PDA

View Full Version : AZ bill to teach bible in public schools passes senate goes to govenor

mrveggieman
04-20-2012, 08:10 AM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/12/arizona-bible-course-bill_n_1422129.html

I don't have a problem with the bible being taught as an elective but I do have a problem that other religious books do not have their own class. Also if the books were switched and it was a class being taught about the Koran I guarantee that everyone who is cheerleading this would be up in arms.

shrewsbury
04-20-2012, 08:50 AM
I have to agree and there would be no way to cover all religions, there would have to be more teachers and more classes

duane1969
04-20-2012, 08:54 AM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/12/arizona-bible-course-bill_n_1422129.html

I don't have a problem with the bible being taught as an elective but I do have a problem that other religious books do not have their own class. Also if the books were switched and it was a class being taught about the Koran I guarantee that everyone who is cheerleading this would be up in arms.

I agree that the option to teach other religious texts should exist, but it may not be an option. To do so would require a qualified, licensed teacher that is also qualified to teach that religion. Licensed teachers who are Christians are everywhere. Licensed teachers who are Muslim, Hindu, Sikh or Buddhist are much smaller in numbers.

Then there becomes the issue of the logical value of it based on student interest. The logistics of paying a teacher a yearly salary, tying up a classroom, purchasing relevant text and adding it to the curriculum is not justified if only 1 or 2 students want to take it. Even colleges require a minimum number of registered students for a course before they will offer it.

There would probably be enough interest in some larger schools in a course on Islam to justify the logistics of a classroom and text books, but the major hurdle of finding a licensed teacher to teach the course would remain.

duane1969
04-20-2012, 09:00 AM
And following up, looking at the direction of the course, it isn't really a "course to teach the Bible".

...course titled "The Bible and its influence on Western Culture," which would include lessons on the history, literature and influence of the Old and New testaments on laws, government and culture, among other aspects of society.

Playing the "equal time" aspect on this would make no sense. Islam, Hindu and Buddhism have not had a major effect on aspects of our society. My guess is that you could lump all non-Christian religions into one group and discuss their impact on our government, laws and culture in a matter of a few hours.

habsheaven
04-20-2012, 09:01 AM
I would have taken this course back in HS if given the chance.

mrveggieman
04-20-2012, 09:03 AM
I wouldn't have a problem taking a class like this if presented in an objective and unbiased view but I wonder about the state's alterior motive for offering such a class.

*censored*
04-20-2012, 10:27 AM
I went to private, non-sectarian schools my whole life. We studied a lot with the Bible in high school. I see no problem with teaching it in a school setting, as long as it's not a case of teaching that students must believe in it. If it's the history of the Bible, I see no problem. It's when you start pushing for prayer in school or teaching the Bible as THE truth that you hit a bad situation.

duane1969
04-20-2012, 10:31 AM
I went to private, non-sectarian schools my whole life. We studied a lot with the Bible in high school. I see no problem with teaching it in a school setting, as long as it's not a case of teaching that students must believe in it. If it's the history of the Bible, I see no problem. It's when you start pushing for prayer in school or teaching the Bible as THE truth that you hit a bad situation.

I agree. In this case it appears that the intent is not indoctrination but education on how our laws and government evolved in relation to Christian/Biblical influence. If they were trying to teach that Christianity is the one true religion or to convert people then I would take issue with it.