PDA

View Full Version : Missile Defense Talks

tutall
03-27-2012, 10:53 AM
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/video/president-obama-talks-missile-defense-with-russian-president-dmitri-medvedev-16002162?tab=9482931&section=2808950&playlist=2808979

Very interesting little video... I have not been able to find more of this to put it into context but it sounds like we should plan on nothing getting done over the next year that isnt politically helpful to Barack...

duane1969
03-27-2012, 10:58 AM
I was just reading about this on another website. Apparently Obama plans on sitting on his hands on major issues like this until he gets re-elected. Gotta love a politician that is more about self-preservation than doing his job or being honest about his true intentions.

AUTaxMan
03-27-2012, 11:01 AM
I'm sure Poland is thrilled with this development.

habsheaven
03-27-2012, 11:11 AM
This isn't news. He was stating the OBVIOUS. Of course a President in his final term will have more flexibility. If you don't like it, change your system of governance, get rid of the term limits on serving.

AUTaxMan
03-27-2012, 11:14 AM
This isn't news. He was stating the OBVIOUS. Of course a President in his final term will have more flexibility. If you don't like it, change your system of governance, get rid of the term limits on serving.

Is that because he will have more time to exercise?

tutall
03-27-2012, 11:38 AM

It is news because Obama ran on the premise of changing politics... Not business as usual

AUTaxMan
03-27-2012, 11:43 AM
It is news because Obama ran on the premise of changing politics... Not business as usual

Also the premises of (a) assuming his re-election and (b) hinting that he will attempt to exert more power if re-elected.

duane1969
03-27-2012, 12:03 PM
Also the premises of (a) assuming his re-election and (b) hinting that he will attempt to exert more power if re-elected.

I took it moreso as an implication that he will tell the American people one thing for election purposes, but do something else after elected.

Star_Cards
03-27-2012, 12:37 PM

I agree. This is how most politicians work. Keeping their job is typically their top priority. I don't agree with the practice, but it's a product of the system. I'm not exactly sure what Obama plans to do later that he won't do now. I guess we'll have to wait and see. As far as the missile defense, is it something we really need to do? Although I like that option better than starting a war with iran.

habsheaven
03-27-2012, 01:20 PM
I took it moreso as an implication that he will tell the American people one thing for election purposes, but do something else after elected.

I saw it more as saying "When I do not have to worry about doing what is politically right", I will be able to do the right thing."

pghin08
03-27-2012, 01:22 PM

What about Gingrich referring to "the end of my second term"?

habsheaven
03-27-2012, 01:30 PM
What about Gingrich referring to "the end of my second term"?

I would be more concerned if my current president did not assume/expect to be re-elected.

duane1969
03-27-2012, 01:53 PM
I saw it more as saying "When I do not have to worry about doing what is politically right", I will be able to do the right thing."

Those two should be the same.

habsheaven
03-27-2012, 02:27 PM
Those two should be the same.

In a bi-partisan world they would be.

duane1969
03-27-2012, 02:42 PM
In a bi-partisan world they would be.

Well, I hate to fall back to the same response, but it fits. Obama ran on a platform of changing the way things are done. He also ran on a platform of transparency.

Saying one thing to the American people just to get elected and saying something else to the Russians is neither changing the way things are done nor is it transparent.

habsheaven
03-27-2012, 03:19 PM
Well, I hate to fall back to the same response, but it fits. Obama ran on a platform of changing the way things are done. He also ran on a platform of transparency.

Saying one thing to the American people just to get elected and saying something else to the Russians is neither changing the way things are done nor is it transparent.

Did you expect him to "change" the way Republicans govern when he talked about change? What exactly did he say to the American people that was different from what he said to the Russians?

duane1969
03-27-2012, 05:43 PM
Did you expect him to "change" the way Republicans govern when he talked about change? What exactly did he say to the American people that was different from what he said to the Russians?

Ah yes, it is the Republican's fault. Jeez, some things never change.

So far he has said little except to try and shrug off the open mic comments. All things aside, if what he said when he thought nobody could hear is not that big of a deal then why didn't he say it to everyone? Why say it under his breath when he thinks nobody can hear if it is nothing?

habsheaven
03-27-2012, 06:10 PM
Ah yes, it is the Republican's fault. Jeez, some things never change.

So far he has said little except to try and shrug off the open mic comments. All things aside, if what he said when he thought nobody could hear is not that big of a deal then why didn't he say it to everyone? Why say it under his breath when he thinks nobody can hear if it is nothing?

The "it's all the Republican's fault complaint" is getting old from you. Bi-partisan is a 2-way street by it's very definition. Obama cannot "change" how the other side conducts itself. The least you can do is keep your "change" criticism aimed at legitimate conduct by the President.

As for the talking under his breathe. They were finishing up a private conversation before turning their attention to the gathering media that had just been let into the room.

This constant WEAK criticism of Obama just further proves how deperate his detractors are to find anything that will stick when they throw it against the wall.

pghin08
03-28-2012, 09:31 AM
The "it's all the Republican's fault complaint" is getting old from you. Bi-partisan is a 2-way street by it's very definition. Obama cannot "change" how the other side conducts itself. The least you can do is keep your "change" criticism aimed at legitimate conduct by the President.

As for the talking under his breathe. They were finishing up a private conversation before turning their attention to the gathering media that had just been let into the room.

This constant WEAK criticism of Obama just further proves how deperate his detractors are to find anything that will stick when they throw it against the wall.

As an Obama supporter though, I've been disappointed in this regard. You're right, he doesn't have the ability to change the Republican party, but he does have the ability not to mimic them. Which for the most part, he has. He had the best chance to take the bi-partisan route when the Simpson-Bowles Commission (which he put together), came up with a financial road forward that was pretty highly regarded. He duly dismissed it. For someone who built a lot of his campaign rhetoric around bi-partisanship, he looks suspiciously like all other politicians.