PDA

View Full Version : Basketball fans accused of racism after chanting "USA" at game

pwaldo
03-08-2012, 09:45 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highschool-prep-rally/san-antonio-prep-hoops-fans-accused-racismabover-usa-123930890.html

A high-profile high school in one of the wealthiest districts of the San Antonio region finds itself under fire after its fans chanted "USA, USA, USA" following its boys basketball team's regional final victory against a team made up predominantly of Hispanic players.

As reported by KENS5.com, the Alamo Heights (Texas) High boys basketball team's regional title celebrations were marred by the aforementioned "USA" chants, which came from the school's fan section in the school's Littleton Gym.

While San Antonio Independent School District athletics director Gil Garza insisted that Alamo Heights boys basketball coach Andrew Brewer acted quickly to quash the inflammatory chants, the school at which they were directed -- San Antonio (Texas) Edison High -- filed an official complaint about the incident with the University Interscholastic League, the governing body which oversees Texas public high school extracurricular activities.

"I appreciate coach Brewer taking the action he took to stop it," Garza told KENS5. "Our kids try real hard and work extra hard to get to the regional tournament, and then we have to worry about them being subjected to this kind of insensitivity.

tsjct
03-09-2012, 12:47 AM
Pretty crappy and lack of sportsmanship for sure. There are Idiots everywhere but this shows low class on their part. I feel bad for the kids.

mrveggieman
03-09-2012, 09:12 AM
Pretty crappy and lack of sportsmanship for sure. There are Idiots everywhere but this shows low class on their part. I feel bad for the kids.

+1

I would bet that most if not of all of those Hispanic kids that those idiots were trying to taunt were born and raised here in the USA. Ignorance knows no boundries. SMH.

Star_Cards
03-09-2012, 10:30 AM
pretty tacky. It would be interesting to see how many of those kids are born and raised US citizens. Nice of the coach to step up and get them to stop.