PDA

View Full Version : Vegetarian/Vegan discussion

mrveggieman
03-13-2012, 08:51 AM
Where are all my vegetarians/vegans? I know that there are a few on here. This will be the veggie discussion board. Or if you have any questions about vegetarianism or looking for any recipies please post them here. Thanks.

pghin08
03-13-2012, 09:18 AM
I'm not a vegetarian or vegan, but I've often wondered how and why people come to it. Is it more of a protest against a awful system and a generally unhealthy relationship that Americans have with meat? Or is it something else?

Should be an interesting topic!

mrveggieman
03-13-2012, 11:16 AM
As for me personally it was a combination of both. I wanted to eat healthier and I don't believe that it is neccessary to harm animals for food.

Triple Peanut
03-13-2012, 11:37 AM
I'm not a vegetarian or vegan, but I've often wondered how and why people come to it. Is it more of a protest against a awful system and a generally unhealthy relationship that Americans have with meat? Or is it something else?

Should be an interesting topic!

i've been asked this a million times, don't really have an easy answer (and i don't like sounding preachy with long winded answers). lots of small things that just kind of...made sense to me, i won't bore you with all of them. mostly, i guess it's cause i feel like it's not up to me to decide what has the right to live or not.

the thing that kind of put me over the edge to stop eating meat is semi sports related, funny enough. at citizens bank park here in philly they sell a sandwich called the schmitter (named after schmidt beer, not the player), i think it's roast beef, salami, cheese and tomato or something. i had one when the park first opened and thought it was terrible. a few years later i was at a game and the schmitter stand was the only one without a line (go figure) so i gave it another try. it was just as bad as i remembered and i felt like an animal getting slaughtered and ending up in this lame sandwich was like insult to injury ;)
decided i was going to make an effort to eat less meat after that. once i started looking, i realized how many meatless options there were at restaurants and grocery stores. less meat slowly became no meat and eventually i kind of lost my appetite for it. i still think it looks and smells good, just don't want to eat it...if that makes sense.

theonedru
03-13-2012, 12:04 PM
I am a vegan for the simple reason its healthy and personally I like that I am hot harming animals but I have no issues with others who eat meat (like my wife) though I often wonder why people eat eggs and call themselves vegetarians.....

mrveggieman
03-13-2012, 12:18 PM
I am a vegan for the simple reason its healthy and personally I like that I am hot harming animals but I have no issues with others who eat meat (like my wife) though I often wonder why people eat eggs and call themselves vegetarians.....

Or even worse the old line "I only eat fish so that makes me a vegetarian". If I had a dollar for every time I hear that idiotic statement I would be able to buy every card that I ever dreamed about. :rolleyes:

angel0430
03-13-2012, 01:25 PM
I am not a vegan (I love meat) but I am also training on ultra running and endurance and most fo the athletes that participate on this kind of sports are vegan. They said they started as a mean of eating healthier for their races and losing weight/stamina.

Triple Peanut
03-13-2012, 01:33 PM
hah, my family is pretty hysterical with the fish stuff and what is/isn't meat. i usually tell them i give all animals an equal chance, even the wet slimy ones.

i hear a lot of these from my family:
"you're allowed to eat fish, it's not meat"
"even if you don't eat fish you can eat clams"
"chicken broth isn't meat"
"here, we made you a veggie dish, pasta with meat sauce...meat sauce isn't meat"
if it's not a bleeding steak, it's apparently not meat.

re. eggs, i won't order a plate of scrambled eggs but i will eat bread or something made with them. honestly, i'm probably too lazy to be vegan, kind of a lot of work and so many less places i could go to eat.

mrveggieman
03-13-2012, 01:39 PM
hah, my family is pretty hysterical with the fish stuff and what is/isn't meat. i usually tell them i give all animals an equal chance, even the wet slimy ones.

i hear a lot of these from my family:
"you're allowed to eat fish, it's not meat"
"even if you don't eat fish you can eat clams"
"chicken broth isn't meat"
"here, we made you a veggie dish, pasta with meat sauce...meat sauce isn't meat"
if it's not a bleeding steak, it's apparently not meat.

re. eggs, i won't order a plate of scrambled eggs but i will eat bread or something made with them. honestly, i'm probably too lazy to be vegan, kind of a lot of work and so many less places i could go to eat.

Yeah I'm the same way. No scrambled eggs or milk out of the carton for me either but I do have a weakness for donuts which contain milk or morning star grillers prime veggie burgers which contain eggs. I'm working on it though.

theonedru
03-13-2012, 05:03 PM
the worst thing is I am a vegan that doeasnt eat sugar so when it comes to things like chocolate and most deserts I am out of luck ..... What I would do for a vanilla cupcake

Hilfiger1975
03-13-2012, 05:05 PM
the worst thing is I am a vegan that doeasnt eat sugar so when it comes to things like chocolate and most deserts I am out of luck ..... What I would do for a vanilla cupcake
Wow...i would die without sugar...how do you keep your carbs up?

boba
03-13-2012, 06:11 PM
Not even close to a vegan, but I do love the sweet onion chicken teriyaki at subway - the chicken. I would suggest all you vegans on here to try it.

mrveggieman
03-14-2012, 09:08 AM

Do you use stevia or any of those other sugar substitutes? My wife is not vegan but she avoids sugar and swears by this. Also what are your thoughts about honey?

mrveggieman
03-14-2012, 09:09 AM
Not even close to a vegan, but I do love the sweet onion chicken teriyaki at subway - the chicken. I would suggest all you vegans on here to try it.

Sure, I will give it a try the first Sunday that falls during the middle of the week. :kiss:

Triple Peanut
03-14-2012, 09:36 AM
haha, veggie or not, i ain't eating subway...or anything called a sub, i eat hoagies ;)

mrveggieman
03-14-2012, 10:01 AM
haha, veggie or not, i ain't eating subway...or anything called a sub, i eat hoagies ;)

The veggie max at subway is pretty good. It does contain eggs though. The also have a straight veggie sandwich which is the veggies on the bread without any type of meat or meat substitute.

angel0430
03-14-2012, 10:28 AM
I might have to start eating healthier and I might try some of your advices

boba
03-14-2012, 11:35 AM
Sure, I will give it a try the first Sunday that falls during the middle of the week. :kiss:

Haha, well I always think I could be a vegetarian if I could eat there every day.

mrveggieman
03-14-2012, 11:45 AM
Haha, well I always think I could be a vegetarian if I could eat there every day.

Believe it or not it is not as hard to go veg as you think. If you would like to learn more I can suggest the following websites:

http://www.peta.org/living/vegetarian-living/Accidentally-Vegan.aspx

http://www.peta2.com/stuff/s-wte-groceryshopping.asp

http://allrecipes.com/recipes/everyday-cooking/vegetarian/

http://vegetarian.about.com/

If you have any other questions or concerns about vegetariansm/veganism feel free to continue to post them here or send me a pm.

Triple Peanut
03-14-2012, 04:53 PM
^^ this is true. there was definitely a time where i could have never imagined my self being a vegetarian. i never set out to completely stop eating meat, just trying to eat less. i was gonna go with the non-meat option on the menu if there was one. then i realized i hadn't had meat in a few weeks and i was still enjoying everything i ate. been about 5 years now.
re. subway, i just think they're kind of lame sandwiches. being from philly, i can get a better hoagie at any corner deli or pizza shop. it's all about the roll, apparently the ones we get in philly/NJ/NY are different than everywhere else.

Hilfiger1975
03-14-2012, 04:57 PM
Honey > Sugar

theonedru
03-15-2012, 05:13 AM
Do you use stevia or any of those other sugar substitutes? My wife is not vegan but she avoids sugar and swears by this. Also what are your thoughts about honey?

I use stevia and a few other natural sweeteners like agave. I try and avoid honey. I have felt a lot better since I cut out the sugar. At my peak I was between 260-270 lbs smoking a few packs a day, huge meat eater and saturated myself with sugars. Now I am vegan, Sugar free and smoke free and keep my weight between 173-178 depending on how lazy I am that week.

bangsportscards
03-15-2012, 12:21 PM
Hey guys.

Great to see your interest in the topic.

Oh where to start.

I could talk forever, literally.

I've learned a lot in the area of healthy eating.

I stick to whole or raw foods with avacodo being my favorite. I like almonds, sunflower seeds, & drink only water. Tuna, salmon, & a few other fishes are good on occassion.

Trust me I know the majority doesn't eat like this.

There are a few branches of a vegetarian from what I've seen. Labels get so confusing right? I try to keep things simple.

Let me throw this out to you now. 12 years ago I was seeking opportunity in life. A doctor came up to speak at a conference. He was talking foreign launguage to me, all this healthy stuff, as I had never been introduced to this area of life or put any focus there. For the hour I struggled not to fall asleep! Afterwards I went to the back where they were selling this "green drink" that the doc spoke on. Heck I was eager, grabbed some up, stared drinking it everyday, & within 2 weeks my energy burst. I wasn't overweight, merely 10 pounds or so, ate the best of all the burger joints, etc, but when I realized the benefit of putting in liberal amounts of water with veggies in a powder form, I knew I was onto something. I stuck with this drink & have been doing it ever since. This doctor has defined a term called "Alkalarian" which is seen as a step above your vegetarian.

I've learned the body is not made to undertake a lot of what Americans accept & call food. Vegetables are very nourishing & life giving foods. So many people have little understanding of how we need energy & this mainly comes from veggies.

I'm not about to get into the greater details as I don't want to lose anyone.

If you are feeling a sense to look further into all this, I am going to confidently pass along this doctor I saw speak who has written quite a few books & speaks around the world too. He helped save motivational speaker Anthony Robbins from cancer. He & his wife have a website too.

Here you go:

Dr. Robert O. Young - good book is "The pH Miracle"
Their website: www.phmiracleliving.net

Guys you would be changed for ever even if you gave a green drink a shot. Everyone is different so noticable results are no time guarantee.

bangsportscards
03-15-2012, 12:30 PM
Theonedru hey I want to say that's great for all the progress you have made. It makes a diference I know. Thanks for sharing.

white_rabbit
03-19-2012, 04:31 PM
I read Peter Singer's Animal Liberation at 18.

boba
03-20-2012, 11:42 AM
Honey > Sugar

+1, me and my father are beekeepers.

Honey can do amazing things, if you ever get a cut-bug bite just rub some on, it will do wonders.

shrewsbury
04-23-2012, 11:50 AM
veggie invited me here, so hopefully i don't start an attack.

how is eating an animal, animal cruelty?

plants are raised and killed, even baby plants (sprouts) just like animals, is the difference they don't have faces or make much noise?

i have a vegan daughter, i myself eat healthy, but i eat meat

mrveggieman
04-23-2012, 12:49 PM
veggie invited me here, so hopefully i don't start an attack.

how is eating an animal, animal cruelty?

plants are raised and killed, even baby plants (sprouts) just like animals, is the difference they don't have faces or make much noise?

i have a vegan daughter, i myself eat healthy, but i eat meat

If you eat animals we can safely make some assumtions. First the animal isn't alive when you eat it. If that is the case the next assumption is that someone had to kill the animal before you ate it. You could also assume that the animal did not want to die. Killing anyone or anything without their consent is the ultimate form of cruelty.

BTW welcome to the veggieboard, glad to have you here and hopefully your daughter can influence you to try the vegan lifestyle. Good luck to you and go veg.

shrewsbury
04-23-2012, 01:37 PM
Killing anyone or anything without their consent is the ultimate form of cruelty.

plants give consent to be killed? (chopped off, pulled out, picked)
without plants none of us would be here so killing them is perhaps worse than killing an animal?

also do evolutionists consider this to be cruelty or only religious people?

don't get me wrong, i would have to be mighty hungry to kill an animal myself to eat, but i would.

theonedru
04-23-2012, 01:55 PM
Evan as a vegan just my mere existence still causes animal cruelty and death even if not directly. The building/neighborhood/city I live in when built displaced/killed countless animals, I have been to a zoo and as such contributed to their suffering. The things I buy come from places where land has been cleared and animals were killed and displaced so I can enjoy say this computer. I could go on but this is enough to show unless we are willing to go back to a pre historic lifestyle we will all be horrible people when it comes to animal well being.

shrewsbury
04-23-2012, 02:03 PM
cannot the same thing be said about plants, minerals, and other things?

theonedru
04-23-2012, 04:43 PM

Plants definitely, even more so than animals as plants can and often are eaten raw (i.e. living) and plants can feel stress shock and pain....

minerals are inanimate so I would say they are not in the same class.

Fact is that the term " existence is suffering " is so very true as no matter how noble we make ourselves appear to be we are all somewhat horrible creatures.

shrewsbury
04-23-2012, 04:52 PM
we are horrible because we eat? does not every living thing eat? (even dead if you included zombies)

i can see if you beat an animal just for fun, but to eat?
people don't think if they were capable, the animals and plants wouldn't be doing the same thing to us? in fact some do, but if they had the ability i am sure we would all be raised as food for them and maybe a few of us would be lucky enough to be a pet!

bangsportscards
04-23-2012, 06:02 PM
Well I got to eat something & plants or vegetables have so far worked out pretty good here.

With my other eating alternatives as in say fast food, junk food, frozen food, and what not I will go down on record as whatever it is labeled for being a plant eater.

That is until I find something that works better.

I can eat me some tuna, salmon, and other fish too.

I want say I'll never eat any of those foods I pointed out again but for the most part I go with vegetables.

Brian

theonedru
04-23-2012, 06:33 PM
we are horrible because we eat? does not every living thing eat? (even dead if you included zombies)

i can see if you beat an animal just for fun, but to eat?
people don't think if they were capable, the animals and plants wouldn't be doing the same thing to us? in fact some do, but if they had the ability i am sure we would all be raised as food for them and maybe a few of us would be lucky enough to be a pet!

Horrible in the way that in order for us to exist something else has to suffer or die and that we choose this because we covet that what makes our lives cushier over the right for something else to exist. I think its a basic premise for existence, its harsh world where even our best choices can have harsh consequences.

hawk2618
04-23-2012, 06:50 PM
I'm not a vegetarian but I do try to eat as little red meat as possible.I try to lean towards fish or chicken if i were to grab food other than salads and such.Also,I can't see cutting out everything in life.We all have to remember.The same result is gonna happen,whether were a vegetarian or not.We're all going to die eventually, so I don't see anything wrong with a little treat once a month. ~~Dave C.

mrveggieman
04-24-2012, 01:28 PM
I'm not a vegetarian but I do try to eat as little red meat as possible.I try to lean towards fish or chicken if i were to grab food other than salads and such.Also,I can't see cutting out everything in life.We all have to remember.The same result is gonna happen,whether were a vegetarian or not.We're all going to die eventually, so I don't see anything wrong with a little treat once a month. ~~Dave C.

Im a vegetarian (not quite vegan but working on it) but if I want a treat I can go to most restaurants and get a veggie burger or if I want to splurge I can go to a vegetarian restaurant and get anything I would that would normally be made with meat vegetarian style. I also have a sweet tooth and treat myself to some donuts and other types of pastries. It is not that hard to reduce if not eliminate your meat consumption if you really wanted to. And this is coming from one of the world's former biggest meat eaters. :thumb:

mrveggieman
04-24-2012, 01:29 PM

Also plants do not have the same pain recipticales that animals have.

shrewsbury
04-24-2012, 02:55 PM
you can eat what you want, but i find it rather funny that you say you eat the way you do because of the treatment of animals, heck kobe beef is treated better than you!

then to try and say it is ok to kill one living thing but not another is just an excuse.

vegetarians and vegans are no more healthy than a healthy meat eater. it is not about ease, it is about eating to live, not living to eat.

you can get fat from over eating anything, including vegan style food (love me some vegan cheesecake), and you can be unhealthy from many things.

poor diet is far from the only problem contributing to poor health, one of the biggest is inactivity.

sublime420
04-26-2012, 06:16 PM
Ok kobe beef is kobe beef. MOST of the world's meat producing animals are treated terribly. And almost all meat is unhealthy for you unless it's like turkey. And even that is processed to no end. I don't call myself a vegetarian because i eat fish every once in a while, but personally i try to stay away. Especially fast food. What they do to those animals is grotesque.

mrveggieman
06-19-2012, 10:15 AM
I know that this is an old discussion but I went to the wnba game the other game and got kara lawson's auto. What does that have to do with vegetarianism you might ask? She is a known vegan and I just wanted to give a cheap pop to her website. She has a lot of recepies and a wealth of information. Check her out.

www.lawsonwellness.com (http://www.lawsonwellness.com)

mrveggieman
09-07-2012, 09:23 AM
I was messing around on youtube and saw a vid from this guy. I thought that you may want to check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YPbfoTnqhI&continue_action=9U5ZsRY4DiZps_aMhdCMMIUF1wxaPDhg5U 0XJLiRzbqGIvduJFGZA4IpDKqcf22nMWKiyC-YE36NhujXI8zrVP-9hjsxYLUplekQWjFF4ig=