PDA

View Full Version : Rick Santorum does not want you to go to college.

pghin08
02-28-2012, 09:26 AM
http://articles.businessinsider.com/2012-02-27/politics/31103234_1_college-courses-college-campuses-rick-santorum

It just astounds me that this man is not only running for POTUS, but that he actually gets support! People get sent to college to get Obama-fied? Hey guess what, Rick? I went to the same college as your wife! Did she become a staunch liberal there? What about you, did you get liberally indoctrinated when you were at Penn State and Pitt? If the current you is a more liberal variation of your former self, then God save us all.

Watching Republicans wed themselves to Rick Santorum is like watching your best friend marry an ugly, lazy slob who does nothing but make your friend feel bad about himself. Come on Republicans, I KNOW you can do better than him!

mrveggieman
02-28-2012, 09:32 AM
http://articles.businessinsider.com/2012-02-27/politics/31103234_1_college-courses-college-campuses-rick-santorum

It just astounds me that this man is not only running for POTUS, but that he actually gets support! People get sent to college to get Obama-fied? Hey guess what, Rick? I went to the same college as your wife! Did she become a staunch liberal there? What about you, did you get liberally indoctrinated when you were at Penn State and Pitt? If the current you is a more liberal variation of your former self, then God save us all.

Watching Republicans wed themselves to Rick Santorum is like watching your best friend marry an ugly, lazy slob who does nothing but make your friend feel bad about himself. Come on Republicans, I KNOW you can do better than him!

I wouldn't put anything past the republicans. If they voted for two terms of gwb they will vote for anybody.

AUTaxMan
02-28-2012, 09:52 AM

If you don't think 99% of universities are filled with liberal professors who try their hardest to shape the minds of their students into thinking like they do, then you are sadly mistaken.

gladdyontherise
02-28-2012, 10:01 AM
If you don't think 99% of universities are filled with liberal professors who try their hardest to shape the minds of their students into thinking like they do, then you are sadly mistaken.

I don't think that, because it's so far from the truth.

AUTaxMan
02-28-2012, 10:03 AM
I don't think that, because it's so far from the truth.

No it isn't.

pghin08
02-28-2012, 10:07 AM

If memory serves me correct, you are a lawyer. I can then only assume then, that you attended college, or somehow a la Frank Abagnale, you just took the bar exam for kicks, and passed it. Did you feel as if you were liberally indoctrinated?

I went to a Catholic university (shocking, I know), and I can speak from experience that they did not attempt to change my religious, social or political viewpoints, subliminally or blatantly. Heck, probably 70% of my professors were socially conservative, Catholic Republicans! My girlfriend went to the University of Pittsburgh (like Santorum), and even she said the same thing as I, that more of her professors had Republican viewpoints than liberal.

The thought that Obama wants people to go to college so they can become like him is ridiculous on so many levels, namely:

1. College existed LONG before Barack Obama did, so I find it hard to believe that the goal of universities is to create little Obama clones.

2. It's been proven that those who go to college tend to be more successful and wealthier. Like most of us, I'm sure getting a good job, making money and developing a successful career was one of the reasons you went to college, right? Isn't part of the Republican mantra to take it upon yourself to become a success in this country?

3. What Santorum is attributing to Obama is wrong anyways. Santorum is acting like Obama wants everybody to go to a typical 4 year university, which isn't the case. Obama said he'd like everybody to get some sort of education beyond high school, whether it be vocational, an apprenticeship, or whatever.

The things that come out of this guy's mouth just baffle me. Really and truly baffle me.

mrveggieman
02-28-2012, 10:09 AM
If memory serves me correct, you are a lawyer. I can then only assume then, that you attended college, or somehow a la Frank Abagnale, you just took the bar exam for kicks, and passed it. Did you feel as if you were liberally indoctrinated?

I went to a Catholic university (shocking, I know), and I can speak from experience that they did not attempt to change my religious, social or political viewpoints, subliminally or blatantly. Heck, probably 70% of my professors were socially conservative, Catholic Republicans! My girlfriend went to the University of Pittsburgh (like Santorum), and even she said the same thing as I, that more of her professors had Republican viewpoints than liberal.

The thought that Obama wants people to go to college so they can become like him is ridiculous on so many levels, namely:

1. College existed LONG before Barack Obama did, so I find it hard to believe that the goal of universities is to create little Obama clones.

2. It's been proven that those who go to college tend to be more successful and wealthier. Like most of us, I'm sure getting a good job, making money and developing a successful career was one of the reasons you went to college, right? Isn't part of the Republican mantra to take it upon yourself to become a success in this country?

3. What Santorum is attributing to Obama is wrong anyways. Santorum is acting like Obama wants everybody to go to a typical 4 year university, which isn't the case. Obama said he'd like everybody to get some sort of education beyond high school, whether it be vocational, an apprenticeship, or whatever.

The things that come out of this guy's mouth just baffle me. Really and truly baffle me.

Santorum is a complete idiot and obviously didn't learn anything while he as in college. Why are we wasting our time discussing this clown?

duane1969
02-28-2012, 10:10 AM
I went to college too. My professors were almost entirely liberals. I was publicly berated in front of the class on several occasions by my professors for my conseravtive views. I tried to do a class assignment on the pointlessness of an assault weapons ban and was told that it was inappropriate content, yet in the same class a student was permitted to do a presentation on the value of curse words in language and curse throughout the entire presentation.

The idea that colleges and universities are full of people who do not try to indoctrinate and impact the young minds before them is way off base. I have seen it first hand.

I also disagree with Obama's idea that everyone should go to college. That is a pipe dream that is just to buy votes. The simple reality is:
A) 75% of high school students lack the ability/drive to succeed in a college setting. Of the 25% that have the desire and drive another 30% or 40% will drop out after one year.
B) If everyone has a 4-year degree then what? 4-year degrees become nothing more than the equivalent of a high school diploma and you can only get a good job with a Master's or higher.

AUTaxMan
02-28-2012, 10:10 AM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A8427-2005Mar28.html

pghin08
02-28-2012, 10:27 AM
I went to college too. My professors were almost entirely liberals. I was publicly berated in front of the class on several occasions by my professors for my conseravtive views. I tried to do a class assignment on the pointlessness of an assault weapons ban and was told that it was inappropriate content, yet in the same class a student was permitted to do a presentation on the value of curse words in language and curse throughout the entire presentation.

The idea that colleges and universities are full of people who do not try to indoctrinate and impact the young minds before them is way off base. I have seen it first hand.

I also disagree with Obama's idea that everyone should go to college. That is a pipe dream that is just to buy votes. The simple reality is:
A) 75% of high school students lack the ability/drive to succeed in a college setting. Of the 25% that have the desire and drive another 30% or 40% will drop out after one year.
B) If everyone has a 4-year degree then what? 4-year degrees become nothing more than the equivalent of a high school diploma and you can only get a good job with a Master's or higher.

What kind of school did you go to where you were publicly berated? That's ridiculous.

Obama isn't saying that everyone should go to a traditional four-year university, he's just encouraging people to better themselves after high school, whether that means Harvard or trade school. And yes, you're right, it's a ploy to buy votes (everything is!).

If Rick Santorum REALLY thought college amounted to nothing more than a liberal internment camp (which he seems to think now), why did he go?

ensbergcollector
02-28-2012, 10:33 AM
i lived in austin texas for a number of years. i can't speak for all colleges but UT was known for it's liberal professors very purposefully trying to indoctrinate the students.

pghin08
02-28-2012, 10:42 AM
i lived in austin texas for a number of years. i can't speak for all colleges but UT was known for it's liberal professors very purposefully trying to indoctrinate the students.

How could that ever be proven? As if professors hypnotize students while standing at the front of the class reading the Communist Manifesto?

This is all a part of conservative victimization. PARTICULARLY religious conservatives. Liberals aren't out to abolish religion and conservative thought! Has anyone ever MET a liberal? We're not exactly the most domineering people! :sign0020:

duane1969
02-28-2012, 10:51 AM
What kind of school did you go to where you were publicly berated? That's ridiculous.

Obama isn't saying that everyone should go to a traditional four-year university, he's just encouraging people to better themselves after high school, whether that means Harvard or trade school. And yes, you're right, it's a ploy to buy votes (everything is!).

If Rick Santorum REALLY thought college amounted to nothing more than a liberal internment camp (which he seems to think now), why did he go?

I went to Bluefield State College. And I got one teacher "booted". She was a 1st year professor on probation. She never made it to year 2. She was sending me emails telling me that I should drop her class because I would never pass it.

I agree that Obama is saying that everyone should have the access to their dreams, but that isn't the way he words it. But like I said, that is pandering for votes.

Santorum went to college for one reason. Nobody votes for someone who just went to high school. Politics is an elitist career. Our founding fathers were farmers, printers and small business owners. Now they are born with a silver spoon in their mouth, groomed from birth and buy their votes. If a farmer or small business owner ran for POTUS now he wouldn't even be considered much less a legitimate candidate.

cbuskstwar
02-28-2012, 10:54 AM
1 year @ Cal Berk, the same liberalism by all profs I had, my conservative views were bashed.

mrveggieman
02-28-2012, 10:58 AM
1 year @ Cal Berk, the same liberalism by all profs I had, my conservative views were bashed.

Some colleges are more liberal than others. You can always chose one of the more conservative colleges such as BYU or Liberty Univ.

DunkingDurant35
02-28-2012, 11:06 AM

This is already the reality for us in the twentysomething age bracket; in fact, it is why I am getting my Master's. I need a good job in particular because I have an expensive, currently incurable health condition - I'd be content to stock shelves at Walmart, but the medical benefits wouldn't cut it.

AUTaxMan
02-28-2012, 11:06 AM

Yes, both in undergrad and in law school, particularly in any classes involving constitutional law.

mrveggieman
02-28-2012, 11:08 AM
Yes, both in undergrad and in law school, particularly in any classes involving constitutional law.

If you don't mind us asking where did you go to college at?

marekschwarz33
02-28-2012, 11:12 AM
I am currently attending Truman State University here in Missouri and in my experiences so far, I've found that the majority of the professors lean towards the liberal side. Most of the students seem to be either Republican or Democrat...I feel alone as a Libertarian! As far as Santorum, the guy is just insane. Having your beliefs challenged actually makes your arguments stronger in the end.

AUTaxMan
02-28-2012, 11:19 AM

The point he is making is that the government for years has been trying to sell us the idea that you MUST get a college degree in order to be a success in life. At the same time, the government subsidizes the universities by giving a student loan to anyone with a pulse, the schools jack up tuition at twice the rate of inflation, they fill their chairs with liberal idealists, and they teach their students practically nothing that can be used to actually get a job in the real world. Now, there will always be the motivated cream of the crop that will excel in school and move on to great things. However, what has the average college grad gained by attending a university other than a piece of paper that is devaluing by the second, a load of indebtedness, and a bunch of new friends?

AUTaxMan
02-28-2012, 11:20 AM
If you don't mind us asking where did you go to college at?

Samford University for undergrad, Alabama for law, and Northwestern for my LLM.

mrveggieman
02-28-2012, 11:22 AM
Samford University for undergrad, Alabama for law, and Northwestern for my LLM.

I have a close friend who lives in Alabama and tells me that Alabama is one of the most racist close minded schools there is. If you think that they are liberal I would hate to see what you would think about Cal-Berkley. :sign0020:

AUTaxMan
02-28-2012, 11:28 AM
I have a close friend who lives in Alabama and tells me that Alabama is one of the most racist close minded schools there is. If you think that they are liberal I would hate to see what you would think about Cal-Berkley. :sign0020:

Again, turning a discussion into a race issue.

pghin08
02-28-2012, 11:32 AM
The point he is making is that the government for years has been trying to sell us the idea that you MUST get a college degree in order to be a success in life. At the same time, the government subsidizes the universities by giving a student loan to anyone with a pulse, they jack up tuition at twice the rate of inflation, they fill their chairs with liberal idealists, and they teach their students practically nothing that can be used to actually get a job in the real world. Now, there will always be the motivated cream of the crop that will excel in school and move on to great things. However, what has the average college grad gained by attending a university other than a piece of paper that is devaluing by the second, a load of indebtedness, and a bunch of new friends?

On some points, I agree with you. You can't argue that the cost of higher education has risen far beyond inflation. And I very much believe that a four-year university education is NOT for everyone.

However, I disagree with you on what college provides. According to January 2012 numbers from the BLS, the unemployment rate is TWICE as high among high school graduates than those with a Bachelor's degree or more.

duane1969
02-28-2012, 12:02 PM
On some points, I agree with you. You can't argue that the cost of higher education has risen far beyond inflation. And I very much believe that a four-year university education is NOT for everyone.

However, I disagree with you on what college provides. According to January 2012 numbers from the BLS, the unemployment rate is TWICE as high among high school graduates than those with a Bachelor's degree or more.

I would be interested to see how many college grads are employed in a field that is relevant to their degree. IMO that would be the telling stat.

pghin08
02-28-2012, 12:15 PM
I would be interested to see how many college grads are employed in a field that is relevant to their degree. IMO that would be the telling stat.

Why? I'm not employed in my degreed field (partially by choice), but I still feel as if my college education helped prepare me for the job I'm doing.

Edit: Is "degreed" a word? Whatever, I'm going with it.

duane1969
02-28-2012, 12:34 PM
Why? I'm not employed in my degreed field (partially by choice), but I still feel as if my college education helped prepare me for the job I'm doing.

Edit: Is "degreed" a word? Whatever, I'm going with it.

It speaks to the true education that is being gotten. If you have a degree but can't get a job in your field of education then it could be construed that your education was not what it was intended to be or what you expected it to be.

Degreed is not a word but it works LOL

Interestingly, MSNBC has an article right now about employers complaining that there are less students coming out with a vocational background.

http://bottomline.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/02/28/10498304-some-employers-want-return-of-vo-ed-training

mrveggieman
02-28-2012, 12:39 PM
Again, turning a discussion into a race issue.

Not a race issue but it is a know fact that conservative people are generally less accepting of minorities as well as people with different viewpoints and backrounds.

pghin08
02-28-2012, 12:41 PM
It speaks to the true education that is being gotten. If you have a degree but can't get a job in your field of education then it could be construed that your education was not what it was intended to be or what you expected it to be.

Degreed is not a word but it works LOL

Interestingly, MSNBC has an article right now about employers complaining that there are less students coming out with a vocational background.

http://bottomline.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/02/28/10498304-some-employers-want-return-of-vo-ed-training

Or it implies the distinct possibility that 18 year olds have NO clue what they want to do with their lives. I'm sure that those who go to college later in life end up with jobs in their field at a far higher rate, because they've been around the block enough to know what they really want to do.

AUTaxMan
02-28-2012, 12:49 PM
Not a race issue but it is a know fact that conservative people are generally less accepting of minorities as well as people with different viewpoints and backrounds.

What are you talking about? Does this have anything to do with the topic at hand? :confused0024:

mugatu471
02-28-2012, 01:03 PM
I currently go to Michigan State and I really don't see the whole liberal professors trying to convince people they're wrong because they're conservative or anything like that. Unless you have a law class, of which I had one which all undergrads had to take, I've never had politics come up once in a classroom. Now, I'm an accounting major so there may not really be a lot of room for it to come up. The one law class I had was a writing course and the professor blatantly said he was a huge liberal. As soon as he said that, I wrote all of my papers with a liberal bias to get myself a nice grade. Others who tried to buck the trend ended up not doing as well. Oh well.

mrveggieman
02-28-2012, 01:03 PM
What are you talking about? Does this have anything to do with the topic at hand? :confused0024:

You keep following me around on different threads accusing me of playing the race card. I am pointing out the fallacy of the conservative way of thinking.

AUTaxMan
02-28-2012, 01:09 PM
You keep following me around on different threads accusing me of playing the race card. I am pointing out the fallacy of the conservative way of thinking.

What does your friend's opinion that Alabama is a close-minded, racist school have to do with (a) Rick Santorum's statements about higher education or (b) "the fallacy of the conservative way of thinking"?

ensbergcollector
02-28-2012, 01:22 PM
How could that ever be proven? As if professors hypnotize students while standing at the front of the class reading the Communist Manifesto?

This is all a part of conservative victimization. PARTICULARLY religious conservatives. Liberals aren't out to abolish religion and conservative thought! Has anyone ever MET a liberal? We're not exactly the most domineering people! :sign0020:

if that is how you really feel then i will opt out of this thread. if you don't think it is even possible for liberal professors to try and indoctrinate students then we will have to agree to disagree.

mrveggieman
02-28-2012, 01:41 PM
What does your friend's opinion that Alabama is a close-minded, racist school have to do with (a) Rick Santorum's statements about higher education or (b) "the fallacy of the conservative way of thinking"?

You mentioned that you do not prefer liberal leaning professors on this higher education thread. I asked you where you went to school at. You mentioned that one of the colleges you attended was Bama. I was surprised that you thought that the were liberal knowing their reputation. Rick Santorum is an idiot who dosen't know anything about higher education. I know that my Santorum remark dosen't have to do with you and your schooling but I just wanted to put it out there. :sign0020:

pghin08
02-28-2012, 01:46 PM
if that is how you really feel then i will opt out of this thread. if you don't think it is even possible for liberal professors to try and indoctrinate students then we will have to agree to disagree.

It's not that I don't think it's possible. I just don't think it's likely. Through my own experience (and I was a poli-sci student, so I was right in the thick of it), I never had that problem. I had my beliefs challenged, which is a good thing, and totally separate from being indoctrinated. The numbers do show that academics tend to be more liberal, I'm not denying that. However, and I know this isn't the greatest source in the world, but let me guide you to a chart on the far right hand side of the Democratic party Wikipedia page under the subtitle of "Academics". It shows that from 1950-2004, there have been a larger number of college graduates that identify themselves as Republicans than those who identify themselves as Democrats.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democratic_Party_(United_States)

So if these professors are trying to indoctrinate the student body, they're doing a pretty crappy job.

gladdyontherise
02-28-2012, 01:49 PM
I currently go to Michigan State and I really don't see the whole liberal professors trying to convince people they're wrong because they're conservative or anything like that. Unless you have a law class, of which I had one which all undergrads had to take, I've never had politics come up once in a classroom. Now, I'm an accounting major so there may not really be a lot of room for it to come up. The one law class I had was a writing course and the professor blatantly said he was a huge liberal. As soon as he said that, I wrote all of my papers with a liberal bias to get myself a nice grade. Others who tried to buck the trend ended up not doing as well. Oh well.

To be fair, not every school can be as wonderful as Michigan State :):

AUTaxMan
02-28-2012, 01:52 PM
You mentioned that you do not prefer liberal leaning professors on this higher education thread. I asked you where you went to school at. You mentioned that one of the colleges you attended was Bama. I was surprised that you thought that the were liberal knowing their reputation. Rick Santorum is an idiot who dosen't know anything about higher education. I know that my Santorum remark dosen't have to do with you and your schooling but I just wanted to put it out there. :sign0020:

That "idiot" has an MBA and a JD. The sad thing is that though his arguments hold logical merit, your only retort is "he's an idiot...lol!"

Seriously, did you ever read the CPAC speech transcript that I posted specifically for you? I never got your thoughts on his speech.

AUTaxMan
02-28-2012, 01:57 PM
It's not that I don't think it's possible. I just don't think it's likely. Through my own experience (and I was a poli-sci student, so I was right in the thick of it), I never had that problem. I had my beliefs challenged, which is a good thing, and totally separate from being indoctrinated. The numbers do show that academics tend to be more liberal, I'm not denying that. However, and I know this isn't the greatest source in the world, but let me guide you to a chart on the far right hand side of the Democratic party Wikipedia page under the subtitle of "Academics". It shows that from 1950-2004, there have been a larger number of college graduates that identify themselves as Republicans than those who identify themselves as Democrats.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democratic_Party_(United_States)

So if these professors are trying to indoctrinate the student body, they're doing a pretty crappy job.

Apparently, they're getting better at it:

"Those with graduate education, have become increasingly Democratic beginning in the 1992,[29] 1996,[29] 2000,[15] 2004,[16] and 2008[30] elections."

Also, age and experience has a lot to do with political leaning. Once the young liberal morons graduate from college and have to live in the real world for a few years, they become more conservative. It doesn't change the fact that most people come out of school more liberal than when they arrived.

mrveggieman
02-28-2012, 01:58 PM
That "idiot" has an MBA and a JD. The sad thing is that though his arguments hold logical merit, your only retort is "he's an idiot...lol!"

Seriously, did you ever read the CPAC speech transcript that I posted specifically for you? I never got your thoughts on his speech.

Whoever granted a degree to that moron needs to lose their accreditation. Does Santorum really believe the idiotic stuff that he says or does he only do it for shock value? Also which discussion did you post the transcript in. I'm sorry that I didn't get a chance to look at it but I would like to see what he said.

AUTaxMan
02-28-2012, 02:04 PM
Whoever granted a degree to that moron needs to lose their accreditation. Does Santorum really believe the idiotic stuff that he says or does he only do it for shock value? Also which discussion did you post the transcript in. I'm sorry that I didn't get a chance to look at it but I would like to see what he said.

http://www.sportscardforum.com/showthread.php?p=11084555#post11084555

Will probably take 10 minutes to read.

pghin08
02-28-2012, 02:07 PM
Apparently, they're getting better at it:

"Those with graduate education, have become increasingly Democratic beginning in the 1992,[29] 1996,[29] 2000,[15] 2004,[16] and 2008[30] elections."

Also, age and experience has a lot to do with political leaning. Once the young liberal morons graduate from college and have to live in the real world for a few years, they become more conservative. It doesn't change the fact that most people come out of school more liberal than when they arrived.

Would love to see proof of this "fact". And I would prefer something that didn't come from the Intercollegiate Studies Institute, which I hope we could all admit is conservative-leaning (pretty sure it was founded by Bill Buckley).

And hey, I may be young and liberal, but I would hope you don't think I'm a moron :(:

jdawg
02-28-2012, 02:14 PM
I wouldn't put anything past the republicans. If they voted for two terms of gwb they will vote for anybody.

id rather have 10 more years of bush then 1 more of obama...bowing to the queen and other foriegn leaders...give me a break your supposed to be the most powerful man in the world act like it...atleast with bush i could lay my head on the pillow and know when i woke up if someone attacked us he was already invading them lol...obama wouldnt attack..he would try and talk and possibly bow..guys a joke :pound:

mrveggieman
02-28-2012, 02:17 PM
id rather have 10 more years of bush then 1 more of obama:pound:

Imagine how many more wars would we have let alone no end in site to Iraq and Afganistan. SMH.

pghin08
02-28-2012, 02:35 PM
id rather have 10 more years of bush then 1 more of obama...bowing to the queen and other foriegn leaders...give me a break your supposed to be the most powerful man in the world act like it...atleast with bush i could lay my head on the pillow and know when i woke up if someone attacked us he was already invading them lol...obama wouldnt attack..he would try and talk and possibly bow..guys a joke :pound:

Diplomacy isn't bad. By the way, you may want to talk to an al-Qaeda member if you want to question Mr. O's ability to carry a big stick.

habsheaven
02-28-2012, 04:55 PM

Imagine that, your leader showing RESPECT for another foreign leader. The horror of it all! I should also bring you up to speed on the events of 9/11. Al Queda attacked America, Bush invaded Iraq. You would have had to have a Rip van Winkle length sleep before Bush got around to invading who attacked America.

mugatu471
02-28-2012, 07:31 PM
To be fair, not every school can be as wonderful as Michigan State :):

Very, very true.

duwal
02-28-2012, 08:36 PM

maybe he is saying that the reason that majority of college's professors are more liberal is because colleges think they are safer in hiring those teachers that are more of an accepting mind or that do not have prejudices towards some possible students. That's what I got out of his connection to the thread but could be wrong on his thoughts too

duwal
02-28-2012, 08:45 PM

yeah and we all saw what a great idea THAT war was :whistle: And as Japanese Admiral Yamamoto said, after he was called a brilliant man for his strategic plan on Pearl Harbor, a brilliant man would have found a way not to fight a war

mrveggieman
02-29-2012, 08:17 AM
maybe he is saying that the reason that majority of college's professors are more liberal is because colleges think they are safer in hiring those teachers that are more of an accepting mind or that do not have prejudices towards some possible students. That's what i got out of his connection to the thread but could be wrong on his thoughts too

+1