PDA

View Full Version : Gun Sales Loophole

duane1969
02-09-2012, 11:04 AM
Saw this article and video and thought it would make for interesting discussion.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/46316454/ns/today-today_rossen_reports/

Being an owner of numerous guns including handguns and tactical rifles, this struck home for me. On one hand I agree that we need to prevent guns from being sold to those who could not normally pass a background check. At the same time, I find it hard to agree with the government saying that we should not limit individual freedoms on some issues like abortion or gay marriage but that the freedom to sell personal property should be limited.

I don't want this to turn into an argument about homosexuality or abortion. That isn't my point. My point is that on one hand the government "fights" to ensure our individual freedoms and right to make our own decisions in life and then on the other hand it limits them.

Star_Cards
02-09-2012, 11:18 AM
saw this report on the today show this morning. they conducted their sales in Arizona where they said it was legal. They never said if it was typically legal in other states or if any had laws against selling guns online and not legally needing a back ground check.

If I remember correctly they also have a loophole at gun shows or did at one time.

seems like a huge loop hole considering the amount of sales that are conducted online.

I personally don't have a need for a firearm, but if I ever do I won't have an issue having a background check to do so.

mrveggieman
02-09-2012, 11:22 AM
Interesting. I totally believe that everyone who is of sound mind should be able to exercise their second amendment right to defend themself. That being said if there should be some type of safeguards in place for buying, selling owning guns similiar to the way you have to get a driver's liscence and registration to leagally own and drive a car.

habsheaven
02-09-2012, 12:08 PM
saw this report on the today show this morning. they conducted their sales in Arizona where they said it was legal. They never said if it was typically legal in other states or if any had laws against selling guns online and not legally needing a back ground check.

If I remember correctly they also have a loophole at gun shows or did at one time.

seems like a huge loop hole considering the amount of sales that are conducted online.

I personally don't have a need for a firearm, but if I ever do I won't have an issue having a background check to do so.

The article in the link says "most states" and references a Washington state online purchase as well.

habsheaven
02-09-2012, 12:11 PM
Saw this article and video and thought it would make for interesting discussion.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/46316454/ns/today-today_rossen_reports/

Being an owner of numerous guns including handguns and tactical rifles, this struck home for me. On one hand I agree that we need to prevent guns from being sold to those who could not normally pass a background check. At the same time, I find it hard to agree with the government saying that we should not limit individual freedoms on some issues like abortion or gay marriage but that the freedom to sell personal property should be limited.

I don't want this to turn into an argument about homosexuality or abortion. That isn't my point. My point is that on one hand the government "fights" to ensure our individual freedoms and right to make our own decisions in life and then on the other hand it limits them.

It comes down to being an issue about public safety, much like the regulation of vehicles.

duane1969
02-09-2012, 01:18 PM
It comes down to being an issue about public safety, much like the regulation of vehicles.

I agree with you. I also thought of that comparison and realized that there are no laws that prevent a person who has been convicted of a DUI and lost their license from buying a car. Isn't that a bit similar?

If a person is deemed "unworthy" of owning a gun because of legal issues (felony conviction) then wouldn't it make sense to block someone who has a felony DUI conviction from owning a car?

I don't mean to go off track here but it seems to me that the legal system makes some issues a priority while allowing other similar issues to slide by.

For the record, ANY felony conviction makes gun ownership illegal. A conviction for possesion of prescription pills or burglary, which are non-violent felonies, results in a ban from gun ownership. Yet a person can get drunk, hit and kill someone and still go buy a car.

mrveggieman
02-09-2012, 01:21 PM
I agree with you. I also thought of that comparison and realized that there are no laws that prevent a person who has been convicted of a DUI and lost their license from buying a car. Isn't that a bit similar?

If a person is deemed "unworthy" of owning a gun because of legal issues (felony conviction) then wouldn't it make sense to block someone who has a felony DUI conviction from owning a car?

I don't mean to go off track here but it seems to me that the legal system makes some issues a priority while allowing other similar issues to slide by.

For the record, ANY felony conviction makes gun ownership illegal. A conviction for possesion of prescription pills or burglary, which are non-violent felonies, results in a ban from gun ownership. Yet a person can get drunk, hit and kill someone and still go buy a car.

I totally agree with you duane. There needs to be more consistency in our laws. However that's too much like right.

habsheaven
02-09-2012, 01:25 PM
I totally agree with you duane. There needs to be more consistency in our laws. However that's too much like right.

I agree also.