PDA

View Full Version : Gasoline prices are getting out of hand....

steelers#1fan
03-02-2012, 02:47 PM
so here's what we should do. I say we raise the price of grain we're sending over there to match the price of crude they're selling us! Let's see how much a barrel of crude will cost us then!

duwal
03-02-2012, 04:30 PM
I wouldn't exactly say its 'getting out of hand' I mean people are paying what? An extra .50 a gallon than what it was two months ago? Just seems strange to hear something like from people on here who spend hundreds, even thousands of dollars on trading cards then feel completely outraged when gas prices are raised some

steelers#1fan
03-02-2012, 04:36 PM
LOL... that's funny.

duwal
03-02-2012, 04:45 PM
I mean I understand how some people don't like that gas prices are going up but they could just easily counter the change with doing something different, very slightly minuscule. I have other attorneys at my law firm that come in grumbling that they had to pay $4.23 a gallon to fill up. Yet each day they go out of their way and use up some of that gas to go to Starbucks and pay $7 for a cup of coffee..... whaaaa??

BigBerserker
03-02-2012, 05:23 PM
I wouldn't exactly say its 'getting out of hand' I mean people are paying what? An extra .50 a gallon than what it was two months ago? Just seems strange to hear something like from people on here who spend hundreds, even thousands of dollars on trading cards then feel completely outraged when gas prices are raised some

I suppose its because I/we don't spend $70+ a week on cards as I do to fill up my pickup. Also, when I buy gas, I am (as everyone else is) literally burning away my money into the atmosphere. At least when I do spend money on cards, I am investing into something tangible with the potential to increase in value over many years. What I should do is sell my pickup to buy something more practical since I do not work construction or tow but then again why should I have to sell my dream vehicle because gas has gone up in price? You are correct, .50 cents is almost nothing, but multiply that by a 22 gallon gas tank times 4 weeks in a month times 12 months in a year. That's an extra $528 dollar expense I have to shell out per year; it adds up quick.

I do agree with you completely about making small changes or adjustments to our lifestyles. Still, gas is out of our control and yet it affects everyone.

steelers#1fan
03-02-2012, 05:33 PM
duwal- Just asking here, so you're ok with the gas prices going up? I'm just glad you're not feeling the pinch. I agree that there are things/habits we can change, like maybe not buy fast food that one time a week, or buying generic instead of brand name goods, etc., etc. The list goes on and on! But that doesn't answer the question as to why the gas prices keep climbing and expected to reach $5 soon. It's a shame we have to change our habits so the rich oil countries can get richer while we have to tighten our belts. That's why I say we should impose a tougher export stance to counter the ridiculous crude prices.

AUTaxMan
03-02-2012, 05:37 PM
I mean I understand how some people don't like that gas prices are going up but they could just easily counter the change with doing something different, very slightly minuscule. I have other attorneys at my law firm that come in grumbling that they had to pay $4.23 a gallon to fill up. Yet each day they go out of their way and use up some of that gas to go to Starbucks and pay $7 for a cup of coffee..... whaaaa??

It's important because, not only does it directly hit our bottom lines, it also affects the price of everything else we buy...food, clothing, etc. The fact that prices are at record levels when demand is low is definitely something that I would categorize as "getting out of hand." Remember when Nancy Pelosi was ripping Bush for $3.49 gas?

theonedru
03-02-2012, 05:38 PM
duwal- Just asking here, so you're ok with the gas prices going up? I'm just glad you're not feeling the pinch. I agree that there are things/habits we can change, like maybe not buy fast food that one time a week, or buying generic instead of brand name goods, etc., etc. The list goes on and on! But that doesn't answer the question as to why the gas prices keep climbing and expected to reach $5 soon. It's a shame we have to change our habits so the rich oil countries can get richer while we have to tighten our belts. That's why I say we should impose a tougher export stance to counter the ridiculous crude prices.

They keep raising because because people are stupid enough to continue to pay it, sure they gripe and complain but they actually do anything about it..

AUTaxMan
03-02-2012, 05:39 PM

Oil prices are climbing chiefly because of the turmoil in the middle east. American oil companies have almost no control over oil prices. They aren't getting richer because the price of gasoline is rising.

AUTaxMan
03-02-2012, 05:40 PM
They keep raising because because people are stupid enough to continue to pay it, sure they gripe and complain but they actually do anything about it..

No.

shrewsbury
03-02-2012, 05:47 PM
[QUOTE]Oil prices are climbing chiefly because of the turmoil in the middle east. American oil companies have almost no control over oil prices. They aren't getting richer because the price of gasoline is rising.[QUOTE]

you are exactly right! high gas prices come from oil prices which produces way more than gas, even plastic is going up!!

i agree about buying coffee, we have bought our own to go cups and make our coffee at home. we bought a hybrid so when the weather isn't bad my wife drives it for work, and we save over $300 a month over driving our famliy vehicle, a honda pilot. you can save money in all kinds of ways, but you never really get to save it, because every dang thing is going up, except the value of our home!!!!

i don't have much hope obama can turn anything around, but i am not sure anyone can, except time.

AUTaxMan
03-02-2012, 05:51 PM
i don't have much hope obama can turn anything around, but i am not sure anyone can, except time.

A republican president and congress could turn things around. Democrats will just keep spending. It really is that simple.

Abenaki Blood
03-02-2012, 05:52 PM
He must have stock on oil? Does he not understand gas increase increases tr price of food and items at the retail store? He isn't seeing the big picture.

shrewsbury
03-02-2012, 05:55 PM
A republican president and congress could turn things around.

this is what i keep telling myself and for now is all i have to hope for

gladdyontherise
03-02-2012, 09:12 PM

So I'm stupid for paying for gas to get to school or get to work? :rolleyes:

Your constant generalizations are just so far from the truth.

Abenaki Blood
03-02-2012, 09:23 PM
so i'm stupid for paying for gas to get to school or get to work? :rolleyes:

+1

theonedru
03-02-2012, 09:32 PM
Something negative happens and people bicker and complain but in the end choose to do nothing about it. You can either accept it and stay quiet or if your going to complain become active in the movement against it. Its that simple.

justinhixson
03-02-2012, 09:35 PM
So I'm stupid for paying for gas to get to school or get to work? :rolleyes:

Stop going to school, it's that simple. :sign0020:

gladdyontherise
03-02-2012, 10:10 PM
Something negative happens and people bicker and complain but in the end choose to do nothing about it. You can either accept it and stay quiet or if your going to complain become active in the movement against it. Its that simple.

Please, share with all of us what we can do then..You seem to have all the solutions, but never share.

Star_Cards
03-02-2012, 10:26 PM
Please, share with all of us what we can do then..You seem to have all the solutions, but never share.

not to speak for him but there are things an individual can do about curbing their usage of petroleum based products. as far as strictly gasoline most people can make choices that reduce their usage even if they are still using it for important things like school or work and such. Myself I would love to pay less for fuel, but I do drive a vehicle that gets 20 miles per gallon so it would be rather ridiculous of me to complain when I could get a car that doubled that rating. If it got to the point where it was way high then I'd have to make the decision of getting a new car or not. At this point I'm not close to a price per gallon that would cause me to do that.

gladdyontherise
03-02-2012, 10:32 PM
not to speak for him but there are things an individual can do about curbing their usage of petroleum based products. as far as strictly gasoline most people can make choices that reduce their usage even if they are still using it for important things like school or work and such. Myself I would love to pay less for fuel, but I do drive a vehicle that gets 20 miles per gallon so it would be rather ridiculous of me to complain when I could get a car that doubled that rating. If it got to the point where it was way high then I'd have to make the decision of getting a new car or not. At this point I'm not close to a price per gallon that would cause me to do that.

I do such things to limit the use of mycar, but still. Not everyone has this high paying job where money isn't an issue (Not saying this is the case for you, as I wouldn't know). All the other poster did was essentially call us all stupid for trying to go to school, work etc and it's tiring to always see the same thing being posted and making irrational assumptions.

*censored*
03-02-2012, 11:17 PM
Ask Europe for some sympathy on gas prices. Go ahead. Try it.

theonedru
03-03-2012, 12:36 AM
I do such things to limit the use of mycar, but still. Not everyone has this high paying job where money isn't an issue (Not saying this is the case for you, as I wouldn't know). All the other poster did was essentially call us all stupid for trying to go to school, work etc and it's tiring to always see the same thing being posted and making irrational assumptions.

Its not an irrational assumption its fact that if someone does not like paying a higher price then do some research into how you can help enact change or lessen the burden. For instance

Get a vehicle with better gas mileage, even better for those who can afford it by a hybrid.

Use alternative forms of transportation whenever you can, ride a bike, take a walk, scooters are great fun and great mileage, ect

start to hound the government to release some of their reserves like they should be doing.

Does anyone remember the days when you were wronged or felt an injustice you raised hellfire and brimstone to right it. Now a days we just cower, afraid to say anything and let the powers that be walk all over us.

steelers#1fan
03-03-2012, 07:26 AM
I wouldn't call it afraid to do anything about it, I would call it a waste of time. Our government leaders use to worry about the people, now all they care about is our money.

Its not an irrational assumption its fact that if someone does not like paying a higher price then do some research into how you can help enact change or lessen the burden. For instance

Get a vehicle with better gas mileage, even better for those who can afford it by a hybrid.

Use alternative forms of transportation whenever you can, ride a bike, take a walk, scooters are great fun and great mileage, ect

start to hound the government to release some of their reserves like they should be doing.

Does anyone remember the days when you were wronged or felt an injustice you raised hellfire and brimstone to right it. Now a days we just cower, afraid to say anything and let the powers that be walk all over us.

gladdyontherise
03-03-2012, 08:53 AM

If people had enough money to buy a car, they probably wouldn't be complaining about gas prices...

Also, believe it or not, but not everyone lives in places were you can walk everywhere or ride a bike. Especially in the winter.

Last, the government doesn't listen to us, that should be clear by now. I'm sure you do everything you list all the time...I wish I was that perfect.

theonedru
03-03-2012, 09:30 AM
If people had enough money to buy a car, they probably wouldn't be complaining about gas prices...

Also, believe it or not, but not everyone lives in places were you can walk everywhere or ride a bike. Especially in the winter.

Last, the government doesn't listen to us, that should be clear by now. I'm sure you do everything you list all the time...I wish I was that perfect.

I am very active in many causes and support many more. I am also not afraid to go after those that do things to miff me. I am not one of the majority who are to meek to speak up when wronged.

pr0phet
03-03-2012, 09:49 AM
A republican president and congress could turn things around. Democrats will just keep spending. It really is that simple.

I'm sorry but this couldn't be further from the truth. You said it yourself AUTaxMan. Oil prices are rising based on the turmoil in the middle east. The fact of the matter is the Strait of Hormuz(sp?) is where all the SPECULATION comes from. That is the underlying cause of our gas prices, speculation. People speculate that if the Strait were to close, oil supplies would come into a serious supply issue. How does a government reducing spending help cure the speculation bug that causes these unnecessary spikes in gas prices.

While I don't know this for sure about this, the one article I read said that there are oil fields getting shut down because of the lack of demand. They won't keep things open if people are not driving.

As far as clever ideas, the price of grain is a good start. But keeping the oil we generate in the country would prove just as effective.

steelers#1fan
03-03-2012, 10:14 AM
This is true.
I'm sorry but this couldn't be further from the truth. You said it yourself AUTaxMan. Oil prices are rising based on the turmoil in the middle east. The fact of the matter is the Strait of Hormuz(sp?) is where all the SPECULATION comes from. That is the underlying cause of our gas prices, speculation. People speculate that if the Strait were to close, oil supplies would come into a serious supply issue. How does a government reducing spending help cure the speculation bug that causes these unnecessary spikes in gas prices.

While I don't know this for sure about this, the one article I read said that there are oil fields getting shut down because of the lack of demand. They won't keep things open if people are not driving.

As far as clever ideas, the price of grain is a good start. But keeping the oil we generate in the country would prove just as effective.

duane1969
03-03-2012, 12:31 PM
so here's what we should do. I say we raise the price of grain we're sending over there to match the price of crude they're selling us! Let's see how much a barrel of crude will cost us then!

I say this all the time but the liberal element in America will not allow it because they see it as unfair to limit food in exchange for oil. It's not "humanitarian" enough.

The irony of it all is that if America controlled the oil and the Middle East controlled the food they would not hesitate to starve us for more oil.

I fund my card purchases with other things. For example, I sold many of my older cards to generate money to buy memorabilia. I sold some old silver coins to buy some cards. In essence, I traded having one thing to get another. I can not do that for gas and even if I could, unike how I fund my collecting habts I would have nothing to show for my efforts after I used the gas.

I drive my car for one purpose, getting to and from work. It sits unused all weekend. Yet I still spend $57 every week to fill it up. I don't see how I can be more frugal than that.

Oil prices are climbing chiefly because of the turmoil in the middle east. American oil companies have almost no control over oil prices. They aren't getting richer because the price of gasoline is rising.

I would agree with you if oil companies were not reporting record quarterly profits.

In 2009 ExxonMobile reported a record profit of $45 billion. Their profit for 2011 was just slightly behind that record at $41 billion. In my opinion, any company that has profits of over $3.4 billion a month is getting rich, very rich.

Look at it this way. ExxonMobile could cut pump prices by 50% and still have profits pf over $1 billion a month.

tutall
03-03-2012, 01:22 PM
In 2009 ExxonMobile reported a record profit of $45 billion. Their profit for 2011 was just slightly behind that record at $41 billion. In my opinion, any company that has profits of over $3.4 billion a month is getting rich, very rich.

Look at it this way. ExxonMobile could cut pump prices by 50% and still have profits pf over $1 billion a month.

As crazy as it sounds think about it for a second... A company that caters to the entire world made 45 billion in profit last year... Meaning if there were 2 billion vehicles in the world (which i have no idea what this number is) they made an average of 22.50 per vehicle in an entire year.... 2 dollars per months... I would guess considering how much money the average person spends on gas that margin is much lower than a lot of businesses...

Your last sentance is way wrong too as you are calculating profit not cash flow and income... If my computer want running so slow I would look up net income and I bet you would be amazed how little the profit is compared to the total taken in

duane1969
03-03-2012, 01:50 PM
As crazy as it sounds think about it for a second... A company that caters to the entire world made 45 billion in profit last year... Meaning if there were 2 billion vehicles in the world (which i have no idea what this number is) they made an average of 22.50 per vehicle in an entire year.... 2 dollars per months... I would guess considering how much money the average person spends on gas that margin is much lower than a lot of businesses...

Your last sentance is way wrong too as you are calculating profit not cash flow and income... If my computer want running so slow I would look up net income and I bet you would be amazed how little the profit is compared to the total taken in

Yeah when I posted the last sentence I was dealing with a headache, it didn't sound right ot me either at the time. Nonetheless, they could easily cut gas prices by .20-.40 cents per gallon with barely a blip in their profit margin.

In 2001 and 2002 I worked for a petroleum marketing company. That experience gave me a prety decent insight into what gas companies are making. The end user sales (gas stations) make around .06-.12 cents per gallon. That is the reason true gas stations are gone and now it is all convenience stores. Their real profit lies in making 25-75% profit on tobacco, candy, soda and beer. If they had to make it on gas profits alone they would quickly go bankrupt.

As a regional distributor providing gas stations and truck stops with gasoline and deisel our company was profitting maybe $500k a year and a big chunk of our profit came from delivery fees. It isn't too complicated to figure out where the big profits are going.

AUTaxMan
03-03-2012, 02:05 PM

I wasn't referring to oil prices. I was referring to the fate of our country in general, which is what I thought he was talking about.

AUTaxMan
03-03-2012, 02:09 PM
I would agree with you if oil companies were not reporting record quarterly profits.

Oil companies make almost no money on the sale of gasoline. Their profits chiefly come from the production of oil, gas and other minerals and refining. Exxon cannot cut pump prices. They also do not control pump prices, because they own practically zero filling stations. Crude oil + taxes account for more than $3 of the cost of a gallon of gas. Thats about 85% of the total cost.

bud7562
03-03-2012, 05:51 PM
i been saying that that be going this summer about 5.00 gallon. last summer was 118.00 per barrel and the price did not go up that much??

duane1969
03-04-2012, 02:12 PM
Oil companies make almost no money on the sale of gasoline. Their profits chiefly come from the production of oil, gas and other minerals and refining. Exxon cannot cut pump prices. They also do not control pump prices, because they own practically zero filling stations. Crude oil + taxes account for more than $3 of the cost of a gallon of gas. Thats about 85% of the total cost.

So if gas companies make almost nothing off of gasoline then why did they all start setting profit margin records after prices shot up post-Katrina? And why are they still recording near record profits year after year?

pwaldo
03-04-2012, 03:03 PM
Ask Europe for some sympathy on gas prices. Go ahead. Try it.

A better question would be to ask them why don't they have all electric vehicles or all hybrids over there. If Europe can't or won't do it then it doesn't seem likely that it would happen here since they are a better environment for it then us to make it a success.

Also it seems that people only care about the dysfunctional system of producing and using gas in this country and world when the prices get to a certain amount. Then when it drops again they go silent. This whole system needs to be overhauled for something to change. It is totally broken in almost every way and nobody on the Republican side or Obama has the ability to fix it.

AUTaxMan
03-04-2012, 04:33 PM
So if gas companies make almost nothing off of gasoline then why did they all start setting profit margin records after prices shot up post-Katrina? And why are they still recording near record profits year after year?

Because the price of oil is 3 times what it was prior to Katrina.