PDA

View Full Version : School makes girl eat chicken nuggets after deeming her lunch from home unhealthy

pwaldo
02-15-2012, 08:00 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2101354/Food-police-reject-preschoolers-homemade-lunch--favour-chicken-nuggets.html

A preschool girl was told her homemade meal wasn't healthy enough - so a school cafeteria monitor made her eat chicken nuggets instead.

The rejected meal consisted of a turkey and cheese sandwich on whole wheat bread, with a side of a banana, potato chips, and apple juice.

The Department of Health and Human Services requires students to eat lunches that consist of meat, milk, grain, and two servings of fruit or vegetables.

The mother still wonders what it was exactly that disqualified her meal, and she expects that the bag of potato chips were potentially the problem.

That said, Jani Kozlowski, the spokesperson from the DHHS children's division said that the meal sounds like it would have passed the federal guidelines test.

'With a turkey sandwich, that covers your protein, your grain, and if it had cheese on it, that’s the dairy,' Ms Kozlowski told The Carolina Journal.

'It sounds like the lunch itself would’ve met all of the standards,' she said, not having worked with the school in question herself.

On top of the wasted food that was sent home with the little girl at the end of the day was a $1.25 bill for the 'healthy' school lunch.

'I don't feel that I should pay for a cafeteria lunch when I provide lunch for her from home,' the mother wrote in a letter to her state representative.

duane1969
02-15-2012, 08:24 PM
LOL I would like for them to try that with my kid.

Our schools are gung-ho over banning ketchup. For a meal that includes a burger and fries they get 2 little packs of ketchup (not even 1 teaspoon per pack, they are tiny). The food is already nasty as it is. The burgers are baked with no seasoning and on a whole wheat bun and the fries are baked with no seasoning. Salt is not handed out and the ketchup is watery anyway.

My daughter was upset about this so I bought her a little bottle of ketchup (like 4 oz.) to keep in her locker and take with her to the lunchroom when they were having food that needed ketchup. A teacher tried to take it but my daughter warned that I had already said that I would demand a meeting if a teacher took her ketchup. The teacher walked away.

The next day the principal called me about the ketchup. Before he could get started I challenged him to fax me a copy of where county or state policy forbade children from bringing their own condiments and then call me back to discuss the policy. I never heard from them about it again.

stoked_81
02-15-2012, 08:34 PM
lol thats funny

mugatu471
02-15-2012, 09:06 PM
Wow, unbelievable.

Star_Cards
02-15-2012, 09:37 PM
this is so weird.

mrveggieman
02-16-2012, 08:51 AM
Wow the food police at it's finest. This will eventually lead to a lawsuit.

pghin08
02-16-2012, 09:05 AM
LOL I would like for them to try that with my kid.

Our schools are gung-ho over banning ketchup. For a meal that includes a burger and fries they get 2 little packs of ketchup (not even 1 teaspoon per pack, they are tiny). The food is already nasty as it is. The burgers are baked with no seasoning and on a whole wheat bun and the fries are baked with no seasoning. Salt is not handed out and the ketchup is watery anyway.

My daughter was upset about this so I bought her a little bottle of ketchup (like 4 oz.) to keep in her locker and take with her to the lunchroom when they were having food that needed ketchup. A teacher tried to take it but my daughter warned that I had already said that I would demand a meeting if a teacher took her ketchup. The teacher walked away.

The next day the principal called me about the ketchup. Before he could get started I challenged him to fax me a copy of where county or state policy forbade children from bringing their own condiments and then call me back to discuss the policy. I never heard from them about it again.

Good for you man, this whole thing is ridiculous. I have a friend who is a chef (and soon to be an R&D chef for Heinz), and her and I were discussing this very thing last night (ironically over a burger and fries--if you're ever in Pittsburgh, go to Burgatory). It's absolutely ridiculous. Talk about over-regulation!

mrveggieman
02-16-2012, 09:22 AM
Good for you man, this whole thing is ridiculous. I have a friend who is a chef (and soon to be an R&D chef for Heinz), and her and I were discussing this very thing last night (ironically over a burger and fries--if you're ever in Pittsburgh, go to Burgatory). It's absolutely ridiculous. Talk about over-regulation!

I googled Burgatory but am getting an error message on their site. Also what if the child didn't eat meat due to religious resons? I can see the ACLU all over this. These schools are underfunded as it is the last thing that they need are more avoidable lawsuits.

pghin08
02-16-2012, 10:32 AM
I googled Burgatory but am getting an error message on their site. Also what if the child didn't eat meat due to religious resons? I can see the ACLU all over this. These schools are underfunded as it is the last thing that they need are more avoidable lawsuits.

http://www.burgatorybar.com/

They have a mean veggie burger too! :thumb:

That's a good point on what would have happened had the child been a vegetarian, I never thought of that, but it would've been a HUGE headache for the school.

Joncamburn
02-16-2012, 10:35 AM
http://www.burgatorybar.com/

They have a mean veggie burger too! :thumb:

That's a good point on what would have happened had the child been a vegetarian, I never thought of that, but it would've been a HUGE headache for the school.

If she was a vegitarian she probably wouldn't of had a turkey sandwich in her bag :)

pghin08
02-16-2012, 10:38 AM
If she was a vegitarian she probably wouldn't of had a turkey sandwich in her bag :)

Maybe it was tofu based :winking0071:

mrveggieman
02-16-2012, 11:29 AM

True but what about a vegetarian child? If the school forced a vegetarian child to eat meat and the child got sick then the lawyers would have a field day.

Wickabee
02-16-2012, 11:36 AM
True but what about a vegetarian child? If the school forced a vegetarian child to eat meat and the child got sick then the lawyers would have a field day.
Even if the child didn't get sick there's a TON of room for a lawyer to have a field day.
Personally, I think we are becoming a completely over-litigious society and I especially hate to see a school or anyone dealing with children get sued over something stupid (like, "your kid hit mine on the playground" or, "You ruined my child's confidence by giving him a bad grade"). This, however, would have me calling a lawyer in a second. As a parent I don't have the opportunity to say yes or no, to check the cleanliness of the prep area, look at the food list, etc, etc.
Do NOT forcefeed my child anything. For all I know you're shoving salmonella factories down her throat. It would literally be all I could do not to go down and knock heads.

AUTaxMan
02-16-2012, 02:31 PM
You all realize that this is what Michelle Obama wants, right? To be able to tell us what we have to feed our kids, because we are too dumb to be able to do it on our own. It's really just a microcosm of how Obama views government's role in our lives, as a cradle-to-grave nanny state. This is NOT the America that our forefathers sacrificed their lives, fortunes, and sacred honor to found. The more power our government has, the less free we become.

mrveggieman
02-16-2012, 02:33 PM
You all realize that this is what Michelle Obama wants, right? To be able to tell us what we have to feed our kids, because we are too dumb to be able to do it on our own. It's really just a microcosm of how Obama views government's role in our lives, as a cradle-to-grave nanny state. This is NOT the America that our forefathers sacrificed their lives, fortunes, and sacred honor to found. The more power our government has, the less free we become.

Mrtaxman would you like some chesese with your daily Obama family wine?

pghin08
02-16-2012, 02:38 PM

I don't think he likes it when people tell him what to eat. :pop2:

I kid, AUTax, nothing but love.

AUTaxMan
02-16-2012, 02:39 PM

So you think it's ok for the government to tell us what we have to feed our kids?

mrveggieman
02-16-2012, 02:41 PM
So you think it's ok for the government to tell us what we have to feed our kids?

No it is not ok but this has absoultely nothing to do with Mrs. Obama. You are giving her way too much power.

Star_Cards
02-16-2012, 03:11 PM

I didn't get any of that from her initiative. From what I've heard, her push is to get schools to provide healthier lunches. I see that as a good thing. I guess you can look at it as her wanting to control what every parent feeds their child. The school lunches when I was growing up was pretty much like fast food. Hamburgers, Piazza, fries, milk shakes, apple crisp, sloppy joe and so on. I don't see it as a desire on her part to control our lives. I see it as wanting to try to help reduce childhood obesity and make kids healthy and more educated when it comes to nutrition. As a person who was over weight growing up I would have been grateful for it.

Star_Cards
02-16-2012, 03:15 PM

Her program to get healthier lunches in school has nothing to do with telling people what they can feed their child. Besides, if you see it as that aren't they doing it right now. They are just feeding them processed fast food type food. The idea of her changing the menu to a healthier doesn't change the fact that the government has been feeding kids what they want for years. I myself don;t see it as that. I see it as them offering lunch and you can either buy it or bring your own lunch. I'm dumbfounded as to why anyone would see her desire to make the food served at schools more healthy is a bad thing. You may not like either Obama, but don;t let that cloud your judgement to think this is about a government controlling children by serving them healthier food.

pwaldo
02-16-2012, 03:20 PM
Also what if the child didn't eat meat due to religious resons?

The Department of Health and Human Services requires students to eat lunches that consist of meat, milk, grain, and two servings of fruit or vegetables.

I was thinking the same thing after reading this. It requires students to eat meat and milk? That doesn't sound like it would go over well with some people.

AUTaxMan
02-16-2012, 06:00 PM
Her program to get healthier lunches in school has nothing to do with telling people what they can feed their child. Besides, if you see it as that aren't they doing it right now. They are just feeding them processed fast food type food. The idea of her changing the menu to a healthier doesn't change the fact that the government has been feeding kids what they want for years. I myself don;t see it as that. I see it as them offering lunch and you can either buy it or bring your own lunch. I'm dumbfounded as to why anyone would see her desire to make the food served at schools more healthy is a bad thing. You may not like either Obama, but don;t let that cloud your judgement to think this is about a government controlling children by serving them healthier food.

Why is a school inspecting children's bag lunches to make sure they meet federal nutritional guidelines?

duane1969
02-16-2012, 06:19 PM

I was thinking the same thing after reading this. It requires students to eat meat and milk? That doesn't sound like it would go over well with some people.

What if a kid is lactose intolerant or has an issue with protein digestion?

shortking98
02-16-2012, 08:24 PM
What if a kid is lactose intolerant or has an issue with protein digestion?

I would hope common sense would dictate in these situations but in all honesty you never know

AUTaxMan
02-16-2012, 09:50 PM
There are religious and health exceptions to the rules. However, kids may NOT refuse certain food items that are offered to them. For example, if a kid doesn't want milk or tofu, the school has to give it to him, even if he's just going to throw it in the trash. Very economically efficient.

ensbergcollector
02-16-2012, 10:38 PM
My daughter has a ton of food issues which keep her from eating some basic things like milk, potatoes, tomatoes, bread, etc. I forsee many issues with schools in my future.

theonedru
02-17-2012, 05:46 AM

Alot, and I mean alot of parents have no clue what a healthy meal or food is, Its sickening to see what some people allow their kids to eat. And if they do not care about their kids then someone needs to take control

theonedru
02-17-2012, 05:50 AM

Does it say meat or proteins, as a vegan I would have issues if it specifically said meat, the milk part is of little consequence considering the availabilities of various non dairy based milks

AUTaxMan
02-17-2012, 08:26 AM
Alot, and I mean alot of parents have no clue what a healthy meal or food is, Its sickening to see what some people allow their kids to eat. And if they do not care about their kids then someone needs to take control

Well, teach them to take care of their kids. Don't confiscate their ability of all to make food decisions for their children because some don't do an adequate job.

Star_Cards
02-17-2012, 08:53 AM
Why is a school inspecting children's bag lunches to make sure they meet federal nutritional guidelines?

I have no clue and that act is absurd. Still, I doubt it has anything to do with Michelle Obama.

AUTaxMan
02-17-2012, 09:32 AM
I have no clue and that act is absurd. Still, I doubt it has anything to do with Michelle Obama.

While it is unclear who the inspector was, it is clear that the inspector was a government (either state or federal) agent who was searching children's lunches to ensure that they complied with federal nutritional guidelines. These guidelines were put in place to implement the policies championed by our first lady.

Wickabee
02-17-2012, 11:40 AM
The same policies are championed by millions around the world, not to mention the US itself. Are they to blame too, or just Obama?

pwaldo
02-17-2012, 03:37 PM
Does it say meat or proteins, as a vegan I would have issues if it specifically said meat, the milk part is of little consequence considering the availabilities of various non dairy based milks

That's what the Department of Health and Human Services says....

mrveggieman
02-17-2012, 03:43 PM

So what does the DHHS think that they are going to do. Force food down kids throats?

theonedru
02-17-2012, 05:18 PM

My lawyers would have a field day with that, As a vegan I am seriously offended at their choice of wording, but then its the government, like they really care

DaClyde
02-17-2012, 05:53 PM

As a product of the public school system, and having eaten my share of school lunches, I believe there is some missing text there. It should say:

"The Department of Health and Human Services requires students to eat lunches that consist of meat-like substance, milk-product, grain-product, and two servings of fruit-product or vegetable-textured substance."

Nothing they serve should be confused with food.