PDA

View Full Version : The Myth of the End of Terrorism

pghin08
02-24-2012, 11:10 AM
http://www.stratfor.com/weekly/myth-end-terrorism

I want to preface this by saying two things:

1. If you have a substantial interest in international affairs and geopolitics, STRATFOR is the place to go. These people extraordinary at intelligence-gathering, and offer a very unbiased look at the world around us.

2. Per the article itself, it offers a great sort of cautionary tale. Our notions of terrorism and how it exists today is only predicated on what we knew of terrorism in the past. We shouldn't assume that future terrorist acts will resemble the old, because they very likely won't.

habsheaven
02-24-2012, 11:48 AM
Thanks for the link to the site. I'm always interested in reading up on worldy issues from people who can present an unbiased view. Considering YOU posted the link, I think this may be a worthwhile site.

pghin08
02-24-2012, 12:03 PM
Thanks for the link to the site. I'm always interested in reading up on worldy issues from people who can present an unbiased view. Considering YOU posted the link, I think this may be a worthwhile site.

First off, I'm flattered that you think highly enough of me to trust my judgement on these things. Secondly, they are a subscription site, but they've started offering a ton of stuff for free, which is awesome.

theonedru
02-24-2012, 02:07 PM
One of the best articles I have ever read. Wish more stories were written like this.

pghin08
02-24-2012, 03:08 PM
One of the best articles I have ever read. Wish more stories were written like this.

STRATFOR really does a dynamite job with this stuff. I had a professor recommend it to me in college, and I've kept up with them ever since.

pwaldo
02-24-2012, 03:52 PM
Does anybody actually believe that terrorism can end? I don't think I've heard anybody actually say that or believe that. It is like saying the end of crime. Not going to happen unfortunately.

pghin08
02-24-2012, 04:09 PM
Does anybody actually believe that terrorism can end? I don't think I've heard anybody actually say that or believe that. It is like saying the end of crime. Not going to happen unfortunately.

It was a popular thought after the Cold War ended. With the growing interconnectivity of the world, it was thought that we were ushering in an era of economic prosperity leading to world peace. With the lack of conventional terror attacks in our country, coupled with the past two administrations doing a good job knocking out the perceived enemy (al-Qaeda), we face the danger of falling into complacency. Rather, we should be looking at recent events not as anomalies, but as the article puts it, a new cycle of terror.

theonedru
02-24-2012, 07:26 PM
as long as we are independent nations with delusions of superiority against our fellow man there will never be an end to terrorism

mrveggieman
02-27-2012, 08:36 AM
as long as we are independent nations with delusions of superiority against our fellow man there will never be an end to terrorism

Sad but true. SMH.

duane1969
02-29-2012, 09:51 AM

So what is your explanation for terrorist attacks against innocent citizens in food markets in the Middle East?

mrveggieman
02-29-2012, 10:02 AM
So what is your explanation for terrorist attacks against innocent citizens in food markets in the Middle East?

People are desperate especially in todays days and times. Gangs, racial hate groups, terror groups and all other types of criminal organizations prey on weak minded and desperate people to get them to join. They tell them if they give their life for their cause they will take care of their family.

pghin08
02-29-2012, 10:28 AM
It's like the article says, terrorism will always be a tool of the weak and desperate.