PDA

View Full Version : Floyd Mayweather makes racially insensitive remarks about Jeremy Lin

mrveggieman
02-14-2012, 08:03 AM
I am a blackman but I found Mayweather's remarks insulting, offensive and distasteful.

http://jeffincredible85.hubpages.com/hub/Floyd-Mayweather-Accused-Jeremy-Lin-of-Steroid-Use

Star_Cards
02-14-2012, 08:20 AM
the story has been deleted, but I heard what he tweeted on the radio. He's ridiculously incorrect about the only reason Lin is getting pub is because he's asian american. The dude has scored the most points of anyone in the NBA since the merger. There are some great players on that list. MJ, Shaq, Iverson. I don't care what the skin color, this guy's story is worth the pub right now. It's not like he was a stud #1 draft pick or something.

mrveggieman
02-14-2012, 08:23 AM
Here's another article about the controversy:

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/daily-take/201202/floyd-mayweather-plays-race-card-jeremy-lin

Star_Cards
02-14-2012, 08:38 AM
mayweather has never really been known for being that smart. I believe that if Lin were black and doing what he's doing and coming out of nowhere, he'd still get the pub. It's not like the sports media doesn't talk about black athletes. Sure Lin is getting a ton of exposure but I'd bet that if mayweather watched an hour of espn NBA coverage there would be plenty of talk about what african american players are doing. It's pretty ironic that mayweather said these things when I actually think that one aspect of life that has the least amount of racism or racial division is sports.

duane1969
02-14-2012, 08:59 AM
Mayweather's comments show his lack of historical knowledge. Black players don't get the same recognition because they do it every night. 50 years ago it was the black players getting the attention because they were doing something that had previously only been done by white players every night. Just like Earl Lloyd, Sweetwater Clifton and Chuck Cooper were breaking down barriers and making headlines back then, Lin is doing it now. Mayweather needs to shut up and box and leave the public commentary to someone who has some intellect on the subject.

mrveggieman
02-14-2012, 09:18 AM
I'm starting to think that Mayweather is making these remarks to goad Paccico to agree to a fight with him on his terms.

angel0430
02-14-2012, 10:10 AM
Mayweather is a joke. I hope he gets destroyed on his next fight against Cotto. Someone needs to put a stop to this guy. He thinks that he deserves everything.

AUTaxMan
02-14-2012, 10:14 AM
who cares. we need to be less racially sensitive. i doubt lin cares.

angel0430
02-14-2012, 10:16 AM

I care because it is wrong. And apparently you do also since you took the time to read and comment on it.

mrveggieman
02-14-2012, 10:20 AM

I don't agree that we should be less racially sensitive but Im sure that Lin has heard worse. Not saying that it is ok but he has to have thick skin to play in the big apple because as soon as he goes on a slump they will turn on him in a New York minute.

ensbergcollector
02-14-2012, 10:35 AM
i doubt lin cares but that doesn't make mayweather's words acceptable. whoever the yahoo blogger that wrote about this was actually spot on for once. They said something along the lines of "kinda like when the world gives a ton of attention because a black man is dominating golf or two black sisters are dominating tennis?"

between this and the jason whitlock tweet, i am very upset at what is allowed to be spoken by some, while the same things would never be allowable by others.

Star_Cards
02-14-2012, 11:08 AM
I'm not going to say that this is even close the worst thing I've heard someone say. I find the fact that the statement is just plan incorrect to be the most offensive thing. lol

AUTaxMan
02-14-2012, 11:31 AM
I care because it is wrong. And apparently you do also since you took the time to read and comment on it.

My point is why do we care if Mayweather is a racist/idiot? Are we going to pay less attention to him now because of his remarks? Are we going to take a firm stand against racist athletes and racial double standards? Are we going to run Mayweather out of boxing? Should he be reprimanded for his remarks in some meaningful way? What is the point of all the outrage? What does it accomplish?

mrveggieman
02-14-2012, 11:36 AM
My point is why do we care if Mayweather is a racist/idiot? Are we going to pay less attention to him now because of his remarks? Are we going to take a firm stand against racist athletes and racial double standards? Are we going to run Mayweather out of boxing? Should he be reprimanded for his remarks in some meaningful way? What is the point of all the outrage? What does it accomplish?

Mayweather is going to be viewed as the John Rocker of boxing. An athlete that you pay to to see in hopes that he fails.

angel0430
02-14-2012, 12:51 PM
Mayweather is going to be viewed as the John Rocker of boxing. An athlete that you pay to to see in hopes that he fails.

True.

AUTaxMan
02-14-2012, 12:52 PM

No he's not.

mrveggieman
02-14-2012, 02:13 PM
No he's not.

If he keeps putting his foot in his mouth he is. Boxers are starting to become like wrestlers. They say a bunch of dumb things to get the crowd against them and provide free press for their next ppv.

Star_Cards
02-14-2012, 03:14 PM
I'd classify mayweather way less extreme and barely similar to john rocker.

tutall
02-14-2012, 07:10 PM

Or an athlete who is one of the best in the world at what he does.... I dont care what the guy says.... I would still call my cable provider when there is a fight and have some guys come over and drink beer.... If people actually cared what athletes did or said we would hate Tiger, Kobe, Ray Lewis, and Michael Jordan.... Since they are great at what they do we are fine with them

tsjct
02-15-2012, 08:31 AM
He is an idiot plain and simple. Just hope he gets KO'd by Cotto. Another reason he does this is to get in the spotlight because boxing has taken a backseat to UFC.

DunkingDurant35
02-15-2012, 11:49 AM
What Mayweather has failed to take into consideration is that Lin's rise to prominence from complete obscurity is unprecedented - the guy has literally scored the most points in his first few starts since the ABA/NBA merger (more than MJ and everyone else since that time), and he has done this after being undrafted and waived twice. Regardless of his race, his story would still be getting plastered everywhere simply because it is one of the greatest underdog/cinderella stories in sports we've ever seen.

mrveggieman
02-15-2012, 12:40 PM
what mayweather has failed to take into consideration is that lin's rise to prominence from complete obscurity is unprecedented - the guy has literally scored the most points in his first few starts since the aba/nba merger (more than mj and everyone else since that time), and he has done this after being undrafted and waived twice. Regardless of his race, his story would still be getting plastered everywhere simply because it is one of the greatest underdog/cinderella stories in sports we've ever seen.

+1

pghin08
02-15-2012, 01:11 PM
What Mayweather has failed to take into consideration is that Lin's rise to prominence from complete obscurity is unprecedented - the guy has literally scored the most points in his first few starts since the ABA/NBA merger (more than MJ and everyone else since that time), and he has done this after being undrafted and waived twice. Regardless of his race, his story would still be getting plastered everywhere simply because it is one of the greatest underdog/cinderella stories in sports we've ever seen.

+2 Great post. I'm not a big basketball fan, and even I'm into it.