the victim's too, not just the rapist's.

MattDMC
02-09-2012, 06:03 PM
Obviously then, you do not think LIFE begins at conception, or if you do, you do not VALUE that life above the mental toll placed on the mother.

All Santorum is saying is that the VALUE of any LIFE is greater than the ANGUISH of the woman victimized. And remember, the baby is the victim's too, not just the rapist's.

Correct I don't.

OnePimpTiger
02-09-2012, 08:50 PM
the discussion was about abortion and pro life.

So when you said:

you actually meant "When I agree with it, this is the case...but if I don't, then it's not."

duane1969
02-09-2012, 09:39 PM

You know, generally I agree with you, however...

I don't see how having an abortion makes the memory of the experience go away. A raped woman will not forget the experience or have the experience be less traumatic by having an abortion. Depending on how she deals with the knowledge that she had an abortion it could actually compound the issue.

I agree, the baby will be a reminder of the experience and generally I agree that not having the baby should ease the pain of the experience, but I am not convinced that having an abortion is the absolute answer either. I think there are cases where having the baby and having a new life result from the experience may actually be theraputic.

With that said, I do not agree that women should be forced to have the baby. Perhaps Santorum would feel differently about that issue if he were raped first and then asked how he feels about it...

mrveggieman
02-10-2012, 09:26 AM
you know, generally i agree with you, however...

I don't see how having an abortion makes the memory of the experience go away. A raped woman will not forget the experience or have the experience be less traumatic by having an abortion. Depending on how she deals with the knowledge that she had an abortion it could actually compound the issue.

I agree, the baby will be a reminder of the experience and generally i agree that not having the baby should ease the pain of the experience, but i am not convinced that having an abortion is the absolute answer either. I think there are cases where having the baby and having a new life result from the experience may actually be theraputic.

With that said, i do not agree that women should be forced to have the baby. Perhaps santorum would feel differently about that issue if he were raped first and then asked how he feels about it...

+1

shrewsbury
02-10-2012, 10:43 AM
onepimptiger, get a job, you're trying to hard at something that is worth no effort.

no, i meant, onepimptiger, this is not for you to analize and change around, put into any context you like, and distort the original thread.

PackersFan1208
02-10-2012, 11:39 AM
Another point i want to try bring up is , the point behind this is hes trying to make rape victims keep their children until there born right? they way i see it is let woman decide if they want to carry the child- there are already SOOOO many babies and children that need to be cared for already why keep making the list longer? PRO-LIFE or PRO-ORPHANAGE LIFE?
if i was a rape baby i would prefer to be aborted while i have no consciousness then end up living my life in an orphanage or foster parents

shrewsbury
02-10-2012, 02:38 PM
if i was a rape baby i would prefer to be aborted while i have no consciousness then end up living my life in an orphanage or foster parents

pretty intense statement, don't totally agree with it, but i can certainly see where you are coming from and don't totally disagree with it.

boba
02-10-2012, 05:13 PM
If your either pro life or choice you should respect his stance. If you believe that a fetus is a life you can't have exceptions to abortion. For instance, if you have someone dependent on you with their life does that give you the right to murder them?

If its a life you shouldn't be able to murder it, no matter how it got there.

boba
02-10-2012, 05:17 PM
Another point i want to try bring up is , the point behind this is hes trying to make rape victims keep their children until there born right? they way i see it is let woman decide if they want to carry the child- there are already SOOOO many babies and children that need to be cared for already why keep making the list longer? PRO-LIFE or PRO-ORPHANAGE LIFE?

So you would rather be stabbed in the head with a needle? I guess thats your choice.

Just because you would choose to be murdered doesn't mean every unborn baby would. And I can guarantee most would choose to live if they could choose haha.

OnePimpTiger
02-10-2012, 11:01 PM
onepimptiger, get a job, you're trying to hard at something that is worth no effort.

no, i meant, onepimptiger, this is not for you to analize and change around, put into any context you like, and distort the original thread.

Notice I only post at night? That's because I'm at my job...I do notice you post all throughout the day though...

If you make a statement, you have to stand by it...you can't only use it when it fits your argument.

shrewsbury
02-11-2012, 01:14 AM
onepimptiger, just yanking your chain!

i should only use a statement when it fits to the argument, otherwise it wouldn't make sense.

things aren't even close to just black and white, up and down or inside or out.

my views and opinions for a rape baby abortion highly differ from my views and opinions on a middle age woman wanting an abortion because it will ruin her career.

that might not be "fair" or "right" but it is how I feel, and "fair" only applies when all other conditions are equal.

and getting pregnant do to consensual sex and getting pregnant from being raped are quite different in my opinion.