PDA

View Full Version : OT: question about trolling motor mount for a 5 person inflatable boat. Any boat ppl?

will22clark
04-13-2012, 07:31 PM
close thread

Aknot
04-13-2012, 07:50 PM
All I saw was trolling and I honestly thought something else..... :D

will22clark
04-13-2012, 08:10 PM
sorry im not following

Aknot
04-13-2012, 08:44 PM
sorry im not following

Trolling is the act of "deliberately, cleverly, and secretly pissing people off, usually via the internet, using dialogue."

All I saw was OT Question about trolling so I thought that trolling and not the other.

will22clark
04-13-2012, 08:49 PM
still not following

JWinn
04-13-2012, 08:57 PM
Kinda hard to tell from just pictures, but lets get a little more info.

You have the inflatable, right? Does it have the wooden mount on it?

That Minn Kota motor should fit just fine as long as you have something hard, vertical, and fairly thick to mount it to. About an inch and half thick should do it, assuming you wont be running rapids. No more than three inches thick though. I don't think the mounting part of the motor will fit over anything thicker than that. It might though depending on the model.

Does your boat have a mount like is shown in the first photo?

Also, you'll need to hook that to a battery obviously. I don't see clips on the end of the cable on the motor.

will22clark
04-13-2012, 09:05 PM
yes, thats the exact model boat that I have except it doesnt have any of the motor parts attached as seen in the 1st illustration. I am thinking of putting the trolling motor with the shown attachments on the 2nd illustration and wondering what else I would need besides the battery. Im guessing I will need a piece of wood and the ropes. But not sure what else

Edit-I made a mistake by saying ropes when they are actually some kind of metal bars

will22clark
04-13-2012, 09:10 PM
also the directions say the motor shouldnt exceed 18 pounds. So does that mean 18 pounds of thrust or 18 pounds of weight? The boat says it has a 1000 pound total capacity of people

JWinn
04-13-2012, 09:13 PM
Ok.

As long as your inflatable has the black rubber attachments, all you should need is the MOTOR MOUNT KIT, the two aluminum bars that attach to the boat, and the piece of wood.

You mount the motor to that, hook it up, and should be good to go.

I'd try the manufacturer for your boat, and see about getting that kit.

The motor comes on and off easily. Just twist the two big black wing nut screws to tighten or loosen.

Does your inflatable have a good spot for a large battery?

JWinn
04-13-2012, 09:16 PM
also the directions say the motor shouldnt exceed 18 pounds. So does that mean 18 pounds of thrust or 18 pounds of weight? The boat says it has a 1000 pound total capacity of people

18 pounds of weight. Should not be a problem. I have two , and the larger one is 36 lbs thrust, and cant weigh more than 10 or 12 pounds.

will22clark
04-13-2012, 09:19 PM
plenty of space for battery. I think thats all I need, thanks for the info

JWinn
04-13-2012, 09:20 PM
The really big thing about the weight is balance.

They tell you a max, 1000 total, people AND stuff, including the motor. (big inflatable!)

The concern here is you putting too much weight all in the rear of the boat, you, the motor, the battery, all back there. Nothing up front.

You just want to make sure your properly inflated, and your weight is fairly balanced.

That 18 pounds is probably the limit for the mount itself.

JWinn
04-13-2012, 09:22 PM
plenty of space for battery. I think thats all I need, thanks for the info

Happy boating!

Catch a whopper for me! haha

will22clark
04-13-2012, 09:27 PM
thread can be closed