PDA

View Full Version : Millionare still collecting food stamps after winning lottery

pwaldo
03-07-2012, 06:17 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/michigan-woman-still-collecting-food-stamps-winning-1-201751693.html

People love stories about someone winning the lottery and then giving the money away. They're less likely to feel fondly about Amanda Clayton, who won $1 million in the Michigan State Lottery but is still collecting food stamps.

"I thought that they would cut me off, but since they didn't, I thought maybe it was OK because I'm not working," Clayton, 24, told Local 4 news in Detroit.

Clayton, who says she owns two homes and a new car, receives $200 a month in food assistance from the state-issued Michigan Bridge Card, which is meant to benefit lower-income residents in the nation's eigth most economically depressed state.

Twenty-five percent of Michigan's residents receive some form of food assistance from the state. The state's unemployment rate is 9.3 percent, more than a full point above the national average, but has dropped from a 10.4 percent peak in August.

And Clayton isn't embarrassed about living off the state even though she now finds herself in the nation's top tax bracket. "I mean I kinda do," Clayton told Local 4 when asked if she had a "right" to the government welfare.

Clayton downplayed her wealth, saying she took the $1 million in a lump sump, which meant about half immediately went to taxes. "I feel that it's OK because I mean, I have no income and I have bills to pay," she said. "I have two houses."

greg271126817
03-07-2012, 06:23 PM
i saw that. Those are the people i cant stand. I dont mind the government helping people who are trying to take care of things, and are haveing a tough time, but cant stand people who live off the government because they are too lazy to even try to get a job. This person falls into that category for me. Wins a mill and still collects food stamps because she doesnt have a job? She should have taken care of that money and did something with it instead of blowing it. 2 houses and a brand new car? how about buy 1 house and invest the rest of the money to pay your bills, instead of depending on the govt and the people who pay the taxes liken they should

shrewsbury
03-07-2012, 06:29 PM
buy two houses a car and still collect welfare.

how about learn a skill and get a job?
you can afford to educate yourself somewhere in something.

*censored*
03-07-2012, 08:07 PM
After ODB took a limo to pick up his welfare check on MTV, no one should be shocked by this.

Star_Cards
03-08-2012, 09:02 AM
baffling how people like this fall through the cracks and not taken off the system. Doesn't she have to file her taxes every year? shouldn't the welfare system be linked to that somehow? I get looking at employment to see if people need help but there are people that don;t have jobs that still have money or make money. Seems like a big flaw in the checks and balances of the system that could easily be corrected. Seems like they'd have auditors for this sort of thing, even though you hear stories regularly about this sort of thing.

AUTaxMan
03-08-2012, 09:43 AM
baffling how people like this fall through the cracks and not taken off the system. Doesn't she have to file her taxes every year? shouldn't the welfare system be linked to that somehow? I get looking at employment to see if people need help but there are people that don;t have jobs that still have money or make money. Seems like a big flaw in the checks and balances of the system that could easily be corrected. Seems like they'd have auditors for this sort of thing, even though you hear stories regularly about this sort of thing.

My guess is that she didn't fall through the cracks, but that she still technically qualifies for assistance because it is based on income, not wealth.

pghin08
03-08-2012, 09:54 AM
I'm already tired and irritable today. Reading this didn't help.

greg271126817
03-08-2012, 10:53 AM
My guess is that she didn't fall through the cracks, but that she still technically qualifies for assistance because it is based on income, not wealth.
This is true. I have heard of people doing the same thing with unemplayment. They collect unemployment for being laid off their job, but find another place that pays them under the table and they can cheat the system all the time. When they do that they cheat the hard working people who actually pay taxes and are honest about it

Star_Cards
03-08-2012, 11:43 AM

good point. That's the part that they need to reform.

not to mention that she should know that it's something that she doesn't need.