PDA

View Full Version : If a fetus is a life...

boba
03-20-2012, 11:39 AM
Just some food for thought.

Hypothetically, if there were undeniable facts that a fetus was a life at all stages, should there be any exceptions where abortion should be legal?

Explain your answer.

duane1969
03-20-2012, 11:53 AM
First and foremost. This is a hot-button topic. Everyone needs to keep it nice and respectful in here. If you can not discuss the issue without insults or condescending attitudes then you should avoid discussing it at all.
------------------------------------------------------------

To me, something is "living" when it becomes a discernable being. In the realm of human fetuses, I would say that starts when it has a heartbeat or about 18 days after conception. At that point the fetus has a heartbeat and brain functions seperate from the mother's.

For me, abortion is generally acceptable when it is to save the life of the mother. However, even that has two arguable points, 1) kill one to save another? 2) what if the doctor is wrong?. So I consider that to be a personal choice of the mother and not a social or government choice. My wife was told that if she had our first son that she could die. She chose to risk her own life to give him life. In the end they both lived.

On previous occasions I have said that I supported abortion in the case of rape. I have actually reverted from that. Having the baby or having an abortion, both are a potentially traumatic experience. If the baby is born at least it can be given up for adoption. There is also the chance that in the midst of it all the mother will grow to love the child and end up keeping it and gaining something positive from a horrible experience.

pghin08
03-20-2012, 12:02 PM
Truly, I'm pro-choice by default. As a guy, I don't feel like I have the right to tell a woman what to do with her body.

mrveggieman
03-20-2012, 12:08 PM
I agree with duane on most parts. Abortion should be illegal except in cases of rape, incest or if the mother's life is in danger. My only concern with the rape situation is who can you prove that...

boba
03-20-2012, 12:15 PM
Are you thinking with the hypothetically thought, or is this what you actually believe. <br />
<br />
<br />
To me, if a fetus is a life, there should not be any exception. Bad circumstances do not permit taking of...

Star_Cards
03-20-2012, 12:20 PM
I am pro choice and do not think abortion should be illegal and I also think the people that are okay with it in rape situations really haven't thought through that concept. All that said, I myself would probably be very unlikely to go the abortion route at this point in time. I do think that it should be available. I also think there should be a cut off of when it's an option or not. I'm not a doctor nor have I researched much about a babies development so I can't tell you where that cut off would be, but there should be one that is fairly early in the development. For me abortion isn't a cut and dried topic and am always changing my stances due to new information.

As for the question above I can't really say as my knowledge on fetal development and it's stages is rather limited as far as specifics go.

boba
03-20-2012, 12:23 PM
I am pro choice and do not think abortion should be illegal and I also think the people that are okay with it in rape situations really haven't thought through that concept. All that said, I myself would probably be very unlikely to go the abortion route at this point in time. I do think that it should be available. I also think there should be a cut off of when it's an option or not. I'm not a doctor nor have I researched much about a babies development so I can't tell you where that cut off would be, but there should be one that is fairly early in the development. For me abortion isn't a cut and dried topic and am always changing my stances due to new information.

As for the question above I can't really say as my knowledge on fetal development and it's stages is rather limited as far as specifics go.

The question should have been in better terms, about to fix it. If there was undeniable facts that a fetus at all stages is a life, should there be any exceptions for abortion.

Star_Cards
03-20-2012, 12:23 PM
The whole abortion thing would never work. There are just too many variables involved. You'd never be able to find a reasonable way to process it to work.

mrveggieman
03-20-2012, 12:24 PM
Are you thinking with the hypothetically thought, or is this what you actually believe.

To me, if a fetus is a life, there should not be any exception. Bad circumstances do not permit taking of innocent life in any other place, so why would it be ok in abortion.

Just my personal opinion.

I thinking killing anyone or anything is wrong unless one's life is in danger. As far as rape and incest goes that is a tramatic experience for a woman to go through and athough the baby did not ask to be concieved I think it would cause more harm than good by forcing a woman to carry a child concieved in the case of rape. That's my two cents on the matter.

AUTaxMan
03-20-2012, 12:28 PM
No

habsheaven
03-20-2012, 12:31 PM
The question should have been in better terms, about to fix it. If there was undeniable facts that a fetus at all stages is a life, should there be any exceptions for abortion.

I think the facts are undeniable already. A fetus at any stage is life. The question is; is it a viable life entitled to the rights and protections of the living?

duane1969
03-20-2012, 12:33 PM
I think the facts are undeniable already. A fetus at any stage is life. The question is; is it a viable life entitled to the rights and protections of the living?

What does the term "viable life" mean?

habsheaven
03-20-2012, 12:37 PM
What does the term "viable life" mean?

For me, in the case of a fetus it means; can the fetus survive outside of it's mother's womb.

AUTaxMan
03-20-2012, 12:40 PM
If you believe that all human life = a person, then that person (regardless of how small and undeveloped) should have the same rights as all other persons, including the right not to be killed.

boba
03-20-2012, 12:46 PM
For me, in the case of a fetus it means; can the fetus survive outside of it's mother's womb.

What is your view on people with physical and or mental conditions that cannot survive without constant care?

duane1969
03-20-2012, 01:02 PM

I ask because I hear that term a lot. I disagree with the concept because all things are dependant on something else for life.

Try this. Lock a full grown man in a cinderblock room and come back in a year. Let me know how "viable" he was.

Just because a fetus can not survive without it's mother does not make it "non-living". Can a baby survive without someone feeding it? Can a human survive without milk from animals, fruit from trees, vegetables from plants? We are all living but we are not viable without life-support from something else.

The only difference between a born and unborn human is the source of life that it depends on to survive.