PDA

View Full Version : Movie producer Tyler Perry says traffic stop was racial profiling

mrveggieman
04-04-2012, 12:34 PM
http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/tyler-perry-says-pull-over-was-case-racial-profili/nMJQn/

duane1969
04-04-2012, 12:45 PM
I am baffled as to how it is racial profiling...

Young's police sources told him the officers are part of a task force and were in the area looking for a stolen car like the one Perry was driving, and once he made the illegal turn, which Perry admits to making, they had cause to pull him over.

So he was in a car similar to one stolen and he made an illegal turn, but the only reason they pulled him over is because he was black?

Also it says the windows were tinted. How could they even see if the person in the car was black, white or green?

lloydr04
04-04-2012, 12:50 PM
This might not be the best example, but it does happen daily..

duane1969
04-04-2012, 12:52 PM
This might not be the best example, but it does happen daily..

There is no doubt in my mind that it happens. I just don't see how stopping a guy driving a car that fits the description of a stolen car who just made an illegal turn qualifies as racial profiling.

lloydr04
04-04-2012, 12:53 PM
There is no doubt in my mind that it happens. I just don't see how stopping a guy driving a car that fits the description of a stolen car who just made an illegal turn qualifies as racial profiling.

Im with you, he went a bit far :D:

braves#10
04-04-2012, 01:01 PM
If I was a cop I would be scared to pull over, arrest, or question black people because of stuff like this.

lloydr04
04-04-2012, 01:19 PM
If I was a cop I would be scared to pull over, arrest, or question black people because of stuff like this.

um profiling happens all the time ... ALL the time, yes sometimes its justifiable .. but alot of times its just the color of your skin , and most cops are guilty of doing that.. so they make it hard on their own self to do their job by giving people legit reasons to complain

BGT Masters
04-04-2012, 01:24 PM
I was once pulled over, when I asked why the cop said I look suspicious carrying a bottle of mountain dew. Did I mention I was walking. He later justified the pulling me over because I was walking on the wrong side of the road. ;) I've had three runs ins with police in my town for being I guess at the wrong place at the wrong time. Needless to say I went to school to be a police officer and after three run ins, I lost my drive to become a law enforcer. Does racial profiling happen, sure, but I think a lot of the time its just because they (police) are being stupid more than racist. So to black people that get crapped on by the cops for no reason, its not always racial, it happens to white people too.

mrveggieman
04-04-2012, 01:34 PM
I was once pulled over, when I asked why the cop said I look suspicious carrying a bottle of mountain dew. Did I mention I was walking. He later justified the pulling me over because I was walking on the wrong side of the road. ;) I've had three runs ins with police in my town for being I guess at the wrong place at the wrong time. Needless to say I went to school to be a police officer and after three run ins, I lost my drive to become a law enforcer. Does racial profiling happen, sure, but I think a lot of the time its just because they (police) are being stupid more than racist. So to black people that get crapped on by the cops for no reason, its not always racial, it happens to white people too.

I kind of agree with you that police harass people of all races. Some police officers are the world's biggest cowards. They will continue to pick on the innocent and defenseless until we the people stand up and say no more. Stop kissing up to the police and being afraid of them and demand that they be held accountable for their crimes. The police are quick to call the average joe on the street out so why shouldn't they be held to the same standards?

BGT Masters
04-04-2012, 01:45 PM
Yep, my other two major run ins I had 3 squad cars show up to my house. I heard at knock at my door and you have several police officers standing in my door way. I was highly confused, I guess they got a "tip" I was having an underage drinking party. Only issue, I didn't drink back then, I was the only one homes, and there wasn't an ounce of alcohol in my house. I did offer them in for some mountain dew and some video games if they were looking for a party. ;) Another is what really broke my spirit of wanting to become a cop. Someone had been breaking into a store and stealing tobacco products. They were sending out requests to people in the area. My friends older brother was called down to the state trooper barracks and since me and my friend were hanging out and wanted to head to the store after wards we all went down with his mother. After they questioned him a trooper comes out and calls me in his office. Needless to say even though I was never there to be questions he felt the need to drill me for an hour, even telling me I look suspicious coming down there and he thinks I did it, blah blah blah. I was so highly offended at what I was hearing I knew right then I would never become a police officer. And by the way, I hate anything tobacco related have never tried it never will.

My friends and I also left a gas station at around 10 pm. We were immediately pulled over 5 seconds later. Reason, I was in the back seat but the cops said since I hadn't put my seat belt on before he had started the car they had a right to pull us over. They searched all of our bags and the car. They were looking for alcohol, even though we were of age???? Alls they found was a bunch of candy bars, we had been on a sugar run after playing Diablo. Sometimes they pull people over just for the sake of pulling people over trying to get lucky on a stop.

Again though I am not going to say racial profiling doesn't exist I have experienced that with one of my black friends twice in my town. And there was no question in my mind it was racial profiling. I made my point clear in that matter but obviously they denied it. I guess that's the hardest thing about being a minority, you never know if you're beating treated one way because you're a certain color or not. Sort of makes you paranoid I'd think.

Star_Cards
04-04-2012, 01:58 PM
If he made an illegal turn right from the left lane then that is why he was pulled over. Had he done nothing wrong and then been pulled over he may have a case to say that he was racially profiled.

Star_Cards
04-04-2012, 02:06 PM
Sometimes they pull people over just for the sake of pulling people over trying to get lucky on a stop.

yes they do if they have cause, which they can usually always find cause. I've been pulled over for a license plate light being out, pulling into a closed drug store parking lot to turn around while looking for a friends house around midnight, no headlights on just before dusk, investigated at work due to a recent robbery of beanie babies at hallmark (lol long story), and probably a few other instances that escape me at the moment. The point is when they found I hadn't done anything wrong they let me go on my way. I get the inconvenience and that some people get targeted due to skin color, but there is some aspect of the officers just doing their jobs and checking things out.

mrveggieman
04-04-2012, 02:21 PM
I get the inconvenience and that some people get targeted due to skin color, but there is some aspect of the officers just doing their jobs and checking things out.

Doing a job is one thing, being a complete jerk who abuses your power is another.

duane1969
04-04-2012, 02:31 PM
Doing a job is one thing, being a complete jerk who abuses your power is another.

That applies to McDonald's managers and the guy who checks your height before letting you ride the rides at Disney World too. The difference is they don't have guns LOL

tndcollectables
04-04-2012, 03:46 PM
I got pulled over one time for looking like a guy that held up a Checker Auto Parts store. The problem was is that I was the one that got held up, the officer that pulled me over was the officer that came when I called in the robbery!

duwal
04-04-2012, 03:47 PM

that can be said for any kind of job

Star_Cards
04-04-2012, 05:54 PM

I dont disagree. I'm sure there are people that are complete jerks to the police as well. Definitely goes both ways.