PDA

View Full Version : Outsourcing jobs. Your thoughts

mrveggieman
02-21-2012, 10:44 AM
What do you think when you call in to your telecommunications provider or financial institution with questions about your account or your statement and reach someone overseas? What if there is a communications barrier? I understand that companies do this to save money but it costs this more money in the long run. For one a lot of the times if the customers inquiry is not resolved during the first call the customer calls back again and again. Also the poor customer service reflects bad on the company causing customers to leave for the competition which costs business money. My solution is to have an american call center during normal business hours and have a call center in Latin America to answer spanish calls as well as to back up the american call center. The Latin call center can also be open after hours as well as weekends and holidays. Your thoughts.

duane1969
02-21-2012, 01:04 PM
I agree. I often end the conversation with these overseas call centers with no resolution. The language barrier is often a major issue.

Funny story. I called a service center and got a guy who was clearly from India that told me his name was Mark Jones. I was so caught off guard that I forgot what I was calling for and had to hang up. I later heard a comedian on Comedy Central telling a joke about the same thing happening to him and wondered if we got the same guy. Apparently some of them "adopt" American sounding names to try and make customers more comfortable.

pspstatus
02-22-2012, 12:49 AM
I think outsourcing jobs is the reason our economy has been on the decline.

andrewhoya
02-22-2012, 07:49 AM
One of the reasons I stopped flying United Airlines. I now fly JetBlue- they have around 8 call centers. One in salt lake city, one in new York, and others in the Caribbean for those calling in the Caribbean. Makes things a lot easier.

shrewsbury
02-22-2012, 09:38 AM
there are plenty of spanish speaking americans, why outsource any of it?

this is a huge issue ofr our economy.

these our the companies that should have their taxes increased, so much that it would be cheaper for them to keep the jobs in america.

AUTaxMan
02-22-2012, 11:09 AM
The market will determine whether or not outsourcing is economically wise. If it is truly all that inconvenient, people will change service providers.

mrveggieman
02-22-2012, 11:34 AM
The market will determine whether or not outsourcing is economically wise. If it is truly all that inconvenient, people will change service providers.

I once worked for a company that outsourced most of their call centers and had the american office as the back up call center. They went belly up.

AUTaxMan
02-22-2012, 11:41 AM
I once worked for a company that outsourced most of their call centers and had the american office as the back up call center. They went belly up.

And that's how it should work.

angel0430
02-22-2012, 11:48 AM
One of the reasons I stopped flying United Airlines. I now fly JetBlue- they have around 8 call centers. One in salt lake city, one in new York, and others in the Caribbean for those calling in the Caribbean. Makes things a lot easier.

This is the only airline that I se and their customer service is awesome.

andrewhoya
02-22-2012, 07:27 PM
This is the only airline that I se and their customer service is awesome.

Agreed. They actually care about their customers.

tutall
02-26-2012, 11:57 AM
Ive never had a single issue with a call center... if you cant understand someone ask for someone you can understand and the issue is solved... The company I work for has call centers in Asia and a couple in the US... If you ask to be connected to someone in the US they will re-route your call to the US call center and every call you make to them going forward will be automatically routed to that call center...

mrveggieman
02-27-2012, 09:52 AM
Ive never had a single issue with a call center... if you cant understand someone ask for someone you can understand and the issue is solved... The company I work for has call centers in Asia and a couple in the US... If you ask to be connected to someone in the US they will re-route your call to the US call center and every call you make to them going forward will be automatically routed to that call center...

Some companies will not do that. At my old job all the calls had to go throught the offshore call centers. And if you called after hours and did not want to speak with them you would have to wait to the american office opened up.

duane1969
02-27-2012, 10:51 AM
Gateway computers is a company that used to have all call centers in India. Back when I had a Gateway I called their tech support probably 15 times over a 2 year period. I always got a customer service tech in India that I could understand but that could not understand me. I gues it was my Appalachian accent or something LOL

tsjct
02-27-2012, 03:40 PM
if outsourcing jobs is more economical for the company it is their right to do it. If you do not like it use a different company. Its all economics.