PDA

View Full Version : Samuel L. Jackson: I voted for Obama because he was black

pwaldo
02-16-2012, 09:35 PM
http://www.politico.com/blogs/click/2012/02/samuel-l-jackson-rants-about-obama-race-114201.html

Actor Samuel L. Jackson put politics aside when casting his vote for Barack Obama in 2008 and made his decision based on race.

“I voted for Barack because he was black. ’Cuz that’s why other folks vote for other people — because they look like them,” the actor recently told Ebony magazine via Page Six. “That’s American politics, pure and simple. [Obama’s] message didn’t mean [bleep] to me."

Jackson, who skipped the Oscars to campaign for Obama four years ago, expressed his disappointment in the president, complaining that “in the end, he’s a politician."

"I just hoped he would do some of what he said he was gonna do," Jackson said. "I know politicians say [bleep]; they lie. ’Cuz they want to get elected.”

Jackson added, “When it comes down to it, they wouldn’t have elected a [bleep]. Because, what’s a [bleep]? A [bleep] is scary. Obama ain’t scary at all. [Bleeps] don’t have beers at the White House. [Bleeps] don’t let some white dude, while you in the middle of a speech, call [him] a liar. A [bleep] would have stopped the meeting right there and said, ‘Who the [bleep] said that?’ I hope Obama gets scary in the next four years, ’cuz he ain’t gotta worry about getting re-elected.”

shrewsbury
02-17-2012, 12:08 AM
what an idiot, so no white people voted for obama?

ensbergcollector
02-17-2012, 12:12 AM
crazy thing is, i don't care. but can you imagine the outcry if a white actor said he voted for mccain because he was white?

mrveggieman
02-17-2012, 09:29 AM
This is a non issue to me. Yes some black people voted for president obama because he is black just like some white people did not vote for him for the same reason. However the majority of americans regardless of race voted for him because they liked his message and vision that he has for our country.

Star_Cards
02-17-2012, 09:47 AM
what an idiot, so no white people voted for obama?

he's not saying that. he saying that a lot of people tend to connect with a candidate that is also like them in some fashion. For him, Obama's skin color was something that he connected with and made him vote for him. I'm sure a lot of people cast votes based off of things like this. skin color, religion, if they are attractive, how their vote sounds, and so on.

Star_Cards
02-17-2012, 09:49 AM
crazy thing is, i don't care. but can you imagine the outcry if a white actor said he voted for mccain because he was white?

that would happen no matter what party a white candidate was part of.

pghin08
02-17-2012, 10:13 AM

That would NOT end well.

Theodor Madison
02-17-2012, 10:30 AM
I think the average count of black people that voted for Mr. O is higher than we all think. Even higher than Black people would like to admit.

shrewsbury
02-17-2012, 11:07 AM
i have never connected to anyone, whether a politician or friend, because of a skin color, people of all colors can be dumb and those are the people i avoid and do not connect with!

ensbergcollector
02-17-2012, 11:22 AM
This is a non issue to me. Yes some black people voted for president obama because he is black just like some white people did not vote for him for the same reason. However the majority of americans regardless of race voted for him because they liked his message and vision that he has for our country.

yes and if a white person admitted to not voting for obama because he was black they would be crucified. So why is it ok for someone to say they voted for him because he was black.

also, just because you can assume racism in others, doesn't mean admitted racism is ok.

mrveggieman
02-17-2012, 11:36 AM
yes and if a white person admitted to not voting for obama because he was black they would be crucified. So why is it ok for someone to say they voted for him because he was black.

also, just because you can assume racism in others, doesn't mean admitted racism is ok.

I have never once on this threrad or anywhere else said or even suggested that racism is right. People vote for or against politicians for all types of reasons. Some good some bad. Let's take Hermain Cain for example. He is supposedly black but I along with every black person that I know would never vote for him even if our lives depended on it. Yes there is racism on both sides but to suggest that black people will vote for a canidate just because of his race and ignoring his political views is just plain preposterous.

ensbergcollector
02-17-2012, 11:57 AM
I have never once on this threrad or anywhere else said or even suggested that racism is right. People vote for or against politicians for all types of reasons. Some good some bad. Let's take Hermain Cain for example. He is supposedly black but I along with every black person that I know would never vote for him even if our lives depended on it. Yes there is racism on both sides but to suggest that black people will vote for a canidate just because of his race and ignoring his political views is just plain preposterous.

ok, 2 things. first of all, where did I say that? and second of all, did you even read the article where jackson said he could care less about obama's views? That obama's views meant "bleep" to him" and that he voted because he looked like him? preposterous indeed

mrveggieman
02-17-2012, 12:01 PM
ok, 2 things. first of all, where did I say that? and second of all, did you even read the article where jackson said he could care less about obama's views? That obama's views meant "bleep" to him" and that he voted because he looked like him? preposterous indeed

You suggested that. And samuel jackson just like herman cain does not speak for nor do either one of them represent the views of all black people. So what if jackson voted for obama because he is black. What is the significance? Are you suggesting that that the majority of the people in the country which would be white people also voted for president obama because he is black?

ensbergcollector
02-17-2012, 12:06 PM
You suggested that. And samuel jackson just like herman cain does not speak for nor do either one of them represent the views of all black people. So what if jackson voted for obama because he is black. What is the significance? Are you suggesting that that the majority of the people in the country which would be white people also voted for president obama because he is black?

ok, at this point i think you are pretending not to understand my point on purpose.

you say that to say black people would vote for obama only because he is black is preposterous. yet, this thread is about a well known black american who is saying flat out that was all he voted on. Therefore, it is obviously not preposterous. if you want to pretend jackson is the only american that voted that way, feel free.

secondly, my point through all of this is that if a well known white american said they voted for mccain because he was white, the fall out would be 1000-fold what jackson gets which is nothing.

you seem to be saying that it is acceptable because white people do it too. my point is simply that it is viewed as perfectly acceptable that jackson voted on race, but it would not be acceptable in the least if a white person admitted the same. it would be deemed racism and there would be calls to boycott their movies IMO.

mrveggieman
02-17-2012, 12:14 PM
I really don't care who samuel jackson votes for. He is not my political guru. Again samuel jackson is black but he speaks for all black people as much as herman cain does. As I have said earlier I'm pretty sure that some black people voted for president obama solely based on race just like some white people didn't vote for him because of race. Again I don't think that is right but that is a small group of people and it had little significance on the race. If the issue feels that much to you and you want to boycott his movies knock yourself out. The rest of us have more important things to concern ourselves with.

ok, at this point i think you are pretending not to understand my point on purpose.

you say that to say black people would vote for obama only because he is black is preposterous. yet, this thread is about a well known black american who is saying flat out that was all he voted on. Therefore, it is obviously not preposterous. if you want to pretend jackson is the only american that voted that way, feel free.

secondly, my point through all of this is that if a well known white american said they voted for mccain because he was white, the fall out would be 1000-fold what jackson gets which is nothing.

you seem to be saying that it is acceptable because white people do it too. my point is simply that it is viewed as perfectly acceptable that jackson voted on race, but it would not be acceptable in the least if a white person admitted the same. it would be deemed racism and there would be calls to boycott their movies IMO.

ensbergcollector
02-17-2012, 12:16 PM
I really don't care who samuel jackson votes for. He is not my political guru. Again samuel jackson is black but he speaks for all black people as much as herman cain does. As I have said earlier I'm pretty sure that some black people voted for president obama solely based on race just like some white people didn't vote for him because of race. Again I don't think that is right but that is a small group of people and it had little significance on the race. If the issue feels that much to you and you want to boycott his movies knock yourself out. The rest of us have more important things to concern ourselves with.

what in the world are you talking about? will you please address my actual issue? i don't want to boycott his movies. my first post even said i could care less. my point is that if a white person made the same claim there would be cries of racism and calls to boycott their movies. are you purposely not reading what I am writing??

also, i never said jackson spoke for anyone? you said to say a black person would vote for obama on race alone was preposterous. i said, this thread is about 1 who admits just that. what does that have to do with herman cain or jackson speaking for anyone?

mrveggieman
02-17-2012, 12:32 PM
what in the world are you talking about? will you please address my actual issue? i don't want to boycott his movies. my first post even said i could care less. my point is that if a white person made the same claim there would be cries of racism and calls to boycott their movies. are you purposely not reading what I am writing??

also, i never said jackson spoke for anyone? you said to say a black person would vote for obama on race alone was preposterous. i said, this thread is about 1 who admits just that. what does that have to do with herman cain or jackson speaking for anyone?

Plenty of white as well as other celeberties of different races have stuck their foot in their mouth. If I or anyone else took the time to boycott all of them we would be sitting alone in a dark house isolated from the rest of the world. You are suggesting that black people vote based on race because of samuel jackson. I countered by saying that herman cain would get no love from black people.

ensbergcollector
02-17-2012, 12:35 PM
Plenty of white as well as other celeberties of different races have stuck their foot in their mouth. If I or anyone else took the time to boycott all of them we would be sitting alone in a dark house isolated from the rest of the world. You are suggesting that black people vote based on race because of samuel jackson. I countered by saying that herman cain would get no love from black people.

ok, you are refusing to address my point so i will let it go after this. i was commenting on jackson and jackson alone. i did not say or suggest he represented anyone. you keep claiming that so you can avoid what i have actually said. we aren't talking about someone sticking their foot in their mouth and saying something stupid. we are talking about something that IMO would be deemed racist if a white person had said it.

mrveggieman
02-17-2012, 12:41 PM
ok, you are refusing to address my point so i will let it go after this. i was commenting on jackson and jackson alone. i did not say or suggest he represented anyone. you keep claiming that so you can avoid what i have actually said. we aren't talking about someone sticking their foot in their mouth and saying something stupid. we are talking about something that IMO would be deemed racist if a white person had said it.

Yes what he said made no sense. President Obama is worthy of being voted for regardless of what you republicans say about him.

BigBerserker
02-17-2012, 12:50 PM
My only question is, did he yell as he was saying all of this?

mrveggieman
02-17-2012, 01:07 PM
My only question is, did he yell as he was saying all of this?

:sign0020:

duwal
02-17-2012, 01:57 PM
This is a non issue to me. Yes some black people voted for president obama because he is black just like some white people did not vote for him for the same reason.

exactly, it went both ways. When I went over to the west coast to work on a trial there was a good amount of my fellow Republicans who flat out said they weren't going to vote for him because they didn't want a black guy in office (actually they used a form of the N word but you get what they're saying).

DunkingDurant35
02-17-2012, 02:27 PM
Sadly, he is not alone in this. There are also some women who would vote for Hillary strictly because she's a woman. I'd like to think the majority of Americans vote for someone because of their platform relative to the other candidates, but who knows how many are actually that thorough?

pwaldo
02-17-2012, 04:49 PM

What?