PDA

View Full Version : Union threatings strike

cardmasters
02-14-2012, 03:20 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/no-more-twinkies-hostess-workers-threaten-strike-172420733--abc-news.html

duane1969
02-14-2012, 06:38 PM
Where is everyone who loves unions to defend this? Clearly the unions have the best interest of the workers in mind by demanding high wages even though the company is going bankrupt. Nevermind that the workers will be unemployed when the company closes it's doors because it can't afford to pay the inflated salaries anymore.

habsheaven
02-14-2012, 07:10 PM
Where is everyone who loves unions to defend this? Clearly the unions have the best interest of the workers in mind by demanding high wages even though the company is going bankrupt. Nevermind that the workers will be unemployed when the company closes it's doors because it can't afford to pay the inflated salaries anymore.

Only one I know on here that fits the "loves unions" description is Mrveggieman. Won't find the rest of the resident lefties supporting them. lol

mrveggieman
02-15-2012, 08:47 AM
Only one I know on here that fits the "loves unions" description is Mrveggieman. Won't find the rest of the resident lefties supporting them. lol

I wouldn't go as far to say I love unions, but I do respect them and support what they do. That being said if a company cannot or will not pay their employees weather or not they are unionized the will eventually go out of business regardless.

Star_Cards
02-15-2012, 09:03 AM
I wish the article actually had some numbers about this. How much they are asking for to cut. What the unions have cut in the past according to the union leader quote, etc.

Hard to get a sense of the situation. I will say that if a company needs to cut wages they should be able to do so. The workers can choose to take the cuts or find employment with another company. It's hard to say if the wage cuts are unfair without numbers. It's also hard to say if the cuts are worth the workers taking over losing their jobs anyways if the company shuts down. Seems like the better of the two options is still having a company that employees people rather than having no company and no employees. Although that's assuming that these wage cuts would allow them to be a productive company again.

I do see the union side if they have taken wage cuts before and the company has continued to not make proper use of those cuts to reduce their debt.

duane1969
02-15-2012, 09:36 AM
From a different article on the subject...

Hostess said in court filings that its struggles were largely related to its heavy obligations to union workers and retirees. It also said its competitors don't face the same burden. Hostess said that in its previous bankruptcy reorganization, it "did not obtain any substantial relief" from its union obligations

http://www.usatoday.com/money/companies/management/story/2012-02-13/teamsters-hostess-wonder-bread-twinkies/53081758/1

Their request for a modified agreement will be ruled on in court.

shrewsbury
02-15-2012, 09:48 AM
I left a great job because a union was moving in, even though the union offered me a leadership role and i live in a right to work state.

I have no issues with those who are in a union, but it is not for me. if i can't defend myself, or if i can't keep my job, that is my issue to fix, not someone else.

has the union ever downsized it's leaders to save money? have unions ever cut their dues to save money?

often i feel it is more of a mob threat and protecting those who are not good employees. i can see back in the day when safety and other regulations were not in place, the unions could help protect people from unsafe practices, but now these are handled outside the union with federal and local regulations, such as OSHA.

Star_Cards
02-15-2012, 12:36 PM
I left a great job because a union was moving in, even though the union offered me a leadership role and i live in a right to work state.

I have no issues with those who are in a union, but it is not for me. if i can't defend myself, or if i can't keep my job, that is my issue to fix, not someone else.

has the union ever downsized it's leaders to save money? have unions ever cut their dues to save money?

often i feel it is more of a mob threat and protecting those who are not good employees. i can see back in the day when safety and other regulations were not in place, the unions could help protect people from unsafe practices, but now these are handled outside the union with federal and local regulations, such as OSHA.

this is pretty much my stance exactly.