PDA

View Full Version : Talk about your local/cultural food!

pghin08
03-29-2012, 01:14 PM
A few of us kind of hijacked a thread up in the P&R section and started talking about some customary foods in our towns/countries, etc. So talk about what kind of odd food you enjoy that's close to you ethnically or geographically!

For me, I'm a Pittsburgh guy, and I'll always love Primanti's Sandwiches (meat/french fries/vinegar-based cole slaw right on the sandwich). They originally created them for truckers who were going through Pittsburgh, as they were looking for a full meal that they could eat while they drive.

So let's hear some of your favorites, because I'm hungry!

mrveggieman
03-29-2012, 01:24 PM
Well since I'm currently residing in the south, soul food is real popular down here. I don't eat meat obviously but I love the veggies. I just make sure that they are made w/o any meat. I have a thing for mexican food and my favorite spots are moes and willys which is a local version of moes.

boba
03-29-2012, 01:27 PM
I live in rural Colorado.

So really my only local delicacy is rocky mountain oysters, and it really doesn't appeal to me :D:

I guess we do have a lot of local organic beef, I do enjoy that.

pghin08
03-29-2012, 02:13 PM
Well since I'm currently residing in the south, soul food is real popular down here. I don't eat meat obviously but I love the veggies. I just make sure that they are made w/o any meat. I have a thing for mexican food and my favorite spots are moes and willys which is a local version of moes.

I love soul food. There's not much better than a good succotash!

*censored*
03-29-2012, 04:02 PM
North Texas' specialties all revolve around barbecue, mostly brisket.

I grew up near Cleveland. Mostly eastern European stuff. Love pierogies and stuffed cabbage.

In college, I lived just off the edge of Chinatown in Boston. Vietnamese food everywhere. If you haven't tried it, drop everything and do so now. Imagine the spices found in Thai and Chinese foods combined with cooking techniques of the French.

Favorite items: Pho bo tai nam (beef noodle soup with rare steak and well-done flank), goi cuan (summer rolls, or fresh spring rolls), banh mi (sandwich on a baguette with various toppings; my favorite is either fried egg or chicken with carrot, cilantro, onion, and either mayonnaise or a sort of vinaigrette style dressing), and anything with lemongrass.

Sriracha is the greatest condiment ever created.

And for the herbivores out there (mrveggieman, looking in your direction with this one), there are a LOT of vegetarian dishes out there as well in Vietnamese cuisine due to the heavy Buddhist tradition in Southeast Asia.

Thought I love Mexican food as well, my favorite foods are mostly Asian ones. Love Indian (curries and vindaloos, naan, can't go wrong with tandoori chicken either, and chai is the best hot drink ever), Thai (Tom kha kai, phat khi mao, phat thai), some Malaysian, Chinese, and Japanese too.

Speaking of Japanese food, any sushi fans in this thread?

pghin08
03-29-2012, 04:07 PM
North Texas' specialties all revolve around barbecue, mostly brisket.

I grew up near Cleveland. Mostly eastern European stuff. Love pierogies and stuffed cabbage.

In college, I lived just off the edge of Chinatown in Boston. Vietnamese food everywhere. If you haven't tried it, drop everything and do so now. Imagine the spices found in Thai and Chinese foods combined with cooking techniques of the French.

Favorite items: Pho bo tai nam (beef noodle soup with rare steak and well-done flank), goi cuan (summer rolls, or fresh spring rolls), banh mi (sandwich on a baguette with various toppings; my favorite is either fried egg or chicken with carrot, cilantro, onion, and either mayonnaise or a sort of vinaigrette style dressing), and anything with lemongrass.

Sriracha is the greatest condiment ever created.

And for the herbivores out there (mrveggieman, looking in your direction with this one), there are a LOT of vegetarian dishes out there as well in Vietnamese cuisine due to the heavy Buddhist tradition in Southeast Asia.

Thought I love Mexican food as well, my favorite foods are mostly Asian ones. Love Indian (curries and vindaloos, naan, can't go wrong with tandoori chicken either, and chai is the best hot drink ever), Thai (Tom kha kai, phat khi mao, phat thai), some Malaysian, Chinese, and Japanese too.

Speaking of Japanese food, any sushi fans in this thread?

I have this fancy burger place that I frequent, and I have them put sriracha on my burger every time.

mrveggieman
03-29-2012, 04:19 PM
A1 steak sauce works for me. Perfect for veggie burgers and mashed/baked potatoes.

*censored*
03-29-2012, 04:22 PM
On sriracha... http://theoatmeal.com/comics/sriracha