PDA

View Full Version : Your thoughts on term limits.

habsheaven
04-03-2012, 11:22 AM
What do you guys see as the pros and cons of having your President (not Obama specifically) limited to 8 years in office? In Canada, we elect a party not a leader, but we have the ability to continually keep selecting that party for as long as we are happy with them.

mrveggieman
04-03-2012, 11:31 AM
I kind of have mixed views on it. On one hand I think that change is good and we need to hear a different voice every 4-8 years. However if the man in the seat is doing a good job I think that it is wrong for him not to be elgible to run if that is who the people want in office.

ensbergcollector
04-03-2012, 11:36 AM
i a very much in favor of the 2 terms for president. my bigger issue is why there aren't term limits on senators and representatives.

shrewsbury
04-03-2012, 11:46 AM
However if the man in the seat is doing a good job I think that it is wrong for him not to be elgible to run if that is who the people want in office.

but then we get into "what is a good job"

Wickabee
04-03-2012, 11:52 AM
On one hand politicians, like diapers, need to be changed often.
On the other hand, if you change all the time, can any real long term progress be made?
On the third hand, I can't stand the Canadian Conservatives and I'd love to see Harper out by (almost) any means necessary.

Tough call.

habsheaven
04-03-2012, 12:09 PM
My main issue with it is the lack of accountability once a President wins his second term. He/She can do anything they want (that's not impeachable) and they have no fear of having to face the voters over it.

Wickabee
04-03-2012, 12:14 PM
My main issue with it is the lack of accountability once a President wins his second term. He/She can do anything they want (that's not impeachable) and they have no fear of having to face the voters over it.
Yes but at the same time he doesn't have to play the same games he did in term 1 because he doesn't have to worry about getting re-elected.
Double edged sword

duane1969
04-03-2012, 12:23 PM
I support term limits because it avoids situations where a politician sits in an office for years and years simply because the voters don't bother to look at alternatives. Sen. Robert Byrd is a prime example. In spite of a checkered background he was voted into office over and over by people who didn't vote for anyone else simply because they had voted for Byrd for so many years that it was just habit for them to keep doing it.

Star_Cards
04-03-2012, 01:04 PM
I'm fine with the presidential term limit or four years. I think less or more would be bad. I do think that they should limit the length of the primary campaigns. There's no reason to have it so long. I get that they need time to campaign before preliminaries, but I think all of the primaries should be done in about 6 months. I also think that at some point in the primaries if a person holds another political office that they should step down to run for office. I'm not sure if that is exactly fair or practical but they were voted in to do a job and are paid to do that job and not off campaigning for another office.

I'm also a huge proponent of term limits for all other federal politicians and probably state to that matter. The fact that some people get in to an office and stay there until they die isn't good for the system. I think term limits would be very beneficial.

angel0430
04-03-2012, 02:34 PM
In Puerto Rico there is no term for a governor to be selected and history has shown that regardless on who it is...every 4-8 years we have a change anyway. At some point regardless of a good job or not, people get tired of the same person. It is up to the voters and the politicians to make the changes and that is what people don;t get.

Star_Cards
04-03-2012, 03:16 PM
I'd even go as far as to say that supreme court justices should have a term limit. I don't think it should be as regular as a 2 or 4 year term, but a lifetime seat seems a bit ridiculous.

andrewhoya
04-04-2012, 09:29 PM
I dont think there should be a limit.

Wickabee
04-05-2012, 05:32 PM
I'm fine with the presidential term limit or four years. I think less or more would be bad. I do think that they should limit the length of the primary campaigns. There's no reason to have it so long. I get that they need time to campaign before preliminaries, but I think all of the primaries should be done in about 6 months. I also think that at some point in the primaries if a person holds another political office that they should step down to run for office. I'm not sure if that is exactly fair or practical but they were voted in to do a job and are paid to do that job and not off campaigning for another office.

I'm also a huge proponent of term limits for all other federal politicians and probably state to that matter. The fact that some people get in to an office and stay there until they die isn't good for the system. I think term limits would be very beneficial.
Ugh, primaries. I totally agree there should be a definite end point. Santorum thinks it's half-time? Give me a break. Having primaries drag out does nothing but hurt the party as a whole. Santorum and Romney each go on about how the other is the wrong candidate, but one of them is going to be the candidate, so they're really just splitting the party and feeding off themselves. It's almost sad.

whereisreggienobl
04-05-2012, 05:58 PM
FDR was elected 4 times, and then the laws were changed. You sit as president longer than 8 years, and you start to resemble a king. Americans dont like kings.

Agreed 100% with whoever called for term limits on congress. Its absurd

andrewhoya
04-05-2012, 06:08 PM
FDR was elected 4 times, and then the laws were changed. You sit as president longer than 8 years, and you start to resemble a king. Americans dont like kings.

Agreed 100% with whoever called for term limits on congress. Its absurd

If you dont like kings then you vote them out in the next election.

whereisreggienobl
04-05-2012, 06:12 PM
If you dont like kings then you vote them out in the next election.

nah they wrote it in law for a reason. Americans are celebrity starstruck individuals. Obama is a rock star, and he's barely 50. If there weren't term limits, and the republicans kept offering ridiculous choices like willard mitt romney, newt & santorum every 4 years, then obama would be in office for the next quarter century.

andrewhoya
04-05-2012, 06:14 PM
nah they wrote it in law for a reason. Americans are celebrity starstruck individuals. Obama is a rock star, and he's barely 50. If there weren't term limits, and the republicans kept offering ridiculous choices like willard mitt romney, newt & santorum every 4 years, then obama would be in office for the next quarter century.

Unless another Dem came up. Anyways, if all the Republicans were idiots, wouldnt Obama be the better choice?

Wickabee
04-05-2012, 07:02 PM
nah they wrote it in law for a reason.
Yes, the Republicans wanted to make sure a Democrat could never hold the seat that long again.

whereisreggienobl
04-06-2012, 01:11 AM
Unless another Dem came up. Anyways, if all the Republicans were idiots, wouldnt Obama be the better choice?

well nobody has challenged an incumbent since carter, so that's not even in my lifetime. personally, i would prefer that happened.

I think politicians are so corruptible that every 4-8 years they should clean house. Like maybe 6-8 years max in any position. Same with all local and state govt. You either get elected to a new position when your max runs out, or you do something else. I'm sure most of them start out with good intentions, but by the time they're 15-20 years in it, they have no clue who they represent. They forget they work for the citizens.

Yes, the Republicans wanted to make sure a Democrat could never hold the seat that long again.

True, but they also made sure they couldn't either.

mrveggieman
04-06-2012, 08:16 AM
the republicans kept offering ridiculous choices like willard mitt romney, newt & santorum every 4 years, then obama would be in office for the next quarter century.

I wouldn't be mad at that at all. :party0053:

duane1969
04-06-2012, 10:14 AM
Concerning term limits, George Carlin said it best.

"If you have selfish, ignorant citizens you're gonna get selfish, ignorant leaders and term limits ain't gonna do you any good, you're just gonna wind up with a brand new bunch of selfish, ignorant Americans"

Theodor Madison
04-06-2012, 10:31 AM
There should be term limits for every office. It is not the one in office, but the policies that determine how well the job is being done. If the country is doing especially the economy anyone can run do the job.

I am for smaller government, lower taxes, and of course Peace of Mind. Which I have none with the present Pres.

mrveggieman
04-06-2012, 10:44 AM
Concerning term limits, George Carlin said it best.

"If you have selfish, ignorant citizens you're gonna get selfish, ignorant leaders and term limits ain't gonna do you any good, you're just gonna wind up with a brand new bunch of selfish, ignorant Americans"

CHURCH!! :love0030:

Wickabee
04-06-2012, 11:49 AM
True, but they also made sure they couldn't either.
I never said they were above throwing out the baby with the bathwater.