PDA

View Full Version : Stories the national media won't cover

steelers#1fan
03-21-2012, 08:50 AM
13-Year-Old Boy Doused With Gasoline, Set on Fire in Racially-Charged Attack <br />
<br />
Mar 5 <br />
<br />
Posted by The Rat <br />
<br />
‘THIS IS WHAT YOU DESERVE; YOU GET WHAT YOU DESERVE’ – AS CHILD IS ENGULFED IN...

Star_Cards
03-21-2012, 10:04 AM
first off, this is terrible and seems right up the ally for the national media to discuss as far as shows like the morning news shows. I actually haven't watched much of them anymore as they all seems to be more fluff than anything else. Shows like this are so produced that they definitely have to pick and choose what to cover and they like to cover the royal family and crap like that more so than news. I don;t want a lot of the cable news shows outside of HLN in the mornings so I have no idea if they have been covering this. I'd guess that the primaries help to limit their time with what they can discuss. I know you will disagree with me but I just don't believe they would shelve this story because it was black kids doing this to a white kid. Although who knows a media outlets motivation on deciding what to report. It's feasible that some would shy away from it due to the race issue, but there are a ton of different "news" shows out there so I don't tend to lump them all together.

second, congratulations on getting an Obama smack in there about the "Obama media group". I really have no clue where that comes in on any of this, but kudos.

mrveggieman
03-21-2012, 10:29 AM
Sure go on and blame Obama for this too. You know that he alone controls the media.

habsheaven
03-21-2012, 10:29 AM
What does this have to do with Obama? And where is the thread criticizing the media for their over-coverage of dead/missing white girls and the non-existent coverage of similary distressed minority girls?

mrveggieman
03-21-2012, 10:37 AM
I'm starting to believe this never really happened and it was just posted on some right wing website to stir up hate. I don't care what race the child or people who did this to him are if something like this really happened it would have been a front page story. Do you have a link to a credible unbiased source with this story?

duane1969
03-21-2012, 10:44 AM
I'm starting to believe this never really happened and it was just posted on some right wing website to stir up hate. I don't care what race the child or people who did this to him are if something like this really happened it would have been a front page story. Do you have a link to a credible unbiased source with this story?

So you automatically assume it is a right wing conspiracy? And you call yourself unbiased?

It took me 5 seconds to Google it.
http://www.kveo.com/news/boy-set-fire

I wonder, if this was a story about white boys doing this to a black boy would you automatically assume it is a leftwing conspiracy and not true? I already know the answer.

shrewsbury
03-21-2012, 10:51 AM
don't blame Obama, it was bush!

pghin08
03-21-2012, 10:54 AM
It's a legit story, here's a link to the video: <br />
<br />
http://www.zeeknews.com/2012/03/13-year-old-boy-doused-in-gasoline-and-set-on-fire-in-racially-charged-attack/ <br />
<br />
Oddly, the video makes no mention...

mrveggieman
03-21-2012, 10:56 AM
So you automatically assume it is a right wing conspiracy? And you call yourself unbiased?

It took me 5 seconds to Google it.
http://www.kveo.com/news/boy-set-fire

I wonder, if this was a story about white boys doing this to a black boy would you automatically assume it is a leftwing conspiracy and not true? I already know the answer.

I'm on the internet all day at work looking at different websites and I honestly never heard of this. Since the OP posted from a trashy anti-obama right wing website it looked like he posted an urban legend to stir up hate. Thanks for linking to an unbiased site. BTW the people who did this to this child should be punished severly.

Star_Cards
03-21-2012, 11:00 AM
don't blame Obama, it was bush!

What?! I see no reason to bring up any presidential administration when dealing with a discussion about this topic.

Star_Cards
03-21-2012, 11:03 AM
I don't watch any news show much as they are of little interest to me due to their weak coverage. Due to that I was unable to really comment about the validity of the national news shows that the OP...

duane1969
03-21-2012, 11:05 AM
I'm on the internet all day at work looking at different websites and I honestly never heard of this. Since the OP posted from a trashy anti-obama right wing website it looked like he posted an urban legend to stir up hate. Thanks for linking to an unbiased site. BTW the people who did this to this child should be punished severly.

So if you post a story about anti-black crimes from HuffPost should I automatically assume it is a leftwing conspiracy and totally made up?

Star_Cards
03-21-2012, 11:08 AM
So if you post a story about anti-black crimes from HuffPost should I automatically assume it is a leftwing conspiracy and totally made up?

fair question. While I know that some site can and do slant a story one way or the other I'm not of the opinion that there are many sites that just make up stories to use as material to bolster their side. I know it's happened, but it's pretty rare.

ensbergcollector
03-21-2012, 12:13 PM
while this has nothing to do with obama, can anyone deny that if the races in this story were reversed, we would have all heard about this? Can anyone deny that al shaprton would be holding protests...

mrveggieman
03-21-2012, 12:22 PM
You might be on to something. However even if what you say is true who's fault is it that no one is protesting this as a hate crime? You would think that Rush and Pat Roberston would be all over...

ensbergcollector
03-21-2012, 12:26 PM
You might be on to something. However even if what you say is true who's fault is it that no one is protesting this as a hate crime? You would think that Rush and Pat Roberston would be all over this. :rolleyes:

no, because quite frankly half of what al sharpton does only promotes more hate between races. a bunch of white people holding rallies calling out black kids would do nothing for race relations, no matter how just the cause.

mrveggieman
03-21-2012, 12:29 PM
no, because quite frankly half of what al sharpton does only promotes more hate between races. a bunch of white people holding rallies calling out black kids would do nothing for race relations, no matter how just the cause.

These cases have nothing to do with race relations but they are about justice for children who suffered violent acts at the hands of cowards. I really don't care what race, religion, gender, sexual preference you are if you hurt a child you are the lowest scum of the earth. Tell me again what has Rush ever did for race relations? :rolleyes:

ensbergcollector
03-21-2012, 12:36 PM
These cases have nothing to do with race relations but they are about justice for children who suffered violent acts at the hands of cowards. I really don't care what race, religion, gender, sexual preference you are if you hurt a child you are the lowest scum of the earth. Tell me again what has Rush ever did for race relations? :rolleyes:

tell me again who besides you even brought rush into this. and what are you rolling your eyes for?

i saw again, and please tell me if you think i am wrong. the image of a bunch of white people rallying for punishment for a group of black kids would do damage for race relations in this country. Just like every time sharpton does it it damages race relations in this country.

pghin08
03-21-2012, 12:41 PM
tell me again who besides you even brought rush into this. and what are you rolling your eyes for?

i saw again, and please tell me if you think i am wrong. the image of a bunch of white people rallying for punishment for a group of black kids would do damage for race relations in this country. Just like every time sharpton does it it damages race relations in this country.

I'm inclined to agree. I don't like the term hate crime. Isn't every violent crime committed against somebody else a hate crime?

mrveggieman
03-21-2012, 12:50 PM

I don't care what race they were. If anyone hurts a child everyone regardless of race everyone should rally together to see that justice is served. It's kind of ironic that in prisons there is swift justice for people who hurt children regardless of race but if someone hurts a child like in this story it turns into a political game with someone blaming the obama controlled media.

pspstatus
03-21-2012, 04:21 PM
What does this have to do with Obama? And where is the thread criticizing the media for their over-coverage of dead/missing white girls and the non-existent coverage of similary distressed minority girls?

Good point. Natalee Holloway anyone? I can think of a bunch of stories about missing white girls getting constant attention. Can't think of one missing black girl that's gotten that type of national media attention. Where's your outrage over that? It reminds me of this scene from Family Guy.

Lois Griffin: I can't believe Chris would just buy into that army recruiter's sales pitch. We can't let him enlist! Peter Griffin: Don't worry Lois, all he needs is an after-school activity to get his mind off the Army. Just something to distract him. You know, like all of America gets distracted whenever a cute, white girl dies. [Cutaway to an overturned bus, with a policeman holding a clipboard and the press standing by] Policeman: We regret to report that not all the children on board the school bus survived. We have identified the body of one victim: 9 year-old, Becky Gunderson. The Press: Awww. Policeman: [Reading from his clipboard] No, wait. That's, uh, Becky Gutierrez. The Press: Oh. Journalist: That's not news. (Reporters all walk away)

Wickabee
03-21-2012, 05:05 PM
This has nothing to do with Obama, BUT is a great example of the completely incorrect mindset that only white people can be racist. I have to agree if it was white guys doing this to a black boy, the media would be all over it. But because it's the way it is, most media probably thinks they would be "racist" for calling a group of black men "racist". Why is there such an idea that only white people have the ability to be racist? Why can Chris Rock scream, "Honkey" and "Cracker" at the top of his lungs and be a superstar for it but if I even think of the 'n' word, I'm a racist?

duane1969
03-21-2012, 07:01 PM
This has nothing to do with Obama, BUT is a great example of the completely incorrect mindset that only white people can be racist. I have to agree if it was white guys doing this to a black boy, the media would be all over it. But because it's the way it is, most media probably thinks they would be "racist" for calling a group of black men "racist". Why is there such an idea that only white people have the ability to be racist? Why can Chris Rock scream, "Honkey" and "Cracker" at the top of his lungs and be a superstar for it but if I even think of the 'n' word, I'm a racist?

Because the left has spent the last 20 years teaching us that whites get the best of everything, get all of the benefits, get all of the jobs, get all of the breaks, get all of everything. So if somebody insults them, assaults them or hates them it is OK since they get so much the rest of the time.

It is the same sort of acceptable hate that we see directed at the wealthy right now. It is OK to overtax them, OK to disparage them, OK to rejoice in their struggles, because they get so much more than others that when they get the short end of the stick, no matter how wrong it is, it is OK.

shrewsbury
03-21-2012, 07:23 PM
[QUOTE]http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/missing-girl-jahessye-shockley-attention-black-grandmother-fears-article-1.963920[/QUOTE

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/the-view-finds-missing-nyc-girl/

it seems like it is in the news, but the news is reporting that it is not in the news, i wonder why?

so the media is racist, but tries to make obama look good and bush dumb?

and to beat it all there is a "black and missing foundation"?

pspstatus
03-21-2012, 10:39 PM
Because the left has spent the last 20 years teaching us that whites get the best of everything, get all of the benefits, get all of the jobs, get all of the breaks, get all of everything. So if somebody insults them, assaults them or hates them it is OK since they get so much the rest of the time.

It is the same sort of acceptable hate that we see directed at the wealthy right now. It is OK to overtax them, OK to disparage them, OK to rejoice in their struggles, because they get so much more than others that when they get the short end of the stick, no matter how wrong it is, it is OK.

I have to say that I really don't like this statement. I don't remember anyone on any side trying to convince me that whites get the best of everything.

As far as I can tell this was reported in the main stream media, maybe not as much as if it had been the other way around, but it was there. But I think there is a reason for that. Like it or not that reason lives in the history of this country. Every educated person in this country knows that black people had to deal with things like this all the time. Even though it doesn't happen anymore we still know it did happen. Maybe that knowledge makes us subconsiously indifferent to a single situation like this when it's happened so many times the other way around. Which of course doesn't justify that type of behavior but it may help to explain the attitude of the public.

As far as you're comment about it being OK to hate the rich, I think you've got it wrong. People don't hate the rich because they have money and the finer things. People are upset because so many wealthy people make their money by breaking the backs of the little guy. They're upset because the people with the money are catered to by our government. They're angry because the system is set up to benefit the few at the expense of the many.

pspstatus
03-21-2012, 10:50 PM
[quote]http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/missing-girl-jahessye-shockley-attention-black-grandmother-fears-article-1.963920[/QUOTE

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/the-view-finds-missing-nyc-girl/

it seems like it is in the news, but the news is reporting that it is not in the news, i wonder why?

so the media is racist, but tries to make obama look good and bush dumb?

and to beat it all there is a "black and missing foundation"?

That little girl has been missing since October of last year. How many times had you heard of her before you found that article? Meanwhile not a week went by without the nation getting an update on Elizabeth Smart. Maybe black people set up the black and missing foundation because they felt like they NEEDED it.

steelers#1fan
03-22-2012, 06:49 AM
Really!? So to appease the blacks, we are to understand that it's ok to blast headlines of hate crimes against blacks because of PAST history!? We are to just sweep hate crimes commited by blacks against whites under the rug because of years of repression and that whites are getting what they deserve? Our media is having a field day with adding fuel to the racial fire that's burning in this country. Of course our government doesn't see violence against whites as a hate crime either. Yes, thanks to our president , who happens to be half black, he didn't see it important enough to protect whites,jews and asians in the hate crime act because apparently it's not a hate crime if it is commited againt these groups of people! Instead of making things better in this country, our government and the media are putting a strain on race relations.

I have to say that I really don't like this statement. I don't remember anyone on any side trying to convince me that whites get the best of everything.

As far as I can tell this was reported in the main stream media, maybe not as much as if it had been the other way around, but it was there. But I think there is a reason for that. Like it or not that reason lives in the history of this country. Every educated person in this country knows that black people had to deal with things like this all the time. Even though it doesn't happen anymore we still know it did happen. Maybe that knowledge makes us subconsiously indifferent to a single situation like this when it's happened so many times the other way around. Which of course doesn't justify that type of behavior but it may help to explain the attitude of the public.

As far as you're comment about it being OK to hate the rich, I think you've got it wrong. People don't hate the rich because they have money and the finer things. People are upset because so many wealthy people make their money by breaking the backs of the little guy. They're upset because the people with the money are catered to by our government. They're angry because the system is set up to benefit the few at the expense of the many.

pghin08
03-22-2012, 09:52 AM
Really!? So to appease the blacks, we are to understand that it's ok to blast headlines of hate crimes against blacks because of PAST history!? We are to just sweep hate crimes commited by blacks against whites under the rug because of years of repression and that whites are getting what they deserve? Our media is having a field day with adding fuel to the racial fire that's burning in this country. Of course our government doesn't see violence against whites as a hate crime either. Yes, thanks to our president , who happens to be half black, he didn't see it important enough to protect whites,jews and asians in the hate crime act because apparently it's not a hate crime if it is commited againt these groups of people! Instead of making things better in this country, our government and the media are putting a strain on race relations.

I actually agree. If you look at the statistics, interracial violent crime isn't as common as you'd think, given the media coverage. Black on black or white on white crime is MUCH more common. I'm convinced there will always be racial tension in this country (Example: I live in suburban Pittsburgh--not exactly a bastion of racism--and even here I heard a bar owner say he wouldn't hire "that Aunt Jemima"), but the media definitely fosters it sometimes.

mrveggieman
03-22-2012, 10:15 AM
[quote=shrewsbury;11264793]

That little girl has been missing since October of last year. How many times had you heard of her before you found that article? Meanwhile not a week went by without the nation getting an update on Elizabeth Smart. Maybe black people set up the black and missing foundation because they felt like they NEEDED it.

CHURCH!! :love0030:

mrveggieman
03-22-2012, 10:17 AM

So I'm confused. Who are you mad at? Blacks don't control the media. Nor did we chose to live under a system of slavey or segragation. President Obama was elected by a majority vote and according to the US census blacks only count as a small percentage of US citizens.

Star_Cards
03-22-2012, 10:34 AM

I agree there is a double standard when it comes to race, but that's hardly the fault or "the left". It's more of a product of the majority race being white and that there is history of that white majority oppressing other races simply based on their different race. You can't blame our races past history in dealing with other races on the present day liberal agenda. Our race has sort of earned this if you think about it. I do think that we have taken major steps in changing that view point towards other races in the past 30-40 years, but there is still work to do. I'm not going to sit here and say that the double standard is fair or right but it is out there. And that isn't to say that minorities have the right to be racist or aren't capable of being racist or are any less ignorant than the white racists. They are just as idiotic.

as for the chris rock scenario, a comic on stage has all to do with context. A lot of joke these days like use racially insensitive terms is actually making fun of the racists who use those words to try to knock people down. also... as a white male, I find the terms honkey and cracker to be pretty funny. That's probably because my history of those words being used to offend me or break me down is very rare. Probably much more rare than minorities that have racial terms said to them.

Wickabee
03-22-2012, 02:53 PM
I agree there is a double standard when it comes to race, but that's hardly the fault or "the left". It's more of a product of the majority race being white and that there is history of that white majority oppressing other races simply based on their different race. You can't blame our races past history in dealing with other races on the present day liberal agenda. Our race has sort of earned this if you think about it. I do think that we have taken major steps in changing that view point towards other races in the past 30-40 years, but there is still work to do. I'm not going to sit here and say that the double standard is fair or right but it is out there. And that isn't to say that minorities have the right to be racist or aren't capable of being racist or are any less ignorant than the white racists. They are just as idiotic.
I haven't earned it. My family hasn't even earned it. Slavery was abolished LONG before either side of my family came to North America. So I'm being punished for the sins of other people's fathers because white people did bad back then, so white people must be punished now?
Some would call that"reverse" racism, but it's just flat out racism and it's just as wrong as what white people did back in the day.

as for the chris rock scenario, a comic on stage has all to do with context. A lot of joke these days like use racially insensitive terms is actually making fun of the racists who use those words to try to knock people down. also... as a white male, I find the terms honkey and cracker to be pretty funny. That's probably because my history of those words being used to offend me or break me down is very rare. Probably much more rare than minorities that have racial terms said to them.
If I was a comedian and said a certain word, I would be run out on a rail. Rock, and others, actually make jokes about the fact they can say "honkey" but white people can't say...

It's all racism and I'm flat out sick of it. Do you really think Rev. Sharpton and the rest want actual equality? I don't. I think they want to rule the whites as the whites enslaved their forefathers.
And that makes them more racist than anyone.

mrveggieman
03-22-2012, 02:57 PM
I haven't earned it. My family hasn't even earned it. Slavery was abolished LONG before either side of my family came to North America. So I'm being punished for the sins of other people's fathers because white people did bad back then, so white people must be punished now?
Some would call that"reverse" racism, but it's just flat out racism and it's just as wrong as what white people did back in the day.

If I was a comedian and said a certain word, I would be run out on a rail. Rock, and others, actually make jokes about the fact they can say "honkey" but white people can't say...

It's all racism and I'm flat out sick of it. Do you really think Rev. Sharpton and the rest want actual equality? I don't. I think they want to rule the whites as the whites enslaved their forefathers.

I was with you until you made the remark about Al Sharpton wanting to enslave white people then you lost me. I must have missed that memo.

lloydr04
03-22-2012, 03:00 PM

so this comes down to opinion and putting words in sharptons mouth and then use it like its fact.. yeah , come better next time:smash:

Wickabee
03-22-2012, 03:14 PM
I presented it as opinion not fact, as evidenced here:

Do you really think Rev. Sharpton and the rest want actual equality? I don't. I think they want to rule the whites as the whites enslaved their forefathers.

If you want to accuse someone of putting words in another's mouth, look in the mirror.

It's okay, comprehending the English language can be difficult. Please be sure you actually know what written before you comment on it. In other words, "come better next time" and don't be a hypocrite about it.

Thank you and good day.

lloydr04
03-22-2012, 03:35 PM

If you want to accuse someone of putting words in another's mouth, look in the mirror.

It's okay, comprehending the English language can be difficult. Please be sure you actually know what written before you comment on it. In other words, "come better next time" and don't be a hypocrite about it.

Thank you and good day.

"and that makes them more racist than anyone"

sounds to me you are using your OPINION and then pushing fact that not only that is what makes them racist, but you are assuming that they are racist and on top of that, more than anyone else... maybe you should come south of your border sometimes and brush up on YOUR comprehension skills... because i clearly stated it WAS an opinion and would be one until you used that last sentence... for it to be an opinion it would go like "To me makes me THINK they are MORE racist than anyone"

that's okay , just come better next time.

*bell ringing* class is dismissed:basket:

lloydr04
03-22-2012, 03:51 PM

Thank you and good day.

Had all that time to edit and that's the best you could do... i didn't once say the first part of your sentence was pushed as fact, but the "that makes them more racist than anyone" is drawing to conclusions and you are obviously pushing it as truth... once again .. TRY AGAIN:confused0024:

Wickabee
03-22-2012, 03:54 PM
I'll revise:
"That would make them more racist than anyone."

Better? Didn't think I had to spell it out like you're 4. Guess I was wrong.

lloydr04
03-22-2012, 03:55 PM
I'll revise:
"That would make them more racist than anyone."

Better? Didn't think I had to spell it out like you're 4. Guess I was wrong.

That's all I asked, now at least you see where you were wrong.

Next time I correct you i want you to spell it out like i am this many (2), cool?:rolleyes:

Wickabee
03-22-2012, 03:57 PM
Just try and put some actual thought into what you're reading for a change. Comprehension is hard, but with a little work you might be able to understand the written word.

Good luck!

lloydr04
03-22-2012, 04:01 PM
Just try and put some actual thought into what you're reading for a change. Comprehension is hard, but with a little work you might be able to understand the written word.

Good luck!

Sure I will next time I watch a grown man cry because he can't play racist in public like the other boys do ...also , i will make sure i provide you with tissue so you can dry your eyes before you proceed to call other people racist.

Wickabee
03-22-2012, 04:04 PM
There you go putting words in my mouth again. You should try to stop doing that, it's unbecoming.
I can't believe I actually have to say this, as anyone with any sort of understanding should get this, but here I am spelling it out for you again, simply because you refuse to put thought into anything you read.

I'm not saying I should be allowed to use the N word. Far from it. I don't understand, though, why it's okay for non-whites to use derogatory terms towards me or you or any other white person.

Do you understand now? Or do I have to draw you a picture?

lloydr04
03-22-2012, 04:12 PM
There you go putting words in my mouth again. You should try to stop doing that, it's unbecoming.
I can't believe I actually have to say this, as anyone with any sort of understanding should get this, but here I am spelling it out for you again, simply because you refuse to put thought into anything you read.

I'm not saying I should be allowed to use the N word. Far from it. I don't understand, though, why it's okay for non-whites to use derogatory terms towards me or you or any other white person.

Do you understand now? Or do I have to draw you a picture?

Picture would be nice, PM me when you're done.

P.S. what forces anyone to watch Chris Rock, obviously funny comedy is funny

there are plenty of white supremacist and racist out there who openly use the N word or Sp*c because they aren't white with blonde hair , who cares? Part of life.. don't like them? Don't watch! Can't stand them? Then Move! Want to be a coward about it? Join Stor**ront.org! (you don't see me complaining about the site, because i don't like it and don't go.. see how simple that was

Afrank45
03-22-2012, 04:15 PM
I dont understand how some of you use the suffering of CHILDREN as grounds for your debates on race relations or politics or whatever. Some of you need to take a long hard look at yourselves in the mirror. At the end of the day no amount of media coverage or overall rightness of people on either side is going to bring back the dead or reverse the permanent scaring these kids suffered. Holy crap have a bit of respect for these kids and stop using them to bolster your opinions.

mrveggieman
03-22-2012, 04:50 PM
I dont understand how some of you use the suffering of CHILDREN as grounds for your debates on race relations or politics or whatever. Some of you need to take a long hard look at yourselves in the mirror. At the end of the day no amount of media coverage or overall rightness of people on either side is going to bring back the dead or reverse the permanent scaring these kids suffered. Holy crap have a bit of respect for these kids and stop using them to bolster your opinions.

It looks like this tread is officially shut down!!

Wickabee
03-22-2012, 04:53 PM
Picture would be nice, PM me when you're done.

P.S. what forces anyone to watch Chris Rock, obviously funny comedy is funny

there are plenty of white supremacist and racist out there who openly use the N word or Sp*c because they aren't white with blonde hair , who cares? Part of life.. don't like them? Don't watch! Can't stand them? Then Move! Want to be a coward about it? Join Stor**ront.org! (you don't see me complaining about the site, because i don't like it and don't go.. see how simple that was
You really have NO idea what my point is. If you did, you'd say something that makes sense. Frankly, I don't have the time to draw you a picture and I still don't think you'd understand, simply because you obviously don't want to, but I will respond one more time.

1 - Yes, Chris Rock is hillarious.
2 - I realize there are racist white people who use derogatory terms. What I don't understand is why society as a whole denounces white people using derogatory terms, but lauds everyone else for using derogatory words against white people. How is that equality?
3 - You're obviously taking this WAY more seriously than I. I suppose I should just agree with you and we can tra-la-la our way through imaginationland?
4 - It's you're just looking for an argument. In this thread you've taken one word and used it to call me a racist without putting any thought into the rest of my post. In another thread you took a post with one sentence and denounced it for many, many reason that were never in the actual post.

lloydr04
03-22-2012, 04:55 PM
You really have NO idea what my point is. If you did, you'd say something that makes sense. Frankly, I don't have the time to draw you a picture and I still don't think you'd understand, simply because you obviously don't want to, but I will respond one more time.

2 - I realize there are racist white people who use derogatory terms. What I don't understand is why society as a whole denounces white people using derogatory terms, but lauds everyone else for using derogatory words against white people. How is that equality?
3 - You're obviously taking this WAY more seriously than I. I suppose I should just agree with you and we can tra-la-la our way through imaginationland?
4 - It's you're just looking for an argument. In this thread you've taken one word and used it to call me a racist without putting any thought into the rest of my post. In another thread you took a post with one sentence and denounced it for many, many reason that were never in the actual post.
http://www.burdandkeyz.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/son-300x224.jpg

Wickabee
03-22-2012, 04:56 PM
That's...something...

mrveggieman
03-22-2012, 05:00 PM

Afrank45 bought up a good point so I started a race relations thread. Please be respectful and enjoy:

http://www.sportscardforum.com/showthread.php?p=11268864#post11268864

pspstatus
03-22-2012, 08:03 PM

Hey friend maybe you should read my quote again. I offered it as a theory, not a fact. I didn't even say it was my opinion. I can see I ruffled some feathers, though I'd bet that has a lot more to do with how you feel in your heart on the subject rather than what I said. I bet you just hate appeasing those "blacks" don't you?

As far as your assertion about Barack Obama and the hate crime act leaving those groups out maybe you should check on that again too. It doesn't give specifics on which groups are protected, only parameters for the reasoning behind the crime which include any race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, etc. I honestly have no idea where you're coming from with your assertion that it leaves anyone out.

I will say that I do agree that the media fuels the fire. But the media reports on what people want to see and racial drama is very interesting. The thing is that people overall seem to care more about a hate crime against anyone other than a white person, possibly for the reason I stated in the post of mine that you quoted. Again I didn't say it was right, but I offered it as a theory.

Star_Cards
03-23-2012, 12:05 PM

I don't think society lauds everyone else for using derogatory words against white people. If a black man gets some time on TV and he clearly has an anti white stance against whites I will have a problem with it. I just wouldn't gauge the outrage of the nation by what the media shows or talks about. If it doesn't get them ratings they won't spend much time on it.

Wickabee
03-23-2012, 01:28 PM
I was speaking more of giving black comedians and rappers/singers millions of dollars for using racial slurs.

Star_Cards
03-23-2012, 02:13 PM
I was speaking more of giving black comedians and rappers/singers millions of dollars for using racial slurs.

these are all a product of money. If people were offended by these artists and their choice of words people would stop buying their records or watching their comedy. That's a choice that's all up to an individual and has nothing to do with media in my opinion.

mrveggieman
03-23-2012, 02:18 PM
these are all a product of money. If people were offended by these artists and their choice of words people would stop buying their records or watching their comedy. That's a choice that's all up to an individual and has nothing to do with media in my opinion.

bingo!

Wickabee
03-23-2012, 02:28 PM
1 - When have I said "media"? I'm talking about society as a whole.
2 - "Just don't watch" "Get over it" Ok. Why doesn't that work both ways?

Also, once again for the record, I'm not offended by the words or any of that. I'm offended by the double standard. That sort of thing actually creates racism, I think, as it makes it okay to be racist, so long as you're not white.

I am of course speaking of public perception here.

Another way of putting it, if an old black man is sitting around complaining about damn crackers, society mostly just sayd, "Oh, that's [person X]. It's just his way."
Reverse it to make him an old white man complaining about [n word]s and he's suddenly an evil, racist old man who needs his views of the world changed.

It's the same thing, they're both old men complaining about skin colour and nothing else, but one is tolerated while the other is completely vilified.

I just don't understand why there's a need for the double standard.

mrveggieman
03-23-2012, 02:44 PM

Also, once again for the record, I'm not offended by the words or any of that. I'm offended by the double standard. That sort of thing actually creates racism, I think, as it makes it okay to be racist, so long as you're not white.

Another way of putting it, if an old black man is sitting around complaining about damn crackers, society mostly just sayd, "Oh, that's [person X]. It's just his way."
Reverse it to make him an old white man complaining about [n word]s and he's suddenly an evil, racist old man who needs his views of the world changed.

It's the same thing, they're both old men complaining about skin colour and nothing else, but one is tolerated while the other is completely vilified.

I agree that it is wrong to use racist terms when talking about anyone but yes it happens. Change has to start from home. We may not be able to do anything with the bitter old man but we can teach our kids, cousins, neices, nephews and siblings that racism and calling people derogotory terms is wrong from all sides.

Wickabee
03-23-2012, 03:02 PM
I agree that it is wrong to use racist terms when talking about anyone but yes it happens. Change has to start from home. We may not be able to do anything with the bitter old man but we can teach our kids, cousins, neices, nephews and siblings that racism and calling people derogotory terms is wrong from all sides.
But that's not what is happening. I mean, let's face it, you can teach your kids anything you want, but they're going to pick up other stuff along the way.
A white kid sees/hears an old white man saying derogatory, racist things and the people around him say, "That's wrong, old man. You shouldn't talk or think like that," and learns that it's wrong to be racist.

A black kid sees/hears and old black man saying derogatory, racist things and the people around him say, "Oh, he's just an old man. That's just his way let him be," and learns it's okay to be racist as long as you're old enough.

A white kid sees/hears a white comedian making racist jokes and society as a whole vilifies him for it. The kid learns it's wrong to be racist. Then he sees a black man getting paid millions for making the same type of comments and learns it's okay to be racist, as long as you're not white."

Bad lesson no matter who's learning it.

Star_Cards
03-23-2012, 03:06 PM

I said media because that is the main topic of this thread. I have no idea if you have said media. To tell you the truth there's about three threads that all have a very similar topic so it's hard for me to remember.

If you take it outside of the media and just for society I can only answer for myself. If I see a person using racists comments and I can tell that it's malicious it doesn't matter what color they are, it's a turn off and I won't hang around that person. I think most people are like that. In your scenario, I see both old men as racists is they are saying racial slurs in a derogatory manner. I don't across these types of people much in my life but can imagine a scenario where the black man in your scenario wouldn't have negative impressions made of him just like the white guy would. I do agree that there are some people that think minorities can't be racists, but those people are simply ignorant. Anyone can be racist or bigoted.

Star_Cards
03-23-2012, 03:14 PM
But that's not what is happening. I mean, let's face it, you can teach your kids anything you want, but they're going to pick up other stuff along the way.
A white kid sees/hears an old white man saying derogatory, racist things and the people around him say, "That's wrong, old man. You shouldn't talk or think like that," and learns that it's wrong to be racist.

A black kid sees/hears and old black man saying derogatory, racist things and the people around him say, "Oh, he's just an old man. That's just his way let him be," and learns it's okay to be racist as long as you're old enough.

A white kid sees/hears a white comedian making racist jokes and society as a whole vilifies him for it. The kid learns it's wrong to be racist. Then he sees a black man getting paid millions for making the same type of comments and learns it's okay to be racist, as long as you're not white."

Bad lesson no matter who's learning it.

Where are you seeing that an old black racist is being celebrated? Like I said, I'm not typically around racist people in general but I would guess that there are many people in the black community that would do exactly what you are stating the old white racist scenario if the racists were black.

Like I said, I've seen white comedies tell jokes about blacks and be funny and not be vilified. Have you ever watched Daniel Tosh or any of the comedy central roasts? There are jokes about blacks that work and are funny and aren't anything like Michael Richards on stage yelling the N word. Like I said, you can tell in the tone of a joke if there is a maliciousness in the way that they say it or if they are saying it to be funny. I don't know chris rock, but he can say cracker all day long but he doesn't seem like a guy that's racists towards whites. If he was, I think a lot of his white comic friends wouldn't hang out with him that much. I also don't think schappelle is racist either. Nor to I think Daniel Tosh is.

Wickabee
03-23-2012, 03:16 PM
Where in that post does it say "celebrated"? In that post, talking about the old men, I say it's tolerated.
The entertainment industry celebrates it.

Star_Cards
03-23-2012, 03:37 PM
fine... I didn't quote you saying celebrated. It was just a word that I used. maybe I should have said brushed off or ignored or tolerated or whatever. There are plenty of old white racists that people just tolerate and ignore. It's disappointing that you got hung up on one word from my post and didn't reply about the other stuff. oh well.

By the way, in your old man scenario, it's more than likely going to be a kid that stands up and says to either man that they are wrong to be like that due to a persons race. Kids these days are way more tolerant which is great. I

Wickabee
03-23-2012, 05:05 PM
fine... I didn't quote you saying celebrated. It was just a word that I used. maybe I should have said brushed off or ignored or tolerated or whatever. There are plenty of old white racists that people just tolerate and ignore. It's disappointing that you got hung up on one word from my post and didn't reply about the other stuff. oh well.

It would be pointless to reply to the other stuff since:
A - I already have.
B - The "one word" shows me you didn't understand my post and
C - You're basically repeating yourself over and over, which is forcing me to repeat myself over and over which is getting nowehere.

Yes I've watched Tosh et al, probably more than you, and yes I get what you're saying. What I'M saying is Daniel Tosh makes "racist" jokes in proper context and gets a non-network show. Chris Rock makes "racist" jokes in proper context and becomes an international superstar with movies, TV shows, albums, TV specials, books, etc, etc.

What is the difference? Skin colour, nothing else.

I'm all for equality on all levels. This, however, is NOT equality.