PDA

View Full Version : Suffolk University - Fox News Most Trusted News Source

mikesilvia
03-29-2012, 09:19 AM
I thought this was interested. A Suffolk University poll asked who is the most trusted news source:

FOX News 28%
CNN 18%
Undecided -12%
NBC 10%
Other -10%
MSNBC 7%

http://www.suffolk.edu/images/content/FINAL.Suffolk.University.National.Survey.Marginals .May.17.2011.pdf

The most interesting part of this is more Democrats were polled than Republicans (39% to 34%). Suffolk University also has Obama leading Romney by 10 percent, so it's not some right-wing- polling service.

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/polls/218865-poll-obama-holds-double-digit-lead-over-romney-nationally

Thoughts from my Fox News hating friends? If you think MSNBC is a trusted source or are in the DEEP minority.

mrveggieman
03-29-2012, 09:31 AM
I have worked in market research. You can rigg data to make it say whatever you want it to say. Those numbers mean absolutely nothing to me.

pghin08
03-29-2012, 09:58 AM
I've come to the conclusion that they all suck. I go to the Wall St. Journal, BBC and the wires (AP/Reuters) for my news.

mikesilvia
03-29-2012, 10:04 AM
I have worked in market research. You can rigg data to make it say whatever you want it to say. Those numbers mean absolutely nothing to me.

Very open minded of you.

mikesilvia
03-29-2012, 10:06 AM
I've come to the conclusion that they all suck. I go to the Wall St. Journal, BBC and the wires (AP/Reuters) for my news.

I rarely get my news from the TV. I may watch 1 hour of Fox and 1 hour of CNN a week. I get my news from Drudge Report, Huffington Post and Google News. I find Google News to be the best because you can read multiple angles on every story.

pghin08
03-29-2012, 10:11 AM
I rarely get my news from the TV. I may watch 1 hour of Fox and 1 hour of CNN a week. I get my news from Drudge Report, Huffington Post and Google News. I find Google News to be the best because you can read multiple angles on every story.

If you like that kind of stuff, you may also like www.realclearpolitics.com

They always do a great job of writing their own pieces and pulling good articles from a bunch of different places.

mikesilvia
03-29-2012, 10:13 AM
If you like that kind of stuff, you may also like www.realclearpolitics.com

They always do a great job of writing their own pieces and pulling good articles from a bunch of different places.

Yep, I read them as well and the Wall Street Journal. I usually find them using Google News.

mrveggieman
03-29-2012, 10:20 AM
Very open minded of you.

I'm open minded enough to know hogwash when I see it. :winking0071:

mikesilvia
03-29-2012, 10:31 AM
I'm open minded enough to know hogwash when I see it.

So, if the data came out confirming some new source that you watch, it would be solid, accurate data? Or are all polls hogwash? The same polling folks had Obama ahead of Romney by 10 points. How do explain that hogwash? :)

tsjct
03-29-2012, 10:35 AM
Fox news is the ONLY news that is fair and balanced. They do have both sides in almost all conversations which other news channels rarely do. I try and watch the others but its so far to the left i get so pissed in just minutes and have to turn it. Its painful to watch the Liberals.

duane1969
03-29-2012, 10:37 AM
I'm open minded enough to know hogwash when I see it. :winking0071:

Coming from the guy who regularly references HuffPost and Islamaphobia, you clearly do not.

pghin08
03-29-2012, 10:37 AM
Fox news is the ONLY news that is fair and balanced. They do have both sides in almost all conversations which other news channels rarely do. I try and watch the others but its so far to the left i get so pissed in just minutes and have to turn it. Its painful to watch the Liberals.

Saying Fox News is balanced is like saying MSNBC is balanced.

mikesilvia
03-29-2012, 10:38 AM

If you listen to the left, it's all right-wing hate and one sided. That's because they dismiss it without actually watching it. If you only watch clips on YouTube, you don't understand Fox News. If you watch an hour of O'Reilly you see that he presents data and then brings in the opposing side. That's why I watch his show when I can.

MSNBC had Sharpton go and speak at a rally and then sit near the rally to conduct his show. How fair and balanced is that?

mrveggieman
03-29-2012, 10:42 AM
So, if the data came out confirming some new source that you watch, it would be solid, accurate data? Or are all polls hogwash? The same polling folks had Obama ahead of Romney by 10 points. How do explain that hogwash? :)

Most people who put polls out there have an agenda. No one is going to do a poll just because. If I site that I liked put out a poll I would take a look at it but at the end of the day still take it with a grain of salt.

duane1969
03-29-2012, 10:44 AM
Most people who put polls out there have an agenda. No one is going to do a poll just because. If I site that I liked put out a poll I would take a look at it but at the end of the day still take it with a grain of salt.

Did you read this part?

The most interesting part of this is more Democrats were polled than Republicans (39% to 34%). Suffolk University also has Obama leading Romney by 10 percent, so it's not some right-wing- polling service.

A poll of more Dems than Rep that has Obama beating Romney. That contradicts your claim of a slanted poll.

mrveggieman
03-29-2012, 10:49 AM
Did you read this part?

A poll of more Dems than Rep that has Obama beating Romney. That contradicts your claim of a slanted poll.

Are they really registered as dems/reps? Were they leaning towards one side or another? Do they only share some republican or democratic views. Everyone knows that I am against abortion. If I were polled I'm sure they could find some way to rig the data to say that I am a republican. Again these polls are completely useless a lot of the time.

duane1969
03-29-2012, 10:51 AM
Are they really registered as dems/reps? Were they leaning towards one side or another? Do they only share some republican or democratic views. Everyone knows that I am against abortion. If I were polled I'm sure they could find some way to rig the data to say that I am a republican. Again these polls are completely useless a lot of the time.

Fair enough. Point taken.

Rockman
03-29-2012, 11:03 AM

And this is why Foxnews was named the most trusted news poll in this survey with a whopping 28%. They present an us vs them (conservative vs liberal) mentality better than anyone else. If Fox News is the exception to the Mainstream media, then the mainstream media is still trusted over Fox News by almost a 2-1 margin.

Now if I wanted to play Spinny McSpinster I could say it's surprising that the mainstream media is more trusted by almost 2-1 when the discrepancy between Republicans and Liberals polled is much closer to 50/50.

Mike you're smart enough to know better.

mikesilvia
03-29-2012, 11:06 AM

So, the guys like Zogby that predict the Presidential elections almost to the exact results are hogwash? You can't dismiss polls because you disagree with the results. Polls are extremely accurate. These are not polls put on websites that can easily be manipulated.

Where you argument completely falls apart is that you assume only Republicans would state that they are Democrats and Democrats would NOT do the same. This shows your bias. More Democrats were polled and they picked Fox News as the most trusted source. To think that some how Republicans would get randomly called and then lie about there affiliation, while Democrats would be completely honest says a lot about your bias.

You forget how Democrats came out in drove in the GOP primary to vote against Romney, trying to change the outcome. Republicans did the same in 2008.

mikesilvia
03-29-2012, 11:07 AM
Rockman, when was the last time you changed your avatar! I remember that in 2008! :)

mrveggieman
03-29-2012, 11:12 AM
So, the guys like Zogby that predict the Presidential elections almost to the exact results are hogwash? You can't dismiss polls because you disagree with the results. Polls are extremely accurate. These are not polls put on websites that can easily be manipulated.

Where you argument completely falls apart is that you assume only Republicans would state that they are Democrats and Democrats would NOT do the same. This shows your bias. More Democrats were polled and they picked Fox News as the most trusted source. To think that some how Republicans would get randomly called and then lie about there affiliation, while Democrats would be completely honest says a lot about your bias.

You forget how Democrats came out in drove in the GOP primary to vote against Romney, trying to change the outcome. Republicans did the same in 2008.

I'm not saying that all polls are garbage but you have to take them with a grain of salt. If the presidential election polls in 2000 and 2004 were suspected of being rigged why would it be far fetched to suggest that a political poll that goes on any biased website or newsgroup can't be rigged?

hawk2618
03-29-2012, 11:13 AM
Not to be funny here,but I rarely watch news anymore due to all the negativity on it.I"d rather watch a movie with my daughter or be outside to play catch with my 2 sons.I get my news from yahoo when I turn my pc on in the morning.If it didn't hit their top 10,can't be too important for me to know!~~Dave C.

mrveggieman
03-29-2012, 11:17 AM
Not to be funny here,but I rarely watch news anymore due to all the negativity on it.I"d rather watch a movie with my daughter or be outside to play catch with my 2 sons.I get my news from yahoo when I turn my pc on in the morning.If it didn't hit their top 10,can't be too important for me to know!~~Dave C.

Good answer. :thumb:

habsheaven
03-29-2012, 11:33 AM
Your poll only adds up to 85%. Not sure why, considering there is an "other" option. Where did the other 15% go? What that poll tells me is that ONLY 28% regard Fox News as the most trustworthy. The other 57% trust the MSM the most. SO I guess it is a very accurate poll (minus the missing 15% and the margin of error).

mikesilvia
03-29-2012, 11:39 AM
Your poll only adds up to 85%. Not sure why, considering there is an "other" option. Where did the other 15% go? What that poll tells me is that ONLY 28% regard Fox News as the most trustworthy. The other 57% trust the MSM the most. SO I guess it is a very accurate poll (minus the missing 15% and the margin of error).

I didn't add the others. I just grabbed the top ones. The others are in the PDF link I added.

habsheaven
03-29-2012, 11:44 AM
I didn't add the others. I just grabbed the top ones. The others are in the PDF link I added.

Okay, so 72% surveyed DO NOT believe Fox News to be the most trustworthy source. I agree completely!

duane1969
03-29-2012, 12:06 PM
Okay, so 72% surveyed DO NOT believe Fox News to be the most trustworthy source. I agree completely!

It's all how you slant it. By the same measure, as many polled trust FoxNews as those who trust CNN and NBC combined.

I think it is safe to say that this poll included a lot of people who have little to no knowledge of politics. 29% never heard of Michelle Bachmann, 16.7% never heard of Ron Paul, 39% never heard of Rick Santorum, 18.6% never heard of Harry Reid...

pghin08
03-29-2012, 12:09 PM
It's all how you slant it. By the same measure, as many polled trust FoxNews as those who trust CNN and NBC combined.

I think it is safe to say that this poll included a lot of people who have little to no knowledge of politics. 29% never heard of Michelle Bachmann, 16.7% never heard of Ron Paul, 39% never heard of Rick Santorum, 18.6% never heard of Harry Reid...

Geez. Did they find these people in caves or something?

habsheaven
03-29-2012, 12:10 PM
Does the poll take into account that CNN is a national station unlike CBS, NBC and Fox that have affiliates all over the country producing nightly news shows?

duane1969
03-29-2012, 12:13 PM
Does the poll take into account that CNN is a national station unlike CBS, NBC and Fox that have affiliates all over the country producing nightly news shows?

CBS, NBC, ABC and Fox all have national nightly news shows as well as local.

duane1969
03-29-2012, 12:16 PM

Actually I read a lot of the poll and I realized that this poll is nearly a year old. It was taken in May 2011, before or just as people like Bachmann and Santorum were coming into the spotlight. That doesn't explain not knowing who Huckabee, Paul and Reid are.

Star_Cards
03-29-2012, 01:27 PM
I think it says more that most people think they are all out for their own ratings and don't really trust any of the 24 hour news channels completely.

Star_Cards
03-29-2012, 01:36 PM

If fox shows a balanced view then you should be used to also seeing far left views and not get so angry when you see them in fox. :)

but seriously I think people will obviously flock to a news channel that has more of their view than not. That's just human nature. The way I look at it, the news channels are out to get ratings and talk about things that they want to put out there and that goes for their views. I don't watch a lot of the 24 hour shows and when I do I know what is reported as fact and what is reported as opinion. No one should rely on one single outlet for their news. Looking around at various outlets is the true meaning of fair and balanced in my opinion.

Rockman
03-29-2012, 01:44 PM
Rockma, when was the last time you changed your avatar! I remember that in 2008! :)

Maybe Fall 2004. Good work defending your claim. :thumb:

mikesilvia
03-29-2012, 11:05 PM
Maybe Fall 2004. Good work defending your claim.

I think we may have to do an avatar bet or something. I haven't changed mine in a log time either.

AUTaxMan
03-29-2012, 11:16 PM

Sounds like your average American voters to me.

pghin08
03-30-2012, 08:39 AM

Lol. That's good stuff.

duane1969
03-30-2012, 11:25 AM

+1

Most voters have no idea who they vote for. It is shocking to hear how many people will admit that they vote a straight ticket without even looking at who is running.

Wickabee
03-30-2012, 03:02 PM
Is this saying Fox is the most trusted or most trustworthy

Those are two very, very different things.

MadMan1978
03-30-2012, 04:02 PM
I think is because more people who are Republican watch news then other groups

AUTaxMan
03-30-2012, 04:03 PM

They are certainly more well-informed on the issues than democrats.

mikesilvia
03-30-2012, 04:05 PM

Michael, more Democrats were surveyed in this poll. So, there goes that argument. :)

habsheaven
03-30-2012, 06:12 PM
Michael, more Democrats were surveyed in this poll. So, there goes that argument. :)

The reason 78% did not pick Fox is supported by the fact more Democrats were polled. Democratic viewers are spread out over the spectrum of mainstream media outlets whereas Republicans stick to the right wing rhetoric of Fox.

MadMan1978
03-30-2012, 07:41 PM
They are certainly more well-informed on the issues than democrats.
I 1000% disagree with that

MadMan1978
03-30-2012, 07:48 PM
Sorry Mike i dont see your logic on that
D-39%
R-34%

and the remaining ?
I would highly assume the 39% of democrats are spread across all of those

while Fox news is more straight forward and on the conservative side...as i would argue that the 34% would side more with Fox then any of the others listed...

Wickabee
03-30-2012, 07:56 PM
I 1000% disagree with that
I 1000% agree with this.