PDA

View Full Version : Michigan teacher disciplined for not allowing boss to view her facebook page

mrveggieman
04-03-2012, 10:37 AM
http://abcnews.go.com/Business/michigan-teacher-disciplined-providing-access-facebook-page/story?id=16056231

gladdyontherise
04-03-2012, 10:50 AM
Not that I agree or disagree with this, but at the same time, if she has nothing to hide why not let the person view the page?

People should be educated enough by now to know that they shouldn't put anything they wouldn't want their boss to see on a facebook page.

shrewsbury
04-03-2012, 10:51 AM
[QUOTE]People should be educated enough by now to know that they shouldn't put anything they wouldn't want their boss to see on a facebook page[QUOTE]

+1

meatballcobb
04-03-2012, 10:54 AM
my work will not let anyone in managment including floor bosses who most of us have been freinds with for years be freinds or associated with out side of work

i feel these companies are trying to become a hitler like organization were they feel they need to control even their employees out of work

not acceptable at all

angel0430
04-03-2012, 11:01 AM
This is not acceptable. My life after work is no one business as lon as I am not doing something illegal. I do not have to give access to no one if I do not want to and that does not mean that I am doing something wrong. I have a family and I do not want people that are not really close to me seeing my family pics.

ensbergcollector
04-03-2012, 11:38 AM
one of the school districts where i live will not let teachers have a facebook account. it is in their contracts

duane1969
04-03-2012, 12:31 PM
Today it is your Facebook. Tomorrow it is your email account. Next month it will be your text messages. In a few years your employer will require monitoring software on your personal computer.

Police states start with small things. They take away something little or force you to do something small. Gradually the requirements get bigger and bigger. Then one day you wake up and you need a government official's approval just to walk out your front door without being executed for treason.

Some will joke or laugh at this concept, but in 20 years those same people who laughed will look back and say "Remember the good old days when we just had to let them see our Facebook page to get a job?"

mrveggieman
04-03-2012, 12:37 PM
I don't speak about my job on my facebook. Hell some people on facebook may think that I don't have one since I hardly ever talk about working. So since I am not discussing and work related business on my facebook what I do on there in no way reflects on who I work for therefore it is none of their business. If they asked about something on my facebook the first thing I would ask is how is this relevant to my job performance?

Monsterx
04-03-2012, 12:40 PM
police states start with small things. They take away something little or force you to do something small.
ndaa!

Monsterx
04-03-2012, 12:48 PM
Man, what a freind of the family that guy was!

theonedru
04-03-2012, 01:11 PM
" a parent (not of one of her students) showed the photo to the superintendent, calling it unprofessional and offensive. "

This parent has some real issues if they find a picture of pants offensive.... Some people need to get a life, Do they get disgusted every time they see their other half undress?

angel0430
04-03-2012, 02:32 PM
Some people do not have a life and the only thing they can do is trying to ruin others people lives. The funny thing is that the school listened to this parent.

pspstatus
04-03-2012, 02:47 PM
The only time an employer should be able to have access to your personal life is if it starts infringing on your work life. If a company required me to give up my personal privacy that would be a company I'd tell to go scratch.

Star_Cards
04-03-2012, 03:15 PM
I get that teachers need to be careful what they put on their pages or at least their security and who are their FB friends, but it's not much different than what most other normal people follow as guidelines. An employer should have zero right to take action if an employee doesn't let them see their FB page.

shrewsbury
04-03-2012, 03:54 PM
If they asked about something on my facebook the first thing I would ask is how is this relevant to my job performance?

what do you think about employers giving credit checks or drug tests?

shrewsbury
04-03-2012, 03:57 PM
a picture with your pants down to your ankles and titled"thinking of you" can easily be deemed as sexual

duane1969
04-03-2012, 06:26 PM
For record, here is the terrible sexual picture that she posted.

http://abcnews.go.com/images/Business/ht_kimberly_hester2_jp_120402_wblog.jpg

Sorry but I have seen much, much, much worse on ABC Family television shows.

pspstatus
04-03-2012, 06:28 PM
For record, here is the terrible sexual picture that she posted.

http://abcnews.go.com/images/Business/ht_kimberly_hester2_jp_120402_wblog.jpg

Sorry but I have seen much, much, much worse on ABC Family television shows.

This is a situation where people really just need to grow up.

mrveggieman
04-04-2012, 07:57 AM

I don't have a problem with credit checks if my position involved me handling handling/involving company money such as an accountant, I don't use drugs so I have no problem with a drug test either but what I do on facebook is my own business. This is dangerous territory. What's to stop an employeer from finding out something that is legally protected that you have posted on your facebook (religion, maritial status, sexual preference) and firing you over it? Especially in a right to work state with no union protection.

AUTaxMan
04-04-2012, 08:28 AM
A compromise would be to have a policy in place requiring employees to have their security preferences set to where only friends could see your page.

Star_Cards
04-04-2012, 08:34 AM

I don't know of a reason why an employer would need to run a credit check. If I were being hired for a job and they asked I'd question why and then I guess I'd have to make the decision of how bad I wanted the job. If I already had the job and they asked I'd more than likely fight it.

As far as drug tests, I don't do any illegal drugs so I haven't looked at that much. I can see the need if a person runs equipment that's insured by the company and could be effected. Typically though if a person can keep their drug use out of the office I think I'm on the side of them not needing to test for drugs. Still not certain on my stance on this one.

AUTaxMan
04-04-2012, 10:40 AM
I don't know of a reason why an employer would need to run a credit check. If I were being hired for a job and they asked I'd question why and then I guess I'd have to make the decision of how bad I wanted the job. If I already had the job and they asked I'd more than likely fight it.

As far as drug tests, I don't do any illegal drugs so I haven't looked at that much. I can see the need if a person runs equipment that's insured by the company and could be effected. Typically though if a person can keep their drug use out of the office I think I'm on the side of them not needing to test for drugs. Still not certain on my stance on this one.

Terrible credit usually displays a lack of judgment. I can understand the reason for it. Companies who receive tons of applications need an objective basis for weeding out those most likely to not be quality employees. Sure, you are going to cut some folks who might be decent, but that's just how it goes. It's the cost of expediency in the hiring process. Just like some law firms won't even interview people unless they have a certain GPA in law school. It's just part of a weeding out process.

MadMan1978
04-04-2012, 10:49 AM
Today it is your Facebook. Tomorrow it is your email account. Next month it will be your text messages. In a few years your employer will require monitoring software on your personal computer.

Police states start with small things. They take away something little or force you to do something small. Gradually the requirements get bigger and bigger. Then one day you wake up and you need a government official's approval just to walk out your front door without being executed for treason.

Some will joke or laugh at this concept, but in 20 years those same people who laughed will look back and say "Remember the good old days when we just had to let them see our Facebook page to get a job?"
wow , I do agree with you

For what reason would ANY employer need to see your Facebook page? In fact what good will it do? What are they looking for?

And please dont give the old stale elitist argument What do you have to hide...

mrveggieman
04-04-2012, 10:52 AM
Terrible credit usually displays a lack of judgment.

Sometimes but not always so. What if someone had medical bills, id theft, job loss or some other type of emergency beyond their control? Does that show a lack of judgement.

Monsterx
04-04-2012, 10:52 AM
I don't have a problem with credit checks if my position involved me handling handling/involving company money such as an accountant, I don't use drugs so I have no problem with a drug test either but what I do on facebook is my own business.
That's the same thing. It's like saying "I don't have a FB acct, so I don't care that employers are asking for it." It's invasive into your personal life either way.

MadMan1978
04-04-2012, 10:53 AM
This is normal business

Drugs are illegal and i full understand the drug testing...

A number of jobs I have applied for required credit checks...these are done for several reason besides getting a credit score.

mrveggieman
04-04-2012, 10:58 AM
That's the same thing. It's like saying "I don't have a FB acct, so I don't care that employers are asking for it." It's invasive into your personal life either way.

Believe it or not several years ago when I was much younger and just starting out I worked for a particular business. Most of the guys who worked there were either fresh out of jail or on there way to jail and a lot of them were involved in the drug game. Some dealers most of them users. The funny part about it was that most of them gossiped like little girls about who was on drugs. I went to the boss man and said since everyone likes to spread rumors about who is on drugs why not drug test everyone and put the results out for all to see. He told me if he started drug testing and suspending and or firing people for being on drugs he wouldn't have a company left.

Monsterx
04-04-2012, 11:36 AM
Believe it or not several years ago when I was much younger and just starting out I worked for a particular business. Most of the guys who worked there were either fresh out of jail or on there way to jail and a lot of them were involved in the drug game. Some dealers most of them users. The funny part about it was that most of them gossiped like little girls about who was on drugs. I went to the boss man and said since everyone likes to spread rumors about who is on drugs why not drug test everyone and put the results out for all to see. He told me if he started drug testing and suspending and or firing people for being on drugs he wouldn't have a company left.

Not to mention the lawsuits he would've faced, unless specified in the handbook that tests can be done w/o cause.

mrveggieman
04-04-2012, 12:04 PM
Not to mention the lawsuits he would've faced, unless specified in the handbook that tests can be done w/o cause.

I doubt any of those morons that I used to work with would have the recources let alone the intellegence to contact a lawyer. They were only interested in getting their next fix not some long dragged out lawsuit.

Star_Cards
04-04-2012, 02:08 PM
Terrible credit usually displays a lack of judgment. I can understand the reason for it. Companies who receive tons of applications need an objective basis for weeding out those most likely to not be quality employees. Sure, you are going to cut some folks who might be decent, but that's just how it goes. It's the cost of expediency in the hiring process. Just like some law firms won't even interview people unless they have a certain GPA in law school. It's just part of a weeding out process.

I get that it can display a lack of judgement, but I know some people that have a lot of debt and they are great at their jobs. I'd also expect that some people are in debt and it's not a cause of having poor judgement. I just think that credit scores are something a potential employer shouldn't be able to require a person to give them.

duwal
04-04-2012, 03:55 PM

well yeah I mean just look at this site and how it polices what people say or locks a thread if someone says something thats frowned upon

AUTaxMan
04-04-2012, 04:25 PM
well yeah I mean just look at this site and how it polices what people say or locks a thread if someone says something thats frowned upon

I think it's just one mod in particular.

MadMan1978
04-04-2012, 05:19 PM
If you have any issues with Staff please know you can speak up any time as well you can email Duane or myself , or even email the GM , Roger

-I at times may not like at times But no one on the the Chit chat staff would close a thread unless it was grossly against the rules or just in poor taste..however lets remain on topic

tutall
04-04-2012, 07:56 PM
I have no problem with someone getting fired over facebook. You are a representative of your company 24/7 with facebook and putting anything on there you can e held accountable for it. As far as credit and drug testing, as long as the company is upfront about it I have no issues with either. Companies have the right to do what the want to just like you have the right not to work for them

duane1969
04-04-2012, 09:20 PM

I locked the thread to deal with an issue before it got out of hand. It was not to limit someone's speech or prevent any further discussion of that subject. As MadMan1978 has already said, if you have an issue with any mod you may PM me directly or him.

mrveggieman
04-05-2012, 08:08 AM
I locked the thread to deal with an issue before it got out of hand. It was not to limit someone's speech or prevent any further discussion of that subject. As MadMan1978 has already said, if you have an issue with any mod you may PM me directly or him.

I don't think that they were talking about you duane. :kiss: