PDA

View Full Version : NYC School bans the words Dinosaur, Birthday, Dancing + more

pwaldo
03-28-2012, 08:55 PM
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/lifestyle/2012/03/nyc-bans-halloween-birthdays-aliens-and-more-on-school-tests/

Students in New York City’s public schools cramming for tests can delete words like birthdays, junk food, Halloween, dinosaur and even dancing from study lists.

References to such words have been banned from city-issued tests in an edict issued by the city’s Department of Education for fear the words could “appear biased” or “evoke unpleasant emotions” in students.

The department included the list of 50 banned topics in a recently issued request for proposals to companies interested in creating new versions of tests given to New York City students throughout the year to measure progress in English, math, science and social studies.

“Some of these topics may be perfectly acceptable in other contexts but do not belong in a city- or state-wide assessment,” reads the request, first obtained and reported on by the New York Post.

Dinosaurs, the Post reports, were banned because they reference evolution, which fundamentalist students might not agree with. Birthdays are not celebrated by Jehovah’s Witnesses and Halloween suggests paganism, so they are not allowed, and so is dancing because some sects object, according to the paper.

Also on the list of topics that companies are asked to stay away from are “creatures from outer space,” homes with swimming pools, computers, vermin, junk food, abuse, terrorism, divorce, any references to disease and holidays.”

A spokeswoman for the Department of Education told the Post the banned topics do not constitute censorship but a way for “students to complete practice exams without distraction.”

habsheaven
03-28-2012, 09:15 PM
Is April Fools early this year?

steelers#1fan
03-28-2012, 09:27 PM
Un friggin believable!

INTIMADATOR2007
03-28-2012, 09:52 PM
why would anyone want to live in places like NY or California , those 2 states come up with some of the most dumbest stuff i've ever seen .

Jazzer540
03-28-2012, 10:00 PM
Ha! Nice! It's like a few years back a lady sued a company because the customer service lady said at the end "Have a Blessed Day." She got offended and sued-and won! Really? That's being religious? I don't care who you are or what religion you believe in... I will always take a "blessed" day. And again.. ha! Stupid!

pspstatus
03-28-2012, 11:12 PM
This is a joke right?

boba
03-28-2012, 11:17 PM
This is crazy!

If this isn't a joke...

mrveggieman
03-29-2012, 08:22 AM
It looks like somebody is taking political correctness a tad bit too far.

duane1969
03-29-2012, 08:28 AM
Political correctness run amok.

Greengoblin782
03-29-2012, 08:31 AM
Really....

hawk2618
03-29-2012, 08:38 AM
I'm not really stunned at this news.I see or hear something unbelievable everyday.As soon as I log online,theres always a topic on yahoos top 10 stories that I shake my head to.Then, I sit and read the article,lean back in my chair and say"And people wonder why the world has hit the toilet bowl"?

pghin08
03-29-2012, 08:42 AM
Dancing, really? People think the word dancing could be offensive? I'm a terrible dancer, so I may offend people who watch me dance, but I don't think the word itself could be construed badly.

hawk2618
03-29-2012, 12:05 PM
Dancing, really? People think the word dancing could be offensive? I'm a terrible dancer, so I may offend people who watch me dance, but I don't think the word itself could be construed badly.
I got a chuckle out of your response.....Good Job!

*censored*
03-29-2012, 02:40 PM
My grandmother would be offended by dancing. She was a hardcore Lutheran. Dancing was a sin. So was drinking. Smoking was in a gray area of sin/non-sin. And playing cards was evil. Music other than hymns was a direct route to disappointing God as well.

Wickabee
03-29-2012, 02:43 PM
Re: "Birthday"
I don't think you will ever find a Jehovah's Witness who is offended by the word, which leads me to believe the whole thing was dreamed up by a politician who doesn't have a $#^%ing clue.

BGT Masters
03-29-2012, 02:58 PM
So are we to deny the fact that dinosaurs existed for millions of years? Another step of the coddling and babying of Americas. So we're going from freedom of speech too? Since it might offend someone we can't say anything these days.

Wickabee
03-29-2012, 03:00 PM
So are we to deny the fact that dinosaurs existed for millions of years? Another step of the coddling and babying of Americas. So we're going from freedom of speech too? Since it might offend someone we can't say anything these days.
That's offensive. I'm suing.

*censored*
03-29-2012, 03:05 PM

That's offensive too.

Here's your summons. You're going down.

BGT Masters
03-29-2012, 03:07 PM

You'll have to wait your turn. There's a long line.

angel0430
03-29-2012, 03:13 PM
This is one of the funniest thing that I have ever read. I guess the point was to get away from lawsuits. At present time people are suing for the most simple stuff. I guess their idea of saving their behinds from lawsuits backfired...lol

Wickabee
03-29-2012, 04:14 PM
That's offensive too.

Here's your summons. You're going down.
I'm offended by your being offended so here's your counter-suit,

pghin08
03-29-2012, 04:19 PM
I'm offended by your being offended so here's your counter-suit,

I'm offended by you saying suit. Some poor people can't afford to buy suits. You really need to watch it with such harsh rhetoric.

BGT Masters
03-29-2012, 04:20 PM
I'm too poor to sue. So I am going to sue you, for suing me, so I have enough money for you to take, when you sue me. I must warn you though, I am a dinosaur and live in NY so you might not have a right to sue something as offensive as me besides I don't think NY would recognize me as existing and its hard to sue something that doesn't exist.

Wickabee
03-29-2012, 04:30 PM
I'm too poor to sue. So I am going to sue you, for suing me, so I have enough money for you to take, when you sue me. I must warn you though, I am a dinosaur and live in NY so you might not have a right to sue something as offensive as me besides I don't think NY would recognize me as existing and its hard to sue something that doesn't exist.

You win this round...

BGT Masters
03-29-2012, 04:34 PM
I can't win this round. I don't exist. I was never in the fight. You win by default.

*censored*
03-29-2012, 06:53 PM
Life ain't easy for a boy named Sue.

Maybe he oughta sue.

AUTaxMan
03-29-2012, 07:04 PM

How can dinosaurs have existed for millions of years if the earth is only 9,000 years old?

mattleegee
03-29-2012, 07:08 PM
tests dont matter anyway

BGT Masters
03-29-2012, 07:10 PM
How can dinosaurs have existed for millions of years if the earth is only 9,000 years old?

Good point. Parallel universes and splits in the space time continuum would be my guess.

Wickabee
03-29-2012, 09:00 PM
God can do anything. Even retroactively place dinosaur bones in the Earth.
Why?
Our is not to know. He works in mysterious ways...

BAM! Dinosaurs back on tests!

I remember studying dinosaurs in grade 4. This rule would've made for interesting tests.

AUTaxMan
03-29-2012, 09:34 PM
God can do anything. Even retroactively place dinosaur bones in the Earth.
Why?
Our is not to know. He works in mysterious ways...

BAM! Dinosaurs back on tests!

I remember studying dinosaurs in grade 4. This rule would've made for interesting tests.

You know there's no such thing as a triceratops or a brontosaurus any more, right? If not, sorry for crushing your childhood.

Wickabee
03-29-2012, 09:40 PM
nm. I think I just got it.

pspstatus
03-29-2012, 11:01 PM
You know there's no such thing as a triceratops or a brontosaurus any more, right? If not, sorry for crushing your childhood.

But the Brontosaurus is my favorite dinosaur. Little Foot for life.

BGT Masters
03-29-2012, 11:13 PM
You didn't just pull out a land before time reference?

AUTaxMan
03-29-2012, 11:17 PM

I saw it in the theater.

BGT Masters
03-29-2012, 11:24 PM
Rule #1. We don't go around talking about watching Land Before Time. In unrelated news I think I might have a movie marathon night this weekend. Non dinosaur related I swear.

70sbestcardboard
03-29-2012, 11:29 PM
Dear NYC Dept of Education,
I wish to invite you to a birthday party. The party is for my ex-wife. Yes we are divorced but we have agreed to throw one last shin-dig because her birthday falls on Halloween. Come dressed as a dinosaur as there will be dancing and junk food will be served. You will find directions on the last page of this computer generated invite. Look for the house with the swimming pool. Thanks for failing this country

pspstatus
03-29-2012, 11:30 PM

I did indeed. That's just how I roll. :):

pspstatus
03-29-2012, 11:32 PM
Rule #1. We don't go around talking about watching Land Before Time. In unrelated news I think I might have a movie marathon night this weekend. Non dinosaur related I swear.

Oh come on man it's like the prehistoric Bambi. Don't make me bust out the Denver the Last Dinosaur references.