PDA

View Full Version : The US paid $50,000 in compensation for each villager killed in Afghanistan by gunman

pwaldo
03-25-2012, 06:34 PM
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0312/74435.html

theonedru
03-25-2012, 10:24 PM
Just hand over the murderer at let them do with him as they please, it's cheaper than paying them $ we do not have

mrveggieman
03-26-2012, 09:11 AM
just hand over the murderer at let them do with him as they please, it's cheaper than paying them $ we do not have

+1

ensbergcollector
03-26-2012, 11:22 AM
is no one bothered by the fact that, if this is reported true, the families were told the money came from president obama? Not the united states, not the us military, but president obama?

mrveggieman
03-26-2012, 11:45 AM
is no one bothered by the fact that, if this is reported true, the families were told the money came from president obama? Not the united states, not the us military, but president obama?

Who cares? The gov't already lied about their reasons for war. Does a lie about who is giving the money really mean a hill of beans at this point?

Star_Cards
03-26-2012, 12:23 PM
Who's claiming that they were told the money came from Obama? That seems very odd for them to be told that. If true it seems completely weird and really doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

habsheaven
03-26-2012, 12:28 PM
Highly unlikely that they were told the money was from President Obama. I would bet they have no idea who he even is. Their only context of America is the soldiers on the ground interacting with them every day.

RenegadeLonghorn
03-27-2012, 03:41 PM
Sorry for your loss. Here's some money.

:rolleyes:

bud7562
03-27-2012, 11:11 PM
is no one bothered by the fact that, if this is reported true, the families were told the money came from president obama? Not the united states, not the us military, but president obama? we are paying for that, not obama?????

ensbergcollector
03-28-2012, 12:36 AM
Highly unlikely that they were told the money was from President Obama. I would bet they have no idea who he even is. Their only context of America is the soldiers on the ground interacting with them every day.

this is an associated press release. any reason to think this is a lie?

Wickabee
03-28-2012, 01:09 AM
I'm wondering why it's even in the story. It's pretty tacked on with no other comment whatsoever.

habsheaven
03-28-2012, 08:49 AM

I can't see any reason why the AP would lie in their reporting but it doesn't mean what the reporter was told was in fact true. Regardless, I still contend that the statement itself is mute. I doubt villagers in Afghanistan have any idea who Obama is.

That all being said, even if some official did make that statement to the recipients I cannot imagine it was the brainchild of the administration.

Star_Cards
03-28-2012, 10:01 AM

not saying it was a lie. it's just very odd and makes no sense. It really doesn't say where the info of them being told the money was form Obama came from. Is this what recipients said or is this what a military official said to the writer.

ensbergcollector
03-28-2012, 11:32 AM
I can't see any reason why the AP would lie in their reporting but it doesn't mean what the reporter was told was in fact true. Regardless, I still contend that the statement itself is mute. I doubt villagers in Afghanistan have any idea who Obama is.

That all being said, even if some official did make that statement to the recipients I cannot imagine it was the brainchild of the administration.

you really don't think villagers in afghanistan know who obama is? the president of the us and the leader of the country who is fighting a war in your country. really?

also, really, you can't see this being the idea of the administration? Why not? Obama had to authorize this payment, which was not in keeping with normal united states policy. It seems like that would open the door for this type of statement.

for what it's worth, i wasn't trying to make a huge deal out of it, just thought it was strange and if true, a little bit misplaced.

mrveggieman
03-28-2012, 11:47 AM
you really don't think villagers in afghanistan know who obama is? the president of the us and the leader of the country who is fighting a war in your country. really?

also, really, you can't see this being the idea of the administration? Why not? Obama had to authorize this payment, which was not in keeping with normal united states policy. It seems like that would open the door for this type of statement.

for what it's worth, i wasn't trying to make a huge deal out of it, just thought it was strange and if true, a little bit misplaced.

It's a trivial issue. I'm sure some of them know who obama is but I doubt that any of them fully understand the logistics of the united states gov't. Hell alot of people here don't either. :winking0071: That being said they may think that president obama is the united states gov't and that he is our king similiar to how a lot of middle eastern countries have a king. If they were told that it comes directly out of obama's pockets or from the us taxpayers I couldn't care less and I would tend to believe that the families of the victims couldn't either. Nothing that Obama or the gov't can or will do is going to bring back any of the people that the gutless coward killed on that night.

habsheaven
03-28-2012, 12:22 PM

I don't see why the Afghans would be any more knowledgable about the US than the Iraqis were when you were in their country. 60 Minutes did a piece showing villagers pictures of the 9/11 attacks. None of them knew it was the World Trade Center. Most thought it was a picture taken in Baghdad. Of everyone they asked, interpreters, villagers, even members of the Iraqi military only one guy knew of it. I suspect people living in the major cities may be more knowledgable, but not villagers that live rural lives and speak a different language.

After thinking about it a little more, I think you may be right that that kind of policy change may indeed have made such a statement more plausible.