PDA

View Full Version : Atheists billboard rejected in NYC neighboorhood

mrveggieman
03-08-2012, 09:09 AM
Your thoughts:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/07/american-atheists-myth-billboard-brooklyn-jewish-rejected_n_1327527.html

Star_Cards
03-08-2012, 10:08 AM
If it's going on top of a private building then the landlord has every right to pick and choose what space he sells to who. It seems like a bad business practice to just not put it up and not contact the group and tell them why or even that you are not going to allow it on your building, but he has the right limit what billboards are placed on his building.

I find it odd that this group would spend the money to advertise their belief. I suppose they are like most churches and more awareness/people means more money.

habsheaven
03-08-2012, 10:31 AM
If it's going on top of a private building then the landlord has every right to pick and choose what space he sells to who. It seems like a bad business practice to just not put it up and not contact the group and tell them why or even that you are not going to allow it on your building, but he has the right limit what billboards are placed on his building.

I find it odd that this group would spend the money to advertise their belief. I suppose they are like most churches and more awareness/people means more money.

I agree completely.

pghin08
03-08-2012, 11:10 AM

I would hope that athiests don't want to be like churches. I don't like the concept of advertising the existence or non-existence of God. Nowhere in the Bible does it say anything about ad campaigns.

"Thou shalt spread the story of our Lord via Twitter, Facebook, and city billboards #GodisGreat #NewTestamentProblems"

mrveggieman
03-08-2012, 11:22 AM
I would hope that athiests don't want to be like churches. I don't like the concept of advertising the existence or non-existence of God. Nowhere in the Bible does it say anything about ad campaigns.

"Thou shalt spread the story of our Lord via Twitter, Facebook, and city billboards #GodisGreat #NewTestamentProblems"

One would think that aetheists would want to distance themselves from churches, mosques, synagouges, etc but that is not always the case.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/25/atheists-temple_n_1231848.html

http://firstchurchofatheism.com/

habsheaven
03-08-2012, 11:32 AM

He could have just as easily substituted the word "churches" with causes, businesses, organizations, movements, etc. The point remains; advertising attracts money.

pghin08
03-08-2012, 11:57 AM
He could have just as easily substituted the word "churches" with causes, businesses, organizations, movements, etc. The point remains; advertising attracts money.

Who cares? Why do atheists need money? To maintain all their temples of non-worship?

Star_Cards
03-08-2012, 12:34 PM

atheism is still a belief I suppose. Most of my distaste for religion is on the organized religion so I have no interest in being in an atheist organization either. It doesn't appeal to me, but I guess it does to some.

bottom line, a lot of organized religions are all about building their populations and donor pools. I'd expect this from any sort of organization. They are kept in existence because they have people interested and people donating. An atheist organization would need funds just the same to do whatever it is they do. Hence the billboard/advertising need.

side bar comment... Here in Indy over the last 4-5 months there have been a ton of "I am Mormon." billboards all around town. Not saying anything about it, just mentioning it. Awareness is huge for all sorts of groups.

Star_Cards
03-08-2012, 12:39 PM
Who cares? Why do atheists need money? To maintain all their temples of non-worship?

an atheist such as myself doesn't need money, well, I need money, but not donations. Although I will take any. :)

I'd look at it as this... it's not all atheists that needs money or awareness, but this is obviously a group or organization that does something. I'm not sure. Just like the "I am mormon" billboards I mentioned that have popped up around my town I'm sure this is about building awareness for their organization. Maybe there are atheists, such as myself, floating around and would be looking for a group to be a part of such as this group. I guess the bottom line is it's not for you to decide what they need to advertise for. It's kind of like the people who buy billboards to look for a spouse or date or something. You and I probably find that absurd, but if they have the money and the place that will allow it then have at it.

Star_Cards
03-08-2012, 12:40 PM
One would think that aetheists would want to distance themselves from churches, mosques, synagouges, etc but that is not always the case.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/25/atheists-temple_n_1231848.html

http://firstchurchofatheism.com/

I'm sure there are some of the wall atheist organizations out there just like there are some churches, temples, or mosques.

mrveggieman
03-08-2012, 12:50 PM
I also have seen a lot of I am morman ads throughout the metro atlanta area as well. I guess that they are trying to show that mormans are everyday people like you and me. Or could it have something to do with with Mitt Romney being morman and running for president this year? Just a little thought.

AUTaxMan
03-08-2012, 01:41 PM
I also have seen a lot of I am morman ads throughout the metro atlanta area as well. I guess that they are trying to show that mormans are everyday people like you and me. Or could it have something to do with with Mitt Romney being morman and running for president this year? Just a little thought.

Mormons have been running ads in just about every media market forever.

duane1969
03-08-2012, 01:52 PM
I have no issue with an atheist billboard, I just don't understand the need to be so "in your face" about it. Why target a Jewish neighborhood with the billboard? This was clearly about propaganda and getting their names in the news because they went there with news reporters planning on making a big show of their billboard.

I have no respect for anyone who intentionally targets an area or a group of people. If this were the KKK trying to put a billboard up in a predominantly black neighborhood or a Christian group trying to put an anti-abortion billboard up over an abortion clinic then it would be just as wrong.

habsheaven
03-08-2012, 03:33 PM

An atheist is still an individual and most likely has capitalistic goals like any other leader of any other entity.

pghin08
03-08-2012, 03:41 PM
An atheist is still an individual and most likely has capitalistic goals like any other leader of any other entity.

I just don't understand non-religion being a moneymaking scheme.

mrveggieman
03-08-2012, 03:44 PM

Hell religion has been a money making scheme since day one. Why can't atheists join in on the fun?

Star_Cards
03-08-2012, 03:47 PM

that's kind of what I was thinking. that it had some indirect connection to Romney running. Most people think of Utah and polygamists when they hear mormon, which isn't the case.

Star_Cards
03-08-2012, 03:57 PM

who said it was a scheme. any organization has a cost of existing. this organization of atheists probably is the same way. awareness means more people interested and more people interested means more participation and possibly more funding for their organization.

AUTaxMan
03-08-2012, 04:04 PM

In an incredible twist of irony, their non-religion has become itself a religion.

mrveggieman
03-08-2012, 04:12 PM
In an incredible twist of irony, their non-religion has become itself a religion.

I actually can agree with the taxman on that one. :sign0020:

Star_Cards
03-08-2012, 04:28 PM
I have no issue with an atheist billboard, I just don't understand the need to be so "in your face" about it. Why target a Jewish neighborhood with the billboard? This was clearly about propaganda and getting their names in the news because they went there with news reporters planning on making a big show of their billboard.

I have no respect for anyone who intentionally targets an area or a group of people. If this were the KKK trying to put a billboard up in a predominantly black neighborhood or a Christian group trying to put an anti-abortion billboard up over an abortion clinic then it would be just as wrong.

I don't see it as "targeting" a specific neighborhood. I'd assume there are non jewish people living around there. Maybe the location was good or the price was good. Most neighborhoods in the U.S. are probably going to have way more religious people than atheists. Going by this there wouldn't be many placing that you wouldn't consider targeting in your opinion. Most marketing is done in areas that may be interested but not typically aware of your group. Why advertise in areas where everyone is aware of your group?

an atheist group is rather different than the KKK and I know you weren't comparing them like that. Atheists typically don't want to get rid of religious people as the KKK does with minorities as you know. I wouldn't equate them as being equal. Telling people that atheism exists is hardly something as hateful as the KKKs message.

if I were an anti abortion group, an abortion clinic would be the exact place that I would pay for a anti abortion billboard. Kind of like the people that picket abortion clinics. The people that group wants to get the attention of are partially people thinking about abortion.