PDA

View Full Version : Santorum ends his run for the presidency

pghin08
04-10-2012, 04:21 PM
The anti-Santorum part of me rejoices, but I'm sure that his daughter Bella had a lot to do with his withdrawal. No matter how much I disagree with him politically, I really hope his daughter continues to get better. He'll be a political player for years to come.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2012/04/10/santorum_ends_campaign_but_promises_to_keep_fighti ng_113794.html

mrveggieman
04-10-2012, 04:23 PM
I wish that he would have stayed in so that President Obama could have destroyed him in November.

boba
04-10-2012, 04:34 PM
Too bad, I really think he had the best chance against Obama.
To me, Romney is just another McCain.

mrveggieman
04-10-2012, 04:41 PM
Too bad, I really think he had the best chance against Obama.
To me, Romney is just another McCain.

I think Romney will give Obama a better fight than Santorum. Romney will draw in some of the moderate and on the fence voters. Santorum is too exreme.

Star_Cards
04-10-2012, 04:59 PM
I agree in thinking Romney stands a much better chance against Obama. Santorum just seems way too old fashioned in some of his stances to get the win. I still think Romney won't win, but feel he'll have better numbers than Santorum.

AUTaxMan
04-10-2012, 06:07 PM
Romney has the better chance against Obama. I think he will win.

hawk2618
04-10-2012, 06:17 PM
Getting Bin Laden while in office.I can't see how the man can lose,even though the economy sucks.That was huge to America!! ~~Dave C.

marekschwarz33
04-10-2012, 08:35 PM
Well, this pretty much ends Ron Paul's shot at getting the nomination. His brokered convention strategy will not work if Santorum isn't around to pick up delegates from Romney. I'll continue to support Dr. Paul until he drops out but Gary Johnson will likely get my vote in the general election. Obama and Romney just do not appeal to me.

duane1969
04-10-2012, 09:16 PM
I think Romney will give Obama a better fight than Santorum. Romney will draw in some of the moderate and on the fence voters. Santorum is too exreme.

Every vote that Romney gains from the middle he loses from the right. He will gain moderate votes because he is a conservative liberal, but he will lose the vote of hardline conservatives and conservatives like me who believe he is only a conservative in name.

boba
04-10-2012, 10:26 PM
Every vote that Romney gains from the middle he loses from the right. He will gain moderate votes because he is a conservative liberal, but he will lose the vote of hardline conservatives and conservatives like me who believe he is only a conservative in name.

Well put.

AUTaxMan
04-11-2012, 12:43 AM

Disagree. He will lose some of those, but the conservatives will generally rally around them because they know this election is more about defeating obama than electing a true conservative.

NY Sports Teams
04-11-2012, 02:06 AM
This will be the first year I won't vote for one of the major parties candidates. A vote for Willard Mitt Romney is not much better than a vote for Barack Hussein Obama.

...Rick

Star_Cards
04-11-2012, 10:32 AM
This will be the first year I don't vote for one of the major parties candidate. A vote for Willard Mitt Romney is not much better than a vote for Barack Hussein Obama.

...Rick

That is exactly why Obama should pick up his second term fairly easily.

AUTaxMan
04-11-2012, 11:37 AM
A vote for Willard Mitt Romney is not much better than a vote for Barack Hussein Obama.

...Rick

That's simply not true.

shrewsbury
04-11-2012, 12:02 PM
Getting Bin Laden while in office.I can't see how the man can lose,even though the economy sucks.That was huge to America!!

anyone could have gave the go ahead, he had little to do with the effort, just there to get the positive results of someone elses hard work

mrveggieman
04-11-2012, 12:20 PM
anyone could have gave the go ahead, he had little to do with the effort, just there to get the positive results of someone elses hard work

What didn't the previous guy give the go ahead if it was that easy?

Star_Cards
04-11-2012, 12:26 PM
Getting Bin Laden while in office.I can't see how the man can lose,even though the economy sucks.That was huge to America!! ~~Dave C.

I doubt the killing of Bin Laden will play any sort of roll in this election. If it were, Obama would be hanging his hat on it and he just hasn't done that since the time it happened. Sure it's worth a mention, maybe here and there, but it's not a show stopper.

AUTaxMan
04-11-2012, 01:04 PM
I doubt the killing of Bin Laden will play any sort of roll in this election. If it were, Obama would be hanging his hat on it and he just hasn't done that since the time it happened. Sure it's worth a mention, maybe here and there, but it's not a show stopper.

True. It's not like he had anything to do with the military operation other than say "go" when the military told him they'd found bin laden.

pspstatus
04-11-2012, 06:00 PM
I'm pretty happy to see him go. But I'm very sad to see how far this religious zealot got in these times. But fear not people he's only making sure that he doesn't ruin himself for the next go round.

boba
04-11-2012, 06:04 PM
I'm pretty happy to see him go. But I'm very sad to see how far this religious zealot got in these times. But fear not people he's only making sure that he doesn't ruin himself for the next go round.

Why are people saying garbage like this, I think these are perfect times for someone who actually stands by his religion in his politics to run for office. I think you could see that by his surge.

pspstatus
04-11-2012, 06:21 PM
Why are people saying garbage like this, I think these are perfect times for someone who actually stands by his religion in his politics to run for office. I think you could see that by his surge.

That's exactly why I'm so sad. I don't want my leaders decisions to be made based on his religious beliefs. Freedom of religion also freedom from religion.

PS Thanks for calling my opinion garbage. You're obviously very open minded to civilized debate with people who disagree with you.

AUTaxMan
04-11-2012, 06:23 PM
That's exactly why I'm so sad. I don't want my leaders decisions to be made based on his religious beliefs. Freedom of religion also freedom from religion.

PS Thanks for calling my opinion garbage. You're obviously very open minded to civilized debate with people who disagree with you.

What does freedom from religion mean?

pspstatus
04-11-2012, 06:45 PM
What does freedom from religion mean?

Freedom from religion means that another person's religious beliefs should not have influence over another persons religious/non religious beliefs.

AUTaxMan
04-11-2012, 06:50 PM
Freedom from religion means that another person's religious beliefs should not have influence over another persons religious/non religious beliefs.

How can you decipher when a person's decisions are based on religious beliefs from when they are not?

pspstatus
04-11-2012, 07:18 PM
In my experience people will usually say what their reasons are for making decisions. Or in the case of Santorum he has made it quite clear that religion will play a large role in his decision making.

boba
04-11-2012, 07:38 PM

I didn't call you garbage, if you look at my post, it's pretty obvious that I called the bolded part of the quote garbage.

boba
04-11-2012, 07:40 PM
In my experience people will usually say what their reasons are for making decisions. Or in the case of Santorum he has made it quite clear that religion will play a large role in his decision making.

Oh the horror, a non hypocritical politician! Thats something to hate!

steelers#1fan
04-11-2012, 08:21 PM
In my opinion, we need more religion in Washington. I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm tired of the corruptness and deception that goes on there. Those aren't acts of a true Christian. All I can say is, it might have made believers out of non believers if Santorum had ran and got in and turned this country around while standing for religious and moral values. Personally, I feel the world has gone down the crapper because so many people have turned their back on God.

duwal
04-11-2012, 08:59 PM

I don't, the more someone stands by their religion in a political race is more of a reason for me not to vote for them

boba
04-11-2012, 09:13 PM
I don't, the more someone stands by their religion in a political race is more of a reason for me not to vote for them

Thats your personal preference, the numbers show otherwise.

AUTaxMan
04-11-2012, 09:28 PM

Are decisions influenced by one's religion necessarily bad decisions?

T-206
04-11-2012, 09:44 PM
I would have someone with religion other than an Atheist.
One thing I have learned from Obama. " If his mouth is moving he is lying"
I would vote for a gerbil before I ever vote for him. He spent my hard earned money only on things that failed, his health care plan alomost killed my dad, he thinks borrowing more money to get this country out of debt is the way to go. Economics 101 you cant borrow your way out of debt, He spends more money than he gets and cant go by a budget, ( in my family that is the way we spend money by a budget but I guess hes too good for that) I paid 20,000 in taxes last year just to give it to somebody who wont get off the couch and do something for themselves.

Santorum was my first choice looks like I am stuck with Romney so be it. Anything to get obama "Osama" out of office. He just better kill that health care and do the etch-a- sketch thing and erase it from the face of the country.

pspstatus
04-12-2012, 12:41 AM
I didn't call you garbage, if you look at my post, it's pretty obvious that I called the bolded part of the quote garbage.

I didn't say you called me garbage. I said you called my opinion garbage.

pspstatus
04-12-2012, 12:43 AM

Non hypocritical politicians do not exist.

pspstatus
04-12-2012, 12:51 AM

Not necessarily. But a leader has to represent all their people.

T-206
04-12-2012, 01:05 AM

Well he didnt represent anything I beleive in ever since he took office. I even gave him a chance but now I wouldnt give him the smashed bug under my boot. He takes our money and gives it to people who will not do anything for themselves.

I have no problem giving my money who has fallen on hard times but not a way of living like most of them are doing and that definitly includes the illegal immigrants.

So why is he letting illegals vote? Ill tell you its the only way he can get reelected along with Acorn and all that mumbo jumbo.

You can make some people happy some of them time but you cannot make everyone happy at any time.

AUTaxMan
04-12-2012, 01:11 AM

If I am a leader with a values system rooted in Judeo-Christian ethics, am I supposed to abandon that values system in decision making situations? What if most of the people I represent share the same values system?

boba
04-12-2012, 01:19 AM
Non hypocritical politicians do not exist.

Yet you don't like him because he isn't hypocritical in that area.

If you think Santorum is a religious zealot, you should see what Romney believes...

NY Sports Teams
04-12-2012, 02:54 AM
That's simply not true.

Fiscally you are correct, but socially he is no better than any liberals. Because of his social beliefs he will not get my vote. It really does not matter because since 1960 77% of the time New York has voted like the left coast.

...Rick

andrewhoya
04-12-2012, 08:41 AM
Fiscally you are correct, but socially he is no better than any liberals. Because of his social beliefs he will not get my vote. It really does not matter because since 1960 77% of the time New York has voted like the left coast.

...Rick

+1. I hope Romney doesn't win. I dont like Obama, either, but Romney is that much worse.

mrveggieman
04-12-2012, 09:38 AM

Last time I checked didn't Osama bin Laden claim that his decisions were based on his religion? I'm sorry but I don't want a fanatic from any religion wheather it be christanity, islam, judiasm, budism, hinduism or any thing else making politicial decisions that will affect how I live my life.

AUTaxMan
04-12-2012, 10:49 AM

...Rick

Social issues in this election are not nearly as important as economic issues and the attack by Obama on freedom in general.

mrveggieman
04-12-2012, 10:59 AM
the attack by Obama on freedom in general.

What are you talking about? Santorum is the right wing religious zelout who wants to control someone's religion and what they do in the privacy and comfort of their own bedroom.

*censored*
04-12-2012, 12:07 PM
Terminating his campaign this late in its development, eh? His choice.

boba
04-12-2012, 12:45 PM
]Last time I checked didn't Osama bil Laden claim that his decisions were based on his religion?[/b] I'm sorry but I don't want a fanatic from any religion wheather it be christanity, islam, judiasm, budism, hinduism or any thing else making politicial decisions that will affect how I live my life.

He obviously is a hypocrite about this, as almost all of his social stances are contrary to Biblical teaching.

habsheaven
04-12-2012, 01:01 PM

I get it. That's funny.

pghin08
04-12-2012, 01:06 PM

That's hilarious.

Star_Cards
04-12-2012, 01:39 PM

nice!!

pspstatus
04-12-2012, 05:40 PM
If I am a leader with a values system rooted in Judeo-Christian ethics, am I supposed to abandon that values system in decision making situations? What if most of the people I represent share the same values system?

If you're making decisions for yourself you can use whatever values system you want. But if you're making decisions that affect everyone then you're religion should not be the driving force behind those decisions.

If a LARGE majority of the people you represent share the same values system then sure it would make sense to base your decisions on that belief system. In a country like the US though there are just way too many different people to let one religion influence the decisions that affect everyone.

pspstatus
04-12-2012, 05:47 PM
Yet you don't like him because he isn't hypocritical in that area.

If you think Santorum is a religious zealot, you should see what Romney believes...

I'm aware of what Romney believes and have a pretty fair handle on mormonism. Believing something doesn't make you a zealot. Pushing your beliefs on others does. And quite frankly it doesn't matter to me whether he's hypocritical about his religion or not. I don't like him because his religion plays such a large role in his politics.

AUTaxMan
04-12-2012, 06:38 PM
If you're making decisions for yourself you can use whatever values system you want. But if you're making decisions that affect everyone then you're religion should not be the driving force behind those decisions.

If a LARGE majority of the people you represent share the same values system then sure it would make sense to base your decisions on that belief system. In a country like the US though there are just way too many different people to let one religion influence the decisions that affect everyone.

So who determines what ethical standards to use in policy and decision-making, since you can't use your religious ones?

pspstatus
04-12-2012, 07:51 PM
So who determines what ethical standards to use in policy and decision-making, since you can't use your religious ones?

Common sense should determine ethical standards used in policy making decisions.

boba
04-12-2012, 08:09 PM
Hypothetically, what if the majority of the people you represent were very pro life and against homosexuality, but you are for both of those. Should you change your stance?

pspstatus
04-13-2012, 03:36 AM
Hypothetically, what if the majority of the people you represent were very pro life and against homosexuality, but you are for both of those. Should you change your stance?

Even hypothetically I'm not sure I can answer that question. A place with a large majority of people against those types of social issues would never have me as a representative.

NY Sports Teams
04-13-2012, 06:54 AM
Social issues in this election are not nearly as important as economic issues and the attack by Obama on freedom in general.

I do agree this election will hinge on the economy. I'm not worried about economic issues near as much as I am with social issues. No one will ever get my vote if they are not a fiscal AND social conservative.

...Rick

mrveggieman
04-13-2012, 09:58 AM

I would like to take a shot at your question. Let's say I was in office and the people who I elected were vastily pro abortion (since I am anti abortion) and were against gay marriage. (I believe that homosexuality is morally wrong but I do support and defend another consenting adult to do as the please in the comfort and privacy of their own bedroom). As far as making political decision I would alway pray for wisdom and I would pray that God would help me make the best decision for all of the people that I represent not just the people who voted for me. That being said I would explain to the pro abortion people that I believe that murdering a living person is wrong just like mudering an unborn person is wrong. I don't need any relgion to tell me that. As far as homosexuality although my religion says that is wrong, we can not let the religious majority take away rights from the minority. If that costs me votes so be it I am the one who has to look at myself in the mirror each morning.

Star_Cards
04-13-2012, 10:11 AM

I wouldn't be willing to represent these people nor would I assume that these people would vote to have me represent them. If I somehow found myself in that position I would still believe what I believe and not change stances. It's almost an impossible hypothetical because a lot of people look at these two issues as major decision making issues. I just don't see how a majority would vote me into office if these issues where hot button topics.

boba
04-13-2012, 02:30 PM
Even hypothetically I'm not sure I can answer that question. A place with a large majority of people against those types of social issues would never have me as a representative.

I wouldn't be willing to represent these people nor would I assume that these people would vote to have me represent them. If I somehow found myself in that position I would still believe what I believe and not change stances. It's almost an impossible hypothetical because a lot of people look at these two issues as major decision making issues. I just don't see how a majority would vote me into office if these issues where hot button topics.

This is exactly my point! If Santorum's religious beliefs-policies are so out dated, then he wouldn't have make such huge gains. I think because of these beliefs he made the huge gains. There is a large growing group of people out there that believe the same as Santorum on these issues.

mrveggieman
04-13-2012, 02:56 PM
This is exactly my point! If Santorum's religious beliefs-policies are so out dated, then he wouldn't have make such huge gains. I think because of these beliefs he made the huge gains. There is a large growing group of people out there that believe the same as Santorum on these issues.

Even though santorum has antiquated religious believes there are a lot of people who still agree with him many of them actually vote.

habsheaven
04-13-2012, 02:57 PM

Santorum's problem is that there is a LARGER group that do not believe the same. That is why he would not have won the election and could not win the nomination.

pspstatus
04-13-2012, 07:05 PM

And that's what saddens me. That there are still that many people who are willing to let religion dictate social policy and that is why he made such huge gains. But just because a majority of people believe something that doesn't necessarily make it right.

But while were on the topic of a majority I have to disagree that that group is growing. I think that group is actually dwindling which is why social progress has been possible.