PDA

View Full Version : Man said he was arrested for looking young trying to buy

mrveggieman
04-05-2012, 09:44 AM
http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/man-says-he-was-arrested-looking-young-trying-buy-/nMJkz/

Star_Cards
04-05-2012, 09:52 AM
I probably wouldn't have sold to him either had I been the clerk. Or I'd at least turn the decision over to my manager. I'm sure it's frustrating for him so I can see both sides of the issue.

duane1969
04-05-2012, 03:06 PM
Because of that, Sanders told Viteri, he is a constant victim of discrimination.

My God! Does eveything that happens to someone these days automatically qualify as discrimination? This is so stupid. He looks like a kid!!! He sounds like a kid! He uses language like a kid!

Furthermore, his license was from out-of-state (a common ploy of fake ID makers/users) and he didn't tell them about his condition that causes him to look so young.

This is stupid.

shrewsbury
04-05-2012, 03:45 PM
This is stupid.

i agree with you on this one

duwal
04-05-2012, 04:16 PM
yeah, he really has no case here

angel0430
04-05-2012, 04:20 PM
But, I am sure that he is going to sue and he is going to win. That is the way this works.

Wickabee
04-05-2012, 06:20 PM
My God! Does eveything that happens to someone these days automatically qualify as discrimination? This is so stupid. He looks like a kid!!! He sounds like a kid! He uses language like a kid!

Furthermore, his license was from out-of-state (a common ploy of fake ID makers/users) and he didn't tell them about his condition that causes him to look so young.

This is stupid.
I see what you're saying, but at the same time, what is the point of proper identification if the way you look negates it?

And I do see this as discrimination of sorts. It's based entirely on what he looks like and not on any other fact. That is basically the definition of discrimination.

whereisreggienobl
04-05-2012, 06:51 PM
At a very minimum, the disorderly conduct charge will or should be dismissed. State issued photo identification should be sufficient in all cases. If you think its fake, ask your manager. But if I'm...

duane1969
04-05-2012, 07:17 PM
I see what you're saying, but at the same time, what is the point of proper identification if the way you look negates it?

And I do see this as discrimination of sorts. It's based entirely on what he looks like and not on any other fact. That is basically the definition of discrimination.

If every person who looked and sounded like a kid presented an ID that said they were over 21 and nobody questioned it then the bars and clubs would be full of 16 year olds.

Furthermore, state ATF agencies run stings and send underage customers into stores specifically to try and bust the business for selling alcohol to underage persons. The clerks get a fine and usually lose their job and the store can lose their right to sell alcohol. Businesses have a social responsibility to err on the side of caution and ensure that kids don't buy alcohol. Just because the ID says 21 or over does not mean that the store should just automatically sell them alcohol.

There is also the issue of liability. If a store sells alcohol to a minor and that minor ends up drinking and driving and getting killed or killing someone, who do you think the parents (and lawyers) will point the finger at?

Wickabee
04-05-2012, 08:00 PM
If every person who looked and sounded like a kid presented an ID that said they were over 21 and nobody questioned it then the bars and clubs would be full of 16 year olds.
I never said don't question it, I asked what's the point of issuing ID to a person if that ID means nothing?

Furthermore, state ATF agencies run stings and send underage customers into stores specifically to try and bust the business for selling alcohol to underage persons. The clerks get a fine and usually lose their job and the store can lose their right to sell alcohol. Businesses have a social responsibility to err on the side of caution and ensure that kids don't buy alcohol. Just because the ID says 21 or over does not mean that the store should just automatically sell them alcohol.
I never said don't err on the side of caution, I asked what's the point of issuing ID to a person if that ID means nothing?

There is also the issue of liability. If a store sells alcohol to a minor and that minor ends up drinking and driving and getting killed or killing someone, who do you think the parents (and lawyers) will point the finger at?
Durr, really? That has no bearing on what I said, I asked what's the point of issuing ID to a person if that ID means nothing?

duane1969
04-05-2012, 10:13 PM
The ID was not issued by the state that he was in. It was an out-of-state ID. That is a common ploy by fake ID makers.

Nobody said the ID means nothing. It is just logical conclusion to be suspicious if someone who looks, sounds and acts 16 hands you an out-of-state ID that says they are 22.

shrewsbury
04-06-2012, 09:35 AM
again, it goes back to personal responsibility. just like a wheel chair bound person has to go through more steps to go to the store even though the public has tried to make it easier for them, it is still harder than what the average person has to go through.

if you have a medical condition why would you not take the steps to make things easier on you?

well, because most will cry it's unfair, why should i have to do anything different

well, because you have different circumstances.

how hard would it be to ask to speak to a manager, explain to them the situation, and if needed, have them call the police first, it might take extra time, but the person in the wheelchair needs extra time too.

Wickabee
04-06-2012, 12:46 PM
What steps could he have taken? Should he try and obtain ID from all 50 states in case he goes there? He did pretty much all he could and still was denied what he should, by all rights, be able to get. He even said go ahead and call the cops. What else could he do? I'd LOVE to know what steps he missed other than having no medical issues and looking like a normal 22 year old.

And Duane, stop telling me "it's a ploy of ID fakers" I'm not an 4, Captain Obvious, don't treat me like I am. There's being suspicious and then there's denying service. This is denying service.

shrewsbury
04-06-2012, 12:49 PM
i just explained what steps he should have done

how hard would it be to ask to speak to a manager, explain to them the situation, and if needed, have them call the police first,

Star_Cards
04-06-2012, 12:51 PM
What steps could he have taken? Should he try and obtain ID from all 50 states in case he goes there? He did pretty much all he could and still was denied what he should, by all rights, be able to get. He even said go ahead and call the cops. What else could he do? I'd LOVE to know what steps he missed other than having no medical issues and looking like a normal 22 year old.

And Duane, stop telling me "it's a ploy of ID fakers" I'm not an 4, Captain Obvious, don't treat me like I am. There's being suspicious and then there's denying service. This is denying service.

well obviously he got angry enough that caused him to do something to get arrested. I don't care how mad he was, he could have just left the store. Why put yourself in a position to be arrested over something like this. That's a step he could have tried or at least I would have tried.

mrveggieman
04-06-2012, 12:51 PM
There's a burger joint in Atlanta called the vortex. When you go in there there's a sign that says "we reserve the right to refuse service to anyone." Sounds like the shop owner should put a sign like that up and point it out to someone if they want to buy cigaretts, liquor and they don't trust their id or if they are acting like a complete knucklehead.

Star_Cards
04-06-2012, 01:11 PM
There's a burger joint in Atlanta called the vortex. When you go in there there's a sign that says "we reserve the right to refuse service to anyone." Sounds like the shop owner should put a sign like that up and point it out to someone if they want to buy cigaretts, liquor and they don't trust their id or if they are acting like a complete knucklehead.

I'd assume that people are refused service at times due to lots of reasons when it comes to selling items to people of a certain age. The penalty if you are caught is pretty stiff. If I were a manager of owner of a business that sold alcohol or cigarettes, I'd be very cautious.

shrewsbury
04-06-2012, 01:19 PM
when i was younger my good friend was on leave from the marines, we went to buy beer and he was carded, so he pulled out his military ID, the store would not accept it, which is against the law. i could have just bought it, but instead we called the police who came up and explained it to the clerk, and we got our beer.

easy as that and no attitude required

Wickabee
04-07-2012, 02:43 PM
when i was younger my good friend was on leave from the marines, we went to buy beer and he was carded, so he pulled out his military ID, the store would not accept it, which is against the law. i could have just bought it, but instead we called the police who came up and explained it to the clerk, and we got our beer.

easy as that and no attitude required
It is good that you and your friend were able to not be offended or sick of it after years of this happening...

It's TOTALLY the same thing.

AUTaxMan
04-07-2012, 02:51 PM
The ID was not issued by the state that he was in. It was an out-of-state ID. That is a common ploy by fake ID makers.

Nobody said the ID means nothing. It is just logical conclusion to be suspicious if someone who looks, sounds and acts 16 hands you an out-of-state ID that says they are 22.

If I ran a business that sold alcohol, I would not sell to anyone whose ID I could not verify to a 100% certainty. Probably wouldn't take any out-of-state IDs at all. The ABC board is always trying to bust bar owners, restaurants, and grocery stores for selling to underage kids, and you just can't run the risk of getting your liquor license revoked.

shrewsbury
04-07-2012, 06:37 PM
It is good that you and your friend were able to not be offended or sick of it after years of this happening...

It's TOTALLY the same thing.

well since he is 22, that would be 1 year legal, so he must be out of state buying beer all the time in a matter of a year, so that makes sense

that fact is he got arrested for wanting to buy beer, he is a loser, but we will make excuses for him, because he was treated unfairly. boo hoo

fact is, he is a cry baby punk, man up or shut up, tired of the baby excuses

"i have a desease that makes me look young and people are saying i am young, but i refuse to tell them i have this desease, so they should just know"

maybe it effects more than just his looks

Wickabee
04-07-2012, 09:31 PM
well since he is 22, that would be 1 year legal, so he must be out of state buying beer all the time in a matter of a year, so that makes sense

that fact is he got arrested for wanting to buy beer, he is a loser, but we will make excuses for him, because he was treated unfairly. boo hoo

fact is, he is a cry baby punk, man up or shut up, tired of the baby excuses

"i have a desease that makes me look young and people are saying i am young, but i refuse to tell them i have this desease, so they should just know"

maybe it effects more than just his looks
I don't understand, are you saying he's a loser for wanting to buy beer?

Also, I'm sure buying beer isn't the only time he runs into this problem.

I seriously want an answer to that question though.

shrewsbury
04-07-2012, 10:20 PM
no he is a loser (which i admit is a bit harsh) for whining about having to go out of his way because he is in a different situation than most. i am sure it is hard to deal with, but why make it worse. you are what you are, so sometimes that requires you to do things differently than others, fair is for teenagers and kids, not adults, we deal with it.

so what you may have to go out of your way and spend some extra time to do a simple task, there are others way worse off and do it without complaining. all he needs to do is establish a place to purchase his liquor and cigarettes (only thing i can think needs an ID) and go there to relieve any hassle. if he is traveling he knows what will happen when he goes to purchase something, look at him and his demeaner, you would be flat out in the wrong if you did not question an ID from him that said he is 22.
go to the manger first, explain what is going on, and carry some medical proof, if that is not good enough have him call the police. sure it may take more time, but he should be lucky he can walk and/or drive to get somewhere to have the chance to buy it or have the money to

BigBerserker
04-08-2012, 12:19 AM
My advice, grow a beard if you can. Without one I look like I'm 12 lol.

BigBerserker
04-08-2012, 12:26 AM
Are you serious? He's a loser because he did not bring two forms of ID? And if you didn't hear the whole video clip, the cops were called to verify his age but instead arrested him. So now instead of...

Wickabee
04-08-2012, 02:20 AM
At least somebody gets it.

shrewsbury
04-08-2012, 10:44 AM
both you guys crack me up, the police were called after the attempted buy and he had to have an attitude and got himself arrested.

but that's ok because he has had such a hard life? get over it

take time off work? poor guy! the guy got himself arrested which he could avoided

and if you had this desease why would you not carry medical papers to prove it, or any underage kid with a fake ID could say they had it?

oh and he will go home without his beer? how sad! really?

the worst part is he will keep doing this rather than doing something to prevent it.

duane1969
04-08-2012, 11:26 AM
He was arrested for disorderly conduct. You can not go off on people cursing them and raging around because you want your way and it be OK. The video doesn't show it but I am assuming he was probably...

whereisreggienobl
04-08-2012, 12:15 PM
Disorderly conduct is the most broad simple offense there is. It's treated no differently than a traffic ticket. Police use it ALL THE TIME when they simply want to cite somebody and have no real...

Wickabee
04-08-2012, 12:29 PM
both you guys crack me up, the police were called after the attempted buy and he had to have an attitude and got himself arrested.

but that's ok because he has had such a hard life? get over it

take time off work? poor guy! the guy got himself arrested which he could avoided

and if you had this desease why would you not carry medical papers to prove it, or any underage kid with a fake ID could say they had it?

oh and he will go home without his beer? how sad! really?

the worst part is he will keep doing this rather than doing something to prevent it.
You crack me up. You think because it happened to you ONCE you know this guy's whole life.
You think him having a disease means he should have to carry papers to prove it.
You think being denied what should rightfully be his is a minor inconvenience.

You're a real piece of work. I guess freedom is just for the "normal" looking and everyone else has to carry their papers...hmm, that sounds familiar...

Wickabee
04-08-2012, 12:47 PM
I'll put it another way. I have MS. I look totally normal except sometime my disease causes me to walk and talk like I'm drunk when I haven't had a drop. Now, shrew, by your logic, I should have to carry around my MRI results in case someone thinks I'm drunk in public.

Is that right? Should I have to carry around "my papers"?

He was arrested for disorderly conduct. You can not go off on people cursing them and raging around because you want your way and it be OK. The video doesn't show it but I am assuming he was probably irrate and made a real scene of it.
You can't go assuming what isn't on the video happened. It's pure speculation and if you're basing anything on that you opinion is valueless.

shrewsbury
04-08-2012, 03:20 PM
why not, is it that hard to carry a medical excuse?

so you realize you may look drunk in public but no one should say anything? you could appear to be drunk but it would be wrong for the police to question you about it? and if they did it would be ok for you to freak out on them?

and when the police arrived he got arrested for doing nothing?
those conspiracy just keep getting better.

us age lookers are out to get those non age lookers!!!!!!

at least my logic is logical

JWinn
04-08-2012, 03:39 PM
Just imagine what happens if this guy walks into a strip club.......:p:

Wickabee
04-08-2012, 04:22 PM
why not, is it that hard to carry a medical excuse?

so you realize you may look drunk in public but no one should say anything? you could appear to be drunk but it would be wrong for the police to question you about it? and if they did it would be ok for you to freak out on them?

and when the police arrived he got arrested for doing nothing?
those conspiracy just keep getting better.

us age lookers are out to get those non age lookers!!!!!!

at least my logic is logical

A - Show me where he " freaks out" on them.

2 - Yes, it is difficult to carry my MRI results with me everywhere I go. It's a 6 page report.

3 - Your logic is anything BUT logical.

4 - I'm pretty sure you just go against the people who complain and believe the establishment is always right, so you would side with authorities on any subject.

5 - If I should be carrying my papers, you should too. Then every time a cop sees you, you can show your identification. That would be the best system I think. The Germans did it a few years back and everything worked out ok there, right?

shrewsbury
04-08-2012, 09:16 PM
actually you should always carry idenification, why wouldn't you?
what if you were questioned, what if you were a witness to something, what if you were killed?

carrying an id and proof of an unusual medical condition equals being a nazi??

pretty logical

Wickabee
04-08-2012, 09:21 PM
He was carrying identification. YOU want him to carry more papers, and me to carry around a 6 page MRI report.

BGT Masters
04-08-2012, 09:43 PM
If you have a disease that makes you look a lot younger than 21, and you're going to buy beer. Perhaps a little common sense to bring proof of it when you're going to buy beer. It couldn't have been the first time he had an issue. And if you do have some sort of disease which might cause you to act out or possibly find yourself in a bad situation, perhaps it would be smart to carry some sort of proof of your condition. Comparing it to Germany "a few years back" is pretty stupid.

Wickabee
04-08-2012, 10:01 PM
If you have a disease that makes you look a lot younger than 21, and you're going to buy beer. Perhaps a little common sense to bring proof of it when you're going to buy beer. It couldn't have been the first time he had an issue. And if you do have some sort of disease which might cause you to act out or possibly find yourself in a bad situation, perhaps it would be smart to carry some sort of proof of your condition. Comparing it to Germany "a few years back" is pretty stupid.
Not when you're talking to a guy who thinks everyone with a disease that makes them look/act differently should "carry their papers". And I'm guessing, since they didn't care about the ID he was carrying, medical papers would have done him no good either.

duane1969
04-08-2012, 10:13 PM
I can assume just that because the police felt that they had probable cause to arrest and charge him. If they had shown up and he was being calm and mannerly then there is no way they arrest him for...

Wickabee
04-08-2012, 10:17 PM
The point is your assuming. You can justify your assumption all you want, but it's still baseless speculation. <br />
<br />
<br />
Ok, but should they HAVE to? Should cancer patient HAVE to have medical papers so...

BGT Masters
04-08-2012, 10:19 PM
The point is your assuming. You can justify your assumption all you want, but it's still baseless speculation.

Ok, but should they HAVE to? Should cancer patient HAVE to have medical papers so people don't think he's white supremacist? And what do you think the chances of that clerk accepting a medical bracelet are if he wouldn't even accept the ID in the first place?

Why are you racist and automatically think anyone who doesn't have hair is a white supremacist? Your comparison's are ridiculous.

duane1969
04-08-2012, 10:22 PM
The point is your assuming. You can justify your assumption all you want, but it's still baseless speculation.

Ok, but should they HAVE to? Should cancer patient HAVE to have medical papers so people don't think he's white supremacist?

I am assuming nothing. The fact that he was arrested for disorderly conduct provides significant basis for speculation that he was acting in an irrate manner.

I never said anybody HAS to do anything, but it is pretty silly to know you have a health issue that can cause a problem and not try to prevent or avoid that problem.

Wickabee
04-08-2012, 10:23 PM
Shaving your head is a traditional way to mark yourself as a supremacist. That's just fact. I wouldn't think someone who has a shaved head is racist, but many would, and do.

I'm tired of constantly explaining myself to people who don't have any interest in actual discourse, and just want to vilify anyone who says anything against the establishment. Fall into line, don't put thought into things, do as you're told and so on.

I'm finished with your ridiculousness. Sorry if that offends anyone.

shrewsbury
04-08-2012, 11:06 PM
last time i checked being bald does not make people think you are underage or drunk
and no you don't have to carry papers, just don't be crying when someone questions you and you have nothing to back up what you say.

if you look underage and have an out of state id, be smart enough to know you will be questioned, and prepare to have some answers and proof of those answers.

is this unfair? i will say again, fair is for teens and kids, not adults.

is it fair to be blind while others see? is it fair to be crippled while others can walk? is it fair to be old while others are still young? there is no fair, you are what you are, and got what you got, make the best of it and stop blaming others and making excuses, no one is after you or out to get you

whereisreggienobl
04-08-2012, 11:27 PM
last time i checked being bald does not make people think you are underage or drunk
and no you don't have to carry papers, just don't be crying when someone questions you and you have nothing to back up what you say.

if you look underage and have an out of state id, be smart enough to know you will be questioned, and prepare to have some answers and proof of those answers.

is this unfair? i will say again, fair is for teens and kids, not adults.

is it fair to be blind while others see? is it fair to be crippled while others can walk? is it fair to be old while others are still young? there is no fair, you are what you are, and got what you got, make the best of it and stop blaming others and making excuses, no one is after you or out to get you

you are so completely missing the point, that it's kind of hilarious. I already said all I had to say on this topic, but I will add that it is not his responsibility to prove his medical condition to anybody else. I have no idea why you would think that.

All 50 states issue photo identification. I carry around exactly one piece of photo ID, and I expect it to be legally recognized anywhere I present it. I have purchased alcohol in other states, and since I'm from Pennsylvania, I turn over an identical looking ID card as Mr. Sanders did. That's all that is required on my part, is to present valid ID when asked.

Further, at least in PA, if you present out of state ID, all bars & liquor stores have a handbook that will show you what other state IDs look like, and what to look for to verify it's genuine. It makes no sense that a Kroger's would have no idea how to verify an out of state ID.

whereisreggienobl
04-08-2012, 11:31 PM
So, the cops are always right? Police charges are always upheld in court? <br />
<br />
Furthermore, show me where it's against the law to be &quot;irate&quot;? Irate simply means angry, and the guy admits he was angry....

Wickabee
04-08-2012, 11:38 PM
Crap, I was served in the US with a valid British Columbia ID. But I guess I shouldn't have been.

shrewsbury
04-08-2012, 11:58 PM
do you look and act like you are 12?

Wickabee
04-09-2012, 12:02 AM
I could play 15. I get ID'd all the time. It's ok though because I look like I am probably of age. I don't see what acting like 12 has to do with it, I don't think he walked in and challenged them to a game of Pokemon.

But I'd like to see your responses to someone else, for a change.

whereisreggienobl
04-09-2012, 12:02 AM

Should it even matter if you have state ID that says you are 22?

hawk2618
04-09-2012, 12:05 AM
He obviously is a very immature 22 yr old if he has to rant and rave bc he didnt get his way.Was he 21??? YES!! Could he have handled things in a different manner??? YES!!!!!.My son is 16.If he gets an id stating hes 21.Then there should be no problem getting liquor right???....YAWN! Like someone said before.This probably wasn't the first time so common sense would've said "Lets cover all bases from now on".Thats one thing kids these days lack.Good ole common sense.~~Dave C.

Wickabee
04-09-2012, 12:08 AM
He obviously is a very immature 22 yr old if he has to rant and rave bc he didnt get his way.Was he 21??? YES!! Could he have handled things in a different manner??? YES!!!!!.My son is 16.If he gets an id stating hes 21.Then there should be no problem getting liquor right???....YAWN! Like someone said before.This probably wasn't the first time so common sense would've said "Lets cover all bases from now on".Thats one thing kids these days lack.Good ole common sense.~~Dave C.
And here we have someone clearly ignoring everything said before him as well as speculating about this person and believing every word the authorities say without ever questioning them.

whereisreggienobl
04-09-2012, 12:12 AM

kid? the MAN is 22 years old.

When this thread started, I was thinking 1 or 2 people would post, and it would fade down the list. But now I feel genuinely bad for this "kid". He can't even get treated like an adult on a forum by people who never met him.

shrewsbury
04-09-2012, 12:14 AM
[QUOTE]Should it even matter if you have state ID that says you are 22?
__________________[QUOTE]

yeah, ID's are faked all the time

whereisreggienobl
04-09-2012, 12:17 AM
yeah, ID's are faked all the time

:sign0020: but his was valid? what point are you making that I am missing?

BGT Masters
04-09-2012, 12:17 AM
kid? the MAN is 22 years old.

When this thread started, I was thinking 1 or 2 people would post, and it would fade down the list. But now I feel genuinely bad for this "kid". He can't even get treated like an adult on a forum by people who never met him.

He was using the term in the informal form. Anyone younger than you can be called a kid. :sign0020: And I think he was actually using it in the broader sense not just one individual. :wave:

hawk2618
04-09-2012, 12:18 AM
Im a 50 yr old man....so YES a 22 yr old would be a kid to me.once again...common sense!

Thank you BGT...someone that gets it!!! :)

shrewsbury
04-09-2012, 12:21 AM
[QUOTE]but his was valid? what point are you making that I am missing?[QUOTE]

and so is the fact he has a condition that makes him look like he is 12ish

whereisreggienobl
04-09-2012, 12:24 AM
Im a 50 yr old man....so YES a 22 yr old would be a kid to me.once again...common sense!

Thank you BGT...someone that gets it!!! :)

So a 48 year old would be a kid to you? It's not that I don't get it, It's just you specifically are referring to this adult as a kid, when the whole point of the thread is that he is an adult who looks like a kid.

Furthermore, "kid" is almost never used in a respectable way. If a person is not a child, then calling them kid is almost certainly meant in a sly way. We're not talking about a teenaged "kid", we are talking about a 22 year old adult man.

regardless, I've made two posts now in this thread dealing with very specific details, that nobody will address. But as soon as I respond about the word "kid", everybody has an opinion.

TJJenkins
04-09-2012, 12:26 AM
I don't see where the issue is. Stores reserve the right to refuse anybody on their own terms.

hawk2618
04-09-2012, 12:30 AM
Wicka,,,this question is for you seeing you seem to think an Id should NEVER be questioned.
If I was to have an id stating I was 85 yrs old and I tried to get senior citizen discounts everywhere I went.Should I be upset and extremely unruly if i got questioned all the time?? Please answer this. ~~Dave C.

whereisreggienobl
04-09-2012, 12:33 AM
Wicka,,,this question is for you seeing you seem to think an Id should NEVER be questioned.
If I was to have an id stating I was 85 yrs old and I tried to get senior citizen discounts everywhere I went.Should I be upset and extremely unruly if i got questioned all the time?? Please answer this. ~~Dave C.

lol...i hate to jump in here, but unless you are really 85 years old, you would be a fraud, which is the complete opposite of Mr. Sanders.

shrewsbury
04-09-2012, 12:40 AM
i get your point, and it must suck to be in that situation, but it is what it is

but i don't think it is unreasonable to question the validity of an ID stating someone is of legal age when they look like they are 12ish, so the clerk getting the manager is not the wrong thing to do, the clerk was in the right

what happened from the time the manager arrived and he was arrested, isn't very clear

BGT Masters
04-09-2012, 12:42 AM
His point is, how are you supposed to know if he is a fraud or not. If someone comes in to buy alcohol and looks 12, but their ID says their 22, doesn't that look suspicious? The same can be said if someone looks 50 and their id says their 85. Out of all the times stuff like this happens I'd be willing to bet in a HIGH majority of cases it's people not being honest. Who don't have the same disease the other guy did in the link we're talking about.

hawk2618
04-09-2012, 12:43 AM
So a 48 year old would be a kid to you? It's not that I don't get it, It's just you specifically are referring to this adult as a kid, when the whole point of the thread is that he is an adult who looks like a kid.

Furthermore, "kid" is almost never used in a respectable way. If a person is not a child, then calling them kid is almost certainly meant in a sly way. We're not talking about a teenaged "kid", we are talking about a 22 year old adult man.

regardless, I've made two posts now in this thread dealing with very specific details, that nobody will address. But as soon as I respond about the word "kid", everybody has an opinion.

I see what you're saying but when I use the term "kid" whether its m/f,
I'm simply refering to the action itself he or she created here.If the 22 yr old were an "adult' as you say.He surely would've handled this matter much more maturely than having to cause a scene and eventually get himself arrested.I'm sorry if anyone is offended,but that doesn't sound like an adult to me.When you get to be my age you'll know what I'm talking about.
:scared0012:

whereisreggienobl
04-09-2012, 12:49 AM
i get your point, and it must suck to be in that situation, but it is what it is

but i don't think it is unreasonable to question the validity of an ID stating someone is of legal age when they look like they are 12ish, so the clerk getting the manager is not the wrong thing to do, the clerk was in the right

what happened from the time the manager arrived and he was arrested, isn't very clear

it's not unreasonable at all to quesion the validity, that should certainly be expected. But Kroger's is not a small supermarket. It's really shocking to me they don't have ID scanners, or at minimum a book that every bar or restauarant I've ever been in has, that shows what out of state IDs look like and how to tell if they are fake. This is an epic fail on Kroger's part, and they look even worse by issuing a contradictory statement that goes against the video footage.

His point is, how are you supposed to know if he is a fraud or not. If someone comes in to buy alcohol and looks 12, but their ID says their 22, doesn't that look suspicious? The same can be said if someone looks 50 and their id says their 85. Out of all the times stuff like this happens I'd be willing to bet in a HIGH majority of cases it's people not being honest. Who don't have the same disease the other guy did in the link we're talking about.

I don't know, I live in a town with a major university, so fake ID's is a BIG concern here, no question about it. And I can guarantee you a few years ago he would have needed backup ID to enter a bar in my town. But we also have Wegman's, which is the equivalent of Kroger's. The bars & Wegmans now just scan your ID to verify it's valid. Even the gas station will scan your ID if you want to purchase tobacco. Pretty easy stuff, and I just figured it's 2012, most stores should have that technology now.

whereisreggienobl
04-09-2012, 12:52 AM
I see what you're saying but when I use the term "kid" whether its m/f,
I'm simply refering to the action itself he or she created here.If the 22 yr old were an "adult' as you say.He surely would've handled this matter much more maturely than having to cause a scene and eventually get himself arrested.I'm sorry if anyone is offended,but that doesn't sound like an adult to me.When you get to be my age you'll know what I'm talking about.
:scared0012:

I'm not offended, I'm just making conversation.

The one thing people keep saying, that I can't verify, is that he made a scene. Is everybody basing this purely on the fact that he was cited with disorderly conduct, that he must have been acting a fool? Again, there is literally NOTHING in that 2:31 video that suggests he acted a fool. They quote the cops, and all the cop said was he was mad. There is nothing in the surveillance video that shows he acted a fool. Why is everybody assuming he went crazy?

hawk2618
04-09-2012, 01:09 AM
lol..I don't think people mean "tossing items on the floor left and right crazy"but you have to admit.He had to do something to warrant an arrest.Maybe he cuzzed out the cops? Maybe he flipped off the cops?? Who knows.We all can speculate all we want, but the bottom line is, something DID happen. ~~Dave C.

whereisreggienobl
04-09-2012, 01:21 AM
I disagree. I don't blindly trust police officers to do the right thing. They are human too, and full of the same flaws the rest of us possess. Charging something with disorderly conduct means...

whereisreggienobl
04-09-2012, 01:32 AM
“He gets mad, starts cursing, gets all upset. We show up and he’s still cursing,” Lou Solis, assistant police chief in Brasleton, told ABCNews.com. “[So] we go ahead and tell him we’re going to arrest him for disorderly conduct.”

Here are the four instances in Georgia where a person is guilty of disorderly conduct.

(a) A person commits the offense of disorderly conduct when such person commits any of the following:

(1) Acts in a violent or tumultuous manner toward another person whereby such person is placed in reasonable fear of the safety of such person´s life, limb, or health;

(2) Acts in a violent or tumultuous manner toward another person whereby the property of such person is placed in danger of being damaged or destroyed;

(3) Without provocation, uses to or of another person in such other person´s presence, opprobrious or abusive words which by their very utterance tend to incite to an immediate breach of the peace, that is to say, words which as a matter of common knowledge and under ordinary circumstances will, when used to or of another person in such other person´s presence, naturally tend to provoke violent resentment, that is, words commonly called 'fighting words'; or

(4) Without provocation, uses obscene and vulgar or profane language in the presence of or by telephone to a person under the age of 14 years which threatens an immediate breach of the peace.

So let's recap, in order to be guilty of disorderly conduct, he would have had to either (A) threaten somebody's life or well-being (B) threaten somebody's property (C) use "fighting words" that provoke violent resentment or (D) use profane language in the presence of a 14 year old boy.

IDK, maybe they went with D, since everybody just assumes he's 12 anyway and he was cursing in front of himself.

hawk2618
04-09-2012, 01:42 AM
Ok...so lets say he picks up the cash register and is ready to toss it on the ground?? that COULD'VE happened realistically right??? That would warrant an arrest based on it falls under --> (2) Acts in a violent or tumultuous manner toward another person whereby the property of such person is placed in danger of being damaged or destroyed;
I just threw that out there to fall under one of your guidlines is all.
All I know is here in Mass.If you get arrested,you pretty much deserved it.Unfortuantely we have tons of rif raf here :( ~~Dave C.

whereisreggienobl
04-09-2012, 01:57 AM
If that would've happened, it would be mentioned somewhere in the police report, or by the police when they are quoted, and it isn't. So I think it's pretty safe to rule that scenario out. But, if...

hawk2618
04-09-2012, 02:15 AM
I agree with you 100% that there are crooked cops.I just find it hard to believe that every bizarre story that hits the headlines that its the cops fault.I mean comon, you ever watch cops?? Do you ever see police officers getting out of line where they're questioned for what they did?Those are real life stories,thats what the world is,sorry to say.I mean we gotta face the cold hard truth.Theres a lot of bad apples out there.Unfortunately. ~~Dave C.

whereisreggienobl
04-09-2012, 02:27 AM
I agree with you 100% that there are crooked cops.I just find it hard to believe that every bizarre story that hits the headlines that its the cops fault.I mean comon, you ever watch cops?? Do you ever see police officers getting out of line where they're questioned for what they did?Those are real life stories,thats what the world is,sorry to say.I mean we gotta face the cold hard truth.Theres a lot of bad apples out there.Unfortunately. ~~Dave C.

well, according to the religious, every person on earth is a bad apple, and always will be. we're all sinners, so does that mean we should automatically treat every person we encounter as a sinner up to no good?

Yes, there are a ton of crappy headlines. I would also agree that generally people who are arrested deserved it (better than 50%). But the fact remains in this particular case the guy is indeed 22 years old, and did attempt to make a legal transaction that millions of americans make daily without consequence. But in his case, not only was he given a $276 citation, he also spent 48 hours in jail before being released on his own recognizance. For being upset and swearing.

hawk2618
04-09-2012, 02:56 AM
Well,I made my case about them having the right to question his id.Hence me being an 85 yr old post.According to you ,I should have no problem using that id right?Its a legal transaction with a legal id and I want my discount.So why would they question it if its right in front of them??? Plain and simple.Its better to be safe than sorry. In all honesty,it comes down to common sense.Let me ask you this.If that were you and you had this problem time and time again on getting served,would'nt you have been more prepared the next time,and the next time,and the next time? If you say NO,I have no answer for you.I was always brought up on 3 words. Preparation,Preparation and Preparation!You can never be OVER prepared.In this case he wasn't.Good night and see you around.peace my friend.
~~Dave C.

whereisreggienobl
04-09-2012, 03:34 AM
Well,I made my case about them having the right to question his id.Hence me being an 85 yr old post.According to you ,I should have no problem using that id right?Its a legal transaction with a legal id and I want my discount.So why would they question it if its right in front of them??? Plain and simple.Its better to be safe than sorry. In all honesty,it comes down to common sense.Let me ask you this.If that were you and you had this problem time and time again on getting served,would'nt you have been more prepared the next time,and the next time,and the next time? If you say NO,I have no answer for you.I was always brought up on 3 words. Preparation,Preparation and Preparation!You can never be OVER prepared.In this case he wasn't.Good night and see you around.peace my friend.
~~Dave C.

There's one major flaw with your argument. Senior citizens discounts are not required by law, and if a business gifts you a discount, it is at their will, and not regulated by a government authority such as the liquor control board. Also, my grandfather just turned 82, and legitimately looks and moves like he is in his 60's (hopefully I have the same great DNA). I can't ever, ever, ever, recall a business requesting ID for a senior citizens discount, including the ones I worked at that gave them. If a person presents themself as a senior citizen, you pretty much take their word for it that they've earned it. A business is not going to get fined and risk losing their liquor license for giving a discount to a 60 year old. So, no offense, it's just a very silly comparison.

Second, you are under the impression this was not the first time for him. I have seen no indication that he says this has happened before. If we see him in the news again in the next few months saying it happened again, I'll call him an idiot and agree with your logic. I used to have a duplicate ID, and I needed to carry backup. He can too. He should NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE BE REQUIRED TO DISCLOSE HIS MEDICAL CONDITION to anybody he does not want to! Obviously I can't stress that last sentence enough.

mrveggieman
04-09-2012, 10:20 AM
A - Show me where he " freaks out" on them.

2 - Yes, it is difficult to carry my MRI results with me everywhere I go. It's a 6 page report.

3 - Your logic is anything BUT logical.

4 - I'm pretty sure you just go against the people who complain and believe the establishment is always right, so you would side with authorities on any subject.

5 - If I should be carrying my papers, you should too. Then every time a cop sees you, you can show your identification. That would be the best system I think. The Germans did it a few years back and everything worked out ok there, right?

Didn't they have something just like that in the states? It was called jim crow laws. Oh my bad they still do if you go to the wrong neighboorhood and fail the brown bag test.

duane1969
04-09-2012, 10:22 AM
One doesn't need to toss a cash register or flip a grocery cart to get charged with disorderly conduct. <br />
<br />
A person can be charged with disorderly conduct if the police say &quot;Go stand over there and...

duane1969
04-09-2012, 10:24 AM
Didn't they have something just like that in the states? It was called jim crow laws. Oh my bad they still do if you go to the wrong neighboorhood and fail the brown bag test.

This disucssion is not about race. Please stay on topic.

mrveggieman
04-09-2012, 10:38 AM
This disucssion is not about race. Please stay on topic.

You are right but it is about IDs and being forced to show papers to anyone for any reason upon demand.

duane1969
04-09-2012, 10:40 AM
You are right but it is about IDs and being forced to show papers to anyone for any reason upon demand.

No, it is about a guy who looked like a kid being asked for ID to buy beer and getting arrested because he made a big deal over being questioned if he was really 22 years old.

shrewsbury
04-09-2012, 10:59 AM
at least he was white so we don't have to hear about this being a racist plot

Wickabee
04-09-2012, 12:22 PM
No, it is about a guy who looked like a kid being asked for ID to buy beer and getting arrested because he made a big deal over being questioned if he was really 22 years old.
Except for the part where he was the one who asked for the police to be phoned...

shrewsbury
04-09-2012, 12:34 PM
be careful what you ask for

duane1969
04-09-2012, 12:58 PM
Except for the part where he was the one who asked for the police to be phoned...

Relevance to what veggie said?...

Wickabee
04-09-2012, 12:59 PM
Yeah. Ask for the cops to be called and get arrested on a trumped up charge.

Wickabee
04-09-2012, 12:59 PM
Relevance to what veggie said?...
I was responding to you...

Star_Cards
04-09-2012, 02:28 PM
I tend to assume that if he was arrested, he did something to cause him to be arrested. That said I know that cops are not always on the up and up and there's not any real info about what he did to...

Wickabee
04-09-2012, 02:50 PM
What's sauce for the goose...

Star_Cards
04-09-2012, 03:52 PM
just pointing out that you saying he was arrested on trumped up charges is just as presumptuous, if not more, than people presuming that he was arrested on legitimate charges. I say, if not more,...

Wickabee
04-09-2012, 03:57 PM
And I was hoping someone would point that out. The two are no different, yet some here seem to think it's okay to go one way (with the authorities) but so very wrong to go the other way.

There is no evidence whatsoever that it went either way, but this guy is a loser and in idiot. Just pointing out some hypocrisy.

duane1969
04-09-2012, 03:58 PM

Wickabee
04-09-2012, 03:59 PM
Really? Is that so? You don't say!

I'll give it a minute for the point to sink in, thanks for playing.

shrewsbury
04-09-2012, 04:05 PM
if you get yourself arrested for something you could have easily avoided, then yes, you are an idiot and a loser

but i know, THE MAN is out to get everyone, and he is just an innocent bystander trying to get what is rightfully his

duane1969
04-09-2012, 04:07 PM
And I was hoping someone would point that out. The two are no different, yet some here seem to think it's okay to go one way (with the authorities) but so very wrong to go the other way.

There is no evidence whatsoever that it went either way, but this guy is a loser and in idiot. Just pointing out some hypocrisy.

There is plenty of evidence.

1) The store personnel say he was cursing and being disruptive and refused to leave when asked.
2) He admits he was cursing and being disruptive.
3) When the police arrived he cursed them as well. When they told him that he should leave and go buy his beer elsewhere he refused to do leave again.

That is the epitome of disorderly conduct. You can not curse out employees, curse out cops and refuse to leave a privately owned business when told to and think that it will not result in getting arrested.

http://www.wistv.com/story/17338890/man-who-looks-like-teenager-arrested-trying-to-buy-beer

duane1969
04-09-2012, 04:09 PM
Really? Is that so? You don't say!

I'll give it a minute for the point to sink in, thanks for playing.

Those are your words in case you missed that.

The difference between you and I is I have facts as presented by witnesses and the police to base my opinion on. Yours is based on...well, nothing.

Wickabee
04-09-2012, 06:13 PM
Those are your words in case you missed that.

The difference between you and I is I have facts as presented by witnesses and the police to base my opinion on. Yours is based on...well, nothing.
I'm going to give a few minutes (hint: read the post right before yours...)

Star_Cards
04-10-2012, 01:10 PM
I definitely understand that there are instances were police over step their bounds and trump up charges, but statistically speaking there are way more legitimate arrests than there are are trumped...

Star_Cards
04-10-2012, 01:12 PM
There is plenty of evidence.

1) The store personnel say he was cursing and being disruptive and refused to leave when asked.
2) He admits he was cursing and being disruptive.
3) When the police arrived he cursed them as well. When they told him that he should leave and go buy his beer elsewhere he refused to do leave again.

That is the epitome of disorderly conduct. You can not curse out employees, curse out cops and refuse to leave a privately owned business when told to and think that it will not result in getting arrested.

http://www.wistv.com/story/17338890/man-who-looks-like-teenager-arrested-trying-to-buy-beer

sounds like disorderly conduct to me.

Wickabee
04-10-2012, 02:33 PM
Funny every time I read the story it only says he was cursing. It says nothing of being disruptive, it says nothing of cursing at police, just that he used curse words so my question is:

Are you guys speculating or outright making things up?

mrveggieman
04-10-2012, 02:54 PM
Are you guys speculating or outright making things up?

On P&R? Oh no that never happens here. Our members only post 100% verified, accurate and truthful information. :sign0020: