PDA

View Full Version : What to you is a sport?

andrewhoya
02-24-2012, 06:23 PM
Where do you draw the line?

Is NASCAR a sport?

What about ping pong/table tennis?

Shuffleboard?

gladdyontherise
02-24-2012, 06:29 PM
This is about to open a can of worms...but I personally consider NASCAR/Bowling sports. Table Tennis.........No

Greengoblin782
02-24-2012, 08:21 PM
Well here is the definition of Sport.

An individual or group competitive activity involving physical exertion or skill, governed by rules, and sometimes engaged in professionally

When I went to High School all the band members were complaining that the school didn't think the Marching Band was considered a sport.

andrewhoya
02-26-2012, 11:34 AM
This is about to open a can of worms...but I personally consider NASCAR/Bowling sports. Table Tennis.........No

What makes table tennis different?

andrewhoya
02-26-2012, 11:34 AM
I never thought it was a sport either. But by that definition it is.
Well here is the definition of Sport.

An individual or group competitive activity involving physical exertion or skill, governed by rules, and sometimes engaged in professionally

When I went to High School all the band members were complaining that the school didn't think the Marching Band was considered a sport.

Anthony
02-26-2012, 07:05 PM
a sport is a test of physical activity that does not have a predetermined outcome and results are not decided by judges

thats just me

andrewhoya
02-26-2012, 07:07 PM
Diving?

moceanwerker
02-26-2012, 08:38 PM
Pretty sure table tennis is an olympic "sport"? If it's good enough for the olympics, then it's good enough for me at least. imo anything played competitively, where there is a winner and a loser is a sport. This applies to hunting, fishing, Nascar, figure skating, or even synchronised swimming. These are all things that someone has to train (or practice) for, and then compete in.

I'm not sure about something like chess though...definitely takes skill (and physical exertion depending on how long the game lasts), and there is a clear winner/loser. Scrabble competitions?

andrewhoya
02-26-2012, 10:03 PM
The question is, where do you draw the line? Is thumb wrestling a sport? It has a winner or loser and takes skill.

moceanwerker
02-27-2012, 04:43 PM
The question is, where do you draw the line? Is thumb wrestling a sport? It has a winner or loser and takes skill.

after thinking it over, I guess I don't really have a "line" - I consider "sport" to be a fairly ambiguous term, such as "activity", or "work". I could see someone considering thumb wrestling a sport, along with rochambeau'ing, or even beer pong...:scared0012:

islandsportscards
02-28-2012, 05:01 PM
a sport is a test of physical activity that does not have a predetermined outcome and results are not decided by judges

thats just me

By this definition you would be exclude boxing and MMA. I consider both sports and they are often times decided by judges.

sportscardrage
02-29-2012, 05:55 PM
My question is this, why must there be a "line" for something to be called a sport? I mean sure someone that plays something like football or basketball might have more skills then someone who plays table tennis but is it really an issue to think that table tennis is a sport?

jones9923
02-29-2012, 07:17 PM
Tennis/Table tennis-sports
Nascar and poker- absolutly not sports

CavFanatic31
03-01-2012, 12:09 AM

thats just me

Using the bathroom

BGT Masters
03-01-2012, 12:13 AM
To me Nascar is not a sport.

richyrich0792
03-25-2012, 09:37 PM
to me, there has to be some strategy/thinking involved....ie, running a hundred meter sprint isn't a sport, you just run as fast as you can

roaddogg02316
03-27-2012, 07:06 PM
Anything where it takes a toll on you mentally or physically. I consider NASCAR a sport. You have to physically exert yourself to control the car and mentally be able to make the right decisions.

habsheaven
03-27-2012, 07:22 PM
All sports are games, not all games are sports. I would separate the two by the physical requirements demanded by each particular game. If there is a physical element (strength, speed, co-ordination, etc) to succeeding, it is a sport. If it only requires skill (mental) to succeed, it is a game.

debtriddin
03-28-2012, 01:30 AM
i guess lawn darts qualifies as a sport lol

DunkingDurant35
03-28-2012, 09:01 AM
All sports are games, not all games are sports. I would separate the two by the physical requirements demanded by each particular game. If there is a physical element (strength, speed, co-ordination, etc) to succeeding, it is a sport. If it only requires skill (mental) to succeed, it is a game.

Best definition so far. It's why I consider NASCAR (as much as I find it utterly boring) a sport, and why I don't consider poker one.

Triple Peanut
03-28-2012, 11:10 AM
All sports are games, not all games are sports. I would separate the two by the physical requirements demanded by each particular game. If their is a physical element (strength, speed, co-ordination, etc) to succeeding, it is a sport. If it only requires skill (mental) to succeed, it is a game.

well put. to me table tennis, shuffle board= games. i'm not into nascar but i guess i could loosely consider it a sport. as for marching band...heh, i probably don't really need to answer. how do you win at marching band?

habsheaven
03-28-2012, 11:17 AM
well put. to me table tennis, shuffle board= games. i'm not into nascar but i guess i could loosely consider it a sport. as for marching band...heh, i probably don't really need to answer. how do you win at marching band?

Lol, I guess it wasn't that "well put" because you contradicted what I said in your very next sentence. Table tennis and shuffleboard would be sports in my definition because they are physical and require co-ordination.

Triple Peanut
03-28-2012, 12:48 PM
i guess i don't really consider table tennis to be all that physical. more like a game that anyone can play with out any kind of training. mostly i was speaking of your first sentence as being well put.

DunkingDurant35
03-28-2012, 01:02 PM
Table tennis requires rapid reflexes and extraordinary hand-eye coordination. Anyone can play it much like anyone can play baseball or basketball, but it's not something you can just master overnight.

tjmcb73
03-30-2012, 06:10 AM
12 oz weightliftin'!!!