PDA

View Full Version : Georgia Gov. Nathan Deal supports drug tests for unemployment benefits

mrveggieman
02-15-2012, 05:36 PM
Even though I didn't vote for him I agree with him on this:

http://blogs.ajc.com/political-insider-jim-galloway/2012/02/15/nathan-deal-%E2%80%98i-could-support-drug-tests-for-unemployment-benefits%E2%80%99/

shrewsbury
02-15-2012, 06:17 PM
AGREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

and for welfare too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PackersFan1208
02-15-2012, 06:18 PM
also agree...good stuff

duane1969
02-15-2012, 10:00 PM
Brace yourself....I oppose this. My logic is simple.

I support testing for welfare recipients because they are receiving tax payer money. The system that supports them is not self-supporting. Without taxpayer dollars the program ceases to exists. They have no right to use taxpayer dollars for recreational drugs or alcohol.

I do not support testing for those receiving unemployment benefits because they paid into the system and are drawing out based on what they paid in. It is their money. That is why it is called unemployment insurance. Without taxpayer dollars it would still be funded. How they spend the money is their business, it is their money. If they bought alcohol/drugs with their paycheck then there is no reason they should be monitored when they spend their unemployment check since it is money that came out of their paychecks anyway.

The only exception to my position is if their regular unemployment benefits have expired and they are now drawing benefits funded by the extension that Obama put in place. That is taxpayer dollars and I consider it just another social entitlement program.

texansrangerfan73
02-15-2012, 10:07 PM
Brace yourself....I oppose this. My logic is simple.

I support testing for welfare recipients because they are receiving tax payer money. The system that supports them is not self-supporting. Without taxpayer dollars the program ceases to exists. They have no right to use taxpayer dollars for recreational drugs or alcohol.

I do not support testing for those receiving unemployment benefits because they paid into the system and are drawing out based on what they paid in. It is their money. That is why it is called unemployment insurance. Without taxpayer dollars it would still be funded. How they spend the money is their business, it is their money. If they bought alcohol/drugs with their paycheck then there is no reason they should be monitored when they spend their unemployment check since it is money that came out of their paychecks anyway.

The only exception to my position is if their regular unemployment benefits have expired and they are now drawing benefits funded by the extension that Obama put in place. That is taxpayer dollars and I consider it just another social entitlement program.

I totally agree with both these bolded parts. The UIB is the money the employee has paid in so they should be able to spend it how they wish. Should the governments dictate your own money? No I don't thing so, they dictate almost everything else!

shrewsbury
02-15-2012, 10:11 PM
you don't pay into UC, your employer pays state and federal unemployment "taxes" that fund these programs and only the employer pays this tax it is not deducted from your pay.

texansrangerfan73
02-15-2012, 10:14 PM
Sorry but any & all taxes are deducted from an employees paycheck except for 1) Sales tax & 2) Property taxes.

shrewsbury
02-15-2012, 10:16 PM
sorry, you are incorrect, here is a direct quote for you;

Costs are Truly Shared by Federal and State Government
Operating as a federal-state partnership, UC is based on federal law, but administered by the states. The UC program is unique among U.S. social insurance programs in that it is funded almost totally by either federal or state taxes paid by employers.

texansrangerfan73
02-15-2012, 10:22 PM
Nobody is saying it's not paid by the taxpayers or emplyers but my argument is this. YOU as an employee is ultimately paying for or into the UIB by taxes takin out of our paychecks.

shrewsbury
02-15-2012, 10:32 PM
I do not support testing for those receiving unemployment benefits because they paid into the system and are drawing out based on what they paid in.

but really they didn't. unemployment benefits are distributed primarily through the taxes paid by employers, not employees, and they pay it double, a fed and state tax.

the benefits received are based on what the "employee" made while employed there, but the funds come from the taxes added to the employer not the employee.

in other words, unless you are an employer, the fed and state taxes you pay do not go into the UC funds.

here in another quote for you;

State UC tax rates vary from state-to-state. State UC taxes may be used only to pay benefits to unemployed workers. The state UC tax rate paid by employers is based on the state's current unemployment rate. As their unemployment rates go up, the states are required by federal law to raise the UC tax rate paid by employers.

this is an issue, these people need to get to work, so employers are paying less taxes, have more money and can hire more people!

mrveggieman
02-16-2012, 09:42 AM
Regardless of who paid into the unemployment tax if you are on unemployment you need to be out looking for a job not spending your time getting high. If you want to get high get a job to buy your drugs.

shrewsbury
02-16-2012, 02:37 PM
you are correct, my point was welfare and UC are both tax funded.

mrveggieman
02-16-2012, 02:53 PM
Most gov't jobs require you to get a drug test. Why should you expect to get money from the gov't for free w/o stipulations? The gov't is not obligated to give you unemployment compensation or anything else for that matter. They can change the law anytime they want and simply emliminate unemployment insurance.

shrewsbury
02-16-2012, 03:27 PM
i am agreeing on the testing part, but pointing out to others who stated UC is not tax based, that it is tax based.

duane1969
02-16-2012, 07:33 PM
but really they didn't. unemployment benefits are distributed primarily through the taxes paid by employers, not employees, and they pay it double, a fed and state tax.

the benefits received are based on what the "employee" made while employed there, but the funds come from the taxes added to the employer not the employee.

in other words, unless you are an employer, the fed and state taxes you pay do not go into the UC funds.

here in another quote for you;

this is an issue, these people need to get to work, so employers are paying less taxes, have more money and can hire more people!

Perhaps a modification is required.

Unemloyment benefits are earned by working. Without the work history no right to the unemplyment insurance is earned. Without employees the employers pay nothing into the system. Unemployment insurance is a direct result of being employed.

I look at it like this. It is a form of a 401k that targets short term needs rather than long-term retirement benefits. If the government starts dictating how people can spend their unemployment benefits then it is only a matter of time until they decide to dictate how we can spend our retirement that is provided by employers.

And it isn't a tax. Everyone doesn't pay in. It isn't based on sales, purchases or income. It is a program that employers pay into based on the number of employees they have. It is essentially a government controlled 401k.

mrveggieman
02-17-2012, 09:23 AM
Yes duane we understand the logistics of it but again the gov't is not obligated to provide the unemployment insurance program. They can simply say no more taxes will be taken from companies or employees depending on your spin on it and if you are ever laid off you are out of luck. Then see how much money you will have to buy your drugs. Regardless of if their are drug tests or not shouldn't a responsible person be worried to find employment to pay their bills instead of scoring their next hit?

shrewsbury
02-17-2012, 11:08 AM
nice post mrveggieman!