PDA

View Full Version : School expels student for swearing on Twitter during non-school hours

pwaldo
03-27-2012, 09:22 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/technology-blog/school-expels-student-swearing-twitter-during-non-school-230832581.html

From Facebook communications to tweets, you're no doubt already aware that nothing you do online is truly private. But should you have a reasonable expectation that your superiors aren't actively spying on you? That's the question a lot of people are asking after Garrett High School in Indiana expelled a high school senior for cursing over Twitter during off-school hours.

The tweet in question dropped the F-bomb a number of times, but was otherwise non-threatening. It was posted at 2:30 a.m. a time when the student in question was most assuredly not at school. Still, despite the evidence, the school stands by its decision to expel the student.

How did the school discover that one of its students dared to tweet an offending word during the middle of the night? Simple: Garrett High School's computer system actively tracks the social media presence of its students. Because the student logged on to his account during school hours, the system was able to find and report the foul-mouthed tweet, leading to the expulsion.

"I don't think the school or anybody should be looking at [my account]. Because it's my own personal stuff and it's none of their business," said the student, who will be attending an alternative high school to finish out his school year and earn his degree.

shrewsbury
03-27-2012, 09:28 PM
well we have a fine line here.

the internet is not private, and many don't get that. every key stroke you make in an email you send out or on the web is captured and kept.

from a business standpoint i can see an employer not wanting some cursing, sex talking, drug talking, idiot represent my company. and even though you're not at work, this is who you work for and make a living off of.

i also think a company has no right to be in your personal business while you are not at work, besides criminal activity. but again, the internet is not private.

from a school standpoint it is a bit weird, i would have to wonder what other issues the school has with this youngman.

DunkingDurant35
03-27-2012, 09:57 PM
I see he logged onto the account during school hours, so it was visible in the presence of people in a public building. Some punishment is understandably warranted there, then, even if it wasn't originally posted during school hours--but an expulsion? Seems rather much, especially since the language was incidental and not threatening.

theonedru
03-27-2012, 10:21 PM
I smell me a lawsuit

Wickabee
03-27-2012, 11:50 PM
well we have a fine line here.

the internet is not private, and many don't get that. every key stroke you make in an email you send out or on the web is captured and kept.

from a business standpoint i can see an employer not wanting some cursing, sex talking, drug talking, idiot represent my company. and even though you're not at work, this is who you work for and make a living off of.

i also think a company has no right to be in your personal business while you are not at work, besides criminal activity. but again, the internet is not private.

I half agree. If I'm on something like Facebook where I can (and let's say I do) advertise where I work, then yes you're absolutely right. If I talk down about the company or co-workers, then you're absolutely right. If, however, I'm just a goof who likes to swear online and I'm not doing anything detrimental to the company, just acting like a buffoon, that's none of their business and I'd file a wrongful termination suit so fast their heads would spin.

For example, if I was to post on my facebook that marijuana laws are bunk, dude, and we should totally, like, just %$#*ing spark up a J homie (did I get that right? It's been awhile since I took any lessons in "street") I don't see a problem with that.
However if, anywhere on that page I've marked Employer X as my current employer, then it becomes an issue. But unless my attachment to the company is advertised in the same place, only some (most) people who know me will know that I work for company X and make that connection.

from a school standpoint it is a bit weird, i would have to wonder what other issues the school has with this youngman.
That's my thought too. Not saying outright "HE MUST BE TO BLAME!" but it really wouldn't shock me to learn there's a history with this kid. If there isn't, then this is totally wrong, but this could be a case of straw that broke the camel's back

MadMan1978
03-28-2012, 05:46 AM
There is no fine line here PERIOD! This is as crazy a story I have ever heard

Rybowski
03-28-2012, 05:56 AM
I am happy to hear that the kid is enrolled in another high school so he can graduate. As for the other school, if he would of went posting the F word and associating with teachers or staff at the school, then I can see a punishment, and even then not an expulsion.

mrveggieman
03-28-2012, 09:03 AM
I smell me a lawsuit

Agree. If I were his lawyer I would eat this one up. First of all public schools are agents of the state which is an agent of the gov't. The first amendment prohibits the state from restricting citizens from exercising free speech. If he used his own private cell phone, laptop etc and wasn't using any school recources and did not threaten anyone associated with the school he should expect a payday from the school board.

Star_Cards
03-28-2012, 09:13 AM
This is ridiculous. Expulsion for cursing is completely crazy and getting in trouble for a post that you posted on time not at school is just as crazy. Social media is definitely not private, but what a kid doe outside of school has no bearing on his in school rules. I get criminal stuff could come into play, but cursing? are they expelling any kid who curses at school?

pghin08
03-28-2012, 09:20 AM
This is ridiculous. Expulsion for cursing is completely crazy and getting in trouble for a post that you posted on time not at school is just as crazy. Social media is definitely not private, but what a kid doe outside of school has no bearing on his in school rules. I get criminal stuff could come into play, but cursing? are they expelling any kid who curses at school?

I'd have been expelled pretty much the second I opened the door.