PDA

View Full Version : "Keeping it Real" as viewed by Charles Barkley

ensbergcollector
04-16-2012, 06:52 PM
in numerous talks about herman cain and pretty much any black male who decided to be a republican, a lot of our democratic members here have called them uncle tom's and other things for not "remembering where they came from" and doing things to help out the black community.
One of my favorite books is Charles Barkley's "I may be wrong but I doubt it." One of the chapters is titled "Keeping it Real" and while I highly encourage everyone to read it, here are some excerpts.

"Keeping it real is irrelevant, or at least it should be. It is only relevant to the people who want you not to grow and experience new things in life. So, if you achieve and become accomplished, you're caught in a trap. This definitely has to be a black thing, something we put on each other."

"You are supposed to grow into new interests and new relationships" "Keeping it real sounds like an excuse. To me it sounds like the new way for my own people to tie me down and keep me from working toward something new. That whole notion had to come from somebody not doing anything, not accomplishing anything. They want to keep you right alongside them so that you can take care of them."

There is an entire paragraph on the idea of calling someone an uncle tom. The idea that if a black person tries to be successful it is viewed by other blacks as "trying to be white."

I (ensbergcollector) will never understand the idea that if a black candidate is not in favor of social programs that he has turned his back on his race. What does it say about black people's view of their own race if they only way to support your race is by supporting social welfare programs.

I know this won't change anyone's mind. Most people here are pretty locked into their thinking. I have just had this book on my mind for a while and finally had the time to grab it and post.

habsheaven
04-16-2012, 07:31 PM
You won't get any complaints from me. It's a rare day indeed, but I agree with you.

AUTaxMan
04-16-2012, 08:36 PM
I'm very surprised that Charles Barkley wrote that.

ensbergcollector
04-16-2012, 08:52 PM
I'm very surprised that Charles Barkley wrote that.

the book is awesome. i don't agree with everything he writes but i enjoy reading it

Star_Cards
04-17-2012, 10:13 AM
I agree. I don't get that either. I understand being a certain race, but at the end of the day each person is an individual with their own thoughts and opinions.

mrveggieman
04-17-2012, 10:20 AM
I have never read his book but would like to one day. As far as what he is talking about no black person with any sense would knock another black who became successful. Otherwise we would all be calling President Obama an uncle tom and I don't see too many real blacks calling him that. My spin on it is that some blacks (not all but some) have a crab in the bucket mentality where they are jealous of anyone who does something with themself. Again most blacks are proud of and supportive of another black who does something with his or her life but it's the ones like herman cain and allen west who spit on everything that our forefathers have fought and died for that we have a problem with.

duane1969
04-17-2012, 10:33 AM
I have never read his book but would like to one day. As far as what he is talking about no black person with any sense would knock another black who became successful. Otherwise we would all be calling President Obama an uncle tom and I don't see too many real blacks calling him that. My spin on it is that some blacks (not all but some) have a crab in the bucket mentality where they are jealous of anyone who does something with themself. Again most blacks are proud of and supportive of another black who does something with his or her life but it's the ones like herman cain and allen west who spit on everything that our forefathers have fought and died for that we have a problem with.

For our northern and non-coastal members, you may need to explain the "crab in a bucket" comment LOL

Additionally, how has West spit on everything that your forefathers fought for? I follow West pretty closely and really respect him. I would be curious to know what he has done that you consider to be detrimental to anyone.

ensbergcollector
04-17-2012, 10:40 AM

for the simple fact that you use phrases like "real blacks" and you think there are instances where "uncle tom" is not only valid but needed and proper shows that you are exactly what he was talking about.

mrveggieman
04-17-2012, 10:43 AM
For our northern and non-coastal members, you may need to explain the "crab in a bucket" comment LOL

Additionally, how has West spit on everything that your forefathers fought for? I follow West pretty closely and really respect him. I would be curious to know what he has done that you consider to be detrimental to anyone.

I don't eat crabs but everyone knows how when you boil crabs and one tries to escape the others pull him back in. The same could be said for someone that makes it big and everyone in his/her old neighboorhood is jealous of him. As far as west is concerned he is the main one cheerleading when the republicans try to downgrade president obama. West is too ignorant to understand that a few years ago those same republicans who are out to lynch obama in the media would do the same thing to him in person if they could get away with it.

mrveggieman
04-17-2012, 10:46 AM
for the simple fact that you use phrases like "real blacks" and you think there are instances where "uncle tom" is not only valid but needed and proper shows that you are exactly what he was talking about.

You missed the entire point.

duane1969
04-17-2012, 11:09 AM
I don't eat crabs but everyone knows how when you boil crabs and one tries to escape the others pull him back in. The same could be said for someone that makes it big and everyone in his/her old neighboorhood is jealous of him. As far as west is concerned he is the main one cheerleading when the republicans try to downgrade president obama. West is either too ignorant to understand that a few years ago those same republicans who are out to lynch obama in the media would do the same thing to him in person if they could get away with it.

A black man criticizing Obama does not automatically qualify him as a traitor or not doing what is best. If the criticism is justified then West should be commended for being honest and "keeping it real" rather than criticized for not jumping on the pro-Obama bandwagon just because he is black.

As I asked before, what has West said or done that was detrimental or untrue?

ensbergcollector
04-17-2012, 11:12 AM
You missed the entire point.

unfortunately the problem is that you did. you have the mentality that even if something is wrong, when you do it, there is justification. you can be against blacks who are against successful blacks but when you are, it's different.

mrveggieman
04-17-2012, 11:23 AM
A black man criticizing Obama does not automatically qualify him as a traitor or not doing what is best. If the criticism is justified then West should be commended for being honest and "keeping it real" rather than criticized for not jumping on the pro-Obama bandwagon just because he is black.

As I asked before, what has West said or done that was detrimental or untrue?

You and I both know that the republicans never gave president obama a fair shake and west was the main crab in the bucket that the republicans paraded around. He is a clown who deserves no press.

duane1969
04-17-2012, 11:29 AM
You and I both know that the republicans never gave president obama a fair shake and west was the main crab in the bucket that the republicans paraded around. He is a clown who deserves no press.

All I am asking for is confirmation. If he was saying things that were "spitting in the face of his forefathers" then it should be easy to find and prove.

mrveggieman
04-17-2012, 11:33 AM
All I am asking for is confirmation. If he was saying things that were "spitting in the face of his forefathers" then it should be easy to find and prove.

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2012/02/16/417174/allen-west-15-worst-quotes/

duane1969
04-17-2012, 11:39 AM
Most of those are true, a few may be offensive to some, but none show me that he "spit in the face of his forefathers".

ensbergcollector
04-17-2012, 11:42 AM
wait, when did obama become one of his forefathers?

mrveggieman
04-17-2012, 11:44 AM
wait, when did obama become one of his forefathers?

Obama is not a forefather but Dr. MLK Jr would be proud of our first black president. He would not be proud of a house servant put up by the established to make him look bad.

ensbergcollector
04-17-2012, 11:48 AM
Obama is not a forefather but Dr. MLK Jr would be proud of our first black president. He would not be proud of a house servant put up by the established to make him look bad.

last i checked, MLK asked for a world where we didn't notice the color of a man's skin. I think you might want to reconsider how proud he would have been of everyone touting obama as the nations "first black president." i think he would have been proud and a little sad.

i know he would have been sad to see someone throwing out words like uncle tom and house servant and deciding which blacks are "real blacks" based on whether they agreed with their politics or not. And still referring to white's as "the establishment"

mrveggieman
04-17-2012, 12:14 PM
last i checked, MLK asked for a world where we didn't notice the color of a man's skin. I think you might want to reconsider how proud he would have been of everyone touting obama as the nations "first black president." i think he would have been proud and a little sad.

i know he would have been sad to see someone throwing out words like uncle tom and house servant and deciding which blacks are "real blacks" based on whether they agreed with their politics or not. And still referring to white's as "the establishment"

I totally disagree with you. Yes he fought for people to recognized for the content of the character and not the color of his skin so that is why he would be so proud of president obama. He would not be happy with the republiclowns and their servants trying to tear down president obama and spitting on all the work that he did in paving the way.

ensbergcollector
04-17-2012, 12:21 PM
I totally disagree with you. Yes he fought for people to recognized for the content of the character and not the color of his skin so that is why he would be so proud of president obama. He would not be happy with the republiclowns and their servants trying to tear down president obama and spitting on all the work that he did in paving the way.

dude, really?

uncle tom
real blacks
servants
house servant
the establishment

yeah, you're not racist at all

mrveggieman
04-17-2012, 12:28 PM
dude, really?

uncle tom
real blacks
servants
house servant
the establishment

yeah, you're not racist at all

I can quote some of the words that your conservative leaders use but that would warrant me being suspended or banned from this site. :winking0071:

ensbergcollector
04-17-2012, 12:35 PM
I can quote some of the words that your conservative leaders use but that would warrant me being suspended or banned from this site. :winking0071:

i'm not quoting "leaders" or "democrats" I am quoting you. what does that have to do with "conservative leaders"?

I didn't say blacks are racist. i didn't say democrats or liberals are racist. I said you are.

mrveggieman
04-17-2012, 12:48 PM
i'm not quoting "leaders" or "democrats" I am quoting you. what does that have to do with "conservative leaders"?

I didn't say blacks are racist. i didn't say democrats or liberals are racist. I said you are.

And you and I have set down and met in person when?

ensbergcollector
04-17-2012, 01:01 PM
And you and I have set down and met in person when?

you seem to make assumptions about every politician possible based on a couple of quotes. I think a couple of years worth of posts give me a little insight into your beliefs and thoughts.

and as for quotes you could have about conservative leaders, if they used the kind of language you do, i would be the first to call them racists as well.

mrveggieman
04-17-2012, 01:26 PM
you seem to make assumptions about every politician possible based on a couple of quotes. I think a couple of years worth of posts give me a little insight into your beliefs and thoughts.

and as for quotes you could have about conservative leaders, if they used the kind of language you do, i would be the first to call them racists as well.

Why is it that you and others cheerlead errandboys like herman cain and allen west but anyone that tells blacks to stand up for themselves, don't take any mess and be proud of who they are you call them racists, and accuse them of hating whites and christians?

duane1969
04-17-2012, 01:33 PM
Why is it that you and others cheerlead errandboys like herman cain and allen west but anyone that tells blacks to stand up for themselves, don't take any mess and be proud of who they are you call them racists, and accuse them of hating whites and christians?

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see calling someone an Uncle Tom or a house slave as being equivalent to telling someone to stand up for themselves.

I am positive that if someone was referring to me as a cracker or honkey that I would not take it to mean that they were trying to motivate me to be proud of being white.

mrveggieman
04-17-2012, 01:37 PM
Maybe it's just me, but I don't see calling someone an Uncle Tom or a house slave as being equivalent to telling someone to stand up for themselves.

I am positive that if someone was referring to me as a cracker or honkey that I would not take it to mean that they were trying to motivate me to be proud of being white.

I can't speak what motivates you to be proud to be white since I am not white. That is a discussion that I would have no place in. However I am going to call out a sellout when I see one. If cain, west or anyone else like them has a problem with that then I suggest that they take a long look in the mirror and do some serious soul searching.

BGT Masters
04-17-2012, 03:34 PM

x2

duane1969
04-17-2012, 03:46 PM
I can't speak what motivates you to be proud to be white since I am not white. That is a discussion that I would have no place in. However I am going to call out a sellout when I see one. If cain, west or anyone else like them has a problem with that then I suggest that they take a long look in the mirror and do some serious soul searching.

Part of the fallacy with your position is you have failed to show how West is a sellout. And what is he "selling out"?

AUTaxMan
04-17-2012, 11:38 PM
Sorry yall. I was just keepin it real. We all know it's true.