PDA

View Full Version : 6 Year Old Handcuffed & Taken To Police Station For Throwing Tantrum

duane1969
04-17-2012, 12:17 PM
I am not sure if I am more appalled that the school officials were so lame that they needed police assistance or that the police felt the need to handcuff a 6 year old and put her in a holding cell at the police station.

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/04/17/11245913-kindergartner-handcuffed-taken-to-police-station-after-allegedly-throwing-tantrum-and-furniture?lite

Star_Cards
04-17-2012, 02:18 PM
I'm not a parent, but is this the worst thing they could have done? It sounds like she was very out of control and while I agree that school officials should have been able to contain the child, to...

BGT Masters
04-17-2012, 02:29 PM
Maybe it will scare the little brat into behaving from now on. I have no problem with it. Some schools would have paddled her for behaving like that. Not sure the rules in Georgia but I remember being in school and if you misbehaved you'd get the paddle. The problem this day and age is if the principle would have had left marks on the child trying to stop the tantrum they'd lose their job. Calling the cops is probably the safest thing to do if you care about your job.

habsheaven
04-17-2012, 02:38 PM
I have no problem with it. Sounds like the kid has issues that have yet to be addressed. It's a shame they have taken the strap out of the schools.

BGT Masters
04-17-2012, 02:41 PM
I have no problem with it. Sounds like the kid has issues that have yet to be addressed. It's a shame they have taken the strap out of the schools.

Have they? I have been to schools in four different states and 2 of them allowed it. Texas and Tennessee. And had no problem with it when I was in school nor do I now. Sometimes warnings and timeouts just don't cut it.

duane1969
04-17-2012, 02:44 PM
Speaking from the perspective of a parent and a teacher, I think there are better ways to deal with a 6 year old throwing a tantrum than calling the police and having the child handcuffed and removed from the premises.

Also, they say that policy requires handcuffs on all passengers. Fine. But if they handcuffed her and took her to the police station, was she not under arrest? Is there such a thing as handcuffing a person, taking them to the police station, putting them in a holding cell and they are not under arrest? If she wasn't under arrest then how did they have the legal right to remove her from school property without the parent's permission?

In all reality, I think there is too much gray area here. When the cops start dealing with school discipline issues then either the school needs an overhaul or the police are overstepping their boundaries...or both.

AThrash37DSnyder
04-17-2012, 02:55 PM
I have 100% no problem with it

In fact I think it should happen more often if kids are acting like this

What is a 10 minutes timeout going to teach a kid? Nothing

Also, good parenting :(

pghin08
04-17-2012, 03:15 PM
speaking from the perspective of a parent and a teacher, i think there are better ways to deal with a 6 year old throwing a tantrum than calling the police and having the child handcuffed and removed from the premises.

Also, they say that policy requires handcuffs on all passengers. Fine. But if they handcuffed her and took her to the police station, was she not under arrest? Is there such a thing as handcuffing a person, taking them to the police station, putting them in a holding cell and they are not under arrest? If she wasn't under arrest then how did they have the legal right to remove her from school property without the parent's permission?

In all reality, i think there is too much gray area here. When the cops start dealing with school discipline issues then either the school needs an overhaul or the police are overstepping their boundaries...or both.

+1. Plus, where did they find such tiny handcuffs?

TitansFan
04-17-2012, 04:15 PM
Speaking from my experience in military law enforcement, you are absolutely correct. We are allowed to cuff (detain) an individual on site, but the moment we put them in the car and transport them, they become apprehended (arrested) keep in mind civilian law may be different.

Speaking from the perspective of a parent and a teacher, I think there are better ways to deal with a 6 year old throwing a tantrum than calling the police and having the child handcuffed and removed from the premises.

In all reality, I think there is too much gray area here. When the cops start dealing with school discipline issues then either the school needs an overhaul or the police are overstepping their boundaries...or both.

duane1969
04-17-2012, 10:33 PM
They probably used flexicuffs. <br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
Obviously I don't know the laws of every state, but I think that as a general rule, if you are taken to the police station and put in a cell then that qualifies...

Star_Cards
04-18-2012, 09:02 AM
I read a bit more about this after my post. I thought I read where there's a state law that says teachers can't physically detain a student without the presence of a police officer. I couldn't find the story that mentioned that this morning.

Star_Cards
04-18-2012, 09:06 AM
I thought a person could be detained by handcuffs and placed in a cell but not be under arrest. Similar to when they take a drunk in but may not actually arrest them. I'm not sure how that actually...

duane1969
04-18-2012, 11:29 AM
Apparently they actually did arrest her and have charged her with simple assault and damage to property. <br />

pspstatus
04-19-2012, 03:38 PM
Wow man how are they gonna charge a 6 year old? It's bananas.

CincinnatiKelly
04-19-2012, 04:00 PM
Give her the chair! lol

Star_Cards
04-19-2012, 04:12 PM
I'm not sure she needs to be charged with anything. I'd make her parents pay for the damage or make her work it off at school or something. Hopefully the girl learned a lesson from her outburst.

pspstatus
04-20-2012, 12:29 AM
Give her the chair! lol

I don't know, that might be too good for such a hardened criminal. :cool:

shrewsbury
04-20-2012, 08:48 AM
parents will have to pay, a six year old isn't able to.

Poorcupcake
04-20-2012, 09:03 AM
I have 100% no problem with it

In fact I think it should happen more often if kids are acting like this

What is a 10 minutes timeout going to teach a kid? Nothing

Also, good parenting :(

Well said! Now there will be public outcry, and people will side with the parents. Heaven forbid we teach a child to take responsibility for actions.

duane1969
04-20-2012, 09:19 AM
That wouldn't accomplish anything. 6-year olds can't comprehend the value of being made to work to repay for the damage she did. Forgive me for going all psychiatrist on you... <br />
<br />
Around 6 years old...