PDA

View Full Version : Marion Barry apologizes for comment on Asians

pwaldo
04-05-2012, 08:54 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/barry-apologizes-asian-businesses-215408295.html

duane1969
04-05-2012, 09:10 PM
See, that is just more proof that those dang conservatives are just a bunch of racist! Oh wait, Barry is a Democrat...OOOPPS!!!!

And contrary to the Yahoo! report, CNN is reporting that he is defending his statement, not apologizing for it.
http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/04/05/marion-barrys-remarks-on-asians-dirty-shops-ignite-criticism-after-primary-win/

mrveggieman
04-06-2012, 07:58 AM
I grew up in the dc area so I am very familiar with mayor barry. Some would say that's barry being barry. I'm not going to defend what he said but I am going to say I understand why he said it. DC is a majority black city and I feel that he was saying that they need more black business in the city, especially restaurants. For example when we are hungry the first thing that the average kid thinks about is running to the chinese carryout. Depending on what side of town your are in some of those carryouts are not as nice and clean as others. It would be nice if there were more alternatives to eat from up there besides the chinese carryout that is on every corner. For example here in atlanta there are a lot of black owned southern soul food restaurants in addition to the normal chinese carryouts. It would be nice if they had more of them in dc.

tsjct
04-06-2012, 08:03 AM
I will be in going to DC while i am in Baltimore for the Nationals this year. I guess i better take a sack lunch if the only thing to eat in DC is Chinese food. I thought surely there were other places to eat.

mrveggieman
04-06-2012, 08:12 AM
I will be in going to DC while i am in Baltimore for the Nationals this year. I guess i better take a sack lunch if the only thing to eat in DC is Chinese food. I thought surely there were other places to eat.

There are a few good non chinese restaurants. I would reccomend Ben's Chili Bowl in NW DC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qO0mPafUiYU

shrewsbury
04-06-2012, 08:25 AM
well if they moved in, got the business started, then they have rights. why doesn't barry open a restaurant?
apparently no one cares or they would open a restaurant and if they are so bad where are the health inspectors?

people like to complain and say stuff isn't unfair, but often it is the same people waiting for someone else to change it, it's America, change it yourself, just takes hard work

duane1969
04-06-2012, 09:55 AM
I grew up in the dc area so I am very familiar with mayor barry. Some would say that's barry being barry. I'm not going to defend what he said but I am going to say I understand why he said it. DC is a majority black city and I feel that he was saying that they need more black business in the city, especially restaurants. For example when we are hungry the first thing that the average kid thinks about is running to the chinese carryout. Depending on what side of town your are in some of those carryouts are not as nice and clean as others. It would be nice if there were more alternatives to eat from up there besides the chinese carryout that is on every corner. For example here in atlanta there are a lot of black owned southern soul food restaurants in addition to the normal chinese carryouts. It would be nice if they had more of them in dc.

I understand what you are saying but that is not what he said. He specifically said that Asian run businesses need to be closed down and black businesses opened in their places. Later, after he realized that he had stuck his foot in his mouth with yet another racist comment, he then revised his statement and said that he meant restaurants.

His original statement is:

"We got to do something about these Asians coming in and opening up businesses and dirty shops. ... They ought to go. I'm going to say that right now. But we need African-American businesspeople to be able to take their places, too."

Not only is it bigoted to claim that Asians are the only ones who have "dirty shops" it is equally bigoted to think that only blacks should be opening businesses in their place. Putting down one race and promoting another is racism and bigotry in it's purest form.

If this was a person of ANY other race saying "We got to do something about these blacks opening businesses and dirty shops and we need (insert other race) to take their place" you would be hating on them and ripping them apart. The fact that you are trying to exaplin away his bigoted comments is disappointing. Marion Barry is just as much a racist bigot as the KKK. His record of racist comments speaks for itself. Bigotry and racism are bigotry and racism, no matter what the skin color of the person is.

mrveggieman
04-06-2012, 10:39 AM
I understand what you are saying but that is not what he said. He specifically said that Asian run businesses need to be closed down and black businesses opened in their places. Later, after he realized that he had stuck his foot in his mouth with yet another racist comment, he then revised his statement and said that he meant restaurants.

His original statement is:

Not only is it bigoted to claim that Asians are the only ones who have "dirty shops" it is equally bigoted to think that only blacks should be opening businesses in their place. Putting down one race and promoting another is racism and bigotry in it's purest form.

If this was a person of ANY other race saying "We got to do something about these blacks opening businesses and dirty shops and we need (insert other race) to take their place" you would be hating on them and ripping them apart. The fact that you are trying to exaplin away his bigoted comments is disappointing. Marion Barry is just as much a racist bigot as the KKK. His record of racist comments speaks for itself. Bigotry and racism are bigotry and racism, no matter what the skin color of the person is.

Yes I agree that the way he said it was boarderline racist and hateful but I knowing what I know about mayor barry with all of his many flaws I cannot honestly say that the man is racist. A drug abusing womanizer mabey but a racist no. In dc or any major city for that matter compare the restaurants one particular side of town to another and you will see exactly what I am talking about. Hell even the people who own those so called "dirty" shops will not eat there nor will they let their kids eat there. On the cool I am not mad at the asians or anyone else openeing a business if people are going to support them. It would just be nice to have some better alternatives than slop that is worse than what they serve at some prisons.

ensbergcollector
04-06-2012, 11:20 AM
Yes I agree that the way he said it was boarderline racist and hateful but I knowing what I know about mayor barry with all of his many flaws I cannot honestly say that the man is racist. A drug abusing womanizer mabey but a racist no. In dc or any major city for that matter compare the restaurants one particular side of town to another and you will see exactly what I am talking about. Hell even the people who own those so called "dirty" shops will not eat there nor will they let their kids eat there. On the cool I am not mad at the asians or anyone else openeing a business if people are going to support them. It would just be nice to have some better alternatives than slop that is worse than what they serve at some prisons.

i don't even care if this gets me kicked out of the P&R forum. you make me sick. you sit here day after day and label anyone and everyone as a racist who even look at obama or any other black wrong. you generalize and flat out lie about people's beliefs so that you can accuse people of racism and other hatreds that are complete fabrications. But when you are faced with a blatantly racist comment by someone who is black, you sit here and have the nerve to defend it. There is always an excuse when it is someone in power who happens to be black. you have defended the black panthers despite their putting a bounty on someone's head and asked that only blacks come help them. you are now defending this. This is blatant racism but you can't allow yourself to believe that anyone who is black could be racist. That attitude does more damage to race relations in this country than anything else. And what is worse, the black people who I know, am friends with, go to church with, and consider some of my best friends, are sickened by the words of people like barry and sharpton. They are sickened to know that these people are propped up to speak on behalf of black people and are defended by a large portion of the black population who apparently don't know any better. that is just sad.

mrveggieman
04-06-2012, 11:25 AM
i don't even care if this gets me kicked out of the P&R forum. you make me sick. you sit here day after day and label anyone and everyone as a racist who even look at obama or any other black wrong. you generalize and flat out lie about people's beliefs so that you can accuse people of racism and other hatreds that are complete fabrications. But when you are faced with a blatantly racist comment by someone who is black, you sit here and have the nerve to defend it. There is always an excuse when it is someone in power who happens to be black. you have defended the black panthers despite their putting a bounty on someone's head and asked that only blacks come help them. you are now defending this. This is blatant racism but you can't allow yourself to believe that anyone who is black could be racist. That attitude does more damage to race relations in this country than anything else. And what is worse, the black people who I know, am friends with, go to church with, and consider some of my best friends, are sickened by the words of people like barry and sharpton. They are sickened to know that these people are propped up to speak on behalf of black people and are defended by a large portion of the black population who apparently don't know any better. that is just sad.

Why don't you tell us how you really feel ensberg?

Star_Cards
04-06-2012, 11:33 AM
How in the crap is Maron Barry getting even one vote, let alone 72% of them?? I guess maybe he's actually done some things locally and all I know is from his scandals. I'd just think that his scandalous past would far outweigh other things when looking at him as a legitimate candidate for any office.

I get that DC is largely black and I get that people would hope that black business owners would be popping up. I have no info on the area but I'd assume that there has to be some black ran businesses. I'd assume that if a person who was black had a good business idea and the means to open that business they'd have no problem. Maybe Barry needs to look into why more blacks in his area aren't opening businesses and not focus on getting the asian owned businesses to be replaced. ONe would think that businesses owned by anyone could co-exist.

and yes, I agree that barry's comment are racist. If a shop is dirty it has nothing to do with race. Maybe barry can enforce the rules of the health department and shut down the places that don't meet the guidelines and not worry about the race of the owner.

mrveggieman
04-06-2012, 11:42 AM

On the cool ensberg I am not mad at you for speaking your mind. We have disagreed on other issues before, disagree on this one and will disagree in the future. As always I stand by everything that I say on here unless someone can provide proof that I am wrong. Yes the manner in which what mayor barry said what he said was very disrecpectful and insensitive but I like I said I have lived in the dc area for many years and am very knowledgable about mayor barry. The man is far for perfect but I does not believe that he hates asians, whites or any other race for that matter. Mayor Barry (I know his name is Marion and he is a councilman not the mayor but since he was the mayor when I was growing up there I will always call him Mayor Barry) represents word 8 in SE DC which is a predomintly lower class black district. If anyone has ever been to that side of town you will realize the lack of quality recources over there such as lack of jobs as well as lack of access to healthy foods. Again I was offended in the manner in which he said the message because it appeared that he was throwing another race under the bus but I can assure that was not his intention and that he only had the best intrests of his constitutents at heart.

mikesilvia
04-07-2012, 09:31 AM
Let's do a test. In the article, Replace Barry's name with any white politician and Asians with blacks. Would he be able to get away with it?

Honestly, any city that votes in a crack smoking racist year after year is a doomed city.

whereisreggienobl
04-09-2012, 01:37 AM
marion barry is a crackhead, why is anybody taking what he says seriously?

classic footage of marion barry on the arsenio hall show looooool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8vNfLtnHTc

mrveggieman
04-09-2012, 08:38 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8vNfLtnHTc

I love it. That was a classic. :thumb:

mrveggieman
04-09-2012, 08:39 AM
Honestly, any city that votes in a crack smoking racist year after year is a doomed city.

You're right. Look what happened to America after GWB was elected. :thumb:

duane1969
04-09-2012, 09:01 AM

It is being talked about because he is still being voted into office year after year. It is an issue because one must assume that if he is making racist comments like this and still getting 70% of the vote them the people he represents must have the same feelings and opinions as him.

You're right. Look what happened to America after GWB was elected. :thumb:

Yes, when all else fails, try to redirtect the commentary to Bush.

You can deflect all you want. It won't change the fact that Barry is a bigoted racist and anyone who supports him is as well.

mrveggieman
04-09-2012, 09:21 AM
It is being talked about because he is still being voted into office year after year. It is an issue because one must assume that if he is making racist comments like this and still getting 70% of the vote them the people he represents must have the same feelings and opinions as him.

Yes, when all else fails, try to redirtect the commentary to Bush.

You can deflect all you want. It won't change the fact that Barry is a bigoted racist and anyone who supports him is as well.

I apologize. Ya'll were talking about a racist crackhead who held office in dc and I thought that you were talking about your buddy GWB. My bad.

duane1969
04-09-2012, 09:32 AM
I apologize. Ya'll were talking about a racist crackhead who held office in dc and I thought that you were talking about your buddy GWB. My bad.

So first you defend his racist comments and when you are called on that you resort to repeatedly trying to direct attention away from the racist of discussion and generate a faux racist discussion.

Hey there is a thread about Black Panthers wanting to kill all whites and talking about starting a race war. Why don't you go there and tell us how right they are and blame Bush over there too. It won't be any less pointless or daft than it is here.